PDA

View Full Version : Don's Party

Pages : [1] 2

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 09:47 AM
Well here it is folks, there is nothing like a Don's Party (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074422/plotsummary) to lose ya best mates and get their missus!

Kath Henderson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0238758/): It's just an excuse for a booze up.
Don Henderson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0362970/): You might not be, but most of the people coming tonight will be very concerned about what's on that. Very concerned indeed.

Indeed. Vote 1 Tony Abbot! :lol:

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 06:22 PM
Stop the election now!

http://a.imageshack.us/img842/6215/screenshot5d.png

sms316
21st August 2010, 06:24 PM
Pass me a beer Blakey.

Jarro
21st August 2010, 06:29 PM
Ain't over yet

sms316
21st August 2010, 06:30 PM
You don't say?

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 06:33 PM
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/ dont think it autorefreshes though, anyone found a good one.

Pass me a beer Blakey.

Drove past that Dan Murphy's place tonight at 5.30, the place was chockers. What is it about aussies and getting pissed on election nights! ;-)

MegaWatty
21st August 2010, 06:53 PM
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/ dont think it autorefreshes though, anyone found a good one.

Drove past that Dan Murphy's place tonight at 5.30, the place was chockers. What is it about aussies and getting pissed on election nights! ;-)

Just another excuse!

However, who wouldn't want to celebrate seeing this mob kicked out?

Eag's
21st August 2010, 07:02 PM
C'mon the Aussie sex party!!!

AndyP
21st August 2010, 07:07 PM
Even Ch 10 has election coverage. They've changed.

Eag's
21st August 2010, 07:11 PM
It's times like these I love my Foxtel :)

Daves
21st August 2010, 07:15 PM
It's times like these I love my Foxtel :)

:smt023

AndyP
21st August 2010, 07:20 PM
I'll keep my $100 per month thanks, and rely on torrents/streaming instead.

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 07:26 PM
anyone dressed for the occasion?

http://finephotoplay.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/dons-party-3.jpg

MegaWatty
21st August 2010, 07:29 PM

How good's The King look with his socks and sandals? :)

Eag's
21st August 2010, 07:36 PM
I'll keep my $100 per month thanks, and rely on torrents/streaming instead.

Who the hell pays $100 a month?? not me that's for sure.

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 07:38 PM
How good's The King look with his socks and sandals? :)

2nd best pair of legs I have ever seen.

Jarro
21st August 2010, 07:40 PM

:smt087

:mrgreen:

KristianJ
21st August 2010, 07:42 PM

Which one's Courty?

Jarro
21st August 2010, 08:18 PM
This won yet ?

PerryGroves
21st August 2010, 08:30 PM
Hard to tell with flip flopping Qlders

TheTrueReview
21st August 2010, 08:47 PM

Your cable provider??

Eag's
21st August 2010, 09:17 PM
$56 a month and I have everything I need :)

KristianJ
21st August 2010, 09:25 PM
A former Gladiators referee into parliament. Who'da thunk it?

Jarro
21st August 2010, 09:26 PM
How'd the sex party go ?

MegaWatty
21st August 2010, 09:28 PM
How'd the sex party go ?

They're rooted.

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 09:33 PM
They're rooted.

i think the Dons Party photo on the previous page is the scene where they all realised someones wife just was.

AndyP
21st August 2010, 09:33 PM
A former Gladiators referee into parliament. Who'da thunk it?Beat me to it. Even the Treasurer is only up because of preferences.

MegaWatty
21st August 2010, 09:39 PM
The Labour/Greens coalition have had a nice little touch up in WA as well it looks.

Courty
21st August 2010, 10:21 PM
Which one's Courty?
:-s

KristianJ
21st August 2010, 10:22 PM
For a moment I thought it was a FNQ Ozgolf party. :p

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 10:27 PM
so what happens if we get a hung election? do the independants get into bed with one of the majors i suppose.

Courty
21st August 2010, 10:27 PM
For a moment I thought it was a FNQ Ozgolf party. :p

That party is waaaay too tame for one of ours. ;)

KristianJ
21st August 2010, 10:30 PM
Either Mel Doyle has no cleavage whatsoever or that's the most seamless flesh coloured top in TV history.

MegaWatty
21st August 2010, 10:33 PM
How could you even manage to watch channel 7 for more than 15 seconds?

That bunch are a pack of tossers!

KristianJ
21st August 2010, 10:38 PM
I'll see your Ch 7 tossers and raise you Ch 9's all star lineup.

markTHEblake
21st August 2010, 11:21 PM
watch this instead,. nobody yapping
http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/

MegaWatty
22nd August 2010, 12:00 AM
I'll see your Ch 7 tossers and raise you Ch 9's all star lineup.

ABC baby. ;)

Zeusgolf
22nd August 2010, 12:01 AM
Hmmm Abbot's daughters ????

razaar
22nd August 2010, 08:25 AM
I watched Sky's coverage, skipped to a few others and returned to Sky and stayed there until mid-night. The only downside for me is that the tosser (bob scatter) may have a role in forming a government.

goughy
22nd August 2010, 11:40 AM
Wonder if anyone bet against John Alexander in Howards old and generally safe (maybe not one time though ;) ) seat?

Yossarian
22nd August 2010, 08:04 PM
Aldo is having a party?

adlo
22nd August 2010, 08:06 PM
I must admit I thought the same thing. I was hoping Blakey didn't show up on my doorstep.

TheTrueReview
22nd August 2010, 09:04 PM
Either Mel Doyle has no cleavage whatsoever or that's the most seamless flesh coloured top in TV history.

The deflating effect of motherhood??

Hmmm Abbot's daughters ????

... + hot tub = shangri la http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/hot%20tub.gif

markTHEblake
24th August 2010, 10:49 PM
Worst Don's Party ever - no result. Its like going to one of those fancy pay dunnies in Europe and only farting.

Julia Gillard is beginning to look shakey again. She may well have been our first lady PM, but she might also be the shortest serving ever PM to have lost a general election, and she was supposed to be Labors saviour. Now thats a feather in the cap!
(there have been shorter terms for PM's but these were caretaker style appointments and were replaced by internal party votes/appointments)

razaar
25th August 2010, 06:29 AM
Can't see the indpendants siding with labour. The labour vote in each of their electorates was quite low. Should they join labour to form a government they will be at risk of losing their seat next time around. With the strong conservative voting base in rural Australia, labour isn't an option in these locations. The Libs will be scouring these electorates for feasible, attractive canditates who can seriously challenge these independants. Tipping Labour in opposition and another election in the not too distant future. Some of the words/wisdom from a couple of the independants must have their supporters wondering.

razaar
25th August 2010, 06:51 AM
Taiwan's video take on Don's Party and the prelims.. LMAO

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/hilarious-taiwanese-spoof-on-australian-election-20100821-139n4.html?from=brisbanetimes_ft

hyrola
25th August 2010, 05:27 PM
Go T-Bot.

The wait is painful. I bet you we end up back at the polling booths :/

markTHEblake
25th August 2010, 08:10 PM
Can't see the indpendants siding with labour.

I see the potential in one but not more. Not any one of them in particular but they all carry some baggage with the Nationals at least, so perhaps one will fall over, but why would he when he knows that wont be enough. Given the likely scenario is it stands now is Labor with 72 seats, plus the *tree hugger, they still need 3 more, cant really see them getting three.

* What was the tree huggers comment today, i think it was "I wont side with the coalition but I am open to discussions" - open to what then?
These are the kind of views that will control the senate for the next three years.

just
25th August 2010, 08:20 PM
God called Blakey, He wants you to stop misusing the small amount of brain cells He gave you.

Webster
25th August 2010, 08:22 PM
If this were a real Dons Party the thread would be full of female frontal nudity (very hairy stuff at that)

markTHEblake
25th August 2010, 08:32 PM
Shaddup Jarpie

If this were a real Dons Party the thread would be full of female frontal nudity (very hairy stuff at that)

or a blue, its not too late, cos technically the party is not over yet.

