PDA

View Full Version : Is Els a Big Bully???

McMw
2nd May 2005, 11:10 PM
Ernie wins with an amazing 4rounds of golf in Beijing...totally unbelievable, considering it's a new course... :shock:

But I'm starting to wonder if he only plays this well when the "comp" is not as deep as what we've come to expect on the PGA tourneys...

Tim Petro won the NO tourney (thanks to another DiMarco meltdown :lol: ) in a field that's got some pretty decent names in it...

don't get me wrong..Els winning is always a good thing, and playing all over the world is an even better thing...but just got to wonder why his win % isn't that "good" on the PGA tour...

Kinda like a bully in the playground... :lol:

markTHEblake
3rd May 2005, 12:18 AM
but just got to wonder why his win % isn't that "good" on the PGA tour...

he hardly plays there doesnt he?

Jarro
3rd May 2005, 04:18 AM
but just got to wonder why his win % isn't that "good" on the PGA tour...

he hardly plays there doesnt he?

spot on.

I think he isn't a big fan of the PGA Tour administration ..... weren't they the guys that gave him a hard time and told him he had to play more in the USA :?

I think i know who the big bully is :x

Fishman Dan
3rd May 2005, 07:38 AM
He makes enough starts on the PGA Tour as required by the administration, but this year has just as many on the European Tour. There was some blowup earlier this year that the PGA were trying to prevent him from playing more Euro events by publicly announcing that he was soft, or something like that. It went to further steel his resolve to play more in Europe.

I don't think he's a bully Mau, but there's definately a more shallow pool of talent in the Euro Tour. There have been a couple of Euro events lately (co-sanctioned with Asian Tour) pulling big names. With a tournament in China, there's every bet they had enough appearance money to convince Els to make it.

3oneday
3rd May 2005, 08:10 AM
Really, this could be like saying Mickelsons 59 wasn't really a 59 :P :P because there were only 4 players.

You still gotta do the business, what about "Els, is he an ambassador for golf around the world ?"

Tall poppy syndrome at work again ??

Onewood
3rd May 2005, 08:28 AM
The PGA Tour administration should spend more time on Tiger playing more on the US tour :roll: Atleast Els is playing somewhere else when hes not playing in the US 8)

I think Tiger should stop practicing on the front nine at home and get out on a real course and play :D

markTHEblake
3rd May 2005, 09:19 AM
He makes enough starts on the PGA Tour as required by the administration,

i understood that he forced them to allow him to play less than the normal requirement, otherwise he wouldnt play at all. Sevvy did the same thing in the 80's

The yanks are not as dominant as they used to be, i had a look at the World Golf Rankings the other day, and it shows. They used to occupy well over 50% of the top 50, particularily from 10-50 and now they are not even close to that.

IMHO the soft option is playing in the states. Ordinary golfers (in context) can make a lot more money there than anywhere else.

Ernie is doing what we want to see Tiger do, and thats play everywhere. I am not sure if he gets appearance money or not, I woud like to beleive that its in Ernies sponsorship deals that he travels. Thats a good thing for golf.

Andrew
3rd May 2005, 02:38 PM
A bully is defined as someone who lowers your self esteem through intent. Well, everytime I see him swing a club I feel less of a golfer & less of a man. So on that count, he is a bully.

Seriously, the guys who play around the world will always come up against lesser field until more players play around the world & that will only happen if the Ernie Els of this world continue to do what they are doing.

Good on him.

mike
3rd May 2005, 08:55 PM
Jeez Mau you say some weird things at times. :roll:

This year , apart from winning the Qatar Masters and Desert Classic ( admittedly not USPGA strength fields ) he has played 6 times in the states, made every cut, and has had 3 top tens.

Last year out of 16 US events, he won 3 times, had 2 seconds and a third.

He is a great ambassador for the game of golf .

Tim Petro won the NO tourney (thanks to another DiMarco meltdown :lol: ) :

Why don't you like DiMarco ?

McMw
4th May 2005, 12:10 AM
hmmm.... :?

I like Els....I think he's the WORLD's No1 Player...AND a great ambassador to the game...

I'm just WONDERING why he doesn't WIN as much/easily on the PGA Tour...

Is it that hard to understand??? or did I not TYPE it out clearly enough in my first post??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

mike
4th May 2005, 03:29 PM
I understood your first post...at least I think I did. :?

Looking back at his last 5 or so years on the PGA tour is pretty impressive reading. Lots of wins. Tons of top 5's.

I don't quite get what you're on about , but let's just leave it at that.

BTW you didn't answer my question. :wink:

McMw
4th May 2005, 03:41 PM
DiMarco just bugs the heck out of me....I don't know why...he just does...

must be that oakley thing again!!! :lol:

mike
4th May 2005, 04:56 PM
DiMarco just bugs the heck out of me....I don't know why...he just does...

That's OK. I was just curious. I can't stand Bob Tway. Don't know why. Just don't like him.

must be that oakley thing again!!! :lol:

Why, because he wears them on the back of his head ?

McMw
4th May 2005, 04:59 PM
yup...but I did see him put in 3 times during the final round at Augusta...so at least now I can't say I've never seen him wear it...

J. Leonard used to bug me too with the oakley thing...but he seems to be wearing it more often this year...he still bugs the crap out of me tho... :lol:

maybe I'm just weird... :roll:

terryand
4th May 2005, 05:45 PM
leonard lost me with the "moment please" comment after he won the British Open.

Terry.

markTHEblake
4th May 2005, 06:57 PM
I'm just WONDERING why he doesn't WIN as much/easily on the PGA Tour...

I understood but imho he does win there.