PDA

View Full Version : Kokoda Challenge 2010 - Gold Coast

Iain
9th July 2010, 06:44 PM
I know I've told a couple of people about this, but next weekend (17th-18th July) I'm competing in the Kokoda Challenge (www.kokodachallenge.com). A 96km bush walk through the Gold Coast Hinterland that supports the KCYP (http://www.kokodachallenge.com/youth-program).

The Kokoda Challenge is Australia's premier bushwalking team event where teams of 4 people trek a 96km course through the Gold Coast Hinterland within a 39 hour time limit.* The event* is held on the 3rd week of July every year with registrations open on February 1, 2010.
The event was designed to reflect the key elements of the Spirit of Kokoda - with 96km representing the actual distance of the Kokoda Track and the 39 hours symbolizing the 39th Militia who were the first of our Australian troops to arrive at Kokoda on 15th July 1942.
The four person teams are required to advance through 14 checkpoints to the finish line. At designated checkpoints teams are able to take a break and regroup with the help of their support crew.
The route incorporates 5000 metres of ascent and 5000 metres of decent throughout the course.* There is no doubt that those who take*up the Kokoda Challenge*will need to call on the spirit of ANZAC that was born in Gallipoli and held fast in Kokoda - ENDURANCE, SACRIFICE, COURAGE and MATESHIP.

I know Ryan (Senecio) has competed in it the last couple of years, this will be the first time for myself and my teammates. I'll be participating with my fiancé Joelle and 2 mates from the gym, Sue and Steve.

Due to the high number of pullouts in the event, our main goal is to get to the finish together, as teams that don't finish with all 4 members are ranked below any that finish together.

So far we've raised $1200. If any Ozgolfer's would like to donate to this worthwhile cause in "sponsorship" of our team, please go to Kokoda Challenge-Donate Online (http://www.kokodachallenge.com/donate-online) and nominate Team 308, Maximize Fitness - Highway to Hell.

Grunt
9th July 2010, 10:30 PM
Iain, Can we donate next week?

Low cash at the moment but will donate next week if possible.

Good luck with it mate. Might be something for me to challenge myself with once i actually finish a Hawkesbury Classic. :)

AndyP
10th July 2010, 01:48 PM
Best of luck with it, Iain. I'm sure you've done all the training to get there, but it will still be a a tough challenge.

senecio
10th July 2010, 05:33 PM
All the best with it Iain. I'm disappointed not to be involved in it this year. A fantastic event run for a great cause.

Keep your phone handy, its amazing how uplifting an SMS from your mates can be at 1am and 65Km into it.

Iain
10th July 2010, 07:27 PM
Iain, Can we donate next week?

Low cash at the moment but will donate next week if possible.

Good luck with it mate. Might be something for me to challenge myself with once i actually finish a Hawkesbury Classic. :)

Yeah, no problems Grunt. Donations can be made up until August sometime.

Thanks, actually looking forward to it.

Iain
10th July 2010, 07:31 PM
All the best with it Iain. I'm disappointed not to be involved in it this year. A fantastic event run for a great cause.

Keep your phone handy, its amazing how uplifting an SMS from your mates can be at 1am and 65Km into it.

Yeah, good point Ryan, I'll have my mobile with me for sure. I can't believe how many people do it over and over again!!

Best of luck with it, Iain. I'm sure you've done all the training to get there, but it will still be a a tough challenge.
Thanks AP, yeah I think we've got the training sorted, it will certainly be the mental challenge that will sort us out I think. Hopefully we're good I that respect, although we won't know until the day.

BrisVegas
12th July 2010, 08:08 AM
Good luck Iain. Hope you all have a safe time.

Iain
13th July 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Dion.

AndyP
19th July 2010, 12:39 PM
Are you alive? How did it go?

Iain
20th July 2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, still alive. And not very good. Our team was all out just before 70km. Although we all were out in the 60's...

Blisters got me.

Although it does mean I'll likely be back next year to finish it....

Grunt
20th July 2010, 07:20 PM
Bad Luck Iain

I know the feeling of wanting to go back and have another go next year. I am doing the same with the paddle.

AndyP
20th July 2010, 08:01 PM
That will get you motivated for the next one. How were the rest of the team holding up, Iain?

Iain
22nd July 2010, 02:00 PM
That will get you motivated for the next one. How were the rest of the team holding up, Iain?
Cheers, Andy. Yeah, hopefully to be running quite a but more then, so that will help too. Just have to find some team mates.

Joelle's knee's were stuffed after about 35kms, so she did well to make it to 70km. And the other guy's calf blew up at about 50k, so he just made it to 63km.

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 02:18 PM
Bloody hell! You were all cripples.