PDA

View Full Version : New Greenkeeper at Bayview Golf Club. Who else has had this happen...

virge666
30th August 2010, 05:20 PM
My home golf course is short... in fact it is pretty butchered at present with 3 holes out of play and a couple of temp holes on the course around 100m that really kill it.

BUT...

8 weeks ago - we got a new GreenKeeper. The other bloke who had been around for a bloody long time finally got pushed. The new lad is from Asquith or Ashlar or somewhere starting with "A". David Stone is his name.

2 words . . . Frigging Amazing.

Our greens have gone from 7 years of absolute shit, soft, holes everywhere, 5 kinds of grass and stimping at 7 to hitting PW 120m from the fairway and having it bounce half the flag height and not stopping. The ball doesn't bounce all over the place and on Saturday it stimped at 11 and a half.

The temp holes are still rubbish, the course is probably PAR 45 but it is a lot of fun to play when the greens and the surrounds are in good nick. Just 38 points won A grade, 3 months ago I needed an even par round to get a ball.

Anyone else had a new superintendant just revitalise their course. I have gone from filling in the forms for Long Reef to actually thinking Bayview might be worth it in the long run.

Happy Happy days.

Grunt
30th August 2010, 05:24 PM
It is is the guy from Ashlar he is a legend. The course was always in great nick and the greens were close to the best in Western Sydney year round.

virge666
30th August 2010, 05:29 PM
It is is the guy from Ashlar he is a legend. The course was always in great nick and the greens were close to the best in Western Sydney year round.

Grant,

The bloke is a dead set magician. It took 4 weeks to see the changes he has made... and all during the wettest 6 weeks of the year.

I seriously do not have the words to describe the difference in the golf course, it is like he has sprinkled pixie dust on the course. We just got cored today, so no idea how long it will take to sort itself out... but I cannot wait till mid spring when the ball is going further and the heat starts to kick in.

Bayview will be sensational.

henno
30th August 2010, 05:33 PM
Send him to my club for a few weeks; lord knows we need it.

sms316
30th August 2010, 06:12 PM
Send him to my club for a few weeks; lord knows we need it.

Pacific will always be shit.

henno
30th August 2010, 06:19 PM
Pacific will always be shit.

I'm talking about the course, not the bourbon-swilling members.

:razz:

Scottt
30th August 2010, 06:37 PM
I hear the membwers at Killara are saying a similar thing after today, Virge...

Ned
30th August 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm talking about the course, not the bourbon-swilling members.

:razz:

Or bourbon swilling visitors!!!

virge666
30th August 2010, 06:52 PM
Virge
Are they actually doing the changes to the course that were recommended by the committee bloke ?

Not quite sure on this - there are plans up for a 9+9 layout, par 70 or 71. There is a lot of walking in between holes which I am not a fan of though. Not sure which version is up, but we have 4 or 5 really weak holes that are in dire need of change.

I would just like to play golf a full golf course... Like Bushy says, playing on the temp holes suck.

Tongueboy
30th August 2010, 06:53 PM
ditto with Morrisset. they got a new green keeper about 18 months ago maybe longer and the difference was noticeable after 3 weeks. played today and the greens are superb. quick enough and firm

kingslayer33
30th August 2010, 07:09 PM
I was very happy when our current super arrived. Course condition has been loads better over the 2ish years he's been there despite last year being the wettest winter in 40 odd years.

(And he even supports the dees too)

Courty
30th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Cairns GC recently got the benefit of one of G69's mates moving up. He was most recently in SA, but previously spent time at Indro and was from up this way originally. The Cairns course (especially the greens) had been looking the worst I can remember since I started playing there as a junior. Brendan has been working hard and has made some significant gains. There is still a way to go, but I'm quite confident that the place is far better off with him than without him.

Outcast
30th August 2010, 07:30 PM
Cairns GC recently got the benefit of one of G69's mates moving up. He was most recently in SA, but previously spent time at Indro and was from up this way originally. The Cairns course (especially the greens) had been looking the worst I can remember since I started playing there as a junior. Brendan has been working hard and has made some significant gains. There is still a way to go, but I'm quite confident that the place is far better off with him than without him.

Gotta agree with Courty; the course is coming along in leaps and bounds since Brendan took the helm; His attention to detail is remarkable - as well as fixing the obvious and more immediate problems, little things like paths being edged, gardens being built / tidied make a huge difference to the presentation of the course. As Courty says above; there is still some ground to be gained but, if Brendan's early successes are any indication then Cairns GC is headed for good times.

Ned
30th August 2010, 07:47 PM
One of the best Green Keepers (not including BrettM of course) is now managing an Avocado Farm at Kaira.

