PDA

View Full Version : Online golf anyone?

terryand
26th April 2005, 09:05 PM
Can't remember which thread and who started it, but some of you where wanting to play each other in computer golf but some didn't have the software.

Heres the answer.

My mate George (some of you know and have played golf with)put me onto this today.

www.shot-online.com

You have to register (its free).

Had a quick look tonight, doesn’t look to bad, graphics look pretty good, looks like at a glance it could take some getting into, but that could just be me wanting to go to bed.

Terry.

Those PC golf gurus amongst us have alook and see if it will do what the masses wanted

Fishman Dan
26th April 2005, 09:15 PM
You forget the bit where you say "Oh, and it's a 200 mb download". ;)

I'm downloading mine, not sure what to expect.

terryand
26th April 2005, 09:28 PM
Oops,sorry. It took me about 11 minutes to download on cable.

Jarro,it can be played on dial up if you take the 1,324 hours to download it :wink:

Terry.

3oneday
26th April 2005, 09:51 PM
Jarro,it can be played on dial up if you take the 1,324 hours to download it :wink: someone duck over to his house and start it while he's at work :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
26th April 2005, 11:13 PM
Looks like it's some kind of rock'up'n'play thing with anyone on the internet. Meant to be some sort of online golf-world.

I've registered as Fishman - post your handle if you sign up and download the software.

Grunt
27th April 2005, 09:49 AM
Ok I'm in, just one problem as I have dial up I should be able to play on the 31st of June 2031.
:lol:

Fishman Dan
27th April 2005, 09:53 AM
Download died last night at about 80 mb, so will need to re-try tonight. Anyone else get dumped due to some major outage? It was working this morning.

Fishman Dan
28th April 2005, 06:44 PM
Ok - Plenty of downloading, so only really broadband people here will try this.

It's a 200 mb download to start. It's been unbearably (undownloadably? Is that a word?) slow the last couple of nights (6-10 kb/s), probably because it's based in Korea and that's when their servers are busy. The download has dropped out twice recently. I tried again this morning and got full speed (50 kb per second - 512k ADSL), and it took abit over 90 minutes?

When you first install and connect, there are more update files (16 at the moment), and they're pretty hefty too.

If you have a small cap, don't try this at home. I can send you the initial 200 meg install file if you want (on disc, in the mail - not e-mail Jarro :roll:) and then all you need to do is get the updates as they happen. The game is still in development i think, so there will be further downloads as it grows.

Totally free at the moment, but i wonder if that's going to change.

macleod
29th April 2005, 09:58 AM
nab download accelerator or something if their server handles "resume" so your interrupt can be continued

Fishman Dan
29th April 2005, 10:17 AM
I got it all done last night - the 16 updates were about 35 mb. I'll have a look tonight and see if i can isolate those particular files to avoid the extra download. Again - this would have been quicker in the morning as opposed to peak server load in the evening.

It's pretty fancy in there, you stroll around with numerous other people. You earn money and experience points, buy new stuff, earn more money, and buy more stuff. You start with a handicap of 28 and no ability, and the more you play the more you can build on your base skills.

The golf is the standard 3-click Links-type swing. The game itself is pretty good, takes some getting used to the short game and putting. You turn up at the 'course' and someone will host a game, and you can jump in. Played with a Froggie, a Pole, a Kiwi and a couple of Aussies last night.

Life's good for us DINK's ;) :lol:

Courty
29th April 2005, 02:00 PM
If you have a small cap, don't try this at home. I can send you the initial 200 meg install file if you want (on disc, in the mail - not e-mail Jarro :roll:)

Go on, Fishy. Email it to jarro. That would be FUNNY! :P :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen: :smt005 :smt043 :smt046 :smt024

Jarro
29th April 2005, 04:59 PM
If you have a small cap, don't try this at home. I can send you the initial 200 meg install file if you want (on disc, in the mail - not e-mail Jarro :roll:)

Go on, Fishy. Email it to jarro. That would be FUNNY!  :P  :lol:  :twisted:  :mrgreen:  :smt005  :smt043  :smt046  :smt024

hey :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :smt062 :smt021

Courty
29th April 2005, 11:03 PM
Go on, Fishy. Email it to jarro. That would be FUNNY!  :P  :lol:  :twisted:  :mrgreen:  :smt005  :smt043  :smt046  :smt024

hey  :!:  :!:  :evil:  :evil:  :smt062  :smt021

Oops. Busted! :shock: :oops: