PDA

View Full Version : High launch fairway wood shaft

Pinglauncher
3rd August 2010, 06:17 PM
I have a G15 5 wood which for me is launching like a 3 wood. Flex wise it feels like a stiff shaft but maybe it is just the way these shafts are for me as I had no luck with the driver shaft either.

I am working my way towards softer shafts and would like some ideas on a shaft with a softer tip that will give me the launch I need without me feeling like I have to swing harder than I am comfortable with.

A stable soft regular maybe.

freddy a
3rd August 2010, 07:46 PM
Try a graffaloy pro launch blue, aldila nvs or a prolite

adlo
3rd August 2010, 08:42 PM
Ust v2hl

Yossarian
3rd August 2010, 09:08 PM
I've got a aldila R flex speedline, out of an adams 3 wood, that launched very high for me. You can have it for very little if you like?

Golfnut
3rd August 2010, 10:27 PM
Ust v2hl

+1.....gets my TM Burner 3w going higher and couldn't get the thing off the ground with the stock shaft or a UST HMOI either.

TourFit
4th August 2010, 12:06 AM
Try a graffaloy pro launch blue, aldila nvs or a prolite

First two...YES!

Third option...NO!

Substitute the Graphite Design YS6+ in there...

Flavzz
6th August 2010, 01:52 PM
+1 for the ProLaunch Blue, best wood shaft I've used

3oneday
6th August 2010, 02:28 PM
Maybe go lighter rather than softer ?

virge666
6th August 2010, 05:59 PM
Maybe go lighter rather than softer ?

That is a great idea... and secondly, the shaft ain't going to do much in the way of launch angle, the head is more responsible for that kind of thing. You might get a degree either way with the shaft.

COG Location in the head or loft is what you want to change.

adlo
6th August 2010, 09:26 PM
That is a great idea... and secondly, the shaft ain't going to do much in the way of launch angle, the head is more responsible for that kind of thing. You might get a degree either way with the shaft.

COG Location in the head or loft is what you want to change.
Virge, from memory Ping has tried some of the highest launching FW woods on offer. Perhaps he is beating a dead horse?

henno
6th August 2010, 09:28 PM
Get a 7 wood with a 5-wood (or even 3-wood) shaft length. Why the fook not.

virge666
6th August 2010, 10:44 PM
Virge, from memory Ping has tried some of the highest launching FW woods on offer. Perhaps he is beating a dead horse?

Yep - Horse ain't moving. As you get older - you need shorter OR lighter depending on how you load the club.

Get a 7 wood with a 5-wood (or even 3-wood) shaft length. Why the fook not.

Or . . . A 4 Wood.

Pinglauncher
7th August 2010, 08:32 AM

I have had Burner and Tour Burner hit them high and long and of course sold them. A couple of 909's and an R9 amongst others and hit them high. Yes the launch has come down a little with age but I have never hit fairways as low as I am hitting the G15's.

markTHEblake
7th August 2010, 09:53 AM
A stable soft regular maybe.

The biggest problem is that there are so many shafts to choose from.

go to www.golfworks.com and use the "Shaft Finder (http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_496)" tool, that will quickly help you narrow down the list shafts that may suit you.
Factors three &Four in the tool, relate to Bend point, and tip firmness respectively.

PS, I dont think that the tip firmness helps with launch angle as much as the bend point does. You should be looking for shafts with a bend point higher than the one you have now.

TheNuclearOne
7th August 2010, 10:04 AM
PS, I dont think that the tip firmness helps with launch angle as much as the bend point does. You should be looking for shafts with a bend point higher than the one you have now.

Lower.

markTHEblake
7th August 2010, 10:09 AM
See, thats why i need the shaft finder myself!

TheNuclearOne
7th August 2010, 10:10 AM
See, thats why i need the shaft finder myself!

Hahaha, i've seen a lot of people get that little one mixed up. I think it's all in the opposites, lower (kickpoint) to go higher thing.