PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Balancing

TourFit
7th September 2010, 04:18 PM
I have just been experimenting with a change to putter feel (after a fairly ordinary day on the greens on Sat) by using the counter balancing method.

I have used a 40g TourLock weight, like the ones below...the pic shows from L to R - 100g, 80g, 60g, 40g, 30g, 20g, 12g
It is inserted in the butt end of the shaft, and is secured by tightening an Allen key which 'inflates' and expands the rubber end, thus gripping the inside of the shaft.

It gives the putter more weight under the grip and hands, supposedly increasing control. Just something different to try I guess. Arnold Palmer uses (or used) this method for ALL his clubs at one stage. It seems to be more an 'old fashioned' type of method though, these days.

So far the practice putts on the floor at the shop have been promising...I will try it out on the practise green on Sunday.

Johnny Canuck
7th September 2010, 04:32 PM
My Kirk Currie has these.

You could also just try one of your other 63 putters to save the effort.

LeftyHoges
7th September 2010, 04:34 PM
A couple of guys on Shottalk.com in the US have been using these weights and swear by them...

virge666
7th September 2010, 04:43 PM
Counter balance your driver - experiment with that one !!!

TourFit
7th September 2010, 05:24 PM
May just do that Virge...the difference in feel is pretty good to me.

I've thought about doing it for some time, just haven't got around to doing it! ;)

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 05:40 PM
Ha, you are a shit putter.

vman
7th September 2010, 05:46 PM
Counter balance your driver - experiment with that one !!!

I counter weight all the woods I assemble with graphite shafts. The counter weighting approximates the feel of the steel shafted irons. I have developed a formula to calculate the weight necessary but it generally works out to about 20 grams. I also counter weight my putters to feel. Generally the weight I require is about 40 grams. I make my own counter weights (at a cost of less than $1) and include them as standard in all the clubs I assemble. The counter weights have virtually no effect on the MOI of the club and so are a great way to increase feel without making the club too heavy to swing.

TourFit
7th September 2010, 06:44 PM
Ha, you are a shit putter.

Yep...I had 37 putts for the day I believe. (Still, it'd be a good day for you though, I reckon!)

I counter weight all the woods I assemble with graphite shafts. The counter weighting approximates the feel of the steel shafted irons. I have developed a formula to calculate the weight necessary but it generally works out to about 20 grams. I also counter weight my putters to feel. Generally the weight I require is about 40 grams. I make my own counter weights (at a cost of less than $1) and include them as standard in all the clubs I assemble. The counter weights have virtually no effect on the MOI of the club and so are a great way to increase feel without making the club too heavy to swing.

Willing to share how you do it and what you use?...PM me if you like.

vman
7th September 2010, 07:06 PM
Willing to share how you do it and what you use?...PM me if you like.

They are simple weights, the same shape as those you have shown above but not as complex. I just use lead bell fishing sinkers (<$1) and beat them into a similar shape to a tip weight with a hammer. Each one takes me about 10 minutes. This is OK for me as I am a low volume clubmaker, but would no doubt work out time prohibitive for the larger volume clubmaker.

razaar
7th September 2010, 08:36 PM
They are simple weights, the same shape as those you have shown above but not as complex. I just use lead bell fishing sinkers (<$1) and beat them into a similar shape to a tip weight with a hammer. Each one takes me about 10 minutes. This is OK for me as I am a low volume clubmaker, but would no doubt work out time prohibitive for the larger volume clubmaker.
Air hose and a screw is an alternative . The hose is the same dia. as the inside dia of the shaft with the screw a little larger than the hose hole. The screw insures the hose stays fixed in place inside the butt of the shaft and can be easily removed. Of course the grip has to be removed to install and remove. The air hose is readily available from Clark Rubber and costs bugger all.

TourFit
7th September 2010, 09:18 PM
What if you wanna weight it up by 40g plus? Would air hose and a screw reach that kind of weight? I wouldn't think so...

Veefore
9th September 2010, 09:29 AM
Use a bigger (longer) screw.

razaar
9th September 2010, 09:34 AM
What if you wanna weight it up by 40g plus? Would air hose and a screw reach that kind of weight? I wouldn't think so...
You may be surprised? I had no trouble when I experimented with counter weighting. One end can be sealed and weight added inside the hose. This option applies when the hose length is restricted by the taper of the shaft.

moree golfer
9th September 2010, 11:42 AM
Air hose and a screw is an alternative . The hose is the same dia. as the inside dia of the shaft with the screw a little larger than the hose hole. The screw insures the hose stays fixed in place inside the butt of the shaft and can be easily removed. Of course the grip has to be removed to install and remove. The air hose is readily available from Clark Rubber and costs bugger all.
Thanks Razaar I might try that method out.

vman
9th September 2010, 04:33 PM
While there is no scientific basis for counter weighting golf clubs, the advantage is better feel for the grip end of the club. Modern drivers, especially, are very long with very light shafts. This provides similar 'clubhead' feel to older clubs with shorter, heavier shafts but it lessens the feel for the butt end of the club. This tends the golfer to release the club too early (flipping) with the longer clubs and excessive wristiness with the putter. I am not aware of a single person who has counter weighted either driver or putter and has had worse results but I know many who have improved dramatically with both.

