PDA

View Full Version : I'm a driver ho...someone talk some sense into me...

AP81
12th July 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi guys,

I've been through so many drivers in the past 18 months that I've lost count.

The funny thing is that I always come back to my Callway FT-3 Fusion Tour. I just seem to hit this club so well.

Given that almost every driver pushes the .83 COR boundary these days, I guess being a driver ho is realy a big waste of time. It really comes down to a combination of shaft/feel. The only positive that has come from all my hoing is that I have hit a lot of shafts and have gained a lot of knowledge in this area.

In my sights I have the following:
Taylor Made Superquad (tour), Adams 9015D, Adams 9032LS, Ping G15.

I've hit the G15- One of the best feeling clubs I've hit, but I didn't care much for the Aldila Serrano shaft. I haven't hit either of the Adams but going on a whim I think they'll both be great clubs. The superquad- well something is just telling me to get one. This leads to another problem- 9 times out of 10 I will end up reshafting, which will cost more $$$.

Should I just give up and stick with my FT-3? Or should I just keep on hoing?

Anyone else been down this path?

macjackass
12th July 2010, 10:15 AM
I've got a mint g15 with a project x 5.5 in 10.5 i could be tepmted to part with :)

AP81
12th July 2010, 10:25 AM
I've got a mint g15 with a project x 5.5 in 10.5 i could be tepmted to part with :)
How much you want for it?

chappy1970
12th July 2010, 10:41 AM
I hardly think the members of this forum are going to talk you out of being a HO. If anything they could probably give you some pointers

BrisVegas
12th July 2010, 10:44 AM
Stick with the FT3. I see a few guys on tour still using them, so they can't be all that bad.

henno
12th July 2010, 10:49 AM
Remember that the COR is measured on the sweet spot. If you miss the absolute middle of the club often (which is likely for most of us) then what's more important is the COR of the areas surrounding the sweet spot.

Oh, and it has to have Tour stamped on it, otherwise it's shit. ;-)

KristianJ
12th July 2010, 10:54 AM
Stick with the FT-3, I reckon. Having gone through half a dozen drivers myself over this past year, I've come to the conclusion, as you have, that it's the shaft/feel that matters in the end. If Graeme McDowell won the US Open with an FT-3 (and I saw this morning during the John Deere Classic telecast that Shaun Micheel uses one), it still must be OK given the fact it's an older driver.

9015D you've probably read a bit about - be prepared to play around with different shafts if you want to find the best result.

EDIT: Didn't see Dion's response beforehand, but I'm pleased that he agrees. :p

3oneday
12th July 2010, 10:57 AM
Someone talk sense into me, like that'll happen here !

It's a dead set disease, once you start it won't stop. It may slow every now and then, but it won't stop :(

AP81
12th July 2010, 10:57 AM
Yes, it has become a costly exercise- I hate to think how much I have spent (and lost)! The commonsense thing would be to stick with the FT-3. Last round I hit 15 out of 18 fairways (avg. 250 to 275m), which I think is pretty good.

I wish it was easier to buy just heads as well...it would save me a lot of headache. I rarely keep a stock shaft on a driver.

I know I shouldn't start another question within this thread, but anyone tried the Alpha V5 LX head? Looks popular on the tour.

macjackass
12th July 2010, 11:00 AM
This is just my opinion but I can not stand the ft-3. Maybe it was just the crappy shaft it had in it.

Captain Nemo
12th July 2010, 11:01 AM

Scott, whats that shaft play like?

macjackass
12th July 2010, 11:07 AM
Scott, whats that shaft play like?

If I was playing there is no way I would even contemplate trying to offload it. It's a great combo, although I thought ping with serrano was pretty decent also. When I got it I was tossing up between it and the cobra (not the s2 but the other new one). I hit the cobra alll over the place and the ping was very consisitent. I think it is medium launch and low spin, smooth also, similar to a blueboard maybe.

