PDA

View Full Version : EPL 2010-2011 Seaon

LeftyHoges
2nd August 2010, 10:51 AM
It's here very shortly, a fortnight away. I know we already have a football thread but I'm keeping this one purely to EPL.

Let us know who you support, what you think your teams chances are, and who's gonna win it all.

Im a Gooner through and through, have been since I was 11 in 1996. I'm happy so far with the summer transfers that Wenger has made, Chamakh on a free is an absolute bargain and Koscielny looks good value for 10m pound. VERY happy to get 6m for Eduardo, poor bugger just hasn't been able to get any form back since THAT Birmingham game.

Unfortunately it looks like we may be starting the season off with Almunia between the sticks, and we're still one Centre Back short. Per Mertesacker would be a great addition for his height, and if we can nab Schwarzer for cheap enough he'll be good cover until Sceszny comes through. The less said about Fabianski the better.

So predictions:
Chelsea to win again (unfortunately)
Man U 2nd (unfortunately)
Arsenal 3rd (contend for title despite massive injuries until 6 games left, then lose 3 out of final 6)
Liverpool under Roy Hodgson to scrap it out with Man City for 4th spot, Tottenham and Everton fight for 6th and 7th.

FA cup will be a surprise finalist losing to a top 4 side (much like last year) and the English teams will NOT make the CL final, only 1 making the Semi's (probably Man U).

All in all, not a lot to change from last year.

macjackass
2nd August 2010, 11:17 AM
It's here very shortly, a fortnight away. I know we already have a football thread but I'm keeping this one purely to EPL.

Let us know who you support, what you think your teams chances are, and who's gonna win it all.

Im a Gooner through and through, have been since I was 11 in 1996. I'm happy so far with the summer transfers that Wenger has made, Chamakh on a free is an absolute bargain and Koscielny looks good value for 10m pound. VERY happy to get 6m for Eduardo, poor bugger just hasn't been able to get any form back since THAT Birmingham game.

Unfortunately it looks like we may be starting the season off with Almunia between the sticks, and we're still one Centre Back short. Per Mertesacker would be a great addition for his height, and if we can nab Schwarzer for cheap enough he'll be good cover until Sceszny comes through. The less said about Fabianski the better.

So predictions:
Chelsea to win again (unfortunately)
Man U 2nd (unfortunately)
Arsenal 3rd (contend for title despite massive injuries until 6 games left, then lose 3 out of final 6)
Liverpool under Roy Hodgson to scrap it out with Man City for 4th spot, Tottenham and Everton fight for 6th and 7th.

FA cup will be a surprise finalist losing to a top 4 side (much like last year) and the English teams will NOT make the CL final, only 1 making the Semi's (probably Man U).

All in all, not a lot to change from last year.

Interesting thoughts.

I actually see Man U struggling, especially if Rooney doesn't do as well. Their defence is shaky as Ferdinand is always injured and Vidic is too slow, he must have nightmares about Torres. I can not see them winning the title at all, unless they make some very good signings. All that said, no team can play like crap for 90 minutes and then score in the last minute like these wankers.

I think Aresenal will be the champions, if they can get the 'keeper position sorted. Apparently they are looking at the Dutch guy Steklenberg. Agreed on Fabianski, he's not even A-league standard! Hopefully they can keep Cesc happy and they will be seriously challenging for the title.

Chelsea will be close but I don't see them having the improvement in them that Arsenal have. If they lost Drogba to injury then they would be in huge trouble whereas Arsenal lost Van Persie for a large part and still finished close.

Foruth spot could be anyone out of 4 teams. As a Liverpools supporter I am really hopeful now that the Spanish clown has left. I think Cole will be a good pick up, especially for free. Aquilani will improve if he stays healthy. I actually hope they sell Torres and Mascherrano. Torres is the best striker in the world when healthy but he is always out of the team. I think they could strengthen the squad with the money they could get from these two. There will be some bargains from Man City like Adebyor, Stephen Ireland etc as they have to get rid of some of their players to fit under the new cap of 25.

Can't wait for the season to start!

LeftyHoges
2nd August 2010, 11:46 AM
no team can play like crap for 90 minutes and then score in the last minute like these wankers.

Best description of Man U I've ever read. :lol: Unfortunately, you just can't discount them from anything. Even with a bad team somehow they still win or draw, like Arsenals capitulation to them first time around last season). O. Goal popped his head up so friggin' often for them last year, hopefully his contract wasn't renewed!! ;)

Apparently they are looking at the Dutch guy Steklenberg. Agreed on Fabianski, he's not even A-league standard!

Stekelenburg would be a great pickup, he's only around 8-10m pound too! Pretty cheap for a guy who keeps Van Der Sar out of the national team.

