PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played Longyard Golf Club in Tamworth?

Speirsy11
8th May 2005, 09:06 PM
Has anyone played the Longyard Golf Club in Tamworth? We are playing our NSW Uni Champs there in July and nobody I know has played it. I assume it's good, as it is a Greg Norman design with some serious $$$ behind it, but would love a detailed description.......

Anyone played it? Or at least able to tell me the website? Google has nothing for it............

Thanks in advance....

Speirsy

3oneday
9th May 2005, 07:53 AM
Spiersy, I have played it heaps, my Dad used to be a member there.

It is a links course, with about 3 holes with trees on it. If you miss fairways, you are in snake territory :shock: , about 3 foot tall grass, but the fairways are pretty wide.

Not really that memorable a design, in my opinion, the last 9 holes are only a few years old (it was a nine holer for years), interesting, but not spectacular.

Pete

Speirsy11
9th May 2005, 09:13 AM

How are the greens? Long? I assume wide open links would suit my ability to hit it fairly far?

Thanks

Speirsy

3oneday
9th May 2005, 09:46 AM
The greens from memory are fairly large, you could hit driver on 1 and 2, long iron or rescue off 3, same off 4 (par 5, very narrow fairway but part of the old course), driver off 5, 6th is a par 3, driver off 7, 8th is a par 3, long iron or rescue off 9.

Long iron/rescue off 10, driver off 11 and 12, 13 is a par 3, driver off 14, 15, 16 is a par 3, driver off 17, long iron/rescue off 18. These are all judged on how far you hit, not how far I hit it  :D .

Green have some interesting swales (spelling ?) in them, never scary fast though, would be faster in winter obviously. Not sure on the course condition, I haven't played there for 2 or 3 years at least  :wink:

Pete

Speirsy11
9th May 2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks

jimandr
9th May 2005, 07:13 PM
I played there about four years ago, so I cannot vouch for its current condition, but I can say the area is now in drought (along with most of NSW), so it might be pretty dry.

Greg Norman 'had input' into the design as one of his first experiments. I suspect this means Bob Harrison actually did the designing.

It doesn't get much of a mention in the top 100 lists, but I thought it was a course worthy of inclusion. In many ways a typical new design though, wide fairways, but severe penalties if you miss them, and big, sloping greens.

The Von Nida pros had a tournament there and tore the course apart. I think the winner was about 24 under. That probably means the par 5's are reachable.