AP81
12th July 2010, 11:08 AM
This is just my opinion but I can not stand the ft-3. Maybe it was just the crappy shaft it had in it.

The Vista Seventy Pro is actually a reasonable shaft, the other stock shafts they come with are crud. The impact sound of the FT-3 is like dropping a can of soup on a concrete floor. I just can't argue with the distance and consistency I get with it.

macjackass
12th July 2010, 11:14 AM
The Vista Seventy Pro is actually a reasonable shaft, the other stock shafts they come with are crud. The impact sound of the FT-3 is like dropping a can of soup on a concrete floor. I just can't argue with the distance and consistency I get with it.

Couldn't be as bad as the nvs (I think) that was stock. As someone else mentioned, I think the new drivers would be way more forgiving.

dave1
12th July 2010, 11:17 AM
yes I have been to several DA sessions...... (drivers anonymous)

I have driver problem can you help me :mrgreen:

solution...ignore launch monitors and advice from people.....and yes that means forums too

think shaft over head.......in other words use your brains over you ermm other parts......

LOL....seriously though shafts are the key.......

that said i have just been cured from getting cobra s9-1 pro S model......

and that was sitting in someones shed......

LarryLong
12th July 2010, 11:26 AM
Last round I hit 15 out of 18 fairways (avg. 250 to 275m), which I think is pretty good.

I think that's the bit that made me laugh the hardest. You're beyond help if you're hitting 15 fairways and you STILL want a new driver. :)

Asking for somebody on OzGolf to talk sense into you when you have a hoing problem is like travelling to Belgium to cure a chocolate addiction. Aint gonna happen. :)

AP81
12th July 2010, 11:45 AM
I think that's the bit that made me laugh the hardest. You're beyond help if you're hitting 15 fairways and you STILL want a new driver. :)

Asking for somebody on OzGolf to talk sense into you when you have a hoing problem is like travelling to Belgium to cure a chocolate addiction. Aint gonna happen. :)

Hahaha.

I've hit 18 out of 18 fairways with a Nike Sumo SQ 5900 before. I just didn't like the square head & the feel of the club. I'm actually not a that good golfer...play of 16 to 18. I can't shot shape, but I can drive really straight, and hit most of my irons (apart from 3 iron) very straight. My driving is probably the best part of my game (along with chipping). I usually drive within a couple of degrees (left or right) & find the fairway every time. When I go to the range, 90% of my time is spent on driving.

The funny thing is after punching a drive dead centre and outdriving all my playing partners, I regularly duff my fairway wood.

I played a round with a pro once... outdrove him of 13 of 18 holes, but 3 putted a number of holes, and shanked several of my second shots from the fairway. He said if I fix my putting and fairway shots, I would be single digits no problem.

Maybe I should work on the problematic parts of my game, rather than buying so many drivers. I can't help it though...love the feeling of bombing a good drive.

macjackass
12th July 2010, 11:57 AM
Hahaha.

I've hit 18 out of 18 fairways with a Nike Sumo SQ 5900 before. I just didn't like the square head & the feel of the club. I'm actually not a that good golfer...play of 16 to 18. I can't shot shape, but I can drive really straight, and hit most of my irons (apart from 3 iron) very straight. My driving is probably the best part of my game (along with chipping). I usually drive within a couple of degrees (left or right) & find the fairway every time. When I go to the range, 90% of my time is spent on driving.

The funny thing is after punching a drive dead centre and outdriving all my playing partners, I regularly duff my fairway wood.

I played a round with a pro once... outdrove him of 13 of 18 holes, but 3 putted a number of holes, and shanked several of my second shots from the fairway. He said if I fix my putting and fairway shots, I would be single digits no problem.

Maybe I should work on the problematic parts of my game, rather than buying so many drivers. I can't help it though...love the feeling of bombing a good drive.