AndyP
25th August 2010, 08:59 PM
Isn't there something wrong with a system that allows the independents to hold the major parties to ransom for the benefit of their electorates, rather than the benefit of the whole country?

markTHEblake
25th August 2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think there is a definition of political parties in our constitution. So one could argue that the major parties have also held the country to ransom for the benefit of their own ideals as well

mike
25th August 2010, 09:55 PM
Isn't there something wrong with a system that allows the independents to hold the major parties to ransom for the benefit of their electorates, rather than the benefit of the whole country?It'll be a nice change from being ignored by the major parties because we don't have a labor/liberal member.

fwiw the Westminster system pisses me off.

LarryLong
25th August 2010, 10:11 PM
This article goes a long way towards explaining why many people are disillusioned with Australian politics (well, it does for me, so I assume it does for all other right-thinking individuals :) ).

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/a-chance-to-end-the-mindless-allegiance-of-party-discipline-20100824-13q9b.html

PeteyD
25th August 2010, 10:35 PM
The 2 party confrontational system does seem to be relevant to me anymore. Pretty much in line with that article. Seems dumb that my representative has to toe the party line.

markTHEblake
25th August 2010, 10:48 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/a-chance-to-end-the-mindless-allegiance-of-party-discipline-20100824-13q9b.html

I like this quote
Gillard has said that the message she takes from the election is that the people want politics to be conducted differently.

the message she should be taking is that the difference the people want, is Labor not in charge. (well a fraction over half of us anyway)

just
26th August 2010, 06:02 AM
I like this quote

the message she should be taking is that the difference the people want, is Labor not in charge. (well a fraction over half of us anyway)
Blakey
Don't you heed God's messages? In all the figures I've seen Labor has a little over half in two party preferred, which means a fraction over half preferred them.

goughy
26th August 2010, 07:13 AM
TA takes a stand and won't hand over his costings (whatever the stuff is) to the independents. Blunder? Or does he expect them to go with the libs anyway, which it seems their constituents probably want? Whereas labor toes the line hoping doing what they want will help them get across the line? Or are the lib costings shonky?

razaar
26th August 2010, 08:21 AM
As I understand it, the Libs will give the financial data to the independants but not to Treasury. I can't say I blame them.

macjackass
26th August 2010, 08:35 AM
As I understand it, the Libs will give the financial data to the independants but not to Treasury. I can't say I blame them.

He's not even in yet and the mad monk has started lying already. It's gonna be a long 3 years.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/the-seven-steps-to-power-20100825-13s87.html?autostart=1

WBennett
26th August 2010, 08:43 AM
Tony Abbott coming out and saying he doesn't trust Treasury could mean the Liberals could be in for a very long three years if they get into Government.

Note to Abbott - you clowns might make the decisions, but its your employees who have to find a way to turn your unworkable policies which sounded great as a media bite in an election into something that can actually be implemented. Stop the boats? Yeah right, dickhead.

macjackass
26th August 2010, 08:49 AM
Tony Abbott coming out and saying he doesn't trust Treasury could mean the Liberals could be in for a very long three years if they get into Government.

Note to Abbott - you clowns might make the decisions, but its your employees who have to find a way to turn your unworkable policies which sounded great as a media bite in an election into something that can actually be implemented. Stop the boats? Yeah right, dickhead.

razaar
26th August 2010, 09:53 AM

Maybe I am wrong on this...but doesn't the Government in power appoint the Heads of Departments, including Treasury?

WBennett
26th August 2010, 10:00 AM
Raz

Departmental secretaries are appointed on 5 year tenures.

Ken Henry was John Howards head of Treasury appointed in 2001, and was kept on by Rudd. He is still in this role.

At Prime Minister and Cabinet, Max Moore Wilton was appointed by Howard, replaced by Peter Shergold, then Shergold stepped aside at change of Government for Terry Moran.

A Departmental Secretary (boss of Dept) may change, but the Dept Executive and Senior Executive Service won't necessarily change dramatically. However, the Australian Public Service is impartial - just some have longer memories of mistreatment than others

markTHEblake
26th August 2010, 08:11 PM
Blakey
Don't you heed God's messages? In all the figures I've seen Labor has a little over half in two party preferred, which means a fraction over half preferred them.

True, Labor should have got hold of that Jerry Mander fella who fixed Queensland up all those years ago.
Though the two party preferred vote is probably not a good indicator of my poorly represented opinion! Labor with only 38% of the primary is probably a better one!.

The reasons that Abbott has given for not handing costings to treasury seem justified, but just because some people mightn't agree with his view (or the one eyed partisans dont even bother to try to understand it) does not mean he is hiding something.
Especially given that he hasn't denied that information to the independents.

The idea that both sides give their costings to an independent third party does have merit. Labour seem to be resisting that - what are they hiding then?

just
26th August 2010, 08:29 PM
True, Labor should have got hold of that Jerry Mander fella who fixed Queensland up all those years ago.
Though the two party preferred vote is probably not a good indicator of my poorly represented opinion! Labor with only 38% of the primary is probably a better one!.
So which party out of the non-Labor side do we pick to compare primary votes, Liberal, Nationals, Liberal National Party, Country Liberal. If we are just going on primary votes Labor still wins. And please don't say Coalition policy is all the same because Barnaby would disagree with you.

This is the problem with our system, it gives dills like you an opportunity to vote and you show a complete lack of understanding of what you are voting on. You've been told 4 legs good, 2 legs bad and thats all you can spout.

Yossarian
26th August 2010, 08:32 PM
Can we split Labor into right, left and centre? :)

markTHEblake
26th August 2010, 08:42 PM
If we are just going on primary votes Labor still wins

Maybe I am missing something here? 62% of the country didn't vote 1 Labor.

Labor 37.9%
Coalition 44.1%
Greens 11.5%
Others 6.5%

just
26th August 2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe I am missing something here? 62% of the country didn't vote 1 Labor.

Labor 37.9%
Coalition 44.1%
Greens 11.5%
Others 6.5%
Which bit of preferntial voting and over 50% of the electorate didn't wan't the conservatives in don't you understand?
Can you also point me to a party called the "Coalition"? This page will help you. (http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/guide/parties.htm)

markTHEblake
26th August 2010, 08:51 PM
Which bit of preferntial voting and over 50% of the electorate didn't wan't the conservatives in don't you understand?
I already agreed with you that i was wrong!

just
26th August 2010, 08:52 PM
I already agreed with you that i was wrong!
It never hurts to emphasise the point.

markTHEblake
26th August 2010, 08:57 PM
Cool, 62% of the country didn't vote 1 for Labor!

Now get busy letting down some Mormon's bike tyres or something, you need to let of some steam.

PeteyD
26th August 2010, 09:22 PM
Popular vote means nothing. You both know that.

markTHEblake
26th August 2010, 09:37 PM
True Petey, Justs little tanty has little to do with the message that Gillard should be getting from the election!

razaar
26th August 2010, 09:48 PM
Pollitical preferences aside, the current situation is fascinating. At present we have a Prime Minister begging and seemingly willing to do anything to keep her job. A loose cannon (bobkat/scatter) doing what he does best. The media making a big deal of Abbott refusing the request to allow Treasury access to the policy costings, when he refused a similar request during the campaign. I fail to understand the importance of Treasurys imput to the Libs policy costings or labours costings for that matter, as a key issue to the independant's decision on forming a Government. All they will be agreeing to is not to vote to block supply. The policy estimates are just estimates. It will be Treasury's job to find the money when and if the policies are implemented. Un f%*$ing believable.

PeteyD
26th August 2010, 09:59 PM
Media beat up. There is nothing wrong with a hung parliament. Might make them actually do stuff that is constructive. Mind you the Greens are going to block anything in the senate, so gonna be a mess however you look at that side of it.

Scottt
26th August 2010, 10:05 PM
The parallels to the recent UK poll are uncanny, right down to each of the leaders stealing their UK counterpart's catchphrases.

Gillard/Brown: "The people have spoken, but we don't yet know what they have said."

Abbott/Cameron: "They have lost the mandate to govern."

