PDA

View Full Version : Ozgolfer from Hong Kong

Trung
9th May 2005, 12:46 AM
Bought my centrino laptop with me (work related)...

I did a quick scan to see if there is any wireless network available. I found 3 available wireless network and managed to connect to one of them at 11mps.

I'm confused... Obviously my internet connection is for free as they don't know who I am and I don't know who they are. :lol:

If I live in HK, I would get myself a centrino laptop and use this server for free. Free internet :?: :shock: .

How could it be possible? but here I am posting without ethernet cable from my hotel room. :lol: I like it :lol:

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 01:16 AM
If it's your hotel room, you're probably paying ;) But you would have had some 'Acceptance of Terms' page, agreeing to pay through the nose ;)

macleod
9th May 2005, 09:21 AM
plenty of people who setup wireless networks don't secure their connection with wep/wpa etc. i remember the sheer pile of articles we've done at gartner about this, great fun to read and in the early days plenty of open netowkr resources around you could access unsecured :)

a guy in our building does this and I can connect to his resources easily as there's nothing setup to prevent it...im no genius but where's there's a hole....

usually in the hotel net industry you only get the network key once you agree to pay,etc

although, it could just be you're in a free hotspot over there :D check here http://www.wififreespot.com/asia.html woohoo!

as fishman said, most likely you'd need either a key or to authorise access somehow but if you connected for free.....who cares!

staying somehwere classy like the dorsett seaview like i did last time? (:lol:)

say, if you're going to the temple st markets tonight can you get me and jarro some of those "dvd's"? ;)

markTHEblake
9th May 2005, 11:14 AM
yeah, it cant be the hotel, even if it was, how could they know its you thats using it to charge you?

You could walk around the hotel with your laptop, and find a rough indication of where the source is by keeping an eye on the signal strength indicator, but why bother. Use it and dont worry about it.

Suggest not downloading 25gb of home made videos though. Excessive bandwidth use could easily trigger an investigation, and get you cut off.

Havent seen any mysterious chalk marks on walls around the hotel have you?