After reading that I should be trying to sell you the the putter, rather than the driver :?

razaar
12th July 2010, 12:34 PM
Here's a tip...don't play golf, just go to the driving range and hit driver shots.

henno
12th July 2010, 12:38 PM
If you can drive well, hit your irons well and chip well, why the heck are you playing off 16-18 again?

BrisVegas
12th July 2010, 12:51 PM
Are there no par 3's on your course??? :lol:

AP81
12th July 2010, 01:00 PM
Here's a tip...don't play golf, just go to the driving range and hit driver shots.

I only play once a month. The rest of the time is spent at the range.

AP81
12th July 2010, 01:01 PM
If you can drive well, hit your irons well and chip well, why the heck are you playing off 16-18 again?

I suck at putting. I can't hit my fairway/hybrid consistently.

AP81
12th July 2010, 01:05 PM

Yep, and I usually nail them. Hit the flagstick on the last game, ball was 2 feet away. ended up two putting.

wazandnic
12th July 2010, 01:51 PM
I love this stuff... the hoing...

and the talking it up! ;)

. Last round I hit 15 out of 18 fairways (avg. 250 to 275m), which I think is pretty good.

If you can get those stats playing once a month and just going to the range you should get on the PGA tour. Average distance there this year is approx. 260m right in your range! And they play and practice much more than you to be able to get those averages???

:)

This is what I thought BV... how do you hit 18 out of 18 fairways when there are generally 4 par 3's??

3oneday
12th July 2010, 02:03 PM
By going the "bunt" ;)

Eag's
12th July 2010, 03:06 PM
Hahaha.

Yes, it has become a costly exercise- I hate to think how much I have spent (and lost)! The commonsense thing would be to stick with the FT-3. Last round I hit 15 out of 18 fairways (avg. 250 to 275m), which I think is pretty good.

I wish it was easier to buy just heads as well...it would save me a lot of headache. I rarely keep a stock shaft on a driver.

I know I shouldn't start another question within this thread, but anyone tried the Alpha V5 LX head? Looks popular on the tour.

Let me get this straight, your driving average is equal to tour Pro's, you hit your irons very straight and you chip well? Do you putt with your eyes closed or something?
You do realise that rounds on Tiger Woods Playstation 2 don't count right??

kingslayer33
12th July 2010, 03:16 PM
You do realise that rounds on Tiger Woods Playstation 2 don't count right??

Are you implying Eag's that my ave. score around St.Andrews of 56 (on Tiger Woods PGA Tour for iPhone) is not realistic of what I would actually shoot?

Dotty
12th July 2010, 05:19 PM
We need a poll ... 'What is AP81's given name? Adam, Vijay or Sergio'

ps. And post #18 has all the sense you need.

AP81
12th July 2010, 05:50 PM
I love this stuff... the hoing...

and the talking it up! ;)

If you can get those stats playing once a month and just going to the range you should get on the PGA tour. Average distance there this year is approx. 260m right in your range! And they play and practice much more than you to be able to get those averages???

This is what I thought BV... how do you hit 18 out of 18 fairways when there are generally 4 par 3's??

Umm, lots of people drive in the 270s, long drivers in the 300s. All I pretty much practice is driving, 7 iron, PW. When I say 250 to 275... 275 is maybe one hole in 18.

Yes, 18 out 18. In other words, all fairways. I am at work, people do make mistakes.

henno
12th July 2010, 05:56 PM
Umm, lots of people drive in the 270s, long drivers in the 300s.

Of course. I am not the shortest hitter going around and could comfortably hit them 270 all day when giving it a slap (pre shoulder injury obviously), but I'm always sacrificing length for accuracy.

Hitting fairways is routine for 180-straighteys (ala Shazza) and hitting it long is nothing for the long-dogs (ala nudgee) but doing both is a rare talent.

AP81
12th July 2010, 06:00 PM
250 is not long. Of everyone I play with, 220 to 240 seems to be average.

henno
12th July 2010, 06:05 PM
There is a huge difference between a 220-240 average and 270+; don't let the simplicity of the decimal numeral system fool you.

