PDA

View Full Version : Green in regulation (GIR)

Ferrins
27th August 2010, 03:47 PM
Definition: A statistical category on the pro tours and a popular method for amateurs and recreational players to rate their rounds. To achieve a green in regulation, your ball must be on the putting surface in the expected number of strokes in relation to par. The par for a hole always includes two putts, so to achieve a GIR on a par-3, you must reach the green with your first shot (on the green in one, two putts for par). On a par-4, you must reach in two shots (on the green in two, two putts for par). On a par-5, you must reach in three shots.
To claim a GIR, your ball must be on the putting surface. Being 1-inch off the green, in the fringe, but still able to putt the ball does not count. The ball must be on the putting surface.

When taking stats would it be GHEY to count GIR in relation to your handicap.

So if you get a stroke on a par 4, then hitting it in 3 would be a GIR

sms316
27th August 2010, 03:50 PM
When taking stats would it be GHEY to count GIR in relation to your handicap.

So if you get a stroke on a par 4, then hitting it in 2 would be a GIR

AndyP would be the expert on this.

Minor_Threat
27th August 2010, 04:15 PM
Definition: So if you get a stroke on a par 4, then hitting it in 2 would be a GIRDon't you mean hitting the green in 3 in this case?

IMO you can do what you like, but it would be called something different like GIHR (Green In Handicap Regulation)..

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 04:23 PM
then you wold have to call a par a handicap birdie, or net birdie.

sms316
27th August 2010, 04:25 PM
What happens if you are on +1 and the #18 rated hole is a par 3?

Ferrins
27th August 2010, 04:30 PM
Don't you mean hitting the green in 3 in this case?

IMO you can do what you like, but it would be called something different like GIHR (Green In Handicap Regulation)..

Your right

matty
27th August 2010, 05:19 PM
'When taking stats would it be GHEY to count GIR in relation to your handicap.'

IMO, yes, very ghey.

Veefore
27th August 2010, 05:51 PM
There is a stat online somewhere (I think it was Dave Pelz) that had the average number of GIR's for different handicap ranges. That might be a useful stat to compare yourself against.

Ferrins
27th August 2010, 05:57 PM
I don't think it's ghey. It makes sense to me to record in relation to where I am in my game. Not where less than 1% of golfers are.

AndyP
27th August 2010, 06:02 PM
AndyP would be the expert on this.It's not related to how I keep stats at all.

keogh
27th August 2010, 06:18 PM
IMO in gives you something to work towards going off no handicap for GIR because isn't trying to improve your handicap what the ultimate goal is after having fun of course.

razaar
27th August 2010, 06:21 PM
Hitting a Par-4 in three shots is called a layup or missed green, regardless of handicap. Larriken:lol:

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 06:51 PM
taking stats would it be GHEY to count GIR in relation to your handicap.

I couldn't imagine anyone on a high enough handicap where that matters would even count stats. At the level of say a C grader they probably should be focusing on a modified statistical set if the are looking to fast track improvement.

Ferrins
27th August 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm just sour because I missed every green at Carbrook