Watching from afar the past few days, Gillard is oozing desperation. The Independents who stand to decide which party forms government may well see that as a chance to get their wishes met by the Labour Party, but by the same token I don't believe those four will want to be associated - for their own future as much as the nation's - with a failed government.

Yossarian
26th August 2010, 10:10 PM
Labor!

markTHEblake
26th August 2010, 10:21 PM
Mind you the Greens are going to block anything in the senate

The greens have a significant *agenda that they are pushing, which is their mandate so they are perfectly entitled to do so. So they will be doing contra deals with the ruling govt to get what they want too.

*The only thing that bothers me about their agenda, is that for the most part they are being fanatical about social issues, I would like to see them stick to greenie matters.

so gonna be a mess however you look at that side of it.

I think Labor would get on fine with the Greens, but the Coalition wont. Catch 22 for Coalition supporters

henno
26th August 2010, 10:38 PM
Labor!

This.

just
27th August 2010, 06:17 AM
The greens have a significant *agenda that they are pushing, which is their mandate so they are perfectly entitled to do so. So they will be doing contra deals with the ruling govt to get what they want too.

*The only thing that bothers me about their agenda, is that for the most part they are being fanatical about social issues, I would like to see them stick to greenie matters.
Why didn't you have a problem with this when Brian Harradine and Steve Fielding, who were equally fanatical about social issues, had the balance of power on some issues and used it?

And Blakey, it wasn't a tanty, which implies anger, I have been pointing out how dim and hypocritical you are, which actually makes me quite happy. This has become quite a favourite quirk on here to describe anyone who disagrees with a point of view as having a tanty, it's tiresome, try something new.

WBennett
27th August 2010, 08:06 AM
From Wikipedia:

Between December 1994 and March 1996, the makeup of the Senate meant that Harradine's vote combined with that of Labor and the Australian Democrats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Democrats) was just enough to pass Labor government legislation, making his support extremely valuable to either side of politics. Then after the March 1996 elections (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_election,_1996), and the resignation from the Labor party by Mal Colston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Colston), Harradine's and Colston's votes were sufficient to pass Coalition legislation, notably the Native Title Amendment Act 1998 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Title_Amendment_Act_1998) (also known as the "Wik 10 Point Plan"), and the partial privatisation of Telstra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra).

The amount of legislation Brian Harradine brought in to improve Government transparency - procurement, filing, reporting and other administrative tasks - would never have been implemented without his time as the balance of power in the senate.

Steve Fielding should never have been elected but for a stupid preference deal by the ALP and the Democrats. I am glad he is out - an absolute joke of a senator.

Fake Steve Fieldings writings are some of the funniest things I have read on the interwebs

It also explains why the highway between Devenport and Launceston is about 6 lanes wide!

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 08:09 AM
Why didn't you have a problem with this when Brian Harradine and Steve Fielding?

We have not had a thread about that, so you couldn't know. They are also just one person not a party, one person/independant in politics doesn't bother me so much regardless of what they are standing for, as they come and go. As we have seen in the Labor party recently there is significant influence from outside of the elected.

And Blakey, it wasn't a tanty, which implies anger, I have been pointing out how dim and hypocritical you are

I do not like what the greens really stand for, just because that is an alternate view to about 11% of the population, neither makes me hypocritical nor dim.

try something new.

Someones gotta keep this party alive, it has become rather dull, until now :mrgreen:

macjackass
27th August 2010, 08:25 AM

The reasons that Abbott has given for not handing costings to treasury seem justified, but just because some people mightn't agree with his view (or the one eyed partisans dont even bother to try to understand it) does not mean he is hiding something.
Especially given that he hasn't denied that information to the independents.

The idea that both sides give their costings to an independent third party does have merit. Labour seem to be resisting that - what are they hiding then?

Doesn't mean he's trying to hide something? And who is the one-eyed partisan? He suggested that the independents speak to Joe Hockey about it. Any mention about who the libs used to do their costings?

just
27th August 2010, 08:25 AM
I do not like what the greens really stand for, just because that is an alternate view to about 11% of the population, neither makes me hypocritical nor dim.

That is not what I was referring to.

PerryGroves
27th August 2010, 08:40 AM
Denison, Duncan Kerr's seat for 20 odd years has gone to the independent Wilkie with 21% of the primary vote.

Lot of talk (in my office) that it should be first past the post on primaries. I still like the idea of being able to vote with a saver, that is, if I am a Liberal voter in Denison with a strong independent, I would prefer the independent/green rather than Labor and vice versa. Voting could be 1 and 2, same system but 3rd and 4th preferences would not count. Sure there is a flaw somewhere and not sure it would have altered the outcome. Presume that Labor did not get enough green preferences?

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-15508-194.htm

AndyP
27th August 2010, 09:07 AM
Denison, Duncan Kerr's seat for 20 odd years has gone to the independent Wilkie with 21% of the primary vote.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-15508-194.htmThat's freaky.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:26 AM

Lot of talk (in my office) that it should be first past the post on primaries. I still like the idea of being able to vote with a saver, that is, if I am a Liberal voter in Denison with a strong independent, I would prefer the independent/green rather than Labor and vice versa. Voting could be 1 and 2, same system but 3rd and 4th preferences would not count. Sure there is a flaw somewhere and not sure it would have altered the outcome. Presume that Labor did not get enough green preferences?

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-15508-194.htm

Pretty sure in some of the European countries, you vote, and then the low polling candidates are off the ticket and you vote again, until someone gets a simple majority. Makes for extremely long elections.

razaar
27th August 2010, 11:04 AM
Came across this comment that I consider very accurate.

"
That a barking loon from the deep North is now one of the four most powerful people in Australia is cause for deep concern.
To reiterate: Katter’s not just an eccentric, or a colourful character or a maverick. He’s nuclear-grade potty and about as predictable as feral cat with a lit firework jammed up its clacker.
The fact that he attracts so much of Kennedy’s primary vote is a tragic indictment of how regional and remote Australia PERCEIVES it has been regarded by successive governments.
Most people living out in the sticks accept that they will have substantially poorer infrastructure, opportunities and services – that’s a fact of life. What they won’t accept is feeling that they’re regarded as behatted lantern-jawed halfwits.
If a few more pollies actually ventured beyond the eastern seaboard just to have a listen – not necessarily DO anything, but at least listen – then it might loosen the reliance on wombats like Katter.
Bobby Kennedy once said that people get the governments they deserve. Looks like Katter will be punishing the lot of us."

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 12:22 PM
Gotta love that way that someone with views opposed to the author is a nutjob.

just
27th August 2010, 01:13 PM
Katter has had some strange ideas, but on the other hand he must do some things right because the people in his electorate love him.

kpac
27th August 2010, 03:31 PM
Katter has had some strange ideas, but on the other hand he must do some things right because the people in his electorate love him.

Oh shit just - you've got a decent political mind from my spot, but i cant justify him 'doing things right' simply because he gets elected. He successfully appeals to a portion of the electorate. That's why he gets elected, whether he's doing things "right" is very much debatable... there any number of examples of politicians not doing things "right" and being elected......

namely a fellow Swan
even closer to home, a lady by the name of Crichlow

I think it's fair to say, these lot aren't getting elected for "doing things right" as much as for other reasons.. namely;
party preference/opposition to the alternative
and the big one - appealing to a decent portion of the electorate.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 03:57 PM
But isn't appealing to a decent portion of the electorate what it is about, assuming you go on to represent those people?

kpac
27th August 2010, 04:04 PM
But isn't appealing to a decent portion of the electorate what it is about, assuming you go on to represent those people?

If that's what you consider doing something 'right' then you be the judge...
Not in my books - but who gives a sh|t about those. Not politicians thats for certain!

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 04:21 PM
Not sure about doing something 'right'. To a large degree that depends on your leanings anyway.

kpac
27th August 2010, 04:37 PM
I tend to think that giving them the 'benefit of the doubt' that 'they are trying to do the right thing', somewhat negates the fact that these examples prioritise "staying in power" over "doing the right thing" even by their judgement.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 04:39 PM
Staying in Power is the name of the game.

kpac
27th August 2010, 04:50 PM
and what a fkn crying shame that is!

