PDA

View Full Version : Motocaddy battery problems

TheTrueReview
2nd August 2010, 11:22 AM
I have the Motocaddy S1. The battery is about 2 years old. The manufacturers specs are that it's always good for 18 (and nudge, nudge, wink, wink, usually good for 36). I've noticed that it's running out of charge on the back 9 regularly so there's definitely a problem with it. I've done all the right things with it as far as charging it is concerned, so I'm not really happy that it's starting to play up.

I'm wondering what the most cost effective option is - (1) go to one of those 'battery repacker' places (dunno if they'd even touch a battery like this), (2) see if I can get it fixed by an authorised repairer (don't know if they touch batteries) (3) buy a new one (don't like that option b/c it might involve paying through the nose & I expected this one to last more than 2 years), (4) an option I hadn't thought of.

Anyone had a similar experience? Suggestions re the best option?

Veefore
2nd August 2010, 12:32 PM
Replacement is your only real option. If it is just a standard gell cell lead acid battery then there is no fix. Batteries are only expected to last about 2 years now anyway.

I have been using electric buggies for 11 years now and unfortunately the batteries just wear out. Mine is just over two years old and it is only just making about 20 holes now. When I first started using electric buggies I used Sonnenschein (sp?) batteries that were guaranteed for 400 rounds. Batteries made these days don't even come with a 100 round guarantee. Then again, 11 years ago my battery cost $240 and even with inflation the batteries around today are still only around $200~. To keep the prices that low they have really scrimped on the quality.

According to the Pro at my club one of the buggy distributors is looking at buying the better quality 400 round guaranteed batteries but expects the retail price to be somewhere north of $400. The reason he is stalling is that he doesn't expect many people to be interested in them when they can get a lower quality battery for half the price.

solarman
2nd August 2010, 12:56 PM
Realistically, a lot of batteries are made in only a few factories and re-badged.
Knowing a little about batteries, I don't care who tells you, 2 years is about it even with quality charging set ups.
Sonnenschein is a top quality battery and even they struggle in these smaller sizes.
I personally would not pay heaps for a top quality battery and it is probably most likely the same battery you get at Supercheap with a different casing.
Try PANASONIC if they make one around that size.

David Williams
2nd August 2010, 01:39 PM
What Veefore and Solarman is pretty much correct. 2 years is about standard for the life of a battery on a golf buggy.

Baudwalker
2nd August 2010, 02:07 PM
Like most of the replies ... REPLACE IT
Take some time to research these things on line as there is heaps of info
You will find the battery has a finite number of "cycles" and regardless of what you do to it (well almost) when the time is up the time is UP

Your challenge, should you decide to accept it, is to find one of a suitable size to fit the aperture provided by the cart maker
Many make it obvious you need to go back the them for a replacement
My battery system uses 2 x 12v in series to get 24v and I fitted 2 x 85Ah Gel Mat units @ $250 each as compared to the 'recommended' 45Ah GEL units @ $400 each
Works better .. will last about the same time and has more 'grunt' for less buck

The connectors can also be an issue with some carts .. the answer there is rouse the original and use some high capacity GENERIC connectors you find at any good auto elec
You probably need to change Cart, Battery AND charger if a change is necessary but the end result is usually still a big saving

and lastly ... WINTER is the Roadside Assist teams BEST time..lots of battery sales when the temperature drops

Best of Luck

Hawkers2008
2nd August 2010, 03:41 PM
I reckon a couple of years for a standard battery with moderate use. With heavy use its worth it to pay extra for the best batteries you can get but even then getting two years would be a good outcome. Think about this way if you play 100 times a year then if it last two years a $300 battery costs $1.50 a round. If it only lasts 18 months its still only $2.00 per round.

TheTrueReview
2nd August 2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys. F.W.I.W. I've had a look at Motocaddy's English website & there's an array of battery choices http://www.motocaddy.com/batteries/motocaddy-36-hole-battery-kit_2

Unfortunately, the Oz Motocaddy site doesn't list any battery choices. The search commences ....

Baudwalker
3rd August 2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys. F.W.I.W. I've had a look at Motocaddy's English website & there's an array of battery choices http://www.motocaddy.com/batteries/motocaddy-36-hole-battery-kit_2

Unfortunately, the Oz Motocaddy site doesn't list any battery choices. The search commences ....

On the Australian site under SUPPORT then FAQ it says ......

"If you are worried about the weight of the battery you will be lifting on and off your trolley our lightest battery is the lithium battery weighing only 2kgs. Our standard battery weighs 6.5kgs and our extended range battery weighs 10.5kgs. "

I have seen the larger item here in Tassie so it "should" be available on the BIG ISLAND .. after all we aren't THAT far in front of the rest of the world

Good Luck

Veefore
3rd August 2010, 12:47 PM
Work out what size you need and go to Batteries Plus or someone like that. I actually get mine from River Abilities here in WA. They supply disability equipment and gophers and have a range of batteries.