PDA

View Full Version : ProIQ golf?

davepuppies
10th August 2010, 08:25 PM
Has anyone used this system?

basically it is a scientific method of building positive thoughts into your game.

When i step over a putt, i currently tell myself "dont hit it too hard, dont leave it short"

when i have a tee shot with trouble on the left i tell myself "dont hook it"

I invariably do what i dont want to do as thats what i focus on.

I putt best when i am confident it is going in the hole....

I just ordered the 6 week program, as it also has a focus on mental relaxation/clarity and sounds like what i am looking for in my life in general.

The cost of the 6 week program is about $300, and i spend more than that most months on equipment looking for the magical answer to a better game.

Most will probably laugh, but i like the concept and will report back once finished.

My Handicap is 13.8 presently, so i will report once done

AndyP
10th August 2010, 08:31 PM
Interesting, although I think a Dr. Bob Rotella book might do just as much.

davepuppies
10th August 2010, 08:37 PM
Ordered one of those too.... in fact i ordered it last week....

I think the proIQ program will be helpfull with other areas of my life - business, relationship etc.....

I played pennants last sunday and was amazed at the negative thoughts in my head....

rodders
10th August 2010, 08:43 PM
Yep. Got it.

Honestly, did it for three weeks and never went back to it. Think it was six week course.

Cant say any real change to my game but I never completed the course.

I wont knock it though because I gave up on it. Maybe will go back..... just need to fight the urge to kill work mates down at the postal service.

Got mine for $179 though with free doz optima balls, golfer pacific mag subscription and some enforcer? programme.

LarryLong
10th August 2010, 08:54 PM
Will be interested in seeing how this goes for you - like the fact that you're using your handicap to measure it.

If it makes you more positive and less grumpy I could nominate a few OzGolfers for first dibs. :)

Steve57
11th August 2010, 07:18 AM
I was given it for my birthday in May.
Did the program religiously for six weeks and got absolutely nothing out of it.
Took it back to Drummonds (where my wife had bought it) told them and they gave me a full refund.
I agree with Andy, the Bob Rotella books / CD's are a far better investment.

davepuppies
11th August 2010, 08:54 AM
They offer a money back guarentee, so i will go in with a open mind, and if it doesnt help i will get my money back....

sol381
11th August 2010, 11:10 AM
These things work for some and may not work for others. If you get something out of it dave well thats excellent. Might i suggest tho changing your thinking. you said "don`t hit it too hard" " don`t hook it". still very negative thoughts. Don`t, won`t, can`t . keep away from that thinking. If you dont want to hook say im going to fade or ill hit it straight down the middle. If you cant get there with a 7 iron say i can get there with a 6. Any negative words used even if its to help you NOT hit a certain shot isnt helpful.

What i do with a mate of mine who is off about 20 is, ask him before most shots, what he wants to do. If he says im going to smash it down the middle or. im going to hit the fat part of green then hes in the right mindframe. It doesnt always work and when it doesnt he tells me he was worried of slicing the ball or hitting the water.

This might sound like some dr. phil shit but it works for me and works for him.

Veefore
11th August 2010, 11:17 AM
It sounds like you have developed some really bad habits on the golf course and anything you do to try to change that is a good thing. Whether this program works on its own or not doesn't matter because it is a stepping stone to better habits.

Imagine driving down the road looking at all the cars in the side streets and expecting them to pull out or that bump you drive over to break something on your car and cost you a fortune.

We would never let ourselves get that fearful on the road or we just wouldn't be able to function and yet I think a lot of us do get that fearful on the golf course. To the point where all we see is danger.

I learnt a huge lesson the first time I played Royal Fremantle in an pennants match of all things. With no practice round and not being able to see the driving areas or most of the trouble from the tees in a lot of places I had no idea where to hit the ball. A friend who had played there before caddied for me and on every tee he told me "hit it there" and he would point at a tree in the distance or some other kind of landmark. He never mentioned trouble or where not to hit it. Just where to hit it.

That day was the best I had ever driven a golf ball. Simply because I only saw where TO hit it, not where NOT to hit it. In the end I was two over, playing off a nine handicap when the match ended.

So good luck with the program, DP. Hopefully it not only helps you to play better but to enjoy playing more.

Hawkers2008
11th August 2010, 01:27 PM
I reckon its okay. You can get for $170 odd. Considering the losses that a lot of us take (or have taken) swapping in and out various items of kit its potnetially a better use of funds than a most of our other golf purchases.