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 07:33 PM
Doesn't mean he's trying to hide something?

That is correct, unless you know he is hiding something you cant know that he is.

And who is the one-eyed partisan?

I give up. Just or WBennett immediately spring to mind.

That is not what I was referring to.

Would have been nicer if you could address what i was referring too. What message should Gillard be getting from the voters in this election?
My theory was sound, i just screwed up on the evidence.

Pretty sure in some of the European countries, you vote, and then the low polling candidates are off the ticket and you vote again, until someone gets a simple majority. Makes for extremely long elections.

Don't we have that same system here, but with preference voting allows us to get it all done on one day?

Lot of talk (in my office) that it should be first past the post on primaries.
Unless somethings changed, that is how it works according to what I was taught in school. Preferences only count when nobody gets over 50% in the primaries.
(simple maths isnt it?)

just
27th August 2010, 08:24 PM
I give up. Just or WBennett immediately spring to mind.
Can you tell me what I am partisan to? Other than anti-Blake, I've not overtly supported any party thread in this thread. At least provide evidence.

Would have been nicer if you could address what i was referring too. What message should Gillard be getting from the voters in this election?
My theory was sound, i just screwed up on the evidence.
You had a theory? What was it? If you look at the voting figures the only message she could take was that people in Queensland and NSW vote on state issues in federal elections. Who knows why they do, but they do.

What do you think the message was to the Labor Party?
What do you think the message was to the Coalition?

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 08:33 PM
You nearly always lean to Labor Just. I think it is due to the large number of conservatives on here, so you pick the biggest fight.

Message to Labor in QLD is bugga off.

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 08:35 PM
It is cause you and benno are pinkos just!

WBennett
27th August 2010, 08:43 PM
Blakey

Call me out anytime, but its better to have some idea than just randomly blab like a drunken Zagwah.

I'm not rusted on pro-labor. I'm anti Howard and anti Abbott, and their policies and various beliefs.

As I've said elsewhere, I would have voted Liberal in this election if Malcolm Turnbull was leader of the opposition. I take each election with an open mind, and make a decision based on the evidence posed. I am obviously more left leaning than centre and I believe in a more socialist society than one the Liberals espouse. I don't believe 1% of the elite should own 50% of the wealth, and the Government of the day caters to the rich rather than assists those in genuine need.

I've never been a Union member, I have ignored picket lines, and have never been a member of any political movement or party.

And finally, a hung parliament, where genuine nation building can occur thorugh good policy and cooperation rather than vote buying and bully boy rubbish that has dominated Federal politics might be a good thing for Australia right now.

To sum up - Federal election - Turn back the boats? Abbott, you racist red neck bottom dwelling pig.

I'm off to watch the footy, go Freo

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 08:47 PM
The boats thing. It is a shit policy. But it gets you elected. Means justify the ends? I don't know.

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 08:50 PM
Can you tell me what I am partisan to?

Your long list of quite strong "i will not vote for's". That list places you neatly in either Labor or Greens camp.

You had a theory? What was it?
you replied to it!

What do you think the message was to the Labor Party?
already said that.

What do you think the message was to the Coalition?
more people voted for them, than did last time. That means more people want them to lead the country, than last time.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 08:53 PM
To sum up - Federal election - Turn back the boats? Abbott, you racist red neck bottom dwelling pig.
o

Bigot. Only valid view is obviously yours. Why do lefty's constantly deny they are labor voters.

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 08:58 PM
I'm not rusted on pro-labor. I'm anti Howard and anti Abbott, and their policies and various beliefs.
I didnt call you out as pro anything, both you and Just are both anti's

I would have voted Liberal in this election if Malcolm Turnbull was leader of the opposition.

Turnbull looks out of place in the Liberal Party to me, and I am genuinely afraid of what he might do if he ever becomes PM. No special reason, its just the Vibe.

just
27th August 2010, 08:58 PM
You nearly always lean to Labor Just. I think it is due to the large number of conservatives on here, so you pick the biggest fight.
No I don't lean to Labor. I do grant you that I am probably am more liberal than most on here.

Message to Labor in QLD is bugga off.
I said that, but on pointless state issues for the most part.

And Yoss, get it right, champagne sipping, lefty elitist in an ivory tower.

just
27th August 2010, 09:02 PM
Bigot. Only valid view is obviously yours. Why do lefty's constantly deny they are labor voters.
Why do conservatives always deny they are anything but. I didn't vote Labor by the way Pete, if it makes you feel happy.

WBennett
27th August 2010, 09:06 PM

Bigot? Because I'm willing to allow refugees to come to Australia and apply for citizenship?

I played football the last two years with a Sudanese refugee. He came to Australia as a 17 year old with his mother and two younger siblings, and this year completed his medical training and is now a nurse, contributing to Australian society, paying taxes and being one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Yes, he's 7 foot tall, black as the ace of spades and would probably scare you if you saw him following you down a dark alley.

Maybe I'm just more willing to give people a chance.

Petey - I voted for Howard the year he came into power. I have previously voted Liberal in ACT Assembly elections. See my 'I take each vote on the policies offered'. And yet I'm the bigot?

just
27th August 2010, 09:08 PM
Your long list of quite strong "i will not vote for's". That list places you neatly in either Labor or Greens camp.
No it didn't. Most of the stuff I listed I was against was Labor Party policy. So your wrong again.

you replied to it!
There was a theory in there? I thought I was replying to wierd ramblings.

already said that.
No, you haven't.

I didnt call you out as pro anything, both you and Just are both anti's
You keep evading the question, what am I anti other than anti-Blake. I am for things, unlike yourself and your narrow social agenda.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:13 PM
Bigot? Because I'm willing to allow refugees to come to Australia and apply for citizenship?

I played football the last two years with a Sudanese refugee. He came to Australia as a 17 year old with his mother and two younger siblings, and this year completed his medical training and is now a nurse, contributing to Australian society, paying taxes and being one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Yes, he's 7 foot tall, black as the ace of spades and would probably scare you if you saw him following you down a dark alley.

Maybe I'm just more willing to give people a chance.

Petey - I voted for Howard the year he came into power. I have previously voted Liberal in ACT Assembly elections. See my 'I take each vote on the policies offered'. And yet I'm the bigot?

You are a bigot because you put down someone who thinks differently to you. The stop the boats is not an anti refugee thing, it is a stop human traffic thing.

Defn - –noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

nothing to do with race.

WBennett
27th August 2010, 09:17 PM
Are you suggesting that Abbott's 'Stop the boats' was a policy designed to rally against Human Trafficing, and not blatant racist politics hiding behind a very, very thin veil?

In that case, I beg to differ. I believe it was White Australia policy renamed.

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 09:19 PM
No it didn't. Most of the stuff I listed I was against was Labor Party policy.

I got no chance of finding it, so I will just have to take my recollection that they weren't, sorry :-)

No, you haven't.

Go back to your first reply to me in this thread, its not that hard!
(about page 3)

what am I anti other than anti-Blake
So your long list of anti's was anti-blake?
thats a surprise cos I haven't put forward any of that stuff.

I am for things, unlike yourself and your narrow social agenda.

Am i like those pushing their own narrow social agenda on all of us too.

WBennett
27th August 2010, 09:22 PM
I'd like to play 18 holes with Just, Blakey and PeteyD, then get a skinful afterwards.

It would be a fun day (especially if Collingwood was on the TV and winning whilst we were getting said skinful)

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:22 PM
Hardly white australia policy. Personally, I think it was appalling and designed to tap into a perceived public view, but I don't think it makes Abbott a rascist red neck bottom dwelling pig.

The stop the boats is to try and bring the refugees through the correct channels, as your mate from Sudan probably came. No one should have to pay a fortune to be squished into those boats in those conditions. It has nothing to do with stopping refugees coming here.

just
27th August 2010, 09:23 PM
So your long list of anti's was anti-blake?
thats a surprise cos I haven't put forward any of that stuff.
I can easily re-state my position from that thread to say the same thing and make it all look pro-something. Would it make you happier?