TourFit
12th July 2010, 06:23 PM
AP81...you drive well. You seem happy with that, and practice a LOT on that part of your game. High % FW hit, and at greater than average distance. So, FORGET about drivers for a moment...

Your problem, as stated, is your putting AND your FW/Hybrid play. SORT THIS PART OUT !!!!

1) Whatever driver you have, based on feel and playability of shaft etc etc , try a fairway head that will allow you to do what you need to do (loft and face profile etc), with a shaft that MATCHES your driver !!! Same swingweight, same grip @ same thickness. Think...irons all match in a set therefore, woods = set????

2) Use the same shaft (or from the same family of shafts) for your hybrid, OR ALTERNATIVELY, shaft your hybrid with a shaft that matches your irons. In other words match the hybrid as part of your wood set or part of the iron set.

This will help a little with your consistency.

Seems to me that your getting a 'knee reconstruction for your shoulder injury'...or barking up the WRONG tree. Stop being a driver ho for a moment and become a FW ho for a while...

AP81
12th July 2010, 07:03 PM
AP81...you drive well. You seem happy with that, and practice a LOT on that part of your game. High % FW hit, and at greater than average distance. So, FORGET about drivers for a moment...

Your problem, as stated, is your putting AND your FW/Hybrid play. SORT THIS PART OUT !!!!

1) Whatever driver you have, based on feel and playability of shaft etc etc , try a fairway head that will allow you to do what you need to do (loft and face profile etc), with a shaft that MATCHES your driver !!! Same swingweight, same grip @ same thickness. Think...irons all match in a set therefore, woods = set????

2) Use the same shaft (or from the same family of shafts) for your hybrid, OR ALTERNATIVELY, shaft your hybrid with a shaft that matches your irons. In other words match the hybrid as part of your wood set or part of the iron set.

This will help a little with your consistency.

Seems to me that your getting a 'knee reconstruction for your shoulder injury'...or barking up the WRONG tree. Stop being a driver ho for a moment and become a FW ho for a while...

Finally, someone who is taking me seriously.

1) For some reason I find it hard hitting off the grass with a fairway/hybrid. I have a very aggressive swing, my mis-hits are shocking, i.e. top the ball, wrong fairway. This is my undoing. Because of this I play with regular flex for for fairway/hybrid, and try and keep good tempo. I've been told to slow my swing down and play percentage, but I doubt I will ever do this.

2) I have different shafts/grips and clubs for my fairway and hybrid, so worth looking into. It is a swing fault for sure.

3) Whist what your saying is true, I play golf to drive. If I had a good enough SS for long drive, I'd compete in the blink of an eye, but I don't so I'll settle on being able to outdrive my friends every hole.

Regardless, I've ordered an Adam's Speedline 9032LS. The last of my hoing for a while.

I don't understand what everyone is finding this so hard to believe...I hit 200-300 balls every week at the range. I actually practice a lot...90% of it on driving. I average 200 to 210 carry at the range with range balls.

80% of drives on the fairway is good- but if you saw how bad my drive mishits are (i.e. wrong fairway), and my fairway/hybrid shots are, I'm sure you'd be laughing. My putting is shocking as well. 3 putting at a birdie opportunity...

Anyway, this thread is off topic. I'll start experimenting with some shafts, and whilst I can't improve my drives, I can still try and find a head that has the ultimate feel.

Cheers guys.

uahmad
12th July 2010, 07:06 PM
AP81 you problem is you're driver. Easy fix.

You can gain another 20m easily if you buy my Adams 9015d. its 9.5deg standard matrix stiff shaft.

You can have it for $130 or $100 for the head...

henno
12th July 2010, 07:10 PM
Your problem is the lack of a Power Balance band. And snake oil. You need more Snake Oil.