Chelsea will be close

I think a lot depends on Ashley Cole, if he goes its a hell of a hole to fill. Ramires should be a good pickup for them though. But for 20m he'd want to be... Drogba is their Talisman though, you're right.

but I don't see them having the improvement in them that Arsenal have. If they lost Drogba to injury then they would be in huge trouble whereas Arsenal lost Van Persie for a large part and still finished close.

Unfortunately this will happen again. Rosicky will spend 50% of the season injured, Bendtner looks crocked for most of the early part and Fabregas will have to be injured at some point, the guy hasn't had a summer off in ages. Other 3-4 week injuries throughout the team will kill us. I'll be glad to eat my words though! :wink:

Fourth spot could be anyone out of 4 teams. As a Liverpools supporter I am really hopeful now that the Spanish clown has left. I think Cole will be a good pick up, especially for free. Aquilani will improve if he stays healthy. I actually hope they sell Torres and Mascherrano. Torres is the best striker in the world when healthy but he is always out of the team. I think they could strengthen the squad with the money they could get from these two. There will be some bargains from Man City like Adebyor, Stephen Ireland etc as they have to get rid of some of their players to fit under the new cap of 25.

I really think Liverpool will claim fourth. Its one thing to have big names in a squad, another to get them to play well together. As they say, a champion team will beat a team of champions.

Mascherano looks like he's going, you should get about 25m from him which you could use to buy two very decent players. I'd have to agree on Torres too, 50m in your pocket is better than a striker who spends 40% of the season injured.

I can't believe that Ozil is going for around 10m, any team would be stupid not to buy him if that really is all that Werder Bremen think they can ask for him.

Can't wait for the season to start!

Same here. Opening match against you guys, should be very interesting!!

Bruce Dickinson
2nd August 2010, 12:05 PM
come on you irons

kingslayer33
2nd August 2010, 12:17 PM
another 'pool man here. But since the WC I have been keeping my EPL reading down to a minimum so haven't heard too much of current transfer talk.

I could live with Masch going (for good sterling) and even though I agree with the Torres comments of MacJack and Lefty I would hate to see Torres playing against us. When fit he is awesome to watch - just a pity he cannot get on the park often enough.

Anyway I reckon fourth is the best we can hope for, with a chance at third until late in the season.

KristianJ
2nd August 2010, 12:24 PM
I thought Van der Sar had retired from international football, Lefty.

I don't really have a favourite EPL team, but it will be good to see how Spurs do if they do make it into the group stages of the Champions League, plus see if they can keep up their performances from last season.

Plus it's good to see Newcastle back, but not too sure if they've recruited well enough to be a force once more (besides Sol Campbell, I'm not too sure if they have any new players). They might not end up yo-yoing from Premier League to the Championship like West Bromwich Albion do, but they'll probably end up scrapping with the likes of Stoke and Wolves.

Bruce Dickinson
2nd August 2010, 12:42 PM

I don't really have a favourite EPL team, but it will be good to see how Spurs do if they do make it into the group stages of the Champions League, plus see if they can keep up their performances from last season.

Plus it's good to see Newcastle back, but not too sure if they've recruited well enough to be a force once more (besides Sol Campbell, I'm not too sure if they have any new players). They might not end up yo-yoing from Premier League to the Championship like West Bromwich Albion do, but they'll probably end up scrapping with the likes of Stoke and Wolves.
It would be really good to see Spurs not even make it to the group stages of the Champions league :D

LeftyHoges
2nd August 2010, 02:01 PM

You could be right Kristian, but I also remember Stekelenburg pushing Van Der Sar for selection a little bit back aswell. They were friendlies though so there's more chance you're spot on the more I think about it.

It would be really good to see Spurs not even make it to the group stages of the Champions league :D

Couldn't agree more Bruce! Bloody spuds!

TourFit
2nd August 2010, 04:11 PM
I seem to be in the minority...a RED DEVIL!!! Have been a fan a LOOONNNGGGG time (back to the days when they won nothing).

I think Man Utd need a good signing or two...unfortunately, at their level a good signing is often seen as the 'top of the food chain'...or $20mil + ! As far as the current team goes, they have a lot of good younger players that may well be an important part of the reduced squad lists this year...guys like Gibson, Macheda, Rafael. Hargreaves may miss out completely due to that 25 rule too !!! That would be a pity, after all he's gone through, but why would Fergie risk a spot for him out of 25??

Berbatov needs to perform...Rooney needs to repeat last years form. Also time for Nani to step up and be a regular fist teamer rather than a bit part star. Personally, I think that Bellamy or Adebayour from Man City would be a good grab as forward support. Stephen Ireland would be a decent signing & also give some forward support from midfield that Scholesy just can't do anymore!!!