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:24 PM
You can make blakey happy?

just
27th August 2010, 09:25 PM
Hardly white australia policy. Personally, I think it was appalling and designed to tap into a perceived public view, but I don't think it makes Abbott a rascist red neck bottom dwelling pig.

The stop the boats is to try and bring the refugees through the correct channels, as your mate from Sudan probably came. No one should have to pay a fortune to be squished into those boats in those conditions. It has nothing to do with stopping refugees coming here.
Abbotts not a racist, but neither does it have anything to do with stopping human trafficking or border protection. Both major parties were reprehensible.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:31 PM
Agreed. The whole thing is shocking. So is the personal attacks that a lot of the political advertising has resorted to now. Dreadful stuff. No wonder there were so many informal votes.

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 09:33 PM
I'd like to play 18 holes with Just, Blakey and PeteyD, then get a skinful afterwards.
Just doesnt play Ozgolf days, he sends a nice quiet bloke in his place.

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 09:35 PM
I can easily re-state my position from that thread to say the same thing and make it all look pro-something. Would it make you happier?
dont worry, I can find it. I wouldnt think you have mentioned chaplains all that often.

You can make blakey happy?

Only if he behaves.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:35 PM
The better he plays the quieter he gets.

just
27th August 2010, 09:36 PM
Just doesnt play Ozgolf days, he sends a nice quiet bloke in his place.
I keep him in the cupboard with my clubs.

mike
27th August 2010, 09:42 PM
The whole thing is shocking. So is the personal attacks that a lot of the political advertising has resorted to now. Dreadful stuff. Hasn't it always been that way?

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 09:44 PM
Bigot?

Sorry to affirm it but yes. Bigotry is not exclusive to skin colours, and you have made it clear very often were your prejudices lie.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:44 PM
Dunno. I think it has got progressively worse. I think Hawke was the first PM where people wanted to specifically vote for him, rather than vote Labor. Anyway, no more until the next election, unless we get a crap policy that needs a fortuen spent advertising it ...

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 09:51 PM
Personal attacks make such great media though. "The media" which whinged about the state of affairs this election really needs to take a look at itself IMO. They control the votes of bogan australia. That is my massive generalisation for the evening.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 09:53 PM
Don't get much more massive than that!

WBennett
27th August 2010, 09:54 PM
Sorry to affirm it but yes. Bigotry is not exclusive to skin colours, and you have made it clear very often were your prejudices lie.

Blakey, if you are going to tar me with that brush, I can offer a mirror back at you.

WBennett
27th August 2010, 09:58 PM
Personal attacks make such great media though. "The media" which whinged about the state of affairs this election really needs to take a look at itself IMO. They control the votes of bogan australia. That is my massive generalisation for the evening.

I blame talkback radio.

Bernard Keane had a pretty good piece in Crikey a fortnight ago - to paraphrase as its not on line to non subscribers 'this campaign is what we deserve for not being active in the political process, and accepting lazy media and journalism'

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 10:00 PM
I blame talkback radio.

Bernard Keane had a pretty good piece in Crikey a fortnight ago - to paraphrase as its not on line to non subscribers 'this campaign is what we deserve for not being active in the political process, and accepting lazy media and journalism'

I agree. Try telling that to some of the died in the wool supporters of both parties though!

markTHEblake
27th August 2010, 10:05 PM
Blakey, if you are going to tar me with that brush, I can offer a mirror back at you.

Can you?, I dont recall making seriously derogatory comments about people just because I dont agree with their world view.
In any case, at least i dont run away when challenged, I'll stand on and justify my view for ever and a day!

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 10:05 PM
'this campaign is what we deserve for not being active in the political process, and accepting lazy media and journalism'

Ooo I like that. Everyone likes to deride the politicians, but few are willing to put their hand up. I'd love to see the result of this election end the party line crap we have to put up with. Bit hopeful I think though.

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 10:13 PM
I agree. Try telling that to some of the died in the wool supporters of both parties though!

To expand, which is part of the problem. People are still willing to accept this bland shit being served up to them and bleet it back to me. It isn't how the system was meant to work!

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 10:14 PM
How was it meant to work?

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 10:16 PM
Well I guess that depends how you want to interpret the constitution.

EDIT

For mine, localised power-state power, representatives representing their electorates. Federal power has gone too far in some areas IMO. Party politics to an extent is unavoidable but should not be preferred to the opinions of the people who elected you. I am a little boozed and confused in my own thoughts.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 10:19 PM
I just wanted a suggestion I guess. Been a long time since I looked at the constitution.

I am sure the 2 party system where not voting along party lines is called crossing the floor (which refers to changing to the other party in the UK I believe) is NOT what was envisaged.There was a good article I read about this. I think it was online. I shall endeavour to find it.

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 10:21 PM
Sorry petey see my edit ramblings.

PeteyD
27th August 2010, 10:27 PM
There is the argument for removing the state governments (traditionally a Labor policy, that seems to have swapped around in the last decade). The constitution protects the rights of the states. as you would know being a Law student type person. I don't have an answer, or even a suggestion. But I would like to see the people represented rather than the party/parliamentarian.

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 10:34 PM
The guys, sorry ladies, that drafted the constitution were pretty smart. Certainly a lot smarter than me. There was a reason they left the states intact and autonomous IMO. And the High Court has been wrong, but for good reasons, to chip away at state powers versus the Federal parliament.

The argument that things can better be controlled at a higher centralised level is one that has never sat well with me. Certainly there are thing better dealt with at a federal level. Defense being the obvious one, but so many issues are better dealt with locally IMO. Obviously this is a generalisation that doesn't fit all the specifics but I really think we have the balance wrong atm.

I don't like to throw my opinion out there too much because there is still so much for me to read and attempt to understand. So don't take my word for it :)

Further edit

I agree about "The People" being better represented and you can see how people can view the idea of a party making it easier to represent and implement policy for the people. Again I think this is something of a fallacy.

LarryLong
27th August 2010, 10:45 PM
I just wanted a suggestion I guess. Been a long time since I looked at the constitution.

I am sure the 2 party system where not voting along party lines is called crossing the floor (which refers to changing to the other party in the UK I believe) is NOT what was envisaged.There was a good article I read about this. I think it was online. I shall endeavour to find it.

I found post #55 quite helpful.

This thread is not dissimilar to the election campaign.

markTHEblake
28th August 2010, 12:54 AM
This is a very good read
http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2010/08/hung-parliament-where-to-from-here.html

Explains what will happen in a hung parliament. I never knew any of this stuff and found it quite interesting
If I understand all this correctly;
As some of the independants have stated that they might not support either party, Gillard remains PM unless defeated by a No Confidence vote, which probably wouldn't happen unless Abbott was sure he had the numbers. Then Abbott would only take over if he can convince the GG that he can form a government. If he cant, then the GG could appoint a PM of her choice, as has happened before. Katter for PM?
The other interesting scenario is Gillard has to appoint a speaker, if its a Labor person, she loses another vote in the house. Katter for speaker then ? :-)

goughy
29th August 2010, 07:33 AM
I keep him in the cupboard with my clubs.

Then you should have found a better golfer to keep in there!!

Boom tish!!! :)

razaar
29th August 2010, 02:11 PM
The guys, sorry ladies, that drafted the constitution were pretty smart. Certainly a lot smarter than me. There was a reason they left the states intact and autonomous IMO. And the High Court has been wrong, but for good reasons, to chip away at state powers versus the Federal parliament.

The argument that things can better be controlled at a higher centralised level is one that has never sat well with me. Certainly there are thing better dealt with at a federal level. Defense being the obvious one, but so many issues are better dealt with locally IMO. Obviously this is a generalisation that doesn't fit all the specifics but I really think we have the balance wrong atm.

I don't like to throw my opinion out there too much because there is still so much for me to read and attempt to understand. So don't take my word for it :)

Further edit

I agree about "The People" being better represented and you can see how people can view the idea of a party making it easier to represent and implement policy for the people. Again I think this is something of a fallacy.
Are you familiar with the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act (1900) and the Australia Act 1986, Yoss?

