PDA

View Full Version : A 59 for Stuart Appleby!!!

KristianJ
2nd August 2010, 07:36 AM
Go Apples! :D Career defining round if ever there was one. Here's hoping he can hold on to his lead and win.

Jarro
2nd August 2010, 07:58 AM
Great round from Appleby :) 9 birdies and an eagle

Overton needs a birdie on the par 3 18th to tie and force a playoff !!

How many 59's have we seen this year ?? It's amazing

sms316
2nd August 2010, 08:02 AM
Overton is a tool and a sook. Good to see him come up short again.

Is there a slower professional golfer on the greens?

Ferrins
2nd August 2010, 08:07 AM
suck shite, missed the putt. Go Aussie go!

Onewood
2nd August 2010, 08:41 AM
Great round from Appleby :) 9 birdies and an eagle

Overton needs a birdie on the par 3 18th to tie and force a playoff !!

How many 59's have we seen this year ?? It's amazing

2 59's this year Jarro and 5 over all

What a front nine card

4,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 = 28

Jarro
2nd August 2010, 08:50 AM
2 59's this year Jarro and 5 over all

What a front nine card

4,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 = 28

Thanks Kev.

It just seems like there were more 59's scored, but probably more the fact that there were more chances for 59's to be scored.

Great round from Apples all the same. I'm guessing he's wondering where the hell that round came from ??:-s

MegaWatty
2nd August 2010, 09:20 AM
New groove rule seems to be working well!

chappy1970
2nd August 2010, 09:31 AM
Great result, hopefully this will turn everything around for him

KristianJ
2nd August 2010, 09:36 AM
New groove rule seems to be working well!

I was thinking about that yesterday, given the sub 60 rounds we've heard about this year.

I'm wondering if the way that some courses have been set up in terms of the rough and the hardness of the green surfaces negates the effects of the rule. That said, Apples putted very, very well and made some clutch putts around the 10 foot range.

rodders
2nd August 2010, 11:02 AM
Awesomeness!!!!

LeftyHoges
2nd August 2010, 11:06 AM
I may get shot for this, but am I the only one who thinks a 59 is a 59 when its shot on a par 72 course????

I know we could get into course lengths and all other different scenarios here and I know its not going to be as easy in some respects on a par 70 because of the two par 5's taken out etc. but really in the true spirit of a 59 should it not be on a Par 72 track?

Nevertheless, a great round for him and congrats to him on the win. Great to see!!!

razaar
2nd August 2010, 11:22 AM
Soft greens + no wind = low scores. Notwithstanding, Apples was due for a good tourney. First time I've seen him relaxed on the greens for a few years. A change in caddie and putting technique has paid off big time. It was nice that Steve Bann was on hand to witness the 59 and win.

markTHEblake
2nd August 2010, 05:32 PM
I may get shot for this, but am I the only one who thinks a 59 is a 59 when its shot on a par 72 course????

59 is seemingly just as rare on a Par 70 or 71.
The difference between a par 70 and 72 is buggar all
breaking 60 is a massive psychological barrier.

sms316
2nd August 2010, 05:35 PM
Imagine what he could have had if he wasn't using an inferior ball.

mike
2nd August 2010, 05:38 PM
Most PGA tour par 70 layouts are simply a par 72 where a couple of the par 5s are converted to long par 4s. Still a great achievement.

Eag's
2nd August 2010, 05:49 PM
Top stuff Apples :smt038

goughy
2nd August 2010, 06:05 PM

!

No, you won't get shot. Apples is the first to shoot one on a par 70. The others have all been on par 71 or 72 courses. But two of them were shot where lift-clean-replace was in play. So should they count?

oncewasagolfer
2nd August 2010, 07:10 PM
No, you won't get shot. Apples is the first to shoot one on a par 70. The others have all been on par 71 or 72 courses. But two of them were shot where lift-clean-replace was in play. So should they count?

Thats a good point. I dont think apples shooting 59 on a par 70 course should take anything away from this achievement great effort!

raidrboy
2nd August 2010, 07:24 PM
59 is seemingly just as rare on a Par 70 or 71.
The difference between a par 70 and 72 is buggar all
breaking 60 is a massive psychological barrier.

Well said MTB it doesn't matter a damn about the course par a 59 on the PGA tour is a great achievement in any one's language. Congrats to Apples.

Courty
2nd August 2010, 07:26 PM
Wot Mike said.

virge666
2nd August 2010, 07:29 PM
Screw the 59 - the lad has a job for the next two years and a start in the PGA and WGC event at Firestone !!!

He has my favourite swing on tour too.

henno
2nd August 2010, 07:40 PM

I thought Tiger's practice swing was your favourite swing? ;-)

Courty
2nd August 2010, 07:41 PM
I thought it was Tiger's SCHWING!

Ned
2nd August 2010, 07:43 PM
I thought it was Tiger's SCHWING!

As opposed to some peoples SWHANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sms316
2nd August 2010, 08:30 PM
You're shitting me? Give me Freddy Couples over that any day.

