PDA

View Full Version : Golf Courses on the Sunshine Coast.

Flowergirl
10th May 2005, 12:35 PM
Flowerman (John) and i are planning a trip to Coolum next month. Who has played where up there and what courses are good. Don't mind paying at a couple of Up market courses - but only if it is worth it. Any ideas??? What about the less well known courses?
Does anyone live in that area? It would be nice to be able to catch up with some of you guys and say hello. :wink:

AndyP
10th May 2005, 12:45 PM
FG, my home club, Nambour, is on the Sunshine Coast. It's not much more than an hour north of Brisbane.

Let me know what dates you will be here and I will try to make that a weekend I stay on the Coast.

The upmarket courses are Hyatt Coolum, Noosa Springs, Pelican Waters, Twin Waters, and Peregian Springs. But there are plenty of other nice public courses around too.

I'm sure there is a previous thread about this. I'll have a look.

AndyP
10th May 2005, 01:00 PM
http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=941

http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1273

Nambour aside, Hyatt Coolum is my fave, followed by Pelican.

peter_rs
10th May 2005, 01:12 PM
Pelican, Tiwn waters and Caloudra & Head lands

all good.

goughy
10th May 2005, 04:38 PM
My wifes family live in bli-bli (5 mins from coolum) so I might be able to amble up that way too.  Maybe for another horton park or caloundra game.  I couldn't afford the upmarket stuff tho  :(

I see another ozgolf day on the cards.  You'll be shocked how many you'll get to a game up the north coast.  It's only an hour or so from brisbane.

ps clikchic is dying to meet you. I think that means I may have permission for a game 8)

markTHEblake
10th May 2005, 05:37 PM
What about the less well known courses?

A couple of hidden gems are Noosa Valley and Cooroy. Both 9 holers, not busy and will be easy on the wallet. If Noosa Valley is good enough for Tiger Woods it should be good enough for Flowerman.

Dont even think about Twin Waters, its a disgrace what they are charging to play that course, about $85. Its worth about half that.

Fishman Dan
10th May 2005, 06:12 PM
I know someone who recently joined at Cooroy - it's a 13-hole course or something? I think they are planning the expansion at present.

Choppa
10th May 2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah another OZgolf day with the visiting southerners at Horton Park would be great......I might even hang around to play this time. :?

It was wet I tells ya :oops:

AndyP
10th May 2005, 07:11 PM
Yeah another OZgolf day with the visiting southerners at Horton Park would be great......I might even hang around to play this time. :?

It was wet I tells ya :oops:
So were the roads, but that didn't stop you from driving home.

You missed an adventure. :roll:

Jarro
10th May 2005, 07:42 PM
i'll be in a game up the North coast in early June (if that's when it's planned for)

i'll be on holidays then 8)

damoocow
11th May 2005, 10:35 AM
blakey wrote

A couple of hidden gems are Noosa Valley

I would suggest you avoid Noosa Valley if only for the reason that they do not allow kids to play at ANY time - or even be on the course, I would hardly say that is in the spirit of fostering the game [regardless of the fact that sometimes kids can be a right pain !]

damoocow

markTHEblake
11th May 2005, 09:41 PM
also avoid Horton Park on Thursdays after 2pm, place is chock full of boofhead schoolteachers.

Jarro
12th May 2005, 05:44 AM
Horton Park looked a nice track, i wouldn't mind going back there for another hit :wink:

Flowergirl
12th May 2005, 08:00 AM
It would be great to catch up for a game with as many as you guys and gals :wink:
Hows about one of you start up a thread in 1st Tee for me for a game on Sat aft or Sunday.
John and I have organised a package where we play at Hyatt, Noosa Springs and I've forgooten the other??? during the week - so we don't mind where we play.
Maybe a few ( quite a few) drinks and a meal afterwards?
I'll leave it up to you guys. :wink:

AndyP
12th May 2005, 08:51 AM
Hows about  one of you start up a thread in 1st Tee for me for a game on Sat aft or Sunday.
Hows about you supply us with a date first?

AndyP
20th June 2005, 02:14 PM
John and I have organised a package where we play at Hyatt, Noosa Springs and I've forgooten the other??? during the week - so we don't mind where we play.
OK, so you have given Twin Waters the thumbs up.
Did you drop Noosa Springs off the list, and play Hyatt? How was it?

