PDA

View Full Version : UST Axiv or V2 in REG

Flavzz
6th August 2010, 01:27 PM
Anyone got any experience in the above UST shafts in regular spec?

My s/s is on average 100-105mph, I have tried axiv shafts in stiff and they are like a board for me for whatever reason, although my s/s says its within the range for that shaft, so I'm thinking of moving into a regular UST for my MP600...

I guess im thinking of getting a reg shaft which is just a bit firmer than normal.. any thoughts would be good..

Captain Nemo
6th August 2010, 02:37 PM
I like them both in Stiff!

Flavzz
6th August 2010, 02:43 PM
that helps ;) whats your s/s titleist?

Chris32
6th August 2010, 03:21 PM
All the V2's I have ever hit where pretty soft for a stiff flex if thats any help. The 67gram V2 in my old Hi-Bore was a excellent shaft, the 76gram in my old 905 was a bit heavy

Captain Nemo
6th August 2010, 03:41 PM
that helps ;) whats your s/s titleist?

NFI?
I have a red 79s in both my driver and 4 wood.

Flavzz
6th August 2010, 04:12 PM
I havent hit the stiff Axiv since my swing had a big improvement after a lesson from my new coach tho so maybe its worth trying a demo with an s flex in it..

virge666
6th August 2010, 06:15 PM
I havent hit the stiff Axiv since my swing had a big improvement after a lesson from my new coach tho so maybe its worth trying a demo with an s flex in it..

The AXIV is a strong shaft. Black and Red especially. V2 is also a strong shaft...

You can try AXIV blue which is a softer tip, or V2 High Launch and V2 MOI which is also softer tip.

If you go for a REG version - try thte AXIV Tour Black, you should get a higher launch without the ball spinning it's tits off.

lastly, which ball were you playing the stiff AXIVs in.... the ball will make a MAJOR difference with height nowadays.

Flavzz
6th August 2010, 08:22 PM
I only demo'd a Ping 9* i15 with srixon range balls virge so it's prob a bad test altogether. May have been a black axiv in it too I think.

oz
7th August 2010, 07:59 AM
I recently put a Graf Blue Reg in my driver - after playing a variety of different stiff shafts, including the V2. I have a similar 100-105 SS and a fairly smooth tempo. I have lost nothing by going to a reg shaft. I think if you pick a shaft that is stable enough, a reg is fine. I could imagine playing a V2, Pro Launch Red, Fuji E360 etc., all in reg flex, at my SS.

Flavzz
7th August 2010, 09:11 AM
That's what I'm thinking Oz. Sometimes i just want to keep a smooth swing and with the stiffer shaft it doesn't really help as u need to generate that higher ss. I'm thinking like virge said an Axiv Black or a V2 in reg sounds real good. Now just to source one... Anyone? Virge?

markTHEblake
7th August 2010, 09:59 AM
I guess im thinking of getting a reg shaft which is just a bit firmer than normal.. any thoughts would be good..
I hear you, i use stiff shafts, but i cant cope with stiff in my fairway woods.

my club maker has this massive database, we pulled the figures off my driver and hybrid that i both like, and looked for a matching FW shaft. He came up with a handful, some were R some were S, its just a matter of fact how they each measure up as the manufacturers dont follow standards.
(mind you i went and bought something else)

One he recommended was a Graf Red, in Reg as he said that plays a bit stiffer than R

Flavzz
7th August 2010, 01:35 PM
That's not Gary Tozer by any chance Blakey?

Seems im the opposite of u tho. Im playing a stiff prolaunch blue in my 3 wood and absolutely love it but have found playing the driver in stiff is causing my problems...

Maybe I should try some more stable Reg shafts in my mizzie as a trial. My mate has a reg YS6+ in his 907d1 which seems pretty good... I would jump straight to the Axiv but I want to be sure before shelling out that much coin..

dave1
7th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Im considering 3 or 4 options too...currentyly using Cobra s9-1 with stiff NVS HL shaft.....high kick point

goes ok....even though its lite shaft

Im considering 3 reg options
UST axivcore blue 65 grams in reg
Vs proto 65 grams in reg
V2 tour shaft 69 grams

all low tourqe shafts that meduim ball flights as I play in the wind....I have played the standard V2 and like that so the tour model is just lower flight eyet tourqe is slightly higher in tour model as opposed to standard v2

my swing speed deamnds reg (95-97)..Im injured at the moment and with my injury my swing speed will slow up even more when I come back (prolapsed disc in my neck) ..out for atleast 6 weeks to months depending on wether I need surgery...plus Im 40 so im not suddenly going to get quicker

all 3 I can get for about $95-$100 on ebay...decisions decisons......

markTHEblake
7th August 2010, 11:51 PM
That's not Gary Tozer by any chance Blakey?

correctamundo

Seems im the opposite of u tho. Im playing a stiff prolaunch blue in my 3 wood and absolutely love it but have found playing the driver in stiff is causing my problems...

Gaz said it makes sense for me to be OK with the stiffer driver, as I go a bit harder with the driver. I expect that you dont have to be Einstein to realise that though, much harder to miss the ball with a driver.

Flavzz
10th August 2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah fair enough Blakey. Would love to get up there and fit my driver with Gary. Sounds like he has a wealth of knowledge. Have u tried those bamboo shafts he stocks now and raves about?