I think they will go close...but may just come up short again this year (unless the 1st team squad gets a couple of extra quality guys).

1) Chelsea are my pick again...:smt093....
2) Man Utd close runners up
3) Arsenal will have striker issues due to depth of quality, and 'keeper issues too. Will still be more than likely Top 3.
4) Spurs will be the 'real deal' this year IMO...maybe even challenging the Top 2 as the 'Best Of The Rest'.
5) Liverpool are a dark horse, especially if Torres stays, and remains fit. I think they will miss Mascherano (as Lucas is IMO, cover for that position) and Benayoun. Maybe Gerrard to play a deeper central midfield role this year. Hodgson certainly won't be playing two deep midfielders in his setup!!!
6) Man City will again be high flyin', big spending under achievers !!! (hopefully)
7) Everton will be as always...good on their day, but lacking in depth. Crucial to keep Cahill & Arteta fit.

CobraSS
2nd August 2010, 05:05 PM

:smt108

CobraSS
2nd August 2010, 05:14 PM
4) Spurs will be the 'real deal' this year IMO...maybe even challenging the Top 2 as the 'Best Of The Rest'.

Being a Spurs fan, I would love to believe this, but I think we still lack a bit of depth and this is especially true at centre half, we have a good team but still lack a few class players at key positions eg: DM, CF and CB, to be a threat in the Champions league, this being the case I think that Champions league games on top of the premiership will see our depth tested and could hurt our chances of finishing in the top 4 in the league. Especially if we pick up some injuries to our defense and key mid field players.

An early exit in the Champions League may be a blessing in disguise.

TourFit
2nd August 2010, 06:38 PM
I don't see Spurs having any more 'issues' than say...Arsenal, at this point. Certainly more/better strikers available in the Spurs squad. All teams have a few positional concerns...

Liverpool have left back & 'keeper issues (and some would say defensive midfield when Mascherano goes)
Arsenal have striker depth issues & 'keeper issues
Man Utd have striker depth issues
Man City have 'too many choices' issues
Chelsea have 'too many issues' issues

macjackass
3rd August 2010, 02:30 PM
I don't see Spurs having any more 'issues' than say...Arsenal, at this point. Certainly more/better strikers available in the Spurs squad. All teams have a few positional concerns...

Liverpool have left back & 'keeper issues (and some would say defensive midfield when Mascherano goes)
Arsenal have striker depth issues & 'keeper issues
Man Utd have striker depth issues
Man City have 'too many choices' issues
Chelsea have 'too many issues' issues

Tottenham have the two most injury prone centre backs going around. Plus, Crouch is average at best and Keane is gawn! That leaves two smurfs (although they are two pretty good smurfs!)
I'm not sure what you meant about 'keeper issues at Liverpool. Arsenal would be one of many clubs very happy if they had Reina. The left back issue would be solved easily if they could pick up bridge at the Man City fire sale. Defensive midfield is a relatively easy and cheap fix.

I think Arsenal are fine with strikers, I think Chamakh is going to be very good.

PerryGroves
3rd August 2010, 02:58 PM
Lefty, I remain confident as always of a Gooners win. As usual despite advancing years I will be available to lace on the boots. For those not familiar with my stellar career
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Groves

Presume the Schwarzer move is still up in the air depending on what Hughes wants to do?

macjackass
3rd August 2010, 02:59 PM
Look, I love the EPL but don't you find it incredible that the season starts yet again with only 3 or 4 legitimate chances of winning the League ?

As a hammers man I get ready yet again for a relegation battle.

I would have thought most sports are like that.

Could be worse, in Spain there are only two teams with a chance! And the quality of the Barca squad means realistically only one.

LeftyHoges
3rd August 2010, 03:01 PM
Tottenham have the two most injury prone centre backs going around. Plus, Crouch is average at best and Keane is gawn! That leaves two smurfs (although they are two pretty good smurfs!)
I'm not sure what you meant about 'keeper issues at Liverpool. Arsenal would be one of many clubs very happy if they had Reina. The left back issue would be solved easily if they could pick up bridge at the Man City fire sale. Defensive midfield is a relatively easy and cheap fix.

I think Arsenal are fine with strikers, I think Chamakh is going to be very good.

I'm sorry, did you say the words 'issue', 'solved' & 'Wayne Bridge' in the same sentence???

Wow.... :shock:

But you're right, I'd take Reina ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

I find it a bit bizarre actually. Never in a million years would I say that Mascherano is worth 25mil but it looks as though thats what Liverpool are asking (or about that). There are plenty of good Defensive midfielders around for 10mil, I'd be grabbing Masch's 25m and selling Torres for the 40-50mil and build a damn good team that will be injury free.

