PDA

View Full Version : Longest golf ball on market?

davepuppies
25th July 2010, 05:10 PM
We have a team entered in the Holden Scramble in August, and i want to buy us a box of 2 piece rocks that we can use off the tee on par 4s and 5s.

what is the longest ball on the market today?

I was thinking a pinnicle or top flite titanium something or other

sol381
25th July 2010, 05:23 PM
they use pinnacle in the remax long drive comp so i guess it would be that. just remember tho if its an official comp. you cant change balls during a round.

markTHEblake
25th July 2010, 05:40 PM
just remember tho if its an official comp. you cant change balls during a round.

The rules of golf do not distinguish the difference between official comp and otherwise, so could you please advise where you get this rule from?

Flavzz
25th July 2010, 06:49 PM
u still have to get the ball in the hole so not sure if a 2 piece rock is really gonna help all that much....no?? Unless ur only using it on long drive holes?

virge666
25th July 2010, 07:21 PM
Pinnacle Gold by memory is the longest !

terrys
25th July 2010, 07:37 PM
The rules of golf do not distinguish the difference between official comp and otherwise, so could you please advise where you get this rule from?

I believe it is a PGA Tour rule where the player must use the same make and model of ball for the entire round. There is a story going around that Tiger nearly got caught by this as he uses a special proto nike made just for him and he only had one ball left after dumping one in the water one round as he'd left some spares back at the hotel room.

As you rightly point out, it doesn't apply to us.

sms316
25th July 2010, 07:57 PM
The "one ball" rule is a condition of play - not a rule as such. As far as I am aware it is not a condition of the Scramble, but then, neither is counting.

:smt108

LarryLong
25th July 2010, 08:03 PM
Why not just kick them an extra 20m like everybody else does in the Holden Scramble?

Hawkers2008
25th July 2010, 08:07 PM
You can't swap/change your ball during the play of a hole unless it has become damaged/unfit for play during the play of that hole. In the absence of a "one ball" condition you can change between the play of holes.

Buried in the conditions of entry somehwere is a note about which rules apply as per the book and what other ones have been varied. You would need to check hese to see if substituting balls is allowed. Its possible that it is because in some situations it may be more pracatical to play from one ball and round the others up later, eg if you have to take the short hitters drive.

Johnny Canuck
26th July 2010, 12:53 AM
There are no official rules that apply to ambrose in looking from an R and A perspective.

You can easily argue that if you pick up your ball in an ambrose, you are taking it out of play. It is not that you are marking it to be replaced. You can then substitute any ball for the original that has been picked up in the same manner that you can substitute a ball when taking an unplayable.

sol381
26th July 2010, 07:21 AM
mmm ok didnt know that. i know in some pro tourneys they need to keep the same make of ball, mate of mine is a pro here in qld and was told by him, but years ago when i was playing sunday comp at keperra i was told a few times i couldnt change ball. maybe the bastards who told me that were the only ones changing balls.

Scottt
26th July 2010, 07:40 AM
Literally speaking, the longest golf ball you can buy is this:

http://images.travelpod.com/users/bgallagh/3.1264559601.golf-cross-ball.jpg

Measuring its horizontal axis, it's considerably longer than a traditional golf ball. :D

David Williams
26th July 2010, 07:52 AM
Total waste of time trying to get an extra couple of meters off the tee in an Ambrose. You'll achieve an extra 5 metres maximum and driving it a little longer isn't how you win an Ambrose.

Straight drives, close shots into the green and lots of holed putts! Long driving is no great advantage.

TheTrueReview
26th July 2010, 09:44 AM
Aim for the cart path perhaps? Bound to get amazing distance. :razz:

Hawkers2008
26th July 2010, 09:52 AM
There are no official rules that apply to ambrose in looking from an R and A perspective.

You can easily argue that if you pick up your ball in an ambrose, you are taking it out of play. It is not that you are marking it to be replaced. You can then substitute any ball for the original that has been picked up in the same manner that you can substitute a ball when taking an unplayable.

Actually you are not entitled to substitute a ball when taking relief from an unplayable lie nor are you entitled to substitue when replacing a previously marked ball.

The Holden Scramble has a detailed set of rules (which nobody reads) for the event. These are a mix of some of the normal rules of golf and some of their own modifications. Whether you can validly substitute or not depends on whether the events rules permit substitution.

Sydney Hacker
26th July 2010, 09:57 AM
Total waste of time trying to get an extra couple of meters off the tee in an Ambrose. You'll achieve an extra 5 metres maximum and driving it a little longer isn't how you win an Ambrose.

Straight drives, close shots into the green and lots of holed putts! Long driving is no great advantage.

That's the biggest one in any ambrose. The team that putts the best wins !

Johnny Canuck
26th July 2010, 10:32 AM
Actually you are not entitled to substitute a ball when taking relief from an unplayable lie nor are you entitled to substitue when replacing a previously marked ball.

The Holden Scramble has a detailed set of rules (which nobody reads) for the event. These are a mix of some of the normal rules of golf and some of their own modifications. Whether you can validly substitute or not depends on whether the events rules permit substitution.

You can substitute a ball when taking an unplayable. See rule 28C (http://www.randa.org/en/Rules%20and%20Amateur%20Status/Rules%20of%20Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=28)and consult a rule book before you try calling someone out:wink:.

I never said that you could substitute when replacing a previously marked ball.

Hawkers2008
26th July 2010, 11:34 AM
Sorry about that.

You are absolutely correct about unplayables. I missread what you said about marked balls.

Johnny Canuck
26th July 2010, 11:50 AM
The unplayable one was one that I never knew until looking something up a few months back. I think it is a rule that a lot of people are not aware of. I've been meaning to do it in a comp to see what kind of a reaction that I get from the group.

Hawkers2008
26th July 2010, 12:29 PM
I have invoked it in the past. I had a total brain fade when I responded.

It makes sense - it covers the occasional situations where you can identify your ball but can't recover it eg its up a tree and you can see it but can't reach it as well as to save time in situations where you have hit ball to a place that isn't lost but you don't want to play from, eg you skull a chip through a green and its now flush up against the fence.

Its much easier to say you can substitute from any unplayable lie than its to say you can substitute from an unplayable lie if a or b apply.

Johnny Canuck
26th July 2010, 12:53 PM
I guess we should answer Dave's question so that we don't get accused of threadjacking.

Dave, Pinnacle Gold are used by the long drivers. I also like Titleist DT Carry as I can use a little assitance with height in trying to carry corners, etc.