PDA

View Full Version : Optus Vs Telstra

Veefore
29th July 2010, 10:40 PM
So I am thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 4 because I am sick of my old, hand-me-down Sony Ericsson.

I have been with Optus for 15 years now after major dramas dealing with Telstra. Also the Optus plan really does seem to be WAAAAAY better than the equivalent Telstra offering.

In that time I have rarely had coverage problems. Mostly I get the same or better reception than my parents with their Telstra phone. Most of my use will be city based but I do head out to the wheatbelt a dozen or so times a year.

I've heard plenty about the not-so-great reception of the iPhones and also the fact that it ISN'T a dual band phone which means I will be relying on the GSM network when up the country.

Has anyone used an iPhone 3G or 3GS in the Midland/Stratton and wheatbelt areas and can comment on the reception that they got?

Thanks in advance.

markTHEblake
29th July 2010, 10:50 PM
I've heard plenty about the not-so-great reception of the iPhones and also the fact that it ISN'T a dual band phone which means I will be relying on the GSM network when up the country.

The iPhone is supposed to support 3G on 850/900/1900/2100 spectrums. Optus uses 2100 in the cities and has around 12 months ago built a lot of 900mhz networks in country areas. it should be relatively easy to find out where these locations are.

Whilst optus is(was) very congested in the city, i would expect in the country it would be fantastic, as its possible people really havent caught on to this yet.

goughy
29th July 2010, 11:26 PM
The telstra plans have greatly improved in the last month. But tomorrow ill be trying to get opts to wave the last few months of my contract to get an ip4 on $59/month with $550 calls, I think it was unlimited SMS and 2gig data

Ned
29th July 2010, 11:38 PM
The telstra plans have greatly improved in the last month. But tomorrow ill be trying to get opts to wave the last few months of my contract to get an ip4 on $59/month with $550 calls, I think it was unlimited SMS and 2gig data

So despite all of the hoohah around the antenna thing etc, the iPhone4 is the way to go IYO goughy ? (Plenty of gadgets/progs/services/benefits)

goughy
30th July 2010, 12:53 AM
I'm left handed, so the antenna thing shouldn't be an issue for me. They say it mostly affects right handed people who subsequently hold the phone in their left hand and their palm can cover the little gap on the lower left of the phone, thus causing the antenna issues. And even then the reports I've read said it doesn't really affect that many. And since I'm aware of it I can avoid it. And since I was planning on having a protector on it the problem is negated.

When I last got a phone it was a toss up between what I got and the ip3. The ip3 didn't have some features I was after and the 3g was out of my price range. But now that you can get turn by turn navigation for it and the other changes It'll allow me to do away with one device. Also pocket informant is available for it now, which is a program I used to use on wm and will give me the calendar and tasks I like and use quite heavily.

So far I still haven't come across a phone which has everything I desire in the way I want. You just pick which is closest in your price range.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
30th July 2010, 10:03 AM

Thats an awesome deal!

Minor_Threat
30th July 2010, 10:05 AM
Thats an awesome deal!I just saw that deal myself and it is very tempting.

goughy
30th July 2010, 04:20 PM
No ip4's left today, but got to look at the galaxy and it was really nice. Might look at it instead. Good thing I know how to make my mind up!

MegaWatty
30th July 2010, 04:23 PM
No ip4's left today, but got to look at the galaxy and it was really nice. Might look at it instead. Good thing I know how to make my mind up!

Got to use a Galaxy the other day. It's not very intuitive and I struggled big time to use it.

markTHEblake
30th July 2010, 06:18 PM
Telstra are offering an extra 1gb on Business plans/Caps - which are the same as retail except for that bit.
They are strict on you having an ABN to get that plan.

Ned
30th July 2010, 07:13 PM
http://www.cnet.com.au/apple-iphone-4-339303698.htm

goughy
30th July 2010, 07:52 PM
The ip4 was pretty nice looking, and was pretty swish. Phones like the galaxy etc I agree aren't as user friendly, and even the other day rob tried to call someone using my current phone and couldn't even get the contacts up. But using the galaxy didn't faze me at all and at least I'd get my home screen with it.

I actually thought the iphone I tried was one of those not working phones with a picture on the top instead of a working screen. It does look different.

I've been looking around and there are also some apps to help sync your music from itunes and an android phone.

Ned
30th July 2010, 08:04 PM
Phones are like golf crubs, a bit of everything but never completely what you would like.

http://gizmodo.com/5573952/iphone-4-review

henno
30th July 2010, 08:26 PM
Phones are like women, a bit of everything but never completely what you would like.