Arsenal should be fine with the strikers this year with Van Persie, Bendtner and Chamakh. Arshavin can now drop back to his winger/supporting striker role and Walcott can come forward now too. Putting it in the back of the net will not be the problem for us this year. Keeping it out will.

macjackass
3rd August 2010, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=LeftyHoges;509077]I'm sorry, did you say the words 'issue', 'solved' & 'Wayne Bridge' in the same sentence???

Have you seen the cavalcade of muppets mascerading as Liverpool leftbacks recently?

LeftyHoges
3rd August 2010, 03:15 PM
Lefty, I remain confident as always of a Gooners win. As usual despite advancing years I will be available to lace on the boots. For those not familiar with my stellar career
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Groves

Presume the Schwarzer move is still up in the air depending on what Hughes wants to do?

We all live in a Perry Groves world!!!!

I'm assuming they are at least still looking at the Schwarzer deal. Fulham would be stoopid not to sell, even for 3mil. Schwarzer is 37 with this year left on his contract. They have a decent enough keeper in Stockdale or they could get younger keeper than Schwarzer with his 3mil + maybe a little more.

Fulham refused to do anything transfer wise until they had a manager so hopefully something happens soon with Sparky in there.

I'd love to see Schwarzer at Arsenal, hell an Aussie at any of the Big 4 would be great!

LeftyHoges
3rd August 2010, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=LeftyHoges;509077]I'm sorry, did you say the words 'issue', 'solved' & 'Wayne Bridge' in the same sentence???

Have you seen the cavalcade of muppets mascerading as Liverpool leftbacks recently?

:lol: Unfortunately I have. But surely there's gotta be better than Bridge!?!?!?

There's the answer I suppose. Buy a great defensive MF to replace Mascherano for around 15m and then a quality left-back for 10m... Sell Torres for 40m and buy Ozil for 15m as backup / running mate for Gerrard, and a top shelf striker for 25m. Or even a striker for 20m and Bellamy for 5m from Man City.

macjackass
3rd August 2010, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=macjackass;509083]

:lol: Unfortunately I have. But surely there's gotta be better than Bridge!?!?!?

There's the answer I suppose. Buy a great defensive MF to replace Mascherano for around 15m and then a quality left-back for 10m... Sell Torres for 40m and buy Ozil for 15m as backup / running mate for Gerrard, and a top shelf striker for 25m. Or even a striker for 20m and Bellamy for 5m from Man City.

With regards to Ozil, can't believe his german club aren't prepared to let him go now rather than wait another year and get nothing. That makes no sense whatsoever. Pass on Bellamy, he's a cancer in the dressing room (from memory, hasn't he already played for us and he had an incident with Riise and a golf club?). I think Bridge would be an upgrade over Insua, don't even get me started on Lucas!!!!!!

LeftyHoges
3rd August 2010, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=LeftyHoges;509089]

With regards to Ozil, can't believe his german club aren't prepared to let him go now rather than wait another year and get nothing. That makes no sense whatsoever. Pass on Bellamy, he's a cancer in the dressing room (from memory, hasn't he already played for us and he had an incident with Riise and a golf club?). I think Bridge would be an upgrade over Insua, don't even get me started on Lucas!!!!!!

Yep, not very good business sense at all from Bremen. With 10-12 million pounds you can buy yourself a good player for the next 5-10 years, this year he may help them win trophies but then thats it. And if he gets injured this year, they'll get absolute bupkus (don't really know how to spell that) out of him. Seems odd.

You could be right about Bellamy actually, for some reason I thought Liverpool was about the only club he hadn't been to (besides ours), but the incident with Riise rings a few bells. Bridge would be an upgrade, ESPECIALLY on Lucas, but he'll be 30 on Thursday, you could do better. I tell you what, you can have Clichy for 8m, hows that sound????

TourFit
3rd August 2010, 03:53 PM
Meh...they'll just put Dirk Kuyt there and be done with it !!! :)

macjackass
3rd August 2010, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=macjackass;509094]

Yep, not very good business sense at all from Bremen. With 10-12 million pounds you can buy yourself a good player for the next 5-10 years, this year he may help them win trophies but then thats it. And if he gets injured this year, they'll get absolute bupkus (don't really know how to spell that) out of him. Seems odd.

You could be right about Bellamy actually, for some reason I thought Liverpool was about the only club he hadn't been to (besides ours), but the incident with Riise rings a few bells. Bridge would be an upgrade, ESPECIALLY on Lucas, but he'll be 30 on Thursday, you could do better. I tell you what, you can have Clichy for 8m, hows that sound????

We've bought some duds recently, I'm just glad that we now have someone in charge who knows what they're doing. As for left back, I think Aurelio re-signed so it may not be an issue. More good news is that the stupid yank owners may have a sale, what a disaster they have been.