Having said that, his replacement is starting to find his feet, but has to get through the next few months of lots of heat to be followed by some serious rain.

Mareeba has been spoilt for a number f years, this is a combination of consistent weather and good paid and volunteer staff.

BrettM
30th August 2010, 08:24 PM
Virge,

They are some nice comments you have made about your new Superintendent. Often, course comments, good or bad, are passed onto the pro shop and not directly to the course maintenance staff. And, when the comments are passed on, it is normally the complaints.

Superintendents and their staff normally enjoy a cold beer on Friday afternoon. A very good way of showing your appreciation is a carton of your finest for them to enjoy. We do get a kick out of that.

virge666
30th August 2010, 09:52 PM
Superintendents and their staff normally enjoy a cold beer on Friday afternoon. A very good way of showing your appreciation is a carton of your finest for them to enjoy. We do get a kick out of that.

A cracker of an idea. might just have to do that after coring season.

WeekendHacker
31st August 2010, 07:44 AM
Stoney is an awsome Super and a fantastic bloke. I was at Ashlar for a number of years and what he did at the course from day one he was there made the course better and better. He will certainly be missed by the members of Ashlar and is a massive positive to any golf course he is at.

moree golfer
31st August 2010, 09:45 AM
I'll have to tee it up with you again at Bayview even if the temp holes are still in play. Maybe get a few more ozgolfers along to enjoy a day out. Are you around for Christmas?

Bigship
23rd September 2010, 08:52 PM
Dave Stone left Ashlar, He's a great bloke and knows his stuff , doesn't bull sh.t and gets on with it. He will be missed badly at ashlar.Hope we get a smooth transition into stonecutters ridge in 1 yrs time

BUT...

8 weeks ago - we got a new GreenKeeper. The other bloke who had been around for a bloody long time finally got pushed. The new lad is from Asquith or Ashlar or somewhere starting with "A". David Stone is his name.

2 words . . . Frigging Amazing.

Our greens have gone from 7 years of absolute shit, soft, holes everywhere, 5 kinds of grass and stimping at 7 to hitting PW 120m from the fairway and having it bounce half the flag height and not stopping. The ball doesn't bounce all over the place and on Saturday it stimped at 11 and a half.

The temp holes are still rubbish, the course is probably PAR 45 but it is a lot of fun to play when the greens and the surrounds are in good nick. Just 38 points won A grade, 3 months ago I needed an even par round to get a ball.

Anyone else had a new superintendant just revitalise their course. I have gone from filling in the forms for Long Reef to actually thinking Bayview might be worth it in the long run.

Happy Happy days.[/QUOTE]

davepuppies
24th September 2010, 03:59 PM
Virge - sounds exciting.....

The GM mentioned they were on the hunt for a new guy.....

Now if you can only get some sand in your bunkers you will be sweet!

I will have to have a game with you there soon...... i can carry you for the last 6 holes on my buggy!

virge666
24th September 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll have to tee it up with you again at Bayview even if the temp holes are still in play. Maybe get a few more ozgolfers along to enjoy a day out. Are you around for Christmas?

Yeah mate - I will be here and waiting... come on down.

Now if you can only get some sand in your bunkers you will be sweet!

I will have to have a game with you there soon...... i can carry you for the last 6 holes on my buggy!

Ii don't know about you - but I find bunkers with very little sand much easier to play... much more predictable and just "simpler"

And yes... we need to have a game there.. !

moree golfer
24th September 2010, 05:54 PM
What the hell is that dribble written by Bigship?

Davepuppies & Virge, what about the weekend of 23/24 October? I am down in Sydneytown for a reunion dinner on the Saturday night and will be travelling down on Friday evening, leaving Sunday pm in time to get me to at least Tamworth (4 hours).

virge666
24th September 2010, 07:16 PM
What the hell is that dribble written by Bigship?

Davepuppies & Virge, what about the weekend of 23/24 October? I am down in Sydneytown for a reunion dinner on the Saturday night and will be travelling down on Friday evening, leaving Sunday pm in time to get me to at least Tamworth (4 hours).

I am in Cairns....

:)

moree golfer
24th September 2010, 07:24 PM
I am in Cairns....

:)
Bastard! Ok I'll have to get down there when you're back. Have fun. Anyhow, Davepuppies I'd be up for a game somewhere if you can play that weekend?

davepuppies
24th September 2010, 07:56 PM
You are welcome to come and have a game sat at Royal Balgowlah (LOL) on a sat.....

ParMaster
25th September 2010, 08:16 PM
Maybe NSWGC that day?? :)