PDA

View Full Version : Mission Hills - China

Bruce Dickinson
31st August 2010, 07:57 PM
I'm looking at a possible trip to Mission Hills in March 2011.

Anyone been to Mission Hills and and any advice on golf/travel in China in general? Any feedback would be appreciated. The visa requirements in the brief research I've done look a bit tricky for example?

IanO
14th September 2010, 11:48 AM
I travel into China regularly and getting a Visa is pretty easy ... you just have to give yourself enough time to get through their processes if you don't have a local sponsor.

The only course I have played in China is in Xi'an, and, typical of China, it is beautifully done (Jack Nicklaus design). It is expensive to play, compared to Australia, and they expect you to take a cart and a caddy (the cheapest part of the outing). The caddies I met had spoke very limited English but really understood the distances (in yards) and provided a great read of the greens.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/19006-Xi-an-Yajian-International-Golf-Course-China

Bruce Dickinson
17th September 2010, 10:17 PM
cheers Ian, we've arranged six nights at Mission Hills in March 2011. If we go with a package it includes six rounds, also talking direct with Mission Hills to see what they can offer.

Games arranged at Royal Hong Kong GC, and Laguna National and Orchid CC in Singapore as well

Reciprocal memberships come in handy :lol:

TS
18th September 2010, 01:17 AM
The Norman is the best course in Mission Hills, the others are OK. Conditions can be a bit vary depending on time of the year.

I think Wind Valley is the best course around that area, much more interesting than MH.

I stayed at MH the first time, but I prefer to stay outside the golf course. Food outside is 20% of the price than MH charges. And hotel is at one third of the price.

Eden is the best course out of the 3 in HK golf club.

Bruce Dickinson
20th September 2010, 05:28 PM
TS
Out of the 12 courses, apart from the Norman course what would be the other five you would recommend?

TS
21st September 2010, 09:05 AM
Bruce

I haven't play all 12 course, so I can't tell about the one that I haven't play. And one of the 12 is a Par 3 course, I don't think you want to play that one.

This is in order of my preference, but your taste may be different to mine

Norman
Olazabal
Duval
Peter Dye
Faldo

The 2 courses that I am not keen to play on again are

Els
Vijay

The others I don't know as I haven't play them.

Try not to play on weekend in China, it will be 6 hours round. And you be struck behind people that takes 5 minutes to setup and then hit the ball 50m.

IanO
22nd September 2010, 01:57 PM
Try not to play on weekend in China, it will be 6 hours round. And you be struck behind people that takes 5 minutes to setup and then hit the ball 50m.
+1 - bloody hopeless

Bruce Dickinson
22nd September 2010, 02:22 PM
we had one game arranged for Sunday afternoon, the rest are weekdays. Do they serve alcohol on course, might help the slow round..

TS
22nd September 2010, 03:18 PM
The do sell alcohol, but you pay thru your nose for any anything within Mission Hills.

Stop on your way to Mission Hills and stock up on beer and water. Bottle of water will cost 25 RMB in Mission Hills while it cost less than 1 RMB outside. Exchange rate is about $A1 to 6RMB.

The same apply to food price in the restaurants in Mission Hills. It is a lot more expensive and I would find it quite boring to eat int he same restaurant for the whole week.

Bruce Dickinson
22nd September 2010, 06:24 PM
The do sell alcohol, but you pay thru your nose for any anything within Mission Hills.

Stop on your way to Mission Hills and stock up on beer and water. Bottle of water will cost 25 RMB in Mission Hills while it cost less than 1 RMB outside. Exchange rate is about $A1 to 6RMB.

The same apply to food price in the restaurants in Mission Hills. It is a lot more expensive and I would find it quite boring to eat int he same restaurant for the whole week.
cheers TS, whats around Mission Hills for entertainment/restaurants ?

Is Shenzhen the nearest city?

TS
22nd September 2010, 06:44 PM
There are restaurants near Mission Hills. They are more for the local, but I don't think you will like them. It is quite a contract between inside and outside the gates to Mission Hills.

There are plenty of cities within half and hour to an hour. But it is a bit tricky if you don't speak Chinese.

Shenzhen is probably the worst in term of crime, so you need to be extra careful in Shenzhen.

Bruce Dickinson
19th January 2011, 07:11 PM
Been a slight change of plans and now going to the China Golf Show in Beijing as well. Any decent tracks in Beijing worth looking at?

Bruce Dickinson
1st March 2011, 04:34 PM
off next week, anyone flown with Air China? Trying to figure out whether its worth taking clubs and taking a gamble with excess luggage charges, or just hire them

Bruce Dickinson
10th March 2011, 12:46 PM
any advice on caddies, particulary in regards to what you tip them?

Stuartd147
10th March 2011, 12:52 PM
My next door neighbour is going to Mission Hills tomorrow, he is basing himself there and going to be in China for 10-12 days! I did not know much about the place before he mentioned it but it looks awesome. He is going as part of a crew to check the place out for some Huundai conferences (or so he says)..I am so jealous!

TS
10th March 2011, 01:00 PM
any advice on caddies, particulary in regards to what you tip them?

100 RMB ($A16) is the normal tips nowadays, used to be 50.

Bruce Dickinson
10th March 2011, 01:14 PM
100 RMB ($A16) is the normal tips nowadays, used to be 50.

cheers TS. Silly question but what's there main role, is it just course advice?

Bruce Dickinson
29th March 2011, 04:20 PM
couple of snaps from Mission Hills and courses in Hong Kong. Will start another thread for Kau Sai Chau in Hong Kong, it would rank as one of the best totally public golf facilities anywhere

Olazabel - 15th

Norman - 14th

Faldo - 16th

Clearwater Bay - 3rd tee

Kau Sai Chau - East course view

Marto65
29th March 2011, 04:23 PM
That Faldo is such a knob.

henno
29th March 2011, 05:04 PM
Sweet bunkery jesus! That first photo is crazy. Although the last pic is fantastic.

Bruce Dickinson
29th March 2011, 05:18 PM
apparentley Olazabel was a good bunker player, so he designed a course with lots of bunkers

PeteyD
29th March 2011, 05:49 PM
Looks like some sort of fungal infection.

Bruce Dickinson
29th March 2011, 05:57 PM
Looks like some sort of fungal infection.

It was actually an enjoyable course to play, plenty of room from the tee and nice movement around the greens. The fungal infection was on the green, poor condition on all courses except the world cup course.

Bruce Dickinson
29th March 2011, 06:14 PM
Faldo Course - short par 4 2nd. Layup left or take on the green down the right

Els Course - 3rd hole, one of the few decent holes on that course. Els definitely got the worst land to use