PDA

View Full Version : What defines you as a golfer?

BrisVegas
5th August 2010, 03:37 PM
What is it about you or your game that makes you, you? It could be a positive thing or a negative thing.

For the past few years, I've hit more than my fair share of fairway wood approach shots that have come off beautifully. So, I guess, the high fading fairway wood that lands soft would be my "best" shot. 8-)

On the flipside, i've been woeful on 100-120m shots for years now. :oops:

timah!
5th August 2010, 03:49 PM
Years ago I would have said my chipping without hesitation.

We'll see if that holds true now i've started playing again.

macjackass
5th August 2010, 03:52 PM
A normal, reasonably fluid practice swing followed by a short fast one when the ball is there.

kingslayer33
5th August 2010, 04:06 PM
... how much hoing I've done.

so not yet very good but getting better by the month.

Tongueboy
5th August 2010, 04:06 PM
loft

LeftyHoges
5th August 2010, 04:18 PM
Wow, interesting question...

I guess what makes me, me, as a golfer is the fact that I don't hit a lot of greens, don't hit a lot of fairways, don't make a lot of birdies, can only putt on quick greens, and generally have a pretty quick temper and still somehow manage to average shooting mid 70's. If I look up and down my game there is not one thing that I do WELL. I do everything average to OK but certainly not WELL.

Thanks for letting that depressing thought enter my head BV!

Yossarian
5th August 2010, 04:21 PM
My ability to pull the women with my long game.

timah!
5th August 2010, 04:26 PM
A normal, reasonably fluid practice swing followed by a short fast one when the ball is there.

Something tells me you're not alone with that trait!

Moe Norman
5th August 2010, 04:31 PM
My exquisite iron play

Yossarian
5th August 2010, 04:33 PM
That and my mickelson-esque short game.

probably my work off the tee though, it is about 5 or 6 shots better than the handicap in a way.

sms316
5th August 2010, 04:35 PM
L.O.F.T.

macjackass
5th August 2010, 04:36 PM
That and my mickelson-esque short game.

probably my work off the tee though, it is about 5 or 6 shots better than the handicap in a way.

Your great off the tee and around the green, what's your handicap?

Yossarian
5th August 2010, 04:37 PM

sms316
5th August 2010, 04:39 PM

Slope system bit you hard eh?

Yossarian
5th August 2010, 04:40 PM
Whats a slope system?

sms316
5th August 2010, 04:41 PM
Chinese government.

Ferrins
5th August 2010, 04:42 PM
A constitutional tendency to gloominess or depression.

macjackass
5th August 2010, 04:43 PM
Chinese government.\

:lol:

AndyP
5th August 2010, 05:43 PM
My super slow pace of play.

henno
5th August 2010, 05:46 PM
A flat swing and a custard head.

David Williams
5th August 2010, 06:19 PM
My shoes

haysey
5th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Hitting a flat scungy slice that never makes it more than 10 foot off the ground, but still makes it onto the green.

Dotty
5th August 2010, 06:56 PM
Being able to knock off work early on each Tuesday, to reserve the best timeslots for the following Wednesday.

senecio
5th August 2010, 06:58 PM
Missing 3 foot putts. No one does it quite like I do.

Courty
5th August 2010, 07:01 PM
Hitting a flat scungy slice that never makes it more than 10 foot off the ground, but still makes it onto the green and infuriate the hell out of my playing partners.

:roll:

For me it's probably my scrambling ability, because everyone knows my handicap is lower than it should be considering how many fairways & greens I hit. :oops:

McMw
5th August 2010, 07:03 PM
ugly golf game, but somehow can manage to get the score...

Bruce
5th August 2010, 07:41 PM
Displaying unmet potential.

just
5th August 2010, 07:44 PM
My socks.

Grunt
5th August 2010, 07:49 PM
The ability to be consistently inconsistent!

Moe Norman
5th August 2010, 07:52 PM
Missing 3 foot putts. No one does it quite like I do.

Is that a challenge?

senecio
5th August 2010, 08:00 PM
Is that a challenge?

It could be!

How often do you miss the 4 footer coming back?

razaar
5th August 2010, 08:32 PM
Relearning the game with a different body.;)

Courty
5th August 2010, 08:33 PM
Relearning the game with a different body.;)

Has your brain been transplanted?