Yossarian
9th September 2010, 04:49 PM
Interesting stuff guys!

TourFit
9th September 2010, 05:14 PM
Hey Yoss...feel like a putter experiment?

Wouldn't mind using you as a 'guinea pig', what have you got to lose?

I won't even be charging you anything, I'll fit & lend you the counter weight.

Yossarian
9th September 2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah why not.

TourFit
9th September 2010, 05:24 PM
What putter you gonna use when you're selling me the Betti BC2?

(On second thoughts...it won't matter!)

Yossarian
9th September 2010, 05:25 PM
Trayolr made/ my wedge.

TourFit
9th September 2010, 05:43 PM
As I said...it'll hardly matter in your your case ;)

Yossarian
9th September 2010, 05:46 PM
Seriously though, I may go back to the TM. And a grip change.

But this CB is kinda interesting.

Pieface
9th September 2010, 05:55 PM
Had a swing at TF of a counterbalanced putter. Definitely puts the weight in your hands. Probably good for rectifying those 6" misses (are you serious Yoss!!) not sure how well that type of feel would translate to lag putting though :?

TourFit
9th September 2010, 07:00 PM
I'd say that the jumbo grip will add weight under the hands for sure...and then the counter balancing weight will add as well.

Might suggest a slightly built up Midsize grip to start with Yoss, and then about 40-60g in the shaft butt.

The best way I can describe it, is to imagine a 'normal' putter and the sense of head weight/feel...with the counter balancing I am getting the feeling that I'm now putting my hands and NOT the putter head on the end of the shaft. The balance feels more 'hand orientated'. It's difficult to explain in feel terms, but I feel like there's less 'manipulation' or movement in the putter going on.

vman
9th September 2010, 07:07 PM
Gotta be careful not to add too much weight because you may end up losing some clubhead feel but a fair amount of weight can be added before this happens.

Flavzz
9th September 2010, 09:31 PM
interesting reading. I have an Odyssey White Hot Long neck #6 which I am now trialling which 'Feels' a little light in the head even tho the actual weight is normal, this could be a good method to give it more feel...

vman
9th September 2010, 09:57 PM
interesting reading. I have an Odyssey White Hot Long neck #6 which I am now trialling which 'Feels' a little light in the head even tho the actual weight is normal, this could be a good method to give it more feel...
Flavzz, counter balancing will not make the head feel heavier. The whole club, yes, but not the head.

Flavzz
10th September 2010, 04:03 AM
Ok thanks Vman. That could be good still.

Biggles
11th September 2010, 07:10 PM
Tourfit where abouts do you purchase the weights and how much are they?

Also does it require any modifying of the grip end in anyway?

TourFit
13th September 2010, 07:20 PM
I get mine thrown in with Golfworks/Golfsmith orders...ex USA.

Depending on the shaft, you may have to remove the end of the grip to fit the weight in through the end. It comes with the cutter I believe, you just use it in a drill to hole the grip end

MegaWatty
4th March 2011, 10:47 PM
I tried Fit's counter balanced Scotty today. It feels amazing! The weight seemed to keep the hands and wrists locked nicely and the head just followed the hands. I think I will be doing it to my putter real soon! If fit doesn't have any weights left, I might jump in on the Golfworks order.

dean0820
5th March 2011, 01:19 PM
sounds like what my putter needs. it still feels just a bit light to me but i don't want to add more weight to the head.
might tape a spanner to the grip and see how i go.

Yossarian
5th March 2011, 02:17 PM
Would my massive grip be doing the same thing?

Iain
5th March 2011, 06:56 PM
Would my massive grip be doing the same thing?

Depends on how much heavier the fat grip is compared to a normal one. But most likely to some degree, yes.

dean0820
7th March 2011, 01:49 AM
have the guys who posted in this thread last year got any feedback?
how did it go, and have you continued with it?

Daves
20th August 2011, 12:27 PM
Copied from the Harrison Shotmaker thread;

QUOTE=just;680378]Balance Certified (http://www.balance-certified.com/)?[/QUOTE]

There's a thread on Golfwrx about Sergio's counterbalance.

Marty's been experimenting with them, had 150g in his irons and 100's in his woods I believe.

"Them" refers to;

http://www.balance-certified.com/

There are also the Tour Lock systems;

http://www.tourlockpro.com/result.html

goonie
13th September 2011, 12:43 PM
Any recommendations for starting points for the driver, hybrid and irons? I am testing a homemade 20g temp weight in the driver and that feels pretty good but don't know what to try in the irons and hybrid, and I am looking at getting some Tour lock Pros.