PDA

View Full Version : Best golf umbrella?

rodders
27th August 2010, 08:25 PM
Ok, been through two smoothys that have exploded in the wind (under warranty TF), but have no faith in them at all.

Those in Vic would know we have had a bit of wind lately and this is what has done the damage.

Have one of those umbrella holders on the buggy so grip that could fit in a definate advantage.

What's the best umbrella?

MegaWatty
27th August 2010, 08:32 PM
I'd be surprised if the genuine Gustbusters don't win this one.

Courty
27th August 2010, 08:38 PM
I bought an Adidas one with the wind proof double-layer thing. The handle was too big to start with, but someone left a near new Footjoy one (broken struts) in the bin so I pilfered the handle and swapped them. 8)

Cosmopolite
27th August 2010, 08:41 PM
I have got a gustbuster, had it for 11 yrs and very strong. We have some pretty ferocious winds in WA and it has stood up to them over the years. I won this one in a Holden Scramble years ago. The elastics between the top canopy and the bottom canopy has overstretched, so I just sewed them done and it is good again.

jaybam
27th August 2010, 08:42 PM
One that keeps the rain off you is a good start.

CanuckDownUnder
27th August 2010, 08:44 PM
I'd be surprised if the genuine Gustbusters don't win this one.

They are the best
Have a ping now which holds up too

Hux
27th August 2010, 08:48 PM
One that keeps the rain off you is a good start.

So a small for you then?

MegaWatty
27th August 2010, 08:49 PM
I have got a gustbuster, had it for 11 yrs and very strong. We have some pretty ferocious winds in WA and it has stood up to them over the years. I won this one in a Holden Scramble years ago. The elastics between the top canopy and the bottom canopy has overstretched, so I just sewed them done and it is good again.

I've seen another one where the elastic has stretched. It also looked like it had been used heaps.

It's a shame their uv block one is so small. I'll be grabbing a 68"er soon. Although it doesn't seem to rain in Perth anymore...

Cosmopolite
27th August 2010, 09:14 PM
I've seen another one where the elastic has stretched. It also looked like it had been used heaps.

It's a shame their uv block one is so small. I'll be grabbing a 68"er soon. Although it doesn't seem to rain in Perth anymore...

The gustbusters seem to have stronger ribs etc than other ones.

It certainly has been a dryish winter this year. I remember last year playing in rain and howling gales rather a lot.

MegaWatty
27th August 2010, 09:25 PM
Last I heard the dams have received 9 Gigalitres of water this winter. They normally get 300!!!

Cosmopolite
27th August 2010, 09:51 PM
Last I heard the dams have received 9 Gigalitres of water this winter. They normally get 300!!!

oh geez, we are in big trouble! Dams are 35.2% full according to the Water Corporation.

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 09:55 PM
oh geez, we are in big trouble! Dams are 35.2% full according to the Water Corporation.

PANIC!

Rodders, I have a no name double canopy thing that has withstood some serious winds. IE Kennedy Bay in a thunderstorm. It cost 30 bucks.

rodders
27th August 2010, 09:58 PM
Yoss, the Smoothy's were double canopy but just didn't stand up.

The gustbuster sounds the way to go.

Where can you buy and how much coin people?

rodders
28th August 2010, 01:55 PM
Well, I'll answer my own question!

Spring Valley Golf Club and $80... (or 20 balls from comp wins!).

Cosmopolite
28th August 2010, 02:13 PM

Well I did try and look some up on the net, but didnt come up with much. I looked at the usual online ones like squizzys, Drummonds, Golfbox and Rockbottom golf, nothing on there. Only 2 on ebay and I had doubts there were the genuine thing.

I think they seem to be more in local pro shops.

rodders
28th August 2010, 03:05 PM
Did same thing Cosmo. There is a yes one on the bay for $85 delivered.

Mine is a titleist one but made by gustbusters.

Ned
28th August 2010, 08:09 PM
One that works

One that keeps the rain off you

One that doesn't self destruct in the wind

Biggles
29th August 2010, 01:43 PM
I still have my gustbuster that I purchased about 6 years ago and if for any reason I had to buy another umbrella I would get another one.

Its blown inside out a few times on me in very strong winds and has always popped back into shape with no dramas.

AlexMc
29th August 2010, 02:58 PM
Another vote for the Gustbuster.

live4golf
29th August 2010, 03:06 PM
The Smoothy's are better built now, I had 2 that self-destructed...called Under Par or whoever they are and they advised me that they have done a lot of work and have made the newer ones stronger...I got a newer one and they do feel much stronger. I like the gust-busters but one vote for the Smoothy version 2.0

LeftyHoges
30th August 2010, 10:42 AM
Did same thing Cosmo. There is a yes one on the bay for $85 delivered.

Mine is a titleist one but made by gustbusters.

I have the exact same one Rodders, and if mine can withstand Port Fairy's winds then surely yours can withstand anything Melbourne can throw at you...

IanO
31st August 2010, 08:41 AM
Yup .. I am in Melbourne and have the Titleist, made by Gustbusters and have had no problems with it at all.

Cosmopolite
31st August 2010, 08:17 PM

The pro shop at my course (in Perth WA) has a red one for $45 or black for $69.

Ferrins
1st July 2013, 08:22 AM
Has there been any improvements in the last few years?

timah!
1st July 2013, 09:37 AM
Only to the quality of thread mining.

Ferrins
1st July 2013, 10:14 AM
Courty searches through bins while I search through old threads.

Peppas
1st July 2013, 10:58 AM
Pj what are you gonna get me? :)

live4golf
1st July 2013, 11:07 AM
Pj what are you gonna get me? :)

Apologies for your backup umbrella breaking at Stonebridge, I will ensure it is replaced this Friday for you. I do appreciate the many, many reminders...trust me, I get it...I owe you an umbrella.

Peppas
1st July 2013, 11:09 AM
Apologies for your backup umbrella breaking at Stonebridge, I will ensure it is replaced this Friday for you. I do appreciate the many, many reminders...trust me, I get it...I owe you an umbrella.

It's ok we can hug it out on friday ;)

zmj87
8th July 2013, 05:51 PM
The Mizuno Staff Umbrella has been extremely sturdy in extreme winds. Fits snug in the smoothy holder as well so dont have to worry about it flying out.