PDA

View Full Version : Issue IE6 Viewing

Hawkers2008
2nd August 2010, 09:44 AM
I have just been downgraded to IE6 at work. I have noticed that a lot of the little graphics like the multi quote one don't render and some dots (like the ones aftre users names) and other markers here look a bit funny.

AndyP
2nd August 2010, 09:49 AM
On the rare occasions that I have viewed the forum using IE6 at work it has been truly suckful.

Who else is stuck using IE6?

henno
2nd August 2010, 09:52 AM
Microsoft is no longer supporting that piece of trash. Worst browser to ever have to develop websites for.

It's a downgrade alright. Your work's IT boffins are idiots.

Eldrick
2nd August 2010, 09:53 AM
my company default browser is IE6 and it is terrible
if i didn't have a work around i don't think i could survive

henno
2nd August 2010, 09:57 AM
My work also use IE6 as a default, but that is due to their laziness, they didn't actually spend the time downgrading and going backwards. That makes no sense to me.

That's the funny thing about IE6. It a piece of junk that barely adhered to web design standards and instead included a bunch of proprietary rendering systems. Now that the internet has moved on and realised what a hunk of junk it was, companies are reluctant to upgrade because their only-writen-for-IE6 intranets don't render properly in compliant browsers and rather than fixing their shit they choose to just leave users stranded on a decade-old browser.

Hawkers2008
2nd August 2010, 10:52 AM
I had upgraded myself but they found out and downgraded me back.

I think they are going to IE8 some time in the next few weeks, its not the end of the world.

Eldrick
2nd August 2010, 11:58 AM
grab a small flash drive and run portable mozilla

senecio
2nd August 2010, 02:11 PM
IE6 at work here to. But I have done as Eldrick has suggested.

markTHEblake
2nd August 2010, 04:45 PM
companies are reluctant to upgrade because their only-writen-for-IE6 intranets don't render properly in compliant browsers and rather than fixing their shit they choose to just leave users stranded on a decade-old browser.

That makes sense but there is another side of the coin, perhaps some companies see little priority/value in enhancing the performance of time wasting activities for their staff?

henno
2nd August 2010, 05:54 PM
That makes sense but there is another side of the coin, perhaps some companies see little priority/value in enhancing the performance of time wasting activities for their staff?

I would agree with you, except that the problem only exists as a result of the IE5/5.5/6.0 rendering issues in the first place. If Microsoft hadn't tried to wield it's big stick of "market share" and done it's own thing with regards to ignoring web standards and general rendering guidelines, there would be no need to fix the websites as they would already be interoperable with other standards compliant browsers. Ignoring industry standards and developing for one platform is usually bad news as it means you are unable to move, shift and adapt as quickly as you should. Internet Explorer (and Frontpage, probably) is both the cause and the symptom and the only reason time now needs to be "wasted" is due to poor development in the first instance. The height of my web development years were between 1998-2005 and I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've had to juggle IE-specific styling rules just to trick it to render a webpage the same as every other browser at the time. If you've ever had the displeasure of messing around with the various IE box model hacks you'd know the frustration I'm talking about.

markTHEblake
2nd August 2010, 07:49 PM
By the way, can tell when one of Henno's buttons have been pressed, the unforgivable occurs - spelling!

GC
3rd August 2010, 06:06 AM
Here is a good way to get around the problem Mulitple Explorer Versions Simultaneously (http://www.askvg.com/how-to-run-multiple-internet-explorer-versions-simultaneously/) I have use this software for ages now and works great!

Veefore
3rd August 2010, 12:11 PM
Just saw this thread. The department I work for is locked into IE6 because that is what our version of Oracle was developed for and neither ASG nor Oracle have shown any interest in updating Oracle to suit a better browser. Our Tax Compliance people are the only ones in the building allowed to use an alternative because apparently the ATO's signature keys (forgot what they are properly called) will not work in IE6.
I do have firefox portable on my thumbdrive.