Yossarian
29th August 2010, 03:12 PM
Familiar yes, not enough that I would even take my own word for half of what I say about both though.

razaar
29th August 2010, 03:39 PM
"The Australian Constitution" by Geoffrey Sawer (latest edition, mine is 1988 ) is an excellent read, if you are into this sort of thing.

markTHEblake
29th August 2010, 03:47 PM
Raz,, anything important in that we should know?

are we vulnerable to a hostile takeover from a more powerful govt like NZ for example right now?

Courty
29th August 2010, 05:03 PM
Is there a deadline on how long this needs to take, or can the independents hold the nation to ransom for as long as they like?

I find it disturbing that 20 million people voted, but that the final decision comes down to 3 people.

razaar
29th August 2010, 05:12 PM
Raz,, anything important in that we should know?

are we vulnerable to a hostile takeover from a more powerful govt like NZ for example right now?
No Blakey, pretty neat result actually. That is unless you are a supporter of the National Party. At a guess I would say this election has just motally wounded the Nationals. The three independants will inflict the coup de grace. Isn't it fun seeing the pollies in a turmoil.;)

markTHEblake
29th August 2010, 05:40 PM
Is there a deadline on how long this needs to take, or can the independents hold the nation to ransom for as long as they like?

I heard that Parliament has to sit within 30 days of an election, but the independants can remain undecided and therefore independant for 3 years.

This article covers it.

This is a very good read
http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2010/08/hung-parliament-where-to-from-here.html
My interpretation is that Julia Gillard remains PM until she resigns, or is sacked. I think even if she is defeated in parliament she still has to resign.

That is why there will be a hellavu fuss if its ever noticed by the media that Gillard is on the way to see the GG especially if before parliament sits.

sms316
29th August 2010, 05:44 PM
My interpretation is that Julia Gillard remains PM until she resigns, or is sacked. I think even if she is defeated in parliament she still has to resign.

That is why there will be a hellavu fuss if its ever noticed by the media that Gillard is on the way to see the GG especially if before parliament sits.

Heard a constitutional expert on the radio the other day saying what you just said. Gillard needs to go to the GG to say that she cannot form a Government, then Abbott needs to convince her that he can. Otherwise, back to the polls.

razaar
29th August 2010, 06:24 PM
I can't see us going back to the polls. That would be the last thing the parties would want. Those sitting members who have lost their seats and dumped on their party's campaign may not be considered for canditure. There are all sorts of issues that adversley affect all parties. The advertising costs by the parties may have to be met by the parties second time around. Afterall they are private organizations.

The smart money is on Abbott as PM, with the three ex-Nationals siding with Abbott after they have done teasing Gillard and got as much pork for their electorates and themselves as possible. After all they are pollies.

LarryLong
29th August 2010, 06:59 PM
My ballot paper gets mentioned in The Age! (http://www.theage.com.au/federal-election/latham-effect-has-thousands-blanking-out-20100828-13wxt.html)

Who said voting informal was completely pointless?

Meanwhile, could Julia Gillard just refuse to go to the GG for 29.99 days even if she knows that the independents aren't going to back her? If I was in her shoes I would do whatever it takes to stay as PM for the maximum allowable time, just for kicks.

kpac
30th August 2010, 09:23 AM
If I was in her shoes I would do whatever it takes to stay as PM for the maximum allowable time, just for kicks.

how nobel of you

razaar
30th August 2010, 09:34 AM
My ballot paper gets mentioned in The Age! (http://www.theage.com.au/federal-election/latham-effect-has-thousands-blanking-out-20100828-13wxt.html)

Who said voting informal was completely pointless?

Meanwhile, could Julia Gillard just refuse to go to the GG for 29.99 days even if she knows that the independents aren't going to back her? If I was in her shoes I would do whatever it takes to stay as PM for the maximum allowable time, just for kicks.
The Consitution requires Parliament to be summoned to meet not later than thirty days after the day appointed for the return of the writs ( the writs are returned after the votes have been counted). It doesn't say anything about what you are referring to.

LarryLong
30th August 2010, 02:31 PM
how nobel of you

I'm trying to imagine myself as a politician.

Ray, you're correct, I mis-read what Blakey wrote.

markTHEblake
30th August 2010, 06:26 PM
In 1974, this exact election result occurred in England. Edward Heath the PM resigned before Parliament sat, as was unable to come to an agreement for a coalition. The Queen appointed the leader of the opposition as caretaker PM. They held another election 6 months later as the minority was unworkable.

Yossarian
1st September 2010, 06:01 PM
This is why we need to stop the boats! Chaos in the NT! Bloody boats.

Courty
1st September 2010, 06:06 PM
This country governed yet?

mike
1st September 2010, 06:07 PM
Katter's in charge.

markTHEblake
1st September 2010, 06:29 PM
there is always Boats in the NT. Heck even one landed on the beach in Darwin and was barbecuing fish before morning joggers phoned customs.

Interesting that the Greens have been the first to move by formally doing the deal with Labor. Thats all well and good for Adam Bandt if the other Independents go to the ALP as well, as that makes him a powerful man. But what if the Independants go to the Coalition, Adam then becomes completely insignificant.

macjackass
2nd September 2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/treasury-wipes-10b-off-lib-costings-20100901-14nmw.html

razaar
3rd September 2010, 11:02 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/03/3001444.htm

Wilkie is looking out for number 1 and next time around. He may pick up both Labour and the LNP (maybe not) preferences. Will the other three do a "Wilkie" and put themselves first - you betcha.

sms316
6th September 2010, 05:38 PM
This decided yet?

Courty
6th September 2010, 05:45 PM
This decided yet?

These three independents have turned the whole thing into a frikkin sideshow. Their 15 minutes is well & truly over.

razaar
6th September 2010, 05:46 PM
Mad Katter's Tea Party still going.

sms316
6th September 2010, 05:49 PM
Paul Hogan for PM!

razaar
6th September 2010, 05:54 PM
Saturday's Courier Mail had an article on page 51 titled "Katterstrophe!" that was gold.

PeteyD
6th September 2010, 11:33 PM
The polls won't be declared for another two weeks. So technically nothing they agree can be ratified until then anyway. The media are making it into a circus. Surprise surprise surprise.

Scottt
7th September 2010, 12:17 AM
It's a complete f**king farce, which is why the media is justifiably pointing out what a complete f**king farce it is.

Doesn't the new parliament have to sit by September 7?

razaar
7th September 2010, 06:45 AM
Scottt
See post #157. The writs will be served when the votes have been counted, which is still continuing. If the 3 independants and the WA National Candidate fail to give either party a clear majority of 76 seats, then we will have to wait for Parliament to sit to test the matter on the floor. Neither will want to offer up a Speaker because it will reduce their vote on the floor by one. If Parliament can't decide a Government then it will be back to the polls. That will be the least favoured option of the parties.

kpac
7th September 2010, 09:01 AM
75 all... and back to the polls i'm hoping....

sms316
7th September 2010, 09:05 AM
75 all... and back to the polls i'm hoping....

The independants would be seriously dense if they took the risk of going back to the polls and potentially losing their seats.

kpac
7th September 2010, 10:06 AM
The independants would be seriously dense if they took the risk of going back to the polls and potentially losing their seats.

And that's why this is being dragged out obviously. The independents left (well 2 of them) will be harshly criticised by the majority of those who elected them should they side with the ALP. So i'd imagine they are trying to figure out whether they side with the party that ensures they 'have a job' for the interim, OR do as their electorate would wish and run the risk of returning to polls.

Think about it this way, even if a majority is formed there is a distinct possibility that we'll be back to the polls very soon, if not immediately. And if that happens do you think Katter's electorate is going to stay behind him if he sides with labor....
The indépendants have to weigh up immediate future with longevity within electorate... big call.

just
7th September 2010, 10:21 AM
And that's why this is being dragged out obviously. The independents left (well 2 of them) will be harshly criticised by the majority of those who elected them should they side with the ALP. So i'd imagine they are trying to figure out whether they side with the party that ensures they 'have a job' for the interim, OR do as their electorate would wish and run the risk of returning to polls.

