PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid advice

Outcast
17th August 2010, 10:29 PM
Thinking about dropping my 3 iron out in favour of a hybrid;

Current 3 iron, Mizuno MP67, 21* loft with KBS Tour 6.5 Shaft...
I hit it around 220m

Went here once before and was a little perturbed by the shots ballooing into the wind; that's why I went back to a 3 iron. That was with a TM Hybrid (18 or 19 deg I think, can't remember what model); need something with a penetrating ball flight but, soft landing.

Anyone got any thoughts on hybrid loft to match and any comment or experience on particular brands, models or shaft choices.

3oneday
17th August 2010, 10:35 PM
You NQ guys hit it long hey :shock:.

You might find a matching loft hybrid will go even further, maybe try 22 in a steel shaft ?

markTHEblake
17th August 2010, 10:46 PM
need something with a penetrating ball flight but, soft landing
so basically you need something with a higher CG than the typical hybrid and about 21 deg loft, maybe you should consider getting a 3 iron?

Outcast
17th August 2010, 10:48 PM
so basically you need something with a higher CG than the typical hybrid and about 21 deg loft, maybe you should consider getting a 3 iron?

Eh??

Sorry Mark; I have one - I was toying with replacing it with a hybrid or, are you suggesting I don't?

haysey
17th August 2010, 10:50 PM

Annoyingly, he can. Between him and Tomson it's really starting to piss me off.

Outcast
17th August 2010, 10:51 PM

It's the 'sugar' cane....

I match Thomson off the tee pretty much, give or take a metre... :-)

Busted a drive of 320m in Canberra last year; Summer time, higher altitude - measured on GPS at Yowani - blew me away but, not a regular occurrence I might add.

Outcast
17th August 2010, 10:52 PM
Annoyingly, he can. Between him and Tomson it's really starting to piss me off.

Yep, but I can't f****kin putt:evil:

haysey
17th August 2010, 10:53 PM
True:wink:

markTHEblake
17th August 2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry Mark; I have one - I was toying with replacing it with a hybrid or, are you suggesting I don't?

The design of a hybrid, specifically a lower CG, gets the ball up in the air quickly. If you do not want that flight characteristic, then you don't want a hybrid.

Outcast
17th August 2010, 11:05 PM
The design of a hybrid, specifically a lower CG, gets the ball up in the air quickly. If you do not want that flight characteristic, then you don't want a hybrid.

Okay, I think I get it but, then why doesn't a 3 wood balloon into the wind so much; I thought they had a pretty low cg too?

Does anyone design a hybrid that gets in the air quick and then flattens out rather than on a rising trajectory. (I think that describes what I mean)

parlyboy
17th August 2010, 11:16 PM
Okay, I think I get it but, then why doesn't a 3 wood balloon into the wind so much; I thought they had a pretty low cg too?

Does anyone design a hybrid that gets in the air quick and then flattens out rather than on a rising trajectory. (I think that describes what I mean)
Add 2 inches to ur chipper, there is ur hybrid.

3oneday
17th August 2010, 11:18 PM
He has a chipper :shock: how far does that go !!! :lol:

Outcast
17th August 2010, 11:21 PM
Add 2 inches to ur chipper, there is ur hybrid.

Mate, that's gold... but I'll have to look in the bargain bin for an 80's chipper first - do you have a shaft recommendation?:smt026

Outcast
17th August 2010, 11:22 PM
He has a chipper :shock: how far does that go !!! :lol:

Yup - it's called a 7 iron....

And it depends how hard I hit it....:smt079

rick3003
17th August 2010, 11:22 PM
Try a Ping i15, stock shaft is a red axiv which should work.

Ned
18th August 2010, 06:23 AM
Yep, but I can't f****kin putt:evil:

Take a number!

razaar
18th August 2010, 07:35 AM
220 metre 3-iron...you should be on tour.:lol: Right you can't putt. Why are you worrying about a hybrid, wouldn't the short shots and putting be the issue.
However if your shots with a hybrid balloon, then the problem is in your swing and not the club. I'd bet the house that your left forearm stops rotating in the hitting area, which causes the shaft to get too vertical through impact (semi flip).;)

Toolish
18th August 2010, 08:34 AM
Why do you want to get rid of the 3 iron? Serious question. If you play MP67 you are either a good ball striker or a wanker. Maybe for you a 3 iron is a better solution than a hybrid.

What fairway woods do you carry?

Webster
18th August 2010, 08:45 AM
You should get a Fli Hi 18 degree with a strong shaft, perhaps a V2 in stiff...if you can find one...

3oneday
18th August 2010, 09:13 AM
MP52 3 iron ? Nice wide sole, very easy to hit and hit higher.

Outcast
18th August 2010, 01:32 PM
Why do you want to get rid of the 3 iron? Serious question. If you play MP67 you are either a good ball striker or a wanker. Maybe for you a 3 iron is a better solution than a hybrid.

What fairway woods do you carry?

Could just be a wanker :-) My ball striking is fine, I've been averaging around 71% fairways and 50 - 65% greens in the past 6 months. My chipping is so-so (ie: sometimes brilliant, sometimes crap) and my putting just sucks.

I've been toying with the hybrid idea mainly to get a softer landing on par 5's when going for it or on a couple of long par 3's. Also I do hit the occasional fizzer with a 3 iron so figured the hybrid might just be a tad more forgiving.

I play a 906F4 15.5* 3 wood; nothing else.... carry PW, 52, 56 & 60 instead; bit of a gap between 3i & 3W but, usually don't find that a problem.

markTHEblake
18th August 2010, 06:12 PM
I have got a Honma driving iron that might suit, in both 15 and 18 degrees. nice looking clubs

Outcast
19th August 2010, 11:25 PM
I have got a Honma driving iron that might suit, in both 15 and 18 degrees. nice looking clubs

Thanks Mark,

decided to give Canucks I15 a go... Will see how it works out... I can always offload it on here if it doesn't work out the way I hope.