PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new putter- what do you recommend?

Eag's
23rd August 2010, 07:48 AM
I have lost all confidence with my Odyssey 2 ball so it is time to investigate other options.
It's not the putter, it's the clown on the other end, but a change is as good as a holiday :)
I would like to try a heel shafted or blade style putter, what do you guys recommend?

jaybam
23rd August 2010, 07:55 AM
Mine.

razaar
23rd August 2010, 07:56 AM
Scotty Cameron Coronado, perhaps.

3oneday
23rd August 2010, 08:11 AM
Try another Odyssey, maybe a White Ice #1 or something, ie something that isn't a mallet ?

TheTrueReview
23rd August 2010, 08:52 AM
Nike Method 001 (the anser style model)

Eag's
23rd August 2010, 08:59 AM
The way I am putting at the moment, I have even thought about trying left handed again :roll:
Keep the suggestions coming :)

Daves
23rd August 2010, 09:03 AM
The way I am putting at the moment, I have even thought about trying left handed again :roll:
Keep the suggestions coming :)

That was going to be my first suggestion! Still putting left hand low?

What is the main challenge at the moment? feel, distance control, inconsistent rolls? Do you like the insert in the 2 ball?

David Williams
23rd August 2010, 09:07 AM
Get a putting lesson... it's cheaper and will last longer than the putter you replace your old one with.

razaar
23rd August 2010, 09:19 AM
Borrowed this from another forum just for you Richard.
http://blog.eyelinegolf.com/2010/08/18/75-players-on-the-tours-use-the-ball-of-steel-why/?utm_source=EyeLine+Golf&utm_campaign=10a0cdbcd4-Ball_of_Steel_Dr_Craig_Farnsworth_RETAIL8_18_2010&utm_medium=email
Suggested key putting thought (besides remembering the exact location of the target) is to keep the end of the butt (grip) still throughout the stroke.

Eag's
23rd August 2010, 09:22 AM
That was going to be my first suggestion! Still putting left hand low?

What is the main challenge at the moment? feel, distance control, inconsistent rolls? Do you like the insert in the 2 ball?

Dave, I have been struggling with both feel & distance control.

Get a putting lesson... it's cheaper and will last longer than the putter you replace your old one with.

Very true David and to be honest, I haven't been putting in the hours to improve my putting either.

davepuppies
23rd August 2010, 11:00 AM
I love my odessey #9 black series. However the best improvement in my putting came from improving my pre shot routine and the mental aspect of putting.

Read the book putting out of your mind by Bob Rotella

gazgolf1
23rd August 2010, 12:41 PM
I love my odessey #9 black series. However the best improvement in my putting came from improving my pre shot routine and the mental aspect of putting.

Read the book putting out of your mind by Bob Rotella

I agree, I'm working on getting all the mechanical thoughts out of my mind and just thinking speed, I think I'm on the right track. The original Odyssey Blacks are underrated wands Eagsy.

CanuckDownUnder
23rd August 2010, 12:45 PM
when my putting was off I started using a ping piper. it made you putt like a metronome. That got my tempo back and then went back to the blade I'm currently using.

Lucasto23
23rd August 2010, 12:52 PM
pre shot routine!!! and how much you want for the 2 ball :)

timah!
23rd August 2010, 12:55 PM
Got a pretty schmick TM Rossa Lambreau you can have :wink: :grin:

Eag's
23rd August 2010, 02:21 PM
pre shot routine!!! and how much you want for the 2 ball :)

Yeah it might be time to change my pre shot routine, at the moment I step up without any practice strokes and sometimes rush things.
I have to get back to focusing on smaller targets and staying relaxed over the ball.

jaybam
23rd August 2010, 02:22 PM
Blah that won't work. Spend money on new gear.

David Williams
23rd August 2010, 05:51 PM
Eag's can I suggest listening to the interview we did with The Stocktons on TalkinGolf Radio. EPISODE 1 - Dave Stockton and Sons (http://www.willowgolf.com.au/?page_id=642)

I am utilising a lot of stuff that was raised during this interview for my own golf and teaching it to my students and it's working wonders. Get the technique right by getting someone to identify your issues then just "roll the ball into the hole".

If you want to post or email me a video of your putting stroke I am only to happy to offer my assistance.

Yossarian
23rd August 2010, 05:57 PM
I've got a nice TM Siena 4 for sale ;)

Eag's
23rd August 2010, 06:14 PM
Eag's can I suggest listening to the interview we did with The Stocktons on TalkinGolf Radio. EPISODE 1 - Dave Stockton and Sons (http://www.willowgolf.com.au/?page_id=642)

I am utilising a lot of stuff that was raised during this interview for my own golf and teaching it to my students and it's working wonders. Get the technique right by getting someone to identify your issues then just "roll the ball into the hole".

If you want to post or email me a video of your putting stroke I am only to happy to offer my assistance.