The program work has a couple of bits to it

* use of Eriksonian hypnosis to program your brain with positive thoughts
* gives you some on course techniques to focus on the right things / avoid focussing on the wrong things

davepuppies
11th August 2010, 05:35 PM
I did session 1 last night, and played in my clubs stableford comp today

Playing off 14, i shot 1 over scratch for 49 points.

I purely focused on the shot i wanted.

Handicap now at 12.5

AndyP
11th August 2010, 05:37 PM
Really? Well done.

I think the advice in this thread should take the credit though, not ProIQ. ;)

davepuppies
11th August 2010, 06:07 PM
I think today came as a result of me identifying i need to be more positive.

Session 1of ProIQ has nothing more than e explanation of what the program entails. The CDs will arrive next week.

I merely focused on what i wanted - thats it.

I have just started Bob Rotella "Putting out of your mind" tonight.

I want to be in better mental shape for this sundays pennants than i was last sunday.

ParMaster
11th August 2010, 06:19 PM
I did session 1 last night, and played in my clubs stableford comp today

Playing off 14, i shot 1 over scratch for 49 points.

I purely focused on the shot i wanted.

Handicap now at 12.5

I think you need to realise the potential you have. 1 over is a fantastic score, off 14, 49 points is unheard of!

Positive thoughts = positive results.
Negative thought = negative results.

It's that simple.

ParMaster
11th August 2010, 06:19 PM
BTW what does the program do? What happens..

davepuppies
11th August 2010, 06:48 PM
I will report on it as it arrives.

I know i have the ability inside me somewhere, as i was a 2 marker in the late 90s....

sms316
11th August 2010, 07:29 PM
What happens..

Shit

markTHEblake
11th August 2010, 07:33 PM
. Simply because I only saw where TO hit it, not where NOT to hit it. In the end I was two over, playing off a nine handicap when the match ended.

I recall something similar, was either a caddie or a foursomes partner, when reaching where my ball ended up, I see water nearby, and it goes like;
"why didnt you tell me that was there?"
"i didnt think you would hit it there!"

made perfect sense.

davepuppies
13th August 2010, 09:14 PM
Just did my first audio session. Goes for 30 mins.

Beginning was about deep breathing and relaxation, and visualising the first tee etc...... dont really remember the rest, could hear the guy talking but have no recolection of what he was saying, next thing i know he is saying your session 1 has finished.

checked the website and they say it is not uncommon for a newe listener to go into such a deep state of relaxation they move from a alpha to a theta state (got no idea what this means) however as i could still hear him means i was technically awake - maybe just meditating?

The website says the subconscious is still taking in the messages - however i just felt like i was asleep?

Most are probably laughing right now, however i promised a accurate assesment!

Yossarian
13th August 2010, 09:46 PM
The brain is a weird thing. Anything is possible.

Lucasto23
13th August 2010, 09:56 PM
i have gotten through weeks 1,2 and 3. it helped me get from 16 to 12 and i just have not made the time to finish the program. Good luck and keep doing it dave

ParMaster
14th August 2010, 07:45 AM
Placebo?

davepuppies
14th August 2010, 09:17 AM
Could be pup, time will tell.

the brain is a strange thing, most that have seen me play tell me my swing is technically good enough for mid to high single figures, so my downfall is my brain getting in the way, so i am letting go and will give this 6 week course the full chance to work.

whilst i am sure my 67 off the stick on wednesday was pure chance that i was after the intro session, i am optimistic it will assist me into single figures over the next couple of months

KristianJ
14th August 2010, 06:49 PM
Just did my first audio session. Goes for 30 mins.

Beginning was about deep breathing and relaxation, and visualising the first tee etc...... dont really remember the rest, could hear the guy talking but have no recolection of what he was saying, next thing i know he is saying your session 1 has finished.

checked the website and they say it is not uncommon for a newe listener to go into such a deep state of relaxation they move from a alpha to a theta state (got no idea what this means) however as i could still hear him means i was technically awake - maybe just meditating?

The website says the subconscious is still taking in the messages - however i just felt like i was asleep?

Most are probably laughing right now, however i promised a accurate assesment!

I'm not laughing...I think it's easy enough to focus so much on something that all distractions are blocked out.

In fact, I was in a car with a few friends heading down the Blue Mountains this arvo, and one of them asked another (who was reading a text for her TAFE course, I think) a question. We waited about a minute and a half before one of us poked here to make sure she wasn't asleep, which she wasn't.

Plus I'm easily capable of seeming like I'm ignoring other things around me because my focus has set itself so "assuredly".