FTFY

Ned
30th July 2010, 08:29 PM
Beauty!

goonie
31st July 2010, 04:10 PM
I just got a galaxy S this week and it is awesome, android is leaving iphone OS in the dust, the web browser and video abilities alone leave the iphone for dead, and the abiliy to customise the phone is great. I can finally view .wmv files people email me, and I can just drag and drop avi and MKV's straight on to it from any PC, no more itunes :-), and watch them.

goonie
31st July 2010, 04:13 PM
The iPhone is supposed to support 3G on 850/900/1900/2100 spectrums. Optus uses 2100 in the cities and has around 12 months ago built a lot of 900mhz networks in country areas. it should be relatively easy to find out where these locations are.

Whilst optus is(was) very congested in the city, i would expect in the country it would be fantastic, as its possible people really havent caught on to this yet.

Only the new iPhone4 works with the 900mhz Optus 3G network

Hux
31st July 2010, 04:30 PM
These debates get a lot like Ford vs Holden fairly quickly so this is not about iphone vs Android.

I upgraded my IP3GS to OS4 and its working fine. Then it was working fine before as well. Wish the camera had a flash though.

Do any cars have connections in them for anything other than iPhones/iPods? That is one thing that is quite sweet is that I can play muzak and charge the phone in the ute and since I never bought an iPod I now have my mp3's on hand all the time.

TheTrueReview
31st July 2010, 04:40 PM
A question. I have a 3GS iphone with Vodafone. The major aspect that keeps me with Vodafone (other than the plan) is that Vodafone is the only telco that will allow it to be unlocked mid-contract (of, course there's a fee involved). Thus, when I went to the US recently, I was able to take it unlocked, buy a prepaid sim card with T-Mobile & avoid the crazy charges of international roaming.

My question is -> if one's on contract with Telstra or Optus, is there a way of unlocking the iphone?

goonie
31st July 2010, 04:51 PM
A question. I have a 3GS iphone with Vodafone. The major aspect that keeps me with Vodafone (other than the plan) is that Vodafone is the only telco that will allow it to be unlocked mid-contract (of, course there's a fee involved). Thus, when I went to the US recently, I was able to take it unlocked, buy a prepaid sim card with T-Mobile & avoid the crazy charges of international roaming.

My question is -> if one's on contract with Telstra or Optus, is there a way of unlocking the iphone?

A guy I worked with last year got both his 3G and 3GS unlocked free mid plan with Optus.

goughy
31st July 2010, 06:19 PM
I've heard that through telstra, if you tell them at purchase time that you want to use it overseas and would they unlock it that they may do it. Don't know about optus, might try when I get my galaxy this week.

goonie
31st July 2010, 10:24 PM
It said in my contract that some phones are locked to the network but they can be unlocked at and Optus store.

TheTrueReview
31st July 2010, 10:28 PM
A guy I worked with last year got both his 3G and 3GS unlocked free mid plan with Optus.

It said in my contract that some phones are locked to the network but they can be unlocked at and Optus store.

Damn. I bought my iphone from Allphones who are dealers for all 3 telcos. At time of purchase, they told me that Vodafone is the only one that will unlock mid-contract.

markTHEblake
1st August 2010, 12:52 AM
I have heard people say that Three would unlock them, if you ask nicely enough.

idgolfguy
1st August 2010, 01:16 AM
Don't have to ask nicely. They do it anyway.

I'd wait until the next hardware release. This release is dodgy.

MegaWatty
1st August 2010, 10:35 AM
Don't have to ask nicely. They do it anyway.

I'd wait until the next hardware release. This release is dodgy.

Know a couple of guys that grabbed iPhone 4 day one. We were able to replicate the death grip, but whilst you're holding it that way you'd do a great job to be able to hold the phone to your head.

It's more of a media beat up. The unit is superb. The screen is awesome!

Telstra vs Optus? I had to have Optus release me from my contract due to the constant dropouts around Perth. Especially along the Graham Farmer. What a joke! Pay a few more bucks and get quality service.

Courty
1st August 2010, 10:54 AM
You can unlock the iPhone yourself by jailbreaking & unlocking. That's how I'm currently using my Telstra-locked iPhone on Optus.

Telstra wanted to charge me $150 to unlock the phone (purchased outright, not tied to any plan). A mate of mine rang Telstra and queried the $150. He was told they were just passing on what Apple charged them to unlock the phones. So he rang Apple and was told that what Telstra said was bull****!

idgolfguy
1st August 2010, 10:55 AM
Still prefer to wait till it's fixed. The existing IPhone serves it's purpose.