PDA

View Full Version : Golf in Phuket

gregorywannabe
23rd August 2010, 04:14 PM
Hi All

The wife and I are heading over to Phuket for the 1st 2 weeks of October for our wedding anniversary and intend to play golf while we're there. A couple of questions for those that have been there, done that. Firstly, is it best to look at booking before we go (e.g. http://www.phuketgolfcourse.com/) or just wing it when we're there. Secondly, take clubs or hire clubs. This may depend on what we decide, e.g. 4x18, i.e. 2 games each week, or just 2x18, 1 game per week. I'd be interested in any stories/experiences/etc. Even though it was the missus's suggestion that we play golf while on our anniversary I'm sure I'll cop some stick if I don't organise that side of it properly! :) :(( as she's organised the rest of it (flights/accom/etc).

Cheers

gw

kpac
23rd August 2010, 04:27 PM
Seems this question is raised every 6 months.
Same answer
Play Blue Canyon, the rest are a distant 2nd

If i was going to play 4 rounds i'd take my own bats, however the hire sets are pretty cheap and not bad quality (like due to the frequency of tourist players hiring)

As for booking, if going in Peak season definitely book as good tee times are rare to snatch once you're there. If you're going in the green season, definitely don't book, as playing in monsoon rain will not be fun. Green season you'll have plenty of tee times available anyway.

hyrola
23rd August 2010, 04:35 PM
Hey mate, quite freaky that you bring this thread up!

I am playing mission hills on 15th of October in Phuket! :)

About to book now. I am in thailand for 2 weeks for my girlfriends brothers wedding. Figured i'd get a quick round in somewhere and mission hills looks very nice from the pics. Very close to the indigo pearl where i'll be staying at the time too which is good.

Must get early tee time, will be hot!

I've never played there before, anyone who knows. Is mission hills ok? Before i book! Like i said the pics look amazing. Par 72 designed by Jack Nicklaus.

hyrola
23rd August 2010, 04:38 PM
Oh and im only playing 1 round whilst there, but even if i was playing a couple more rounds i don't reckon i'd take my own sticks. Just too much to cart around and annoying ie. Baggage allowance, etc.

If i was going there for a pure golf holiday though, sure id take my own sticks :)

TourFit
23rd August 2010, 04:42 PM
Take your own clubs if you can. Especially if you're gonna play more than once or twice.

Some of the courses have a LOT of water and IMO require you to know your distances.

In order of playing... play these:

1) Blue Canyon - Canyon
2) Red Mountain (at Loch Palm)
3) Phuket Country Club - (Old AM, break for lunch, and then the New (9) PM)
4) Blue Canyon - Lake (has had a redesign since I played it...apparently better than it was)
5) Loch Palm
6) Laguna Phuket

Go to the course EARLY to beat the humidity...I teed off around 7am to beat the heat. You will catch some rainy days (and I mean RAIN!), just don't go on those.

Check out some pics here:

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/19634-lagunaphuketgolf?highlight=phuket (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/19634-lagunaphuketgolf?highlight=phuket)

hyrola
23rd August 2010, 05:01 PM
Anything wrong with mission hills?

hyrola
23rd August 2010, 05:33 PM
http://phuketgolf.com/golf/missionhillsphuket.htm

looks pretty impressive to me!

Minor_Threat
23rd August 2010, 05:36 PM
http://phuketgolf.com/golf/missionhillsphuket.htm

looks pretty impressive to me!It must be fairly new? I was there in December 2007 and didn't see anything about it.

markTHEblake
23rd August 2010, 05:40 PM
Anything wrong with mission hills?

Nothing, except it is a long way to go in a Tuk Tuk

hyrola
23rd August 2010, 05:44 PM
lol :) fair enough. Apparently its pretty close to where we are staying, the indigo pearl. So thats all i really care about.

Hopefully we will be getting a really early tee time. Earlier the better! Will wait till at least the 3rd before cracking the beers. I mean drinking at 6:30am is childish. Must wait till at least 7am.

markTHEblake
23rd August 2010, 05:49 PM
lol :) fair enough. Apparently its pretty close to where we are staying, the indigo pearl. So thats all i really care about.

If you think Mission Hills is close to Phuket then you should care a lot.
Better take a guide with ya, you might get off the plane in the wrong country! ;-)

hyrola
23rd August 2010, 05:56 PM
The indigo pearl website states 10 minutes to mission hills ;) Thats close enough for me!

markTHEblake
23rd August 2010, 06:07 PM
oh shame on me - why cant those Thai's cant they think up original names for their golf courses, instead of copying China of all places :-(

TourFit
23rd August 2010, 07:15 PM
It's a course I haven't played. Built well after I was there. 2008-9 I think. It looks OK I guess, but a bit flat and uninteresting to my eye. Seems that the biggest thing going for it is that it's near the ocean.

Blue Canyon is 'pin high' to Mission Hills...but on the other side, nearer the airport. Find out how far from Indigo Pearl to Blue Canyon is...and then play there !!!

Blue Canyon/Red Mountain by far seem to be the best courses. Love the look of Red Mountain and the elevation changes there...

hyrola
24th August 2010, 11:29 AM
I 'may' do a second golf round the day before i fly back, i go from phuket to bangkok then to chang mai for the wedding then fly back into phuket for 2 days before going home.