Thanks David, I might just do that :smt023

Tongueboy
23rd August 2010, 06:33 PM
practice putting in the bathtub. great for your confidence

Ned
23rd August 2010, 06:48 PM
Wedge!

Titleist 54 degree with 10 degree of bounce, Royal Lamkin Grip, KBS Tour Shaft, half inch over standard length!

Eag's
23rd August 2010, 06:52 PM
I am not quite that desperate yet NK.

Ned
23rd August 2010, 06:57 PM
I am not quite that desperate yet NK.

We could have a putt off at the Champs Eag's...............come on...................................

Dotty
23rd August 2010, 07:12 PM
At least someone listens to your preaching, NK.

For the past couple of months, I used a Lamkin midsize grip instead of a shaped putter grip.

A year ago, I stopped pointing the fore-fingers down the shaft (and began holding the putter the same as a wedge) to improve consistency.

sms316
23rd August 2010, 07:22 PM

You haven't discovered the OzGolf way yet, have you?

:lol:

mike
23rd August 2010, 10:28 PM
Ping Anser 2. Cheap as chips on the bay.

Chop 3 inches off it, new grip, 20 g of lead tape on the sole and then dip it in hunny.

Works a treat.

adlo
24th August 2010, 12:07 AM

I also recommend a putter with someone elses name on it.

teo
24th August 2010, 12:24 AM
go try a seemore.
that fixed me up

Johnny Canuck
24th August 2010, 12:28 AM
go to a shop and take no notice of brands, styles, etc. just putt until you find the one that holes the most putts and that you are most confident with. then come here and buy it in the pro shop.

David Williams
24th August 2010, 03:44 AM
You haven't discovered the OzGolf way yet, have you?

I am only new sms and still have a lot to learn... How's this?

Eag's have you tried a broomstick putter yet?

Jarro
24th August 2010, 04:26 AM
Eag's, just get a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 mate ;)

IanO
24th August 2010, 06:43 AM
go to a shop and take no notice of brands, styles, etc. just putt until you find the one that holes the most putts and that you are most confident with. then come here and buy it in the pro shop.

that ... and get a lesson

Eag's
24th August 2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I am going to give my current putter one more try tomorrow at Carbrook with a more focused approach.
I am heading to the practice green today to see if I can regain some confidence before then.

simmsy
24th August 2010, 05:17 PM
Rife Antigua - best money i've spent on golf gear

TourFit
24th August 2010, 07:39 PM
I have lost all confidence with my Odyssey 2 ball so it is time to investigate other options.
It's not the putter, it's the clown on the other end, but a change is as good as a holiday :)
I would like to try a heel shafted or blade style putter, what do you guys recommend?

Get it properly fitted first...for length, for lie, check whether you prefer the grip thicker etc. Is it the std 35" Odyssey ???

Get your eyes OVER the ball, with the putter sitting flat at address and make sure YOU are in your normal, comfortable stance.

Try this first...

...then buy another one anyway !!!!

Outcast
24th August 2010, 08:19 PM
...then buy another one anyway !!!!

And keep buyin and trying and buyin til ya find one that works.... Still lookin but, havin fun doin so

markTHEblake
24th August 2010, 09:07 PM
what do you guys recommend?

Something different. Doesn't matter what, just anything at all.

You could also try practicing on the putting green at a tee from about 1 meters. trying to hit it, and then from further away just trying to get as close as you can.

By the time you get to the first green the hole will look as big as a bucket.

Eag's
24th August 2010, 09:39 PM
Blakey, I did exactly that today, I spent about 2hrs on the putting green until my back started playing up.

Choppa
25th August 2010, 04:43 PM
Wow there's way too much advice on putting in this thread.

It doesn't matter which one you buy Eags, so just buy the prettiest one ;)

AndyP
25th August 2010, 04:46 PM
I can't remember him ****ing up too many putts today, unlike the rest of his group.

mint
25th August 2010, 04:48 PM
Ping Anser 2. Cheap as chips on the bay.

Chop 3 inches off it, new grip, 20 g of lead tape on the sole and then dip it in hunny.

Works a treat.

Couldnt agree more - Ping Anser 2 - awesome stick

Johnny Canuck
25th August 2010, 05:21 PM
I had a bit of a putting lesson a few weeks ago. I have always considered myself a decent putter and I was amazed at how many things I could be doing better. It was time well spent.

markTHEblake
25th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Blakey, I did exactly that today, I spent about 2hrs on the putting green until my back started playing up.

umm, I was only suggesting that drill just before you play, like for a few mins.

Eag's
25th August 2010, 10:01 PM
Well the time on the practice green payed off today as I only had 31 putts, a bit better than 40 :)
Just the one three putt, but my pace and touch was a lot better.

LowTee
31st August 2010, 06:51 PM
Try a YES Callie putter they really get the ball rolling or a scotty cameron Futura you will easily be able to see if you are hitting it square