Raybot... the Bionic Man!

LarryLong
5th August 2010, 08:35 PM
The phrase "If you keep hitting it like that you won't be off 20 for long"

Usually uttered before the first of many green-side debacles for the day.

razaar
5th August 2010, 08:43 PM
Has your brain been transplanted?

Raybot... the Bionic Man!

What is the cost of a bionic hip and knee?
Still waitng for groundhog day to change.

WBennett
5th August 2010, 08:44 PM
My tan line. I wear shorts playing golf no matter what the temperature is. I also shave my ankles halfway up my calves in preparation for the weekly taping at footy...
I then wear anklets all summer, and it looks like I wear anklets, skin coloured socks, then stupidly hairy legs until the regrowth catches up.

Yossarian
5th August 2010, 08:45 PM
Arousing benno!

Nuffie
5th August 2010, 08:53 PM
Definitely wouldn't say that my putting defines me, nor the distance that I hit it off the tee.

However, I do see myself as a similarity to "Lleyton Hewitt" the tennis player, but like a "street fighting" golfing version of him.

To be considered the "underdog" and someone that no one ever thinks can win the match or post a winning score from the get go, but whose gutts, determination and persistence to the end -most often than not, evolves to make the impossible suddenly seem probable! It's what one lives for....

A famous quote by Mr. R. Rotella: "Golf is more about what you achieve with what you have, rather than what you have from what you've achieved". Marvellous words that I live by...

hyrola
6th August 2010, 10:59 AM
the constant want to smash my clubs over my head after a failed risk shot.

Johnny Canuck
6th August 2010, 11:15 AM
Definitely wouldn't say that my putting defines me, nor the distance that I hit it off the tee.

However, I do see myself as a similarity to "Lleyton Hewitt" the tennis player, but like a "street fighting" golfing version of him.

To be considered the "underdog" and someone that no one ever thinks can win the match or post a winning score from the get go, but whose gutts, determination and persistence to the end -most often than not, evolves to make the impossible suddenly seem probable! It's what one lives for....

A famous quote by Mr. R. Rotella: "Golf is more about what you achieve with what you have, rather than what you have from what you've achieved". Marvellous words that I live by...

WTF are you talking about?

A street fighting version of Llyton Hewitt? Christ. Bring me a little baggie of your finest on Sunday.

In a way, I think your post definitely answer the question that was asked, just not in the manner you had planned!

WBennett
6th August 2010, 11:53 AM
Arousing benno!

I'll send photos for you Yoss

Lucasto23
6th August 2010, 12:01 PM
belief in my ability and stupid, stupid short game/ all game options all the time :(

solarman
6th August 2010, 12:01 PM
Realising that my stuffed back will probably never allow me to be a good golfer, so I make up for it in sledging to get me thru a round.

So #$%@*&)??:"%$^&!$%&# you fat #$^%#@$%s.

Yossarian
6th August 2010, 12:10 PM
I'll send photos for you Yoss

Please! ;)

Courty
6th August 2010, 12:29 PM

Is that the best you've got? :p

Dcanto
6th August 2010, 12:42 PM
Realising that my stuffed back will probably never allow me to be a good golfer, so I make up for it in sledging to get me thru a round.

Hey! I am not fat - I've just got big bones.

Iain
6th August 2010, 12:49 PM
Flat inconsistent swing....

Tomson
6th August 2010, 12:55 PM
The ability not to break a club defines a good round.

haysey
6th August 2010, 01:11 PM
The ability not to break a club defines a good round.

That good today huh?

kpac
6th August 2010, 02:02 PM
my ability to hit each shot type quite well - then extremely poorly.
I recall an ozgolf game not that long ago the started with. "Last time we played you were flushing it"; followed by a double-duckhook off the stump, hosel rocket out of the mud, pw 30m too far, and triple squirt with the flat bat. It was a stroke round, and i didn't score too bad...

Tomson
6th August 2010, 02:13 PM
That good today huh?

Courty and I had the exprience to play with the slowest group in golf.

Dcanto
6th August 2010, 02:20 PM
Courty and I had the exprience to play with the slowest group in golf.