Flavzz
2nd August 2010, 08:40 PM
Screw the 59 - the lad has a job for the next two years and a start in the PGA and WGC event at Firestone !!!

Agree totally.. This was the main thing I was thinking when he clinched the win and that point was nowhere to be heard on the coverage. For a bloke like apples who was playing to keep his card I'm sure he would have been much happier knowing what the win would do for his future playing status, and I was amazed none of the commentators mentioned it..

oncewasagolfer
2nd August 2010, 08:41 PM
doesn't freddy play the seniors tour these days?

Flavzz
2nd August 2010, 08:43 PM
He still plays some PGA events but mainly dominates on the old boys tour..

Matt
2nd August 2010, 09:59 PM
was a feel good day when i woke up, put fox sports news on, and saw apples picked up the win. was awesome, considering the battles over the last couple of seasons. cant wait to see him down here in a couple of months.

MegaWatty
2nd August 2010, 10:02 PM

Cannot agree more! I have loved that swing since I was a kid. The casual walk without a care in the world matches the swing perfectly!

BOOM BOOM!

Yossarian
2nd August 2010, 10:09 PM
I like apples swing, I don't like how he talks to his caddy and a million words a minute once he has played his shot!

Awesome win though!

McMw
2nd August 2010, 10:13 PM
two aussie wins on the PGA tour with cross-handed putting style - is this a new trend??? :)

Hamo84
2nd August 2010, 10:24 PM

How true, after seeing the struggles that he has gone through over the last year or so it is really good to see Stuart back up there.
Watching the replay now, pretty impressive effort

TheTrueReview
2nd August 2010, 10:33 PM
.... and he gets to return to Kapalua next year ... the scene of his previous three-peat.

Ned
2nd August 2010, 10:45 PM
More then likely if it had been a Par 72 course then one of the holes may have been a Par 5, which could have presented the opportunity to shoot a 58.

Nice golf, long while between drinks but what a way to get back into the shout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McMw
2nd August 2010, 10:56 PM

if the tournament has lift-clean-place, the score doesn't count as a course record.
that's the impression I've been given all this years...
so Goydos 59 wouldn't (shouldn't) count as a course record...
unless of coz the host club wants to have that acolade on their resume...

goughy
3rd August 2010, 07:12 AM
Yeah, it was Goydos a month ago and Geiberger in 1977 that had lift,clean and place in play.

sms316
3rd August 2010, 07:43 AM
More then likely if it had been a Par 72 course then one of the holes may have been a Par 5, which could have presented the opportunity to shoot a 58.

I'm sure that deep down there is some form of logic in this statement. Stuffed if I can find it though.

Ned
3rd August 2010, 07:45 AM
I'm sure that deep down there is some form of logic in this statement. Stuffed if I can find it though.

:roll:

Yep, and he could have gone the other way and bombed out, point being, he could have played a par 73 course and still broken 60, he had to have played good golf to score as he did.

Onewood
3rd August 2010, 08:45 AM
Everybody seems to be missing the most important part of this awesome achievement.
Print off a copy of apples score card and show it to your wife/girlfriend/partner and say,
THIS IS WHY I NEED TO PLAY 4 TIMES A WEEK FOR 11 WEEKS IN A ROW

(Maybe at our level in might be 7 days a week for 52 weeks in a row :) )

Bushka
3rd August 2010, 09:21 AM
and she'd say

"don't worry hon, i'm sure you can score at least 70 if that guy can score 58!"

or words to that effect...my missus still thinks the more you score the better you are at golf...as far as she is concerned i'm going for champion of the universe.

virge666
3rd August 2010, 10:52 AM

No way - Freddy would not be in my top 20 !!!

Sure it looks good, slow and powerful, but technically - the flying right elbow, crossed at the top and too much leg action. I do love how is always top 10 in distance in most PGA tour comps though... and the bloke is 50 !!!

Stuart takes it up the plane and down the plane and bombs it, if you copy that - you won't do much wrong.

3oneday
3rd August 2010, 11:31 AM
Sure it looks good, slow and powerful, but technically - the flying right elbow, crossed at the top and too much leg action.
do you sit there convincing yourself you could make these guys better/prettier golfers ? If everyone swung the same there'd be more robots then there are now.

sms316
3rd August 2010, 11:48 AM
Freddy has won a major and can't putt for shit. How many has Appleby won?

WBennett
3rd August 2010, 11:52 AM
Par 70, 7000 yards, featuring plenty of classic design holes (http://www.thegreenbrier.com/site/files/cm/File/pdf/2007Scorecard-OldWhite.pdf)

70 is 70. Nice shooting Tex

virge666
3rd August 2010, 12:00 PM
do you sit there convincing yourself you could make these guys better/prettier golfers ?

Seriously - is that the best you can do ?

Not at all... I simply said he has one of my favourite swings on tour and then stipulated why.

