PDA

View Full Version : Flavzz Swing

Flavzz
15th August 2010, 12:32 AM
Hey all, took some footage of my 7 Iron, Driver and 3 wood over the past week and have been analysing it myself which has helped me point out some obvious flaws which I can work on but thought I'd get some expert opinions on what I'm doing wrong so I can compare it to what I think. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/flavzz/Golf%20Videos/

David Williams
15th August 2010, 07:33 AM
Swing looks fine Flavzz...

If anything I would work on your setup a little. In the face on view it looks like your head is not in the middle of your stance but a little forward (white line). Your spine angle at address looks like its leaning toward the target (blue line). At the very least you want it vertical or even leaning away slightly.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae163/Willowgolf/Student%20Swings/Flavzz-Face-On-Setup-Before.jpg

The one thing that I would definitely work on is not your technique at all... But your pre-shot routine. You are fidgeting quite a lot... It looks like you're either thinking too much over the ball or not comfortable. When you practice, work on a preshot routine that allows you to walk in, set up and pull the trigger.

razaar
15th August 2010, 07:50 AM
What did the ball do on each of your shots. That should tell you what is happening at impact.
Carl Peterson's swing looks to cross the line from the outside yet he moves it either way. If you can control the clubface through the ball position then you will be really able to play this game. Most right handers who play right-handed feel where the clubface is pointing through the palm of their right hand. Lefthanders who play right-handed feel clubface alignment through the back of their left hand ( ala Ben Hogan). All good teachers will have us work on clubface alignment first then swing path. Knowing the cause & effect of ball flight is a must in working on your swing.

Flavzz
15th August 2010, 08:29 AM
Swing looks fine Flavzz...

If anything I would work on your setup a little. In the face on view it looks like your head is not in the middle of your stance but a little forward (white line). Your spine angle at address looks like its leaning toward the target (blue line). At the very least you want it vertical or even leaning away slightly.

The one thing that I would definitely work on is not your technique at all... But your pre-shot routine. You are fidgeting quite a lot... It looks like you're either thinking too much over the ball or not comfortable. When you practice, work on a preshot routine that allows you to walk in, set up and pull the trigger.

Thanks DW, you are spot on about my setup and posture. Its definately something my coach has me working on. Trying to get that spine angle at least in the middle or slightly behind the ball especially on the driver. I definately creep forward of that line especially if im feeling nervous I think..

My pre shot routine is a shamble like u say, I think way too much over the ball and would really benefit from a quicker and more confident process. Any tips on developing a good routine?

What did the ball do on each of your shots. That should tell you what is happening at impact.
Carl Peterson's swing looks to cross the line from the outside yet he moves it either way. If you can control the clubface through the ball position then you will be really able to play this game. Most right handers who play right-handed feel where the clubface is pointing through the palm of their right hand. Lefthanders who play right-handed feel clubface alignment through the back of their left hand ( ala Ben Hogan). All good teachers will have us work on clubface alignment first then swing path. Knowing the cause & effect of ball flight is a must in working on your swing.

Raz the 3 wood was a good straight ball, driver was a nice straight ball with a slight draw and 7 iron was a little heelish but still straight.. I am getting better at self diagnosing each shot I hit so I understand what your saying about cause and effect but I still have much to learn.. What do you mean about crossing the line from outside? Swing path before impact?

David Williams
15th August 2010, 08:48 AM
Developing a good preshot routine happens on the practice fairway. It's what you should be practicing on the range all the time. It should instill confidence and a clear thought on your objective for each shot on the course.

Try this: Once you have made the decisions relating to what club and how to play the shot at hand then your preshot routine begins. If you need a practice swing then do it before you start your preshot routine.

1. Stand behind the ball and focus on your target.
2. Pick something a couple of feet in front of your ball that is on your target line. (Intermediate target)
3. Walk in and hold the club in your right hand and place the club behind the ball lining it up to your intermediate target.
4. Stare at the target and continue your setup while looking at the target. (place left hand on the club and take your grip then take your stance all while looking at the target.)
5. Glance down at the ball and clubface to confirm your clubface is square to your intermediate target.
6. Stare at the target once more to confirm you are focusing on your target.
7. Look at the ball and pull the trigger.

I know this is 7 points but as you practice it on the range it will take no longer than 10 seconds from when you start your routine to watching the ball flying toward your target.

If at any stage you are thinking too much during your set up routine stop and start over. If your mind is still getting in the way of you being able to comfortably walk in and make a swing then I teach my students to use a clear key.

I get them to sing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" in their head when they are doing their preshot routine. It can be anything really as long as you sing it constantly until the finish of your swing. This will give your mind something to do so you can free up and just do the swing without the mind barking instructions at you constantly.

It takes some practice but in the end... work on your technique on the range for the first half of your session then your on course routine for the second half.

It comes back to preparation for the shot then see ball, see hole, hit ball in hole. NOT... "101 Easy steps to swing a golf club" that you try and teach yourself for every shot you play.

Hope this helps a little...

Good Luck
WILLOW

razaar
15th August 2010, 08:56 AM
On video, Peterson's through-swing looks to be above his backswing plane, which gives the impression that he is swinging from outside to in. If he was to post his swing on here, there would be quite a few of us commenting about an over the top action.:)

Flavzz
15th August 2010, 09:07 AM
Cheers DW for that, I'll definately be working that into my practice time.. I guess its all about getting a routine thats efficient and works for me based on the above steps you mentioned.

One thing my coach also noticed in my swing is that I take it back shut and inside. This gets worse with my bad swings and develop a bit of a hook or I try to save it and block it right on occasions. I have been working on my takeaway lots at home and also working with the Swingyde which also confirms the shut inside theory. I find that when my takeaway is on plane I really hit the ball well and vice versa. So I think if I work on that as well as posture(spine angle) and preshot routine I should find some more improvement in my ballstriking.

Any other suggestions are very welcome, cheers