TourFit
3rd August 2010, 05:00 PM
Man Utd are in the same boat there !!!

macjackass
3rd August 2010, 05:05 PM
Man Utd are in the same boat there !!!

True, but at least you guys were successful whilst being plunged into debt by hated owners. We have the debt, hated owners and no trophies!

LeftyHoges
3rd August 2010, 05:39 PM
True, but at least you guys were successful whilst being plunged into debt by hated owners. We have the debt, hated owners and no trophies!

That may be true but at least you've got something that Arsenal havent and hopefully Chelsea never will...

A Champions League Trophy!

LeftyHoges
14th August 2010, 10:05 PM
And we're off!!!

15 minutes in at White Hart Lane and it's 0-0 between two clubs that could be dangerous this season. Not title winners dangerous but enough to derail a title winning team.

Really looking forward to this season and tomorrow night between Arsenal and Liverpool should be great!

Hamo84
18th August 2010, 11:26 PM
Watched both the Chelsea and Man Utd games, both got the job done well. Have to say i am happy to see Newcastle back

LeftyHoges
19th August 2010, 03:16 PM
Watched both the Chelsea and Man Utd games, both got the job done well. Have to say i am happy to see Newcastle back

Yep, Chelsea look to be a force again (damn it!) although it was only West Brom so not too much can be read from that. A little surprised that Man U only took Newcastle for 3, considering Newcastle didn't recruit that heavily over the summer.

3 or 4 more games should show us who is who though...

LeftyHoges
1st September 2010, 03:08 PM
Another transfer window closes, (at the least) another half a season without a decent 'keeper. Another season of wasted opportunity and disappointment.

So no trophies this season means no more Cesc for next season. And without anyone to replace Cesc next season, goodbye top 4. Mid-table mediocrity by 2015 (maybe a little over-dramatic but you see my point, don't you?).

See how important getting a quality keeper in this transfer window was...???? :smt093 ](*,):smt076

Bruce Dickinson
1st September 2010, 03:23 PM
West Ham are shit

macjackass
1st September 2010, 03:26 PM
Another transfer window closes, (at the least) another half a season without a decent 'keeper. Another season of wasted opportunity and disappointment.

So no trophies this season means no more Cesc for next season. And without anyone to replace Cesc next season, goodbye top 4. Mid-table mediocrity by 2015 (maybe a little over-dramatic but you see my point, don't you?).

See how important getting a quality keeper in this transfer window was...???? :smt093 ](*,):smt076

Very surprising on the 'keeper front...

Of the big clubs, I think you recruited better than anyone. You got a better centre back and cover now as well. I think Chamakh is going to be really good. As for Cesc, I think it wouldn't matter whether he won a trophy or not. Spare a thought for a club that could only sign Joe Cole and Paul Konchesky. I would have preferred Wayne Bridge! :cry:

LeftyHoges
1st September 2010, 05:21 PM
West Ham are shit

Reluctantly agree. Sad, as I don't have any problems with the Hammers.

Very surprising on the 'keeper front...

Of the big clubs, I think you recruited better than anyone. You got a better centre back and cover now as well. I think Chamakh is going to be really good. As for Cesc, I think it wouldn't matter whether he won a trophy or not. Spare a thought for a club that could only sign Joe Cole and Paul Konchesky. I would have preferred Wayne Bridge! :cry:

I'm damn proud of Wenger and his transfer dealings, and thought that he was great this window, barring the lack of a keeper signing. Doesn't overspend and knows a good player when he sees it. Gotta give him plaudits for not running the club into the ground a la Man U, Chelsea, Man City and 'Pool while still maintaining the top 4 spot. But Chamakh is a presence in the air that we need and there was every chance we would have lost to Blackburn on Saturday if he didn't cover Samba like he did. Just gotta put a few more balls in the back of the net and he'll be on his way. Liking him already though. Still not 100% convinced on Koscielny but gotta give him time to adjust. I'm hopeful (but not convinced) that if we can get some silverware this year we might convince Cesc to stay for another year or two.

And I know Tottenham are a fairly popular club but where the hell do they get all their money from for all these (rumoured) signings?!?!?

I thought 'Pool were actually going to do a bit on the last day. Stayed up 'til 3AM watching all the transfer goss and there was plenty of talk about signings for them, just Konchesky the only one to eventuate. I thought you were actually going to snag Carlton Cole at the end too.

Bruce Dickinson
1st September 2010, 05:35 PM
I was hoping that Carlton Cole would go somewhere, unfortunately it didn't happen

TourFit
1st September 2010, 05:38 PM
LOL...

Somewhere, ANYWHERE.

CobraSS
2nd September 2010, 08:51 PM
And I know Tottenham are a fairly popular club but where the hell do they get all their money from for all these (rumoured) signings?!?!?