My preference is for compact and simple swings. Prettier / Better has nothing to do with it, Stuart looks very mechanical and almost ungainly on the follow-through, but as I said - straight up the plane and then straight down it, and he is an petrol head Aussie! What is there not to like ?

I also like how people add moves to a golf swing for reasons. Freddy has a bit of a dodgey back, so he flys the right elbow to give him more power/lag on the downswing. His first move down is always to drop that right elbow into his ribs and then drive hard with the legs. Sensational and powerful move and good for people who overswing the club. John Daly has the same move !

But the best part about Freddy is that he plays in boat shoes and still hits it 300 !

If everyone swung the same there'd be more robots then there are now

Never implied this or mentioned a love or hatred of Robots... unless of course they were pretty robots with simple and compact golf swings.

True dat ! The bit about putting is the amazing bit, not often a person who is a shit putter wins a major !

Pity Apples can't putt either...

Webster
3rd August 2010, 12:01 PM
Virge, have you ever met Appleby? Whats he like?

razaar
3rd August 2010, 12:20 PM
Bad putters don't win majors. Freddie was up there with the best putters when he was in his prime and when he won the Masters. Most here would have been crawling on the floor in those days or a twinkle in the sky.;)

Even today he is fun to watch, so laid back; his tempo has always been a thing of beauty.

Veefore
3rd August 2010, 01:22 PM
I love to watch Freddy's swing but you would never teach it to someone. He sets up aimed way left, takes the club outside and up high on the backswing then drops it way inside and drives though from inside to outside with a big leg/hip drive. If he didn't set up aimed way left he'd hit it at least one fairway over. He also hits it HARD with every swing. It may look smooth but that is only because his transition at the top from backswing to downswing is so slow. Going back and coming down those hands are moving FAST. He's a good putter too. Just a little shaky and lacking confidence on the short ones in the latter years.

And he is one of the most sly sledger's I have ever seen. I walked with him and Brad Macintosh, Stephen Leaney and Brett Rumford for a full practice round at the Vines once. A couple of well placed comments and he had Macintosh trying to belt the skin off the ball for the rest of the round.

virge666
3rd August 2010, 01:54 PM
Virge, have you ever met Appleby? Whats he like?

A couple of times... a good while back when I was in media and advertising, we chatted about cars, fitness and being with the Aussie ex-pats in the USA . . . seemed like an alright bloke, though I heard he can be a bit blunt and dismissive especially on the course.

You met him ? What did you think... ??

And he is one of the most sly sledger's I have ever seen. I walked with him and Brad Macintosh, Stephen Leaney and Brett Rumford for a full practice round at the Vines once. A couple of well placed comments and he had Macintosh trying to belt the skin off the ball for the rest of the round.

I like him more now !!

Webster
3rd August 2010, 02:00 PM
Virge, I've known him since he was about 15. Not really my cup of tea I'm afraid...

Tongueboy
3rd August 2010, 03:09 PM
i seen him interviewed by Andrew Denton on Enough Rope and he didn't do a lot for me.

virge666
3rd August 2010, 03:22 PM
Sort of begs the question - what kind of person do you have to be to be #1 in your field ?

Being it Golf, Rugby (any sport for that matter), academics, acting. I am sure there has to be a level of selfishness and self promotion/protection.

I have not met enough good golfers... but it seems from reports that the REALLY good ones are very self efficating.

Also the idea that our hobby is their job also makes it a different kettle of fish. Turning up to a golf tournament practice round and expecting someone who is concentrating on planning the week to be at your beck and call is like someone turning up to your office whilst you are in a heavy planning meeting and wanting to talk about golf.

I am sure there must be a balance, but I reckon it could be hard to get right, especially at that elite level where you dont get paid if you come 75th . . .

As for Apples - anyone who watched their wife die in front of them and managed to drag themselves out of bed for the next year . . . . f*cking amazing.

LeftyHoges
3rd August 2010, 03:29 PM
As for Apples - anyone who watched their wife die in front of them and managed to drag themselves out of bed for the next year . . . . f*cking amazing.

Amen to that.....

Jarro
3rd August 2010, 03:50 PM
Virge, just a quickie .....

... about Apples swing, it seems a little flatter than it has been previously.

Did you notice that ? And if so, why do you reckon he's done this ?? Is it something he's working on ??? What are this weeks lotto numbers ????

sms316
3rd August 2010, 04:34 PM
Appleby was a wanker long before he met Renae.

virge666
3rd August 2010, 04:52 PM
Virge, just a quickie .....

... about Apples swing, it seems a little flatter than it has been previously.

Didn't notice - madly looked up some swing sequences over the years to compare... but it looks about the same from here... he takes the club a little outside the hands on the way back in most of the sequences I saw so that usually means he is not going to have his hands to high above his head anyway...

Dunno mate - could be the camera angle.

McMw
3rd August 2010, 08:17 PM
Herre: I bet Appleby was just as excited to see so many putts go down.
He's the classic Aussie — ball-striking genius, not so hot on the greens.

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2008037-0,00.html#ixzz0vXL4J7Rh