PDA

View Full Version : Medicus Power Meter

chappy1970
13th August 2010, 11:40 AM
So I just received my Medicus power meter, shipped from the states in under 3 days (that's great service) and $50 AUD less than buying it here (including shipping).

http://www.medicus.com/medpower.php

Any of the Vic Ozgolfers ever wonder what their swing speed is?

Is there any interest in a group get together at a driving range (Albert Park, MGA, Sandy) one night and we can put the little sucker through it's paces. It's good for both woods and irons, so hopefully we can get some interest.

if there is interest, I'll post something. Would also be good to meet some of the VIC guys and girls who perhaps struggle get out for a round on the weekends.

Let me kow the interest
Chappy

oncewasagolfer
14th August 2010, 01:43 PM
never heard of it before looks interesting though is a pity that I live so far away or I would definitely be up for a meet up.

IanO
17th August 2010, 10:12 AM
I am in for a go :mrgreen:

IanO
17th August 2010, 10:14 AM
Also interested in meeting fellow Melbourne OzGolfers for a round of golf every now and then

Daves
28th August 2011, 11:27 AM
Bump. No Kool aid posts, so do we assume the Power Meter proved to be somewhat Meh?

sms316
28th August 2011, 04:57 PM
I think David Williams is your man.

chappy1970
28th August 2011, 07:18 PM
Actually used it last weekend, had the driver measure at about 107

braddles
28th August 2011, 08:02 PM
I bought a Zelocity Radar and tried it this week.

http://www.zelocity.com/golf/purecontact.shtml

It doesn't measure swing speed, but it does measure ball speed. I was averaging about 165mph with the driver, with a top speed of 167mph. I guess this means a swing speed of around 110mph?

It is a great device for trying drivers on the range. It also works for irons and gives a reading for carry distance. It seems to be within 3-5m for normal trajectory shots - I did some testing with my rangefinder.

Daves
28th August 2011, 08:42 PM

It doesn't measure swing speed, but it does measure ball speed. I was averaging about 165mph with the driver, with a top speed of 167mph. I guess this means a swing speed of around 110mph?

It is a great device for trying drivers on the range. It also works for irons and gives a reading for carry distance. It seems to be within 3-5m for normal trajectory shots - I did some testing with my rangefinder.

Thanks braddles, I actually have a Pure Contact myself and it is great as you say. I thought a Power Meter might be complimentary.

Daves
28th August 2011, 08:43 PM
Actually used it last weekend, had the driver measure at about 107

So Chappy you are happy with it and it seems accurate?

IanO
29th August 2011, 01:55 PM
I also have the Zelocity Radar .. would be good to compare it to something else

BrisVegas
29th August 2011, 02:09 PM

Hey Brad, I reckon (having played with you) that your swingspeed is closer to 115mph. 1.5 smash factor is nigh on impossible, so to get a 165 ball speed, your clubhead is almost certainly going at higher than 110.

I get around 160mph ball speed when measured at 110mph clubhead speed and that's with pretty good launch/spin numbers.

chappy1970
29th August 2011, 04:06 PM
So Chappy you are happy with it and it seems accurate?

Seems to do what it says on the box Daves, easy to adjust to any club length and height of player.

The 5 iron was around the 90-95 mark too

IanO happy to meet up at a convenient driving range to compare the Medicus and Velocity radars

reg
31st August 2011, 10:49 AM
How much is the Purecontact?

braddles
31st August 2011, 12:20 PM
How much is the Purecontact?

Around $200.

Puji
31st August 2011, 01:02 PM
I would be keen to try one of these bad boys out.

last time i got measured Driver SS was 105mph and 5 Iron was 84mph.

Be interesting to see if that ahs changed.

chappy1970
31st August 2011, 01:45 PM
Puji we can catchup one night at a driving range and you can have a try of the Medicus if you like

IanO
31st August 2011, 01:55 PM
If you are going to catch up please keep me in the loop and I will try to join you

markTHEblake
31st August 2011, 06:00 PM
last time i got measured Driver SS was 105mph and 5 Iron was 84mph.

you would want to get that checked out, cos I think the distance between the two is too large, by almost 10mph

rubin
31st August 2011, 06:25 PM
you would want to get that checked out, cos I think the distance between the two is too large, by almost 10mph

U seem to be the man in the kinow with regards to the numbers blakey - what would the normal amount be on average. All the yank-wank sights say 80 - 85% of Driver. Just out of curiosity

braddles
31st August 2011, 06:37 PM
This is a cool video with Elk testing a few pros with the PureContact:

http://secretinthedirt.com/index.php/video-vault/viewvideo/1256/equipment/qradar-hot-seatq-episode-322

You need to be a member to see the video. There is also another video with Elk testing drivers with one of his mates.

Puji
1st September 2011, 01:28 AM
Unfortunately this is something I am all too aware of. for some reason I am just very conservative with my irons.

I can out-drive most, but put a 7_iron in my hand and I can't hit it any farther than 135m. My Pitching wedge will go 105m max. I think this is a combination of slow SS and casting.

i have tried speeding up my swing but with terrible consistency results.

I play stiff shafts in woods and I am in the process of moving down to regulars in the irons...

chappy: a driving range session would be great.

P.S: can't wait to get my hands on them MP53s!!!

Scifisicko
1st September 2011, 09:50 AM
Chappy im up for it. I know my SS so it will be interesting to see what it says, you can also bash the Nunchuk (i know you want to). What about Tuesday night next week @ MGA? Hopefully ill have a shotmaker in a whiteboard/fubuki by then as well (?) Rubin im 82% so im guessing you and the yank wanks are right.

Peppas
15th July 2012, 09:05 PM
So anyone have any thoughts on how accurate this thing is?

BayBum
16th July 2012, 10:02 PM
Is there a portable gadget that measures all of the factors ? SS,Ball speed,smash factor,ball carry etc.

Peppas
16th July 2012, 10:03 PM
Is there a portable gadget that measures all of the factors ? SS,Ball speed,smash factor,ball carry etc.

Could use the medicus power meter with the zelocity? :)

Daves
17th July 2012, 07:46 AM

There is, but it costs $7/8k+

http://www.flightscope.com/

A Trackman will set you back twice that amount.