They got an extra $30million for making the group stages of the Champions League, plus gate takings for the 4CL group home games, it helps to make the transfer kitty bigger.

kingslayer33
12th September 2010, 08:40 AM
How good is it for ManU to have two goals scored against them in injury time to have a draw?

LeftyHoges
14th September 2010, 05:35 PM
How good is it for ManU to have two goals scored against them in injury time to have a draw?

That may have been the greatest thing I have seen this century. I could not believe my eyes when it happened, and I was just as pissed at the ref as David Moyes was when he blew for full time when Everton were on the break. That game finished a full minute earlier than it should have. But still, GREAT result.

So after 4 games played (not a lot I know), who are the main surprises???

Obviously Blackpool in 4th is huge but I suspect it'll be Hull City from 2 seasons ago all over again. West Ham with no points is a little (but only a little) surprising. Tottenham and Man City languishing in mid table is fantastic. I thought Liverpool would be back much stronger this season (although admittedly they have played Arsenal and Man City already), but I suppose the biggest surprise for me is Everton. Notoriously slow starters and striker injury problems already but I thought they would have won at least 1 of their 4 games. Plenty of football to go.

Personally, I'm just waiting for Chamakh to get injured (it's gotta happen doesn't it???) and we're screwed again with RVP and Bendtner out for at least another 4 weeks.

macjackass
14th September 2010, 05:39 PM
I turned it off in the 86th minute, couldn't believe the result the next day!!!!

Blackpool away to Chelsea this weekend. That could be a bloodbath! I hope so, I've got Malouda, Drogba and Anelka in my fantasy team

Bruce Dickinson
14th September 2010, 05:42 PM
we were expecting probably a point against Bolton not much more in the first 4 games

Villa away, Man Utd away and Chelski at home isn't the easiest start to a season

Hamo84
14th September 2010, 07:05 PM
I turned it off in the 86th minute, couldn't believe the result the next day!!!!

Same here, I turned it off thinking we had it in the bag. Oh how i was wrong!!!

Panning out to be a good season though. I wouldnt mind seeing Blackpool up there for as long as they can withstand the other teams.

As long as Liverpool and Man City Stay mid to low table i will be happy

Bruce Dickinson
23rd September 2010, 05:57 PM
Interesting result for Liverpool last night, losing to my second team Northampton Town fron division 3 on penalties

As the Sun put it, it was another kick in the Cobblers for them

macjackass
24th September 2010, 08:52 AM
Interesting result for Liverpool last night, losing to my second team Northampton Town fron division 3 on penalties

As the Sun put it, it was another kick in the Cobblers for them

Apparently they created quite a few chances, just wasteful in front of goal. It shows how shallow our squad is when our second stringers (for the most part) struggled whereas Man U strolled with their second team. League cup is good for a team like Arsenal who use it to develop their younger players.

LeftyHoges
6th October 2010, 04:20 PM
Losing 2-0 to Chelsea via a freak goal to friggin' Drogba when we should have been 1 up after 1 minute!

:smt022:smt022:smt022:smt022:smt022:smt022:smt022

Losing 3-2 to bloody West Bromwich Albion at home!!!

:smt093:smt093:smt093:smt093:smt093:smt093:smt093

Horrible fortnight for the Gooners. All we need now is to lose Wilshere, Chamakh or Nasri on the international break and that'll be another season dead and buried after 10 games. YIPPEE!!! :x

TourFit
7th October 2010, 07:07 PM
Good to see Liverpool's form picking up...:mrgreen:

My boys are having some uncharacteristic results of late...0-0 with Sunderland, a draw at Bolton, that disaster draw vs Everton. It looks to me that Man Utd are not ANYWHERE near where they need to be to give Chelksi a run for their money at the moment...

...look for some spending in the January window I think!!!

LeftyHoges
8th October 2010, 12:24 AM
Good to see Liverpool's form picking up...:mrgreen:

My boys are having some uncharacteristic results of late...0-0 with Sunderland, a draw at Bolton, that disaster draw vs Everton. It looks to me that Man Utd are not ANYWHERE near where they need to be to give Chelksi a run for their money at the moment...

...look for some spending in the January window I think!!!

In all fairness you guys did squeak out a hell of a lot of 1-0 wins last year with goals either in the 90th + minute or from balls just banged into the box that happen to ricochet of one of your guys feet and in or own goals aswell. Funny what happens when the luck isn't going your way!

In saying that I'd still much rather see you guys at the top of the table than bloody Chelski! Buying another premiership this year.

You're spot on about spending in January though. Why Fergie doesn't feel he has to replace Giggs, perma-crock Carrick and Scholes with someone of quality is beyond me. Fletcher is OK as the hard man but he's not creative like a Fabregas, Gerrard or dare I say it, Lampard. Clutching at straws a bit for fat Frank I know.

