PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Laptop....Nothing fancy, need something for assignments

Speirsy11
5th May 2005, 01:08 PM
Hi

Does anyone have a laptop they are looking to part with? I need something for writing assignments at the Uni and such...Nothing fancy required, but would prefer something with Windows ME or higher.....

Please PM me with anything you might have available.......

Thanks

Speirsy

Fishman Dan
5th May 2005, 01:21 PM
How soon do you need it?

Bruce
5th May 2005, 02:05 PM
Working for a large blue tech company gives me access to this sort of thing.

I'll send you a link as soon as I can find it.

Trung
5th May 2005, 02:13 PM
Laptop hey... What is a laptop?

oh oh.... I just got a new one from work. It's a Sony with centrino mobile technology :P :P

Sorry, I have to brag 8) :P

Speirsy11
5th May 2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys.....ASAP frankly, I have a bunch of Uni work due in the next little while, and with 4 students in this house, the computer is not always as accessible as I'd like :(

Trung..........You suck.......Got an old one you want to dump now that you have a new one? Or are laptops not like drivers and people keep them around? :P

Speirsy

Fishman Dan
5th May 2005, 02:18 PM

oh oh.... I just got a new one from work. It's a Sony with centrino mobile technology  :P  :P

Sorry, I have to brag  8)  :P

:lol:

Sorry Trung, but as an uber-nerd i have to say I don't like Sony laptops. Chock full of bells'n'whistles and eye-candy, but you're pretty much paying for the name. Mind you, you haven't spent a cent on it, so it's all good ;)

I picked up a new Dell Latitude D810 the other day, with a wide screen on it. Much too overpowered for what i need it for, but that's what budgets are for aren't they?!

Speirsy11
5th May 2005, 02:20 PM
So, what we are all saying is everyone has a cool Laptop but me.......great....... :lol:

Speirsy

Fishman Dan
5th May 2005, 02:23 PM
So, what we are all saying is everyone has a cool Laptop but me.......great....... :lol:

Speirsy

You said in your first post that you don't want a cool laptop, just one that does assignments ;)

The 'cool' ones we just got replace a couple of older ones, i'm not sure what's planned for them, but our company 'owns' them (as opposed to leasing them), so they could be for sale as early as next week.

You mean to tell me a bloke who buys and sells 1000's of dollars of golf gear through online sources can't procure a laptop?? :lol: Aside from eBay, you can get quality stuff cheap from somewhere like http://www.graysonline.com.au - Dell use this site as an outlet for their pre-loved or ex-demo stock, as do Harris Technology.

Note - they are 3 years old, so no bells'n'whistles. They are IBM Thinkpad T20's.

Fishman Dan
5th May 2005, 02:26 PM
http://www.graysonline.com.au/catalogue.asp?SALE_ID=12387&SALE_TYPE=NORM

The items in this auction ends in 35 minutes. Make sure you read all the extra's, including the 'Premium' on top of the bid price, and warranty options if offered.

Speirsy11
5th May 2005, 02:27 PM
True, I don't need anything fancy.......

I did check out Gray's.....some decent deals there too......Just wanted to see if someone on here can hook me up first......

Keep me posted on the old stuff guys....

Thanks

Speirsy

Speirsy11
5th May 2005, 02:42 PM

The items in this auction ends in 35 minutes. Make sure you read all the extra's, including the 'Premium' on top of the bid price, and warranty options if offered.

Saw that one, but alas, no laptops, only desktops.......Oh well, the search continues.......

Trung
5th May 2005, 04:25 PM
we have a wireless router thingy in the office...

so I'm free to move around without the hassel of network cable. :P

macleod
5th May 2005, 04:29 PM

oh oh.... I just got a new one from work. It's a Sony with centrino mobile technology :P :P

Sorry, I have to brag 8) :P
pah, sony laptops....:roll:

my new t41 from work is fine and diehard, especially when dropping kfc skin on the keyboard...smells like home. creamy wireless goodness allowing toilet net access...what a dream :lol:

macleod
5th May 2005, 04:31 PM
we have a wireless router thingy in the office...

so I'm free to move around without the hassel of network cable. :P
but you're still at an office right? :D

ahhhh, think i'll go get another beer whilst playing jedi knights academy on my home pc with the laptop set to chime loudly on receiving 'work' next to me....ahhhhh true bliss in WAH...

macleod
5th May 2005, 04:43 PM

Saw that one, but alas, no laptops, only desktops.......Oh well, the search continues.......
on ebay you can usually get a decent deal on the older 600 series IBM laptops, nice and hardy, good specs and within the price range you want. t20 series are also worth a look for something a bit newer, i've had a couple of 600's, t20, t21, t23 and now the t41.

what's the budget? the refurbs are always worth a gander

www.laptop.com.au is worth a look, and then comparison shop to ebay for specs similar...and see if you find gold in them thar hills!

Fishman Dan
5th May 2005, 04:50 PM

on ebay you can usually get a decent deal on the older 600 series IBM laptops, nice and hardy, good specs and within the price range you want. t20 series are also worth a look for something a bit newer, i've had a couple of 600's, t20, t21, t23 and now the t41.

what's the budget? the refurbs are always worth a gander

www.laptop.com.au is worth a look, and then comparison shop to ebay for specs similar...and see if you find gold in them thar hills!

I'm performing CPR on a 600 at the moment, they are good for anything up to, and just barely, Windows 2000. T20's and up will take 2000 easily, and XP.

I wouldn't suggest tolerating Win 98 in any form - in your language, it would be like a gay-fader trying to use an X-stiff shaft. Workable, but why would you bother? :roll: :lol:

macleod
5th May 2005, 05:24 PM
mate, he just wants a cheapo for assignments :D

a half-specced up one should be ok, but honestly i guess the t20 series are going for ok prices in comparison on ebay lately.

when our company 600's SOE was moved to win2k, and i wasn't a huge fan of them, but with 98/Me they were Ok for the role i had.

maybe he honestly will only want for a web browsing and StarOffice or OpenOffice :D get some cheapo adsl goodness and a wireless router or combo modem, cheap pcmcia wireless and he's in heaven! woohoo! wireless pron in your room! :lol:

Fishman Dan
5th May 2005, 05:30 PM
cheap pcmcia wireless and he's in heaven! woohoo! wireless pron in your room! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

What's the point of having an mpeg that your laptop is barely able to play - ooooh, the frustration!! :cry:

macleod
5th May 2005, 05:34 PM
nah, he can go old school, animated gifs should be fine ;)

http://home.teegee.com.au/scottliddle/beer.gif

Trung
5th May 2005, 05:57 PM
Mac and the pussy cat = a very nice couple

macleod
5th May 2005, 07:44 PM
that's Paris, named due to a unusual way of sleeping with one leg over her head whilst still a kitten....Lyndal thought it more appropriate than "MonkeyFace" or "Blitzkrieg Sally"...i was pulling for "MaryQueenofScots", "Maundy Thursday" or "Bactrian Camel".

our other kitten, Bucky (named for Buckminster Fuller or Bucky the Wisconsin Badger...your choice...) is like 6 kilos at 6 months of age..not fat...just a freaky of nature....but he couldn't appear on the night due to be too bone-arse lazy and sleeping as usual....he needs his nap time to grow more......

markTHEblake
5th May 2005, 10:30 PM
Animated Gif of the year!

macleod
5th May 2005, 10:41 PM
hey, and that's the G rated version ;)