Think about it this way, even if a majority is formed there is a distinct possibility that we'll be back to the polls very soon, if not immediately. And if that happens do you think Katter's electorate is going to stay behind him if he sides with labor....
The indépendants have to weigh up immediate future with longevity within electorate... big call.
You are way off track if you think their electorates are going to get rid of them if they side with Labor. Katter's electorate has voted Labor in the past. Windsor's electorate while mostly conservative has pockets of Labor support. And finally check the polls in their electorates, a large proportion of the conservative vote in their electorates still vote for the Nationals not for the independents. They are better off getting everything they can get for their electorates which will ensure the Labor vote and the moderate conservative still vote for them. As long as the electorate is well looked after they will vote for the independents.

PerryGroves
7th September 2010, 11:03 AM
You are way off track if you think their electorates are going to get rid of them if they side with Labor. Katter's electorate has voted Labor in the past. Windsor's electorate while mostly conservative has pockets of Labor support. And finally check the polls in their electorates, a large proportion of the conservative vote in their electorates still vote for the Nationals not for the independents. They are better off getting everything they can get for their electorates which will ensure the Labor vote and the moderate conservative still vote for them. As long as the electorate is well looked after they will vote for the independents.

Just, agreed, it is difficult for Windsor to go to Labor (without some display of defiance) regardless of what pork they promise. If you go back prior to Windsor (1998 the first preference Labor vote in NE was 23%, one of the lowest in the country (apart from my old man's seat of Bradfield where they managed 18%). Given the market thinks Labor forms Govt, does Windsor simply go along with the rest and present as the reluctant participant. The worst thing he/they can do (the independents) is end up back at the polls, they need to maximise their power as it is. It's all in the presentation post the deal.

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 11:05 AM
The independnts can say what they like on who they will support. As Ray says, it needs to be tested on the floor. I love the people calling for another poll, are they admitting that their initial vote was an error and they are going to change it?

kpac
7th September 2010, 11:22 AM
are they admitting that their initial vote was an error and they are going to change it?
No but i'm hoping other would....

Just, Katter's situation is a bit of a micro climate i suppose. He'll be the last to make a decision i bet, and he will be the most adamant of the lot not to want another election. This position of power and spotlight is exactly what he wants.

Personally i want another election, it'd serve me better. The chance for thing to change (pure selfish interest)

razaar
7th September 2010, 12:37 PM
Ted Mack (a previous State and Fed independant) expressed a view that he expected the 3 Amigos to side with Labour. His reason was that those electorates would get more out of Labour than the LNP because it would be in Labour's best interests to keep them as elected members. Labour has bucklys of winning these seats. He rationized that a LNP Gov. could starve these electorates and have a chance of winning them next time around. Interesting view point.

WBennett
7th September 2010, 01:07 PM
Raz

I agree with Ted Mack on his opinion - as partners in a minority Labour Government, the three Independants would have a much stronger bargaining position with the Government than if they were the poor cousin of the Coalition.

What I don't understand is Tony Abbott's fury at the ALP working with the greens as an 'alliance'. How is that any different to the Coalition? Left side sticks with the left, right side with right? The ACT has had ALP/Green alliances for the last few terms...

ps - Bob Katter on qanda last night came across as a raving lunatic. A passionate raving lunatic, but a lunatic nevertheless! Bloody Queenslanders :)

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 01:10 PM
FFS it is Labor! No u for union!

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 01:10 PM
The greens has always been a loony left party. As if they wold support anyone other than Labor.

kpac
7th September 2010, 01:17 PM
What I don't understand is Tony Abbott's fury at the ALP working with the greens as an 'alliance'. How is that any different to the Coalition?
lol it's a front mate.

I'd have thought it obvious that the concept was to 'taint the ALP' with the 'Greens image'. Tony's 'fury' is just a way to highlight that Labor and the Greens are the same party. I'm certain LNP wasn't surprised, they would have seen this as an opportunity to use this 'coalition' image to try sway the real independents.

razaar
7th September 2010, 01:23 PM
Bob Katter on qanda last night came across as a raving lunatic. A passionate raving lunatic, but a lunatic nevertheless! Bloody Queenslanders :)
WB
I worked with skatter when he was a Qld Minister. Unfortunately I got caught up in a struggle between a Dept. Under Secretary and Bobkat so I got to see the guy up close and personal. He is 10 times worse in person than what is shown on TV. It is good that his electorate gets to see the real idiot that they elected.

WBennett
7th September 2010, 01:31 PM
There were moments in QandA where I thought BobKat would need a defib device applied to him within seconds...

The Indies have done well getting much needed Parliamentary reforms through, and through these we should have better Government though increased accountability in Question time, though political donations, pairing off and the other reforms

Whatever happens, interesting days indeed. And I think it will be an ALP Government announced at 3pm, with an ALP Speaker and a Liberals Deputy Speaker for balance in numbers.

If its Liberal, wait for the double dissolution in September next year when the Coalition realises that the Greens won't let anything through the senate...

sms316
7th September 2010, 01:38 PM
Katter just announced he is siding with the Coalition.

WBennett
7th September 2010, 01:38 PM
BobKat is backing the Coalition. Its up to the other two now....

sms316
7th September 2010, 01:41 PM
He's impressive in a media conference. Anything but dull.

:lol:

razaar
7th September 2010, 01:43 PM
BobKat is backing the Coalition. Its up to the other two now.... I see that...he sounds very stressed on Sky News. This bloke is a loose cannon, anybody close to him could get shot.:lol:

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 01:43 PM
The greens will block anything Labor opposes in the senate. A lot of legislation will still go through.

Saw an interesting article that forming a minority government could mean a kiss of death at the next election if it doesn't work. Not sure how good the research was for it.

I hope the reforms are significant and work. We still need to move away from the party line locked in mentality. You can not effectively represent your electorate if you have to toe the party line.

sms316
7th September 2010, 01:46 PM
I see that...he sounds very stressed on Sky News. This bloke is a loose cannon, anybody close to him could get shot.:lol:

Not wrong. He's going to blow a head gasket shortly.

WBennett
7th September 2010, 01:47 PM
Petey

Last night Peter Beattie was talking about him taking a minority Govt with 44 seats in Queensland in the 90's. The next election he had 66 seats. Minority Governments can work.

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 01:50 PM
Yea. I think Beattie was a far better politician than either of the two we are presented with now, and the opposition fell into a big pile of crap they are only just starting to get themselves out of now. The article was considering a failure of a minority government reflecting poorly on those that formed it.

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 01:55 PM
Why can't the other two speak now as well? Are they still deciding?

goughy
7th September 2010, 02:01 PM
It was announced that there would be a news conference at 3pm regarding the 3 independents decision. Rob just told me about Katter going with the LNP. This was her thoughts! If Katter was going along with the other 2, why would he come out an hour earlier stating he was backing the LNP? She thinks the only reason he's done it is because he is not going along the same lines as the other 2. That made sense to me.

razaar
7th September 2010, 02:05 PM
Yep that's right. Sky News reads it the same way, a win to Labor.

kpac
7th September 2010, 02:06 PM
If Katter was going along with the other 2, why would he come out an hour earlier stating he was backing the LNP? She thinks the only reason he's done it is because he is not going along the same lines as the other 2. That made sense to me.

DO NOT rationalise anything the bloke says... whatever his motive, it's unlikely logical. Far more likely he wanted to headline himself, rather than anything else..

Mind you he's gone up a notch on my belt..... from notch negative 1billion.

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 02:07 PM
I don't care who they are supporting, why do we have to wait. Grandstanding wankers.

just
7th September 2010, 02:08 PM
Is anyone able to follow his train of thought?

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 02:10 PM
Ozzy Osbourne, on the crazy train.

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 02:11 PM
Is anyone able to follow his train of thought?

Do mushrooms thrive in QLD?

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 02:11 PM
Just like WAnkers in WA :D

razaar
7th September 2010, 02:12 PM
Do mushrooms thrive in QLD?
Katter favours the yellow ones.:lol:

just
7th September 2010, 02:19 PM
I think I'm right in saying it was all about wild rivers of ethanol flowing through his electorate to the first Australians who are building their own houses out of a mining tax and bagasse, which will save the sugar industry and allow us all to fish freely with the receipts the farmers need. Is this correct?

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 02:20 PM
I think I'm right in saying it was all about wild rivers of ethanol flowing through his electorate to the first Australians who are building their own houses out of a mining tax and bagasse, which will save the sugar industry and allow us all to fish freely. Is this correct?

Talk about a mixed blessing with him on your side.

WBennett
7th September 2010, 02:23 PM
Coalition out from $3 to $4.50 at Betfair....

Dcanto
7th September 2010, 02:23 PM
I think I'm right in saying it was all about wild rivers of ethanol flowing through his electorate to the first Australians who are building their own houses out of a mining tax and bagasse, which will save the sugar industry and allow us all to fish freely with the receipts the farmers need. Is this correct?

Sounds logical to me. :smt101

kpac
7th September 2010, 02:27 PM
Coalition out from $3 to $4.50 at Betfair....

did you get on? I'd take $4.50's quick smart that's stupid good! You could cover yourself even with the big co's.

WBennett
7th September 2010, 02:40 PM
No good, gambling blocked at work.

Sitting around waiting for the election result is as well ;)

kpac
7th September 2010, 02:56 PM
well they're into $3 now... still the outsiders and probably a realistic figure

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 02:59 PM
Is it 3 pm EST that they are entering stage right?

WBennett
7th September 2010, 03:08 PM
Windsor ALP

Jarro
7th September 2010, 03:09 PM
Go the Ranga !!!!!!!!!!!

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 03:21 PM
Oakeshott does go on doesn't he.

Daves
7th September 2010, 03:23 PM
Oakeshott does go on doesn't he.

They are all full of their own importance.

Eldrick
7th September 2010, 03:24 PM
it's like a drunken father of the bride speech at a wedding

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Just say it already!

henno
7th September 2010, 03:26 PM
Despite his waffling, it's obvious, isn't it?

Jarro
7th September 2010, 03:27 PM
It is

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 03:27 PM
You'd think it is. But still just say it FFS

just
7th September 2010, 03:30 PM
Despite his waffling, it's obvious, isn't it?

He's voting for the whales?

WBennett
7th September 2010, 03:31 PM
Let him enjoy his 15 minutes of fame - the entire office is sitting around the two teles right now...

3oneday
7th September 2010, 03:31 PM
Doesn't he know 15 minutes of fame isn't really 15 minutes ?

kpac
7th September 2010, 03:35 PM
A pretty obvious outcome i guess - still a crap decision.

just
7th September 2010, 03:37 PM
Kpac
Whatever party you support at the very least we will get parliamentary reform. You don't like parliamentary reform?

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 03:37 PM
Does anyone think this can last? Greens, independant nationals and labor?

EDIT

Reform good.

razaar
7th September 2010, 03:40 PM
hahahaha..if this was fiction nobody would buy it. We have just seen an independant Minister in a Labor Government.:lol::lol::lol:

kpac
7th September 2010, 03:41 PM
Kpac
Whatever party you support at the very least we will get parliamentary reform. You don't like parliamentary reform?

correct actually, read the reform paper it this morning, and have thought about it since..... struggle to see it achieving anything that will effectively improve the ability for decent decisions to be made.

I can't even see how it can be called "reform", it's a minor touch-up.

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 03:44 PM
That is my concern. Reform to what extent. Who will be speaker? And doesn't that then give us a hung parliament?

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 03:45 PM
My maths also sucks.

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 03:46 PM
oh no, 76-74 take one out you still have a majority. Silly me.

PerryGroves
7th September 2010, 03:47 PM
Well, back to arguing with council about my DA

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 03:48 PM
Derp. Does anyone think they split to mantain their power in a way? The two have more leverage in a way than three?

WBennett
7th September 2010, 03:51 PM
hahahaha..if this was fiction nobody would buy it. We have just seen an independant Minister in a Labor Government.:lol::lol::lol:

The ACT has had Independant Ministers in the Legislative Assembly. It can work if people want to make it work.

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 03:53 PM
The ACT has had Independant Ministers in the Legislative Assembly. It can work if people want to make it work.

Do you think a Greens/ Independant with National leanings/ Labor thing can work?

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 03:55 PM
Nope. We need a bi-election to really make it interesting. One thing is that Labor is unlikely to face a hostile senate after the middle of next year.

just
7th September 2010, 03:57 PM
Do you think a Greens/ Independant with National leanings/ Labor thing can work?

Do you think a Liberal/Nationals who hate Independents/Independents hate Nationals with a Green controlled senate would have worked? The bottom line is that for the forseeable future governments will have to work with the Greens. Both parties haven't come to grips with it yet.

correct actually, read the reform paper it this morning, and have thought about it since..... struggle to see it achieving anything that will effectively improve the ability for decent decisions to be made.

I can't even see how it can be called "reform", it's a minor touch-up.
You only think that because you're a rusted on Coalition voter who didn't get his way.

WBennett
7th September 2010, 03:59 PM
Rob Oakeshott seems far more sensible than the average Parliamentarian. He would be driving policy in an area which he seems deeply committed to and passionate about in Regional Development.

Windsor doesn't seem up for a Ministerial position, and BobKat's a complete nutter. How many Ozgolfers sit in his electorate?

A couple of things I noticed - Oakeshott had a fair crack at NewsLtd and the Australian for unbalanced reporting. His recognition of indigenous issues is extremely relevant in his electorate (Lyne), which has a large aboriginal population. Their support for tertiary and adult education opportunities was clearly demonstrated.

Barnaby Joyce going off like a baby on ABC24 is proof enough for me that the Independants made the right decision, and their reforms may lead to a better country. Barnaby is having a megasook!

Yossarian
7th September 2010, 04:07 PM
Do you think a Liberal/Nationals who hate Independents/Independents hate Nationals with a Green controlled senate would have worked? The bottom line is that for the forseeable future governments will have to work with the Greens. Both parties haven't come to grips with it yet.

I dunno. Interesting times ahead. I might begin preparing my apocalypse bunker.

kpac
7th September 2010, 04:08 PM
You only think that because you're a rusted on Coalition voter
Incorrect.

who didn't get his way.
Correct. What we have got is a government that is makeshift, not supported by voters, self interested, and a poor economic recent history. You go on, as you may, about how that is a 'good result' and i'll be happy to hear it. I've vote labor previously, and may again, but I, like most of the country voted that the ALP government has been poor for the last 3 years, and wanted 'something else'.

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 04:12 PM
We have got something else. Just not a decisive something else. The green control of the senate concerns me. They are as nutty as Katter, but hide under the 'Green' is nice and warm and fuzzy concept.

macjackass
7th September 2010, 04:25 PM
We have got something else. Just not a decisive something else. The green control of the senate concerns me. They are as nutty as Katter, but hide under the 'Green' is nice and warm and fuzzy concept.

Nutty as Katter? How exactly do you come to that conclusion?

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 04:28 PM
By reading their policies.

macjackass
7th September 2010, 04:31 PM
By reading their policies.

Which ones, in particular?

PeteyD
7th September 2010, 04:46 PM
http://www.spectator.co.uk/australia/6243588/has-no-one-looked-at-the-green-partys-policies.thtml

To start with.

The Greens are the extreme left party of Australian politics.

razaar
7th September 2010, 04:59 PM

We have all seen how the Labor Party treats its own. Now we will really find out how tough Oak is.

I consider this to be the very best election of all time and the best result possible. Party politics just received a kick in the guts and my mate skatter revealed to one and all his incredible brain.

All we need now is for Kev, the sponsor of the imported bananas, to retire from politics.

macjackass
7th September 2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.spectator.co.uk/australia/6243588/has-no-one-looked-at-the-green-partys-policies.thtml

To start with.

The Greens are the extreme left party of Australian politics.

Good grief, what a pile of right-wing bile.

Tongueboy
7th September 2010, 05:13 PM
that is what you get here. right wing bile