PDA

View Full Version : Golf has a new choker: Sergio Garcia

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 06:36 PM
He choked. Even par round when those around him were deep into the 60's. He was ahead by 6 shots last night wasn't he?

3oneday
9th May 2005, 07:02 PM
You trying to get one-up on McMw :?

He hasn't contended for a while, hopefully this will be the start of a mini comeback, if you like.

Some of you guys read too many newspapers, how about some positives :roll: :wink: , there are enough negatives we read and hear about all day every day.

Pete

Jarro
9th May 2005, 07:05 PM
i agree with Pete.

Let's concentrate on the fact that he was good enough to be 6 shots ahead after 3 rounds ... not a bad effort at all ... and over a quality field as well.

I think the Tour needs more players like Sergio to finish up there near the top, the guy has so much character 8)

goughy
9th May 2005, 07:53 PM
I was hoping he'd win too. But 7 of the guys in the top ten shot final rounds of -5 or better. But that's the nature of the game.

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 09:48 PM
C'mon Pete / Jarro, you're too soft.

He's 6 shots up, and shoots par on a setup that no one else struggled with. 1 under for the day and he wins the comp.

Choked.

McMw
9th May 2005, 10:17 PM
life is not full of roses...call it like it is!!!

Sergio choked...he didn't make ONE putt from outside 4ft 2inch....

he did hit some great shots (2nd into the 15th was AWESOME), but how could he miss that putt???

what abt that "topped" drive off the 13th???

great to see him in contention...would have love to have seen him win, but Vj winning is better....

Wadkins and Nantz are already saying that his (sergio) putting will get worse...

3oneday
10th May 2005, 04:12 AM
You blokes just don't get it do you :!: :!:

He shoots rounds of 66, 71, 67, 72, gee he must have gone close to choking in the 2nd round as well.

Do you recall when Els lead a tournament over here by 7 or 8, and Adam Scott caught him. I believe it was the day after he shots a 62 or something... am I being too subtle :?: :?: it is hard for these guys to shoot the lights out day after day.

Lonard :?: :?: he choked as well, didn't he :?: oh, hang on, he won :P :P

Conduct a historical before you call someone a choker, you might actually learn a few things about golf ????

Life isn't full of roses, but when you have actually been in the position these guys have been in, you might be better qualified to pass judgement. :wink:

Fishman Dan
10th May 2005, 08:13 AM
You blokes just don't get it do you  :!:  :!:

He shoots rounds of 66, 71, 67, 72, gee he must have gone close to choking in the 2nd round as well.

Do you recall when Els lead a tournament over here by 7 or 8, and Adam Scott caught him. I believe it was the day after he shots a 62 or something... am I being too subtle  :?:  :?:  it is hard for these guys to shoot the lights out day after day.

Lonard  :?:  :?: he choked as well, didn't he  :?: oh, hang on, he won  :P  :P

Conduct a historical before you call someone a choker, you might actually learn a few things about golf ????

Life isn't full of roses, but when you have actually been in the position these guys have been in, you might be better qualified to pass judgement.  :wink:

Golf history is full of chokers. Lonard was gasping for air when he fell over the line recently. Coles, albeit outclassed, should have finished top 10 - i'd go as far to consider his result a choke. Els was being caught by a Red Hot Scott - he didn't so much choke than hold off a fast finishing runner-up. Jean Van der Veldt choked. Norman made a habit of choking. I had 21 points on the front a New Brighton, but choked with 14 on the back 9, I should come out on top of the OzGolfers that day.

Garcia's name was on the cup - even you can admit that. He got caught by the entire field, who as it was said above, all managed mid-60 rounds. I admire their 'steel' - but he choked.

I was hoping Sergio would win and fully expected him to do it. He didn't have to shoot the lights out - he had to come in sub-par. He choked.

markTHEblake
10th May 2005, 08:22 AM
does anyone actually know what choking is.

Sergio is not the first golfer to have a bad day, and won't be the last. and certainly most of us are going to be the next.

peter_rs
10th May 2005, 08:30 AM
he didn't choke par just is not a good day at the office when you are playing the worlds best. There are few events out side the majors where par on the last day will win it for you.

3oneday
10th May 2005, 08:38 AM
He didn't have to shoot the lights out - he had to come in sub-par. He choked.so, there you go folks, the next person to shoot even par in the last round of a tournament is a choker, win or lose :shock: :?

You missed the point, it is the ability to back up after a hot round, the ability to compete when you haven't been in the position to win for a while (ala Sergio), is it choking ?? or is it your mind racing to complete, protect and not embarrass :?: :?:

As much as your score irked you, was it a choke, or simply that you had played like a tosser for so long, you had forgotten how to complete your round ??? :wink:

Go with MTB, define choke, it is too subjective, is forgetting how to compete/complete choking, IMHO no... :D

Pete

AndyP
10th May 2005, 08:44 AM
Too much focus on the score.

It would be a choke if he was not executing the shots that he would every other day of the week.
Perhaps the missed putts and topped drive that McMw spoke of were part of "choking".

I didn't see him play and I don't know his mental state at the time, so how can I say if he was choking. It's not something you can tell by looking at a scoreboard.

Fishman Dan
10th May 2005, 08:47 AM
As much as your score irked you, was it a choke, or simply that you had played like a tosser for so long, you had forgotten how to complete your round ??? :wink:

That's a fair call too. But in my case of sheer amateurism, it was more due to consistency, and perhaps even fitness. I'm not realled irked though, because i hit the ball well *most* of the day. I'm not far off now (compared to May 2004), though i'm more inclined to think i threw away a good start.

But enough about me (for now ;)), top-shelf athletes should be able to finish what they started. Golf is tough because it's over 4 days. Mau will attest to seeing SG miss numerous 'makeable' short putts (not me, i based my judgement purely on PGATour.com's scoreboard :lol:). 2 or 3 shot leads can dissolve rapidly... but 6 shots :shock: :lol:

Choked 8)

Jarro
10th May 2005, 08:57 AM
i saw him 3 putt the first playoff hole, and in my opinion, he should have made the birdie putt for sure .... it was only around 6-7 feet :roll:

McMw
10th May 2005, 08:59 AM
this is their job....

if I choked...so what???
I'm not getting paid to play this stupid game... :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
10th May 2005, 09:02 AM
if I choked...so what???

I can think of about 500000 reasons to be a little concerned ;)