In fact, rub Snake Oil on your Power Balance band. BOOM!

razaar
12th July 2010, 07:20 PM
henno,does this seem dwayneish to you.:lol:

oncewasagolfer
12th July 2010, 07:23 PM
your problem is the lack of a power balance band. And snake oil. You need more snake oil.

In fact, rub snake oil on your power balance band. Boom!

roflol:smt038

kingslayer33
12th July 2010, 07:24 PM
:smt038Champagne post Henno.:smt038

TheNuclearOne
12th July 2010, 09:09 PM
Given your love for the FT-3 you have surely ho'd an FT Tour this year?

If not it could well be the ticket

;)

BrisVegas
12th July 2010, 09:21 PM
I am not the shortest hitter going around and could comfortably hit them 270 all day when giving it a slap (pre shoulder injury obviously), but I'm always sacrificing length for accuracy.

Always?!?!? :LOL:

henno
12th July 2010, 09:26 PM
Always?!?!? :LOL:

Oops, I mean sacrificing accuracy... or something.

Hux
12th July 2010, 09:36 PM

I've played courses with 3 par 3 and some with more but never have I been on a course with no par 3 or that require a driver taken for someone who hits 250-275m :-)

Maybe when we talk fairways hit it means any fairway not just the one for the hole you are playing....like out west where the only thing to stop your ball is a lost goanna :-)

AP81
13th July 2010, 12:37 AM
I've played courses with 3 par 3 and some with more but never have I been on a course with no par 3 or that require a driver taken for someone who hits 250-275m :-)

Maybe when we talk fairways hit it means any fairway not just the one for the hole you are playing....like out west where the only thing to stop your ball is a lost goanna :-)

Dude, get over it. I was posting whilst busily working on other projects at work...wasn't really focused on what I was writing here. Hit 15 of 18 fairways...I missed three fairways last game, but in my head was thinking 18 holes - 3 missed fairways. Seriously, make as much fun as you want.

Ned
13th July 2010, 12:48 AM
:roll:

3oneday
13th July 2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah Dude, sheesh !

Hux
13th July 2010, 05:46 PM
Sorry duuuude but I never thought par 3's had a fairway - so if you missed 3 fairways and there are 4 par 3's then you actually hit 11 fairways ??

And yeah we do have fun....all the time often at other peoples expense don't be so fragile dude.

wazandnic
13th July 2010, 06:19 PM
And yeah don't be down on yourself because it is only 11 of 14... that is still 78.57% which would be leading the PGA Stats this year... great stuff!

But yeah best advice I can give is practice the other parts of your game, keeping hitting those pins, and turn pro... there's heaps of money to be made and then you can Ho all you like and not have to spend a cent on the drivers ;)

:roll: :shock:

AndyP
13th July 2010, 06:33 PM
Your problem is the lack of a Power Balance band. And snake oil. You need more Snake Oil.

In fact, rub Snake Oil on your Power Balance band. BOOM!Frame-worthy.

AP81
13th July 2010, 11:22 PM
And yeah don't be down on yourself because it is only 11 of 14... that is still 78.57% which would be leading the PGA Stats this year... great stuff!

But yeah best advice I can give is practice the other parts of your game, keeping hitting those pins, and turn pro... there's heaps of money to be made and then you can Ho all you like and not have to spend a cent on the drivers ;)

:roll: :shock:

Pro's can hit fairway woods. Last game, in fear of my fairway wood I decided to use a 3-iron. Ended up hooking it onto the road and the ball followed two people jogging down the bike path. No chance of being a pro...ever!
That last game was my best driving game ever. Freakishly good. Realistically, I'm more like 50% fairway, else I find the rough in a pretty good playable area.

Oh, and for the record, the time I hit all fairways (a few borderline rough) I was playing a Nike Sumo SQ 8.5* with an 3X flex shaft (wasn't my club, and was far too much club for me). Couldn't hit that club much more than 190 to 200m. I probably would have hit further with a 3 iron off a tee. Doesn't count in my book.