PDA

View Full Version : Best Golf Books

Flavzz
27th July 2010, 05:59 PM
Been reading up in the past 12 months and have learnt a hell of a lot that I didn't know about the swing and the game in general. I wish that I'd got them 10 years ago.

Books that I rate highly..

1. Steve Elkington - Five Fundamentals
2. Dave pelz - short game/putting Bibles
3. Arnold Palmer - play great golf

1 And 3 are very effective and teach u rock solid fundamentals of the total swing. The Pelz books are deeper but no less effective at helping u understand why things are the way they are and helping u to score better within 100yards.

What are some books which have helped ur game over the years?

Edit- I know lots of the modern books were developed from ben hogans books like modern fundamentals of golf which I also own and looks to be a great book but i haven't got through it yet.

Ferrins
27th July 2010, 06:33 PM
On Learning Golf by Percy Boomer
Any of those picture books by Jack
Little Red Book by Hervey Pennick
The Golfing Machine
I like Greg Norman's books also
Inside 60 yards
Up and down by Watson
Single figures in 10 weeks.

Courty
27th July 2010, 08:52 PM
The only one I own is Hogan's Five Fundamentals.

Yossarian
27th July 2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe that is your problem courty?

Courty
27th July 2010, 09:11 PM

On the contrary, if I can't get the fundamentals right, what's the point of worrying about the advanced stuff. ;)

Eldrick
27th July 2010, 09:14 PM
The only one I own is Hogan's Five Fundamentals.
recommended?

Courty
27th July 2010, 09:17 PM
recommended?

Yep.

KristianJ
27th July 2010, 09:49 PM

And not the motleys that coexist with him up in FNQ?

Hawkers2008
27th July 2010, 09:58 PM
Inner game of golf
Every shot must have a purpose
Stan Utleys books

Dcanto
27th July 2010, 10:01 PM
And not the motleys that coexist with him up in FNQ?

Hey! Just beacuse Solarman comes from FNQ doesn't mean you have to tar all of us with same brush. :razz:

markTHEblake
28th July 2010, 12:20 AM
Get a Grip on Golf - Peter Harris.

p.s. if any golfers in Cairns have come across this short tough bastard, with a big nose, a penchant for arm wrestling, telling stories about when he was a detective in the Cross, and fancies himself as an author let me know.

razaar
28th July 2010, 08:24 AM
The best book on technique in my library for those trying to understand the golf swing is "Advanced Golf" by Vivien Saunders. I should add that my library is quite extensive and includes books from the early 1900's. I have been researching the swing and the game the last 20 years.

marcel
28th July 2010, 12:22 PM
The Golf Course (later editions called 'The Architects of Golf') by Cornish and Whitten
Some Stan Utley book, not sure of the title

Flavzz
28th July 2010, 06:44 PM
Cheers for the list guys, will try add some of these to my collection in the future. Really enjoying reading atm so it's good to get some more stuff to lookout for...

TheTrueReview
28th July 2010, 07:54 PM
The best book on technique in my library for those trying to understand the golf swing is "Advanced Golf" by Vivien Saunders. I should add that my library is quite extensive and includes books from the early 1900's. I have been researching the swing and the game the last 20 years.

Razaar, I have "The Golf Handbook" by Vivian Saunders. I understand the one you have is out of print & can no longer be obtained. Do you know if there's similar or the same content in both books?

razaar
28th July 2010, 09:41 PM
Razaar, I have "The Golf Handbook" by Vivian Saunders. I understand the one you have is out of print & can no longer be obtained. Do you know if there's similar or the same content in both books?
The 'Golf Handbook" is a general guide about golf for players at all levels. "Advanced Golf" is directed at the advanced golfer with the emphasis on shot making and scoring. Second hand copies should be available on Amazon etc.

dave1
29th July 2010, 05:06 PM
Bob rotella...any..he has about 7 books by far the best books "putting is all about rolling the golf ball"....love that
Greg norman - way of the shark
ben hogan

Anthony87
29th July 2010, 07:00 PM
Picked up John Daly's "Golf My Own Damn Way" the other day for $6, its not a big read & its light on technical detail, but its a fun book that doesnt take itself too seriously & I've learnt a thing or two from it.

Minor_Threat
29th July 2010, 07:43 PM
Golf is not a game of Perfect - Bob Rotella
Golf is a game of Confidence - Bob Rotella

Boonie
30th July 2010, 09:21 AM
I've read and owned a stack of golf books over the years. The ones that have helped my golf the most and I always go back to are:

1. Nick Faldo - The Winning Formula
2. Bob Rotella - Putting Out of Your Mind
3. Steve Elkington - Five Fundamentals

'Bobby Jones on Golf' is also an underrated classic

Moe Norman
30th July 2010, 12:19 PM
I've never a read a golf book based around the swing or anything like that in my life. I might try it, thanks for the reccomendations!

Any good ones on chipping?!

Boonie
30th July 2010, 01:48 PM
Any good ones on chipping?!

Faldo's is excellent for chipping and pitching Moe

and Elks book has a great section on the grip FYI:wink:

Moe Norman
30th July 2010, 05:48 PM
The grip is untouchable Boonie, I'll never change!

Interested in the chipping/pitching though, and would be prepared to change grips for particular shots!

Flavzz
30th July 2010, 07:59 PM
Elks chapter on grip has changed my game for life. Can't believe I've played so long with such a poor grip. Not any more :)

Marto65
5th August 2010, 08:50 AM
Golf is not a game of Perfect - Bob Rotella
Golf is a game of Confidence - Bob Rotella

The first one is a great book ... haven't read any of his others.

markTHEblake
5th August 2010, 08:16 PM
I've never a read a golf book based around the swing or anything like that in my life.

Most golfers would say that reading instruction books does their head in.