A box-to-box man like Ozil would have been absolutely awesome for you and he only went for $10 million pound!

Funny how these managers minds work, isn't it!?!?

Still, just imagine how bad your season could be right now if Berbaflop hadn't found some form!

LeftyHoges
14th December 2010, 05:38 PM
When the **** is the EPL going to do something about Man Utd's friggin 12th man on the pitch? It's not like he's hard to spot, he usually wears black, sometimes yellow, green or blue. For crying out loud hes even got a whistle in his hand, surely that should be enough to pick him out.

Yet another absolutely bloody disgraceful blatant display from Howard Webb this morning. He should be banned from refereeing any Arsenal game due to his obvious hatred for us. Seems to like Manchester Utd quite a bit though. Also, the amount of Man Utd players coming through the back of the Arsenal players and getting away with it was ridiculous.

And the penalty was absolute bullshit too. Clichy lying on the ground has the ball kicked into his arm and its given by the sideline ref for ****s sake. All I can say is Rooney missing by 5 yards is karmic retribution at its finest.

Now after all that I'm not saying we deserved to win because we certainly didn't but we didn't deserve to lose either. Once again that lucky little prick Ji-Sung Park has fluked one out of his rectum to win a game.

I suppose fortune favours the team who pays off the League, knows nothing about the ball being played into the box, is Man Utd.

macjackass
14th December 2010, 05:47 PM
When the **** is the EPL going to do something about Man Utd's friggin 12th man on the pitch? It's not like he's hard to spot, he usually wears black, sometimes yellow, green or blue. For crying out loud hes even got a whistle in his hand, surely that should be enough to pick him out.

Yet another absolutely bloody disgraceful blatant display from Howard Webb this morning. He should be banned from refereeing any Arsenal game due to his obvious hatred for us. Seems to like Manchester Utd quite a bit though. Also, the amount of Man Utd players coming through the back of the Arsenal players and getting away with it was ridiculous.

And the penalty was absolute bullshit too. Clichy lying on the ground has the ball kicked into his arm and its given by the sideline ref for ****s sake. All I can say is Rooney missing by 5 yards is karmic retribution at its finest.

Now after all that I'm not saying we deserved to win because we certainly didn't but we didn't deserve to lose either. Once again that lucky little prick Ji-Sung Park has fluked one out of his rectum to win a game.

I suppose fortune favours the team who pays off the League, knows nothing about the ball being played into the box, is Man Utd.

You could have lost to Newcastle! Our new owners have deep pockets when it comes to their other team (they just spent big on Crawford and Gonzales). They better not have short arms in January!!

LeftyHoges
15th December 2010, 12:36 AM
You could have lost to Newcastle! Our new owners have deep pockets when it comes to their other team (they just spent big on Crawford and Gonzales). They better not have short arms in January!!

Been there, done that Mac. We lost 1-0 to them at home a couple of weeks ago. Was reading that stoke, blackpool and i think wolves have beaten newcastle at St. James' park yet Liverpool and arsenal get knocked off. Funny old season.

I think you guys will have around $30-40 in January to spend. If not it'll be around $15-20 with the same or slightly higher in the off-season. Pretty sure the new owners know they need to inject a bit of cash to get back on track.

Are you one of the ones calling for Hodgson's head yet?

macjackass
15th December 2010, 08:40 AM
Been there, done that Mac. We lost 1-0 to them at home a couple of weeks ago. Was reading that stoke, blackpool and i think wolves have beaten newcastle at St. James' park yet Liverpool and arsenal get knocked off. Funny old season.

I think you guys will have around $30-40 in January to spend. If not it'll be around $15-20 with the same or slightly higher in the off-season. Pretty sure the new owners know they need to inject a bit of cash to get back on track.

Are you one of the ones calling for Hodgson's head yet?

I hope you mean in millions :lol:

Get rid of Lucas, Poulsen, Babbel (I like him but they're killing him so they may as well see if they can get something for him) for starters. If someone was stupid enough to make a decent offer for Glen Johnson get rid of him too. A quality midfielder and forward and we'll be a lot better.

As for Hodgson, I think you have to give him at least the option ot buy some decent players in January. If there is no sign of improvement (in the way we play) by the end of the year then I think he'll be gone. How stupid are Inter by the way?!? That goose we had is destroying them, ha ha.

Bruce Dickinson
28th February 2011, 06:02 PM
easy win for the Hammers last night...........

Bruce Dickinson
16th May 2011, 09:46 AM
and Avram Grant is a **** of the highest order

LeftyHoges
16th May 2011, 04:05 PM
and Avram Grant is a **** of the highest order

Any coming back from this Bruce? (a la Newcastle) or will it be a while before your boys see the top flight again?