The City of Cairns always seems to attract slow golfers. Were they CGC members or from another club?
Are you & Courty paired with them again tomorrow?

Courty
6th August 2010, 02:23 PM
One of them is a Cairns member, the other I'm not sure. We've got different groupings all 3 days. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

ParMaster
6th August 2010, 06:38 PM
My attitude on the golf course and my recovery shots are what 'define' me I reckon.

markTHEblake
6th August 2010, 06:44 PM
I recall an ozgolf game not that long ago the started with. "Last time we played you were flushing it"

Note to self: remember this if playing Kpac for matchplay/money

Pieface
6th August 2010, 07:14 PM

A picture paints a thousand words :cry:

Ned
6th August 2010, 08:18 PM
Casual!

Toolish
6th August 2010, 09:54 PM
Used to be my driving when I was young, then in the last few years my mid iron play was pretty bloody good...now the thing that defines me is that no one believes a 5 handicap golfer can hit the 2 or 3 absolute shocking shots I hit per round (usually a topped drive or FW wood).

Eag's
7th August 2010, 07:35 AM
My brilliant bunker play & my ability to stay calm no matter what.

Peter
7th August 2010, 12:56 PM
After today, the shanks.

:?

dave1
8th August 2010, 01:19 PM
as a golfer......my ability to play in any weather...I play albany wa and I have played in storms, hail you name it...never have I NR or pulled out....never

also the ability to destroy a hole from any position :mrgreen:

henno
8th August 2010, 01:37 PM
My brilliant bunker play & my ability to stay calm no matter what.

That made me giggle. :lol:

PeteyD
8th August 2010, 02:16 PM
Good one eagsy!

adlo
8th August 2010, 06:29 PM
WTF are you talking about?

A street fighting version of Llyton Hewitt? Christ. Bring me a little baggie of your finest on Sunday.

In a way, I think your post definitely answer the question that was asked, just not in the manner you had planned!
You summed up my thoughts beautifully. That is vintage Nuffie.

hocko
8th August 2010, 07:59 PM
What is it about you or your game that makes you, you? It could be a positive thing or a negative thing.

For the past few years, I've hit more than my fair share of fairway wood approach shots that have come off beautifully. So, I guess, the high fading fairway wood that lands soft would be my "best" shot. 8-)

On the flipside, i've been woeful on 100-120m shots for years now. :oops:

About the only bloke who still hits a one iron off the tee on most holes.
Or, playing a 360 mt Par 4 thinking one iron seven iron, then screwing up the drive and having to hit a 235mt 3wood off the deck.

matty
9th August 2010, 08:35 AM
Two things-: Way, way, wayward drives.

Secondly, the ability to feel shock, anger, disbelief, and knowing the outcome wouldn't be any different in the same instant but still attempting time and again the Tiger Woods recovery from thick rough, with the ball buried, needing to hit a low flying cut under three meter high branches to a green 150 meters away, then having the ball not come out cleanly, clip branches and land in a worse position, when a chip out would have been more appropriate, then wondering why I continue to try it when it comes off once in 10 attempts..

Does that define me as a golfer or something worse?

BrisWesty
9th August 2010, 02:06 PM
Not getting cranky. Being glad to just get out on the course.

rhino62
12th August 2010, 07:31 PM
My golf clubs define me as a golfer the same as my lawn bowls define me as a bowler:-s

hyrola
13th August 2010, 04:09 PM
playing two days in a row before work, 6:30 tee time.

Telling work i had to start late due to personal reasons, and id just work back each day.

dave1
14th August 2010, 10:48 AM
postivity

no matter what the situation I always thinnk its ok I can get this out and back on track....I have always said one shot doesnt affect the next (only if you let it)....also one round should never affect the next also unless you let it)

right now Im injured..with prolapsed disc in my neck and cant play but it hasnt stopped me putting and chipping and having a soda with mates at the bar on fridays

BrisVegas
15th August 2010, 11:19 AM
my Titleist bag. :cool:

Fraser
15th August 2010, 03:43 PM
My ability to post the same scores regardless of weather cond's, my game at the time, cored greens etc etc.

Iain
16th August 2010, 12:35 PM
my Titleist bag. :cool:

Most of the time....

BrisVegas
16th August 2010, 03:06 PM
i selectively forget the other times....