Flowergirl
20th June 2005, 02:42 PM
The Hyatt was good.......but we played there the day before we went home and we were down in the dumps. We both played bad...couldn't get a good game happening.
The course is - well I don't know - forgettable. :shock: I know that seems very strange seeing the prestige that it holds - but there was nothing that really made me say - Wow - I'm playing at Hyatt Coolum. Does that make sense?
Maybe cos this was the course I was looking forward to the most - I'd probably "talked it up" in my mind too much.

AndyP
20th June 2005, 03:02 PM
You had to appreciate the par 3 6th, hitting straight at Mount Coolum, didn't you?

Flowergirl
20th June 2005, 03:07 PM
You had to appreciate the par 3 6th, hitting straight at Mount Coolum, didn't you?

Must have been one of the only times I kept my head down :shock: :wink:

markTHEblake
20th June 2005, 04:23 PM
are you saying you liked Twin Waters better than Coolum?

Flowergirl
20th June 2005, 04:37 PM
are you saying you liked Twin Waters better than Coolum?
Our day at Twin Waters was pure magic. We played good golf.....the weather was perfect....the drinks cart made frquent trips.....we laughed with and at each other......a day I will remember when I'm old...yea ok.......older. Also gotta love the nice wide fairways :wink:

AndyP
27th December 2006, 09:23 PM
Here is the list of people that have now played Nambour GC in an OZgolf day:

AndyP
Iain
Eag's
steverawlo
andylo
Rusty
PeteyD
CobraSS
jarro
Choppa
Goughy
KelvinC
Brad
Amanda
markTHEblake
DaveMason

Seems like enough to have a discussion and make some comments on the course and the club itself. What are some of the positive and negative things you've found about the place?

BrisVegas
27th December 2006, 09:48 PM
one day...

Jarro
28th December 2006, 05:04 AM
negatives : greens are too small and the place is too hilly

positives : the price is right

goughy
28th December 2006, 06:04 AM
Really Jarro nailed it. The hills probably take some of the shine off of it. When you see one of those motorised rope thingies to help pull you up from the 9th (or was it 18th) to the clubhouse you know you're in trouble. Greens weren't massive but oh well, everyone else has to play the same course. Price is right and if I moved to the coast it would probably have been the club I joined, but it is very close to where I'd have been living.

Heck it's a golf course. You go out and hit balls on it. What more do you want?

I think its ccr comes in well under par often dosen't it. Didn't you get .1 back recently for 37pts Andy? Personally I find it hard to get it into my head when playing a course that you have to think of it's par as several shots less for handicap purposes. But that's cause I'm lazy.

AndyP
28th December 2006, 11:18 AM
Par is 68, ACR is 65. CCR off the whites the other day was 64. And the CCR for the Champs rounds is typically 67 or 68.

There are a lot of hills and I guess if only nine holes were like that and the other nine were on flat land, it wouldn't be a problem. They can wear you down.

I'm not sure about the price being right, as both Beerwah and Nudgee are now cheaper for a visitor. Which I think is disappointing. Of course, the $10 Sunday comp is a bargain.

The greens are small, but I wouldn't say too small. It's just the characteristic of the course, the same way Ocean Shores greens are massive. With the length of the course, quite often you are using wedges or short irons into the greens, so does the target really need to be that big? It certainly tests out your chipping for inaccurate iron players like myself.

I don't know what the deal is with the different types of grass on a few of the greens, and I've never really asked. It's not something that affects my game, but I'm sure it could affect others putting.

goughy
28th December 2006, 11:28 AM
I enjoyed my game at Pelican Waters with andyp and his family the other day. At $35 with carts it was a bargain. But at the retail price of $150pp I wouldn't touch it. But I am spoilt with lots of cheap courses around and the fact that I'll play on a goat track and putt into a rabbit hole if it means I get to play golf :)

PeteyD
28th December 2006, 11:32 AM
I like Nambour except for the rain. The hill at the end of the 18th is a bitch, as is the 18th green.

I really like the 11th and 3rd tees. the greens are small and tricky, but you need that on a short course or the CCR would be coming in at 60.