Bruce Dickinson
16th May 2011, 05:06 PM
Any coming back from this Bruce? (a la Newcastle) or will it be a while before your boys see the top flight again?

this is looking grim, heavily in debt with no manager and the following about to go in a fire sale or back to their original clubs

Rob Green - will be missed
Matt Upson - he can **** off anywhere he likes, worst captain WHU has ever had
Scott Parker - WHU legend
Carlton Cole - wont be missed, wastes far too many chances.
Demb Ba - he'll be the bargain of the year for someone
Wayne Bridge - back to Citeh for sale
Robbie Keane - spuds infiltrator whose miss against Blackburn should warrant a FA investigation
Obinna - too inconsistent, back to Italy
Kovac - he'll be missed at Faces nightclub in Ilford
LBM - fingers crossed, couldnt hit the side of a barn from five feet with an exocet missile
Kieron Dyer - likely to injure himself walking from the phyios bench to the showers
Piquionne - relegated two years in a row, as lucky as the number 13
Hitzlesperger - he might show some loyalty and stay for one season

LeftyHoges
17th May 2011, 02:39 PM
this is looking grim, heavily in debt with no manager and the following about to go in a fire sale or back to their original clubs

Rob Green - will be missed
Matt Upson - he can **** off anywhere he likes, worst captain WHU has ever had
Scott Parker - WHU legend
Carlton Cole - wont be missed, wastes far too many chances.
Demb Ba - he'll be the bargain of the year for someone
Wayne Bridge - back to Citeh for sale
Robbie Keane - spuds infiltrator whose miss against Blackburn should warrant a FA investigation
Obinna - too inconsistent, back to Italy
Kovac - he'll be missed at Faces nightclub in Ilford
LBM - fingers crossed, couldnt hit the side of a barn from five feet with an exocet missile
Kieron Dyer - likely to injure himself walking from the phyios bench to the showers
Piquionne - relegated two years in a row, as lucky as the number 13
Hitzlesperger - he might show some loyalty and stay for one season

I really thought when you guys put that string of points together a few months back that you would kick on from there. I don't believe that you've been the worst club in the PL this year (far from the best of course though)

Don't think I could agree more with your valuations there, Green and Parker have been top drawer for years now. And spot on with Upson and Keane. I certainly hope the rumours of Arsenal picking up Upson on the cheap aren't true, he's no better (or probably even worse) than Squillaci for fourth choice CB.

I'd be trying hard for Demba Ba during the off-season. Quality player there. Piquionne could be a top player also if he fixes his brain. Hitzlesperger would be a handy squad player for Arsenal too.

All things said and done, I can't see WHU being in the top flight for a while but I wish them well and a speedy return.

Bruce Dickinson
17th May 2011, 02:46 PM
I really thought when you guys put that string of points together a few months back that you would kick on from there. I don't believe that you've been the worst club in the PL this year (far from the best of course though)

Don't think I could agree more with your valuations there, Green and Parker have been top drawer for years now. And spot on with Upson and Keane. I certainly hope the rumours of Arsenal picking up Upson on the cheap aren't true, he's no better (or probably even worse) than Squillaci for fourth choice CB.

I'd be trying hard for Demba Ba during the off-season. Quality player there. Piquionne could be a top player also if he fixes his brain. Hitzlesperger would be a handy squad player for Arsenal too.

All things said and done, I can't see WHU being in the top flight for a while but I wish them well and a speedy return.

Upsons on a free transfer and we have clubbed together to pay his taxi fare anywhere he likes. Bit of biff at an awards night for the hammers last night so Demba Ba will be on teh transfer market

TourFit
18th May 2011, 01:15 PM
Agree that Demba Ba will be an excellent buy for one of the bigger (read : Premier League) clubs...:lol:

Scott Parker will surely have to go...but he will be pricey, so it'll be one of the big clubs...where he may not play too many games (ala Benayoun at Chelski - WHAT A WASTE!). My hope is that Man Utd will pick him up to be a experienced semi 'short' term replacement for Scholes/Giggs. Although the rumours are pretty heavily leaning to Arsenal making a decent bid! (Like they don't have any creative type midfielders who can go forward and score - Nasri, Rosicky, Arshavin, Fabregas, Wilshere, Ramsay, Walcott!)

Rob Green makes the hard look quite easy... and the simple stuff look like he skipped that training session! He must be secretly related to Heurelho Gomes @ Tottenham...Actually, I'd like to see Liverpool pick up RG, that way the most hated foe will always have that possible 'clanger' hanging over their heads!!!

Also agreed on Upson...who cares. Man City will probably take him :roll:

Mark Noble will go somewhere, he'll be a good buy.

Hitzelsperger will go back to Germany. Again. And be back in English football the year after! :?