PDA

View Full Version : Dave from WA

dave1
9th July 2010, 12:56 PM
Hi all new to Oz golf.....other forum was a little quiet at times but will remain loyal to it as well

Play and member at Albany WA (a links course which is WA's oldest course) and a real challenge

cap 7-8...improving over last year...aim to get to 5 whenever it happens

family...2 boys 3 and 5

my age 40

golfing philsophy.....grip and smash and taking 3 wood is boring and worry about consequnces later :lol:

How much do i love golf...I have never pulled out of a comp no matter how bad the weather and in Albany its bad..rather shoot 100 than pull out

AndyP
9th July 2010, 01:16 PM
Welcome Dave. Enjoy our forum.

mike
9th July 2010, 01:22 PM
Cool. Another one.

Golfnut
9th July 2010, 01:45 PM
Welcome dave1.....great philosophy...........I'm with you re. weather conditions and Golf, it's like pizza, when it's bad it's still goooood.

The WAnker numbers a building :)

Dcanto
9th July 2010, 01:45 PM
Greetings from one Dave to another.

Veefore
9th July 2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome Dave1.

I'm very different to you. I play golf for fun. When it stops being fun, I'm outta there. I almost never play in the rain.

Johnny Canuck
9th July 2010, 02:28 PM
Shooting 92 in the freezing cold was fun?

MegaWatty
9th July 2010, 02:36 PM
Hey Dave. Welcome over to OG.

I'm thinking a trip to Albany for an OzGolf day is on the cards!

Still loving the Mizzies?

Yossarian
9th July 2010, 03:55 PM
Welcome dave, your keyboard seems to work better over here ;)

KristianJ
9th July 2010, 04:50 PM
Good to see you over here, Dave. :)

Veefore
9th July 2010, 04:51 PM
Shooting 92 in the freezing cold was fun?

No. And I won't be doing it again.

No more golf in the rain and no more golf in the cold (after 1st August) ;)

kingslayer33
9th July 2010, 04:53 PM
Welcome Dave.

TourFit
9th July 2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Dave1...welcome.

I went to school in Albany for 3 years (lived in Denmark), and you're the same age as me, are you a native...? (or how long you been there?)

LOVE playing in Albany...one of the few true links courses in WA, although it is slightly different due to it being kikuyu !!

bergsey
9th July 2010, 06:08 PM
Welcome Dave, i think you probably played with a few of us here at The Cut a while back? so plenty of familar faces here to make you feel at home......

Just don't join Hartfield which seems to be the current in vogue thing to do :)

MegaWatty
9th July 2010, 06:12 PM
All the cool kids are doing it. ;)

dave1
9th July 2010, 06:35 PM
Hey Dave. Welcome over to OG.

I'm thinking a trip to Albany for an OzGolf day is on the cards!

Still loving the Mizzies?

yeah still love the mizzies...benn through more drivers than I care to remember but finbnally found a good one S9-1 by cobra (pro s model)

happy to organise a day here....just wait 3 months untill the artic freeze passes

tommorrow...rain squalls with hail min 7 max 11 sw winds at 56km ph

dave1
9th July 2010, 06:36 PM
Welcome Dave, i think you probably played with a few of us here at The Cut a while back? so plenty of familar faces here to make you feel at home......

Just don't join Hartfield which seems to be the current in vogue thing to do :)

yeah that was fun day..kinda fun watching balls sail off into the sand dunes.......

nah based here down south and love it

dave1
9th July 2010, 06:39 PM
Hi Dave1...welcome.

I went to school in Albany for 3 years (lived in Denmark), and you're the same age as me, are you a native...? (or how long you been there?)

LOVE playing in Albany...one of the few true links courses in WA, although it is slightly different due to it being kikuyu !!

yeah it plays all of its length at 6100...plays like 6500...I love seen guys bang on about how far they hit it and then come here and they battle to hit 210 here LOL

tough greens to hit here also....small...and wind well.... :-((...nah love this track...very unique challenge

dave1
9th July 2010, 06:45 PM
nah grab can or two of "harden up".......

ITS never bad wether just wrong choice of clothing

I seriously invested last year in good rain gear Cross brand....

cut of some arms from an old wetsuit...they are my skins in winter......goretx shoes...decent beanie...FK wintersof gloves and way you go......and decent attitude.....

If I didnt play in the rain here you'd miss half the year in Albany!! and be stuck at home wwith zillion jobs and the wife nagging me "when will that be finished"?...rather stand in the cold and wet......

Courty
9th July 2010, 06:59 PM
Welcome Dave!

hocko
9th July 2010, 07:16 PM
Welcome Dave1.

I'm very different to you. I play golf for fun. When it stops being fun, I'm outta there. I almost never play in the rain.
'cause i might get my hat wet :lol:

Welcome Dave1 another west aussie to add to the mix.

Dotty
9th July 2010, 07:42 PM
Welcome Dave.

Veefore
9th July 2010, 10:46 PM
'cause i might get my hat wet :lol:

Welcome Dave1 another west aussie to add to the mix.

Hey, straw hats don't like the rain either. I have to wear a boring cap like everyone else. Actually, I did get in trouble two weeks ago for not wearing the uniform cap when I tee'd off in my Pennant match. Apparently a purple beanie doesn't match the clubs colours.

I have been to Albany 6 or 7 times in my life and only once was it not raining. The whole day I was trying to figure out what was so different about the place. :)

hocko
9th July 2010, 11:04 PM
Doesn't match????? What are they on about?
I was told i had to wear a hat during pennants. I don't normally wear a hat, so that'smy excuse for not having such a great start to the year.

MegaWatty
9th July 2010, 11:07 PM
Did they supply with you a club beanie?

TourFit
9th July 2010, 11:45 PM
Hartfield only supply the Club Beige Cardigans...

idgolfguy
9th July 2010, 11:47 PM
Good to catch up with you here, N.

What took you so long?

dave1
9th July 2010, 11:56 PM

What took you so long?

Not sure.....LOL...

good forum....more usewrs and more flow of topics.....well pop into the "other" but this will be home track I think

hows the golf going...?

dave1
9th July 2010, 11:58 PM
Did they supply with you a club beanie?

nah picked up mizuno beanie for 5 bucks on the bay of E

not a bad idea though

MegaWatty
10th July 2010, 12:06 AM

not a bad idea though

Whoops! I meant that for Veefore who got in trouble wearing a non-club beanie in penants.

Here's a few things to take note about Ozgolf...Threads relating to WA very rarely stay on track.

There is a multi quote button....next to the 'reply with quote' button, you just tick the little plus and then click 'reply with quote' on the last one...check it in my next post...

MegaWatty
10th July 2010, 12:08 AM
Hartfield only supply the Club Beige Cardigans...
Funny guy!

What took you so long?
Nice guy ID.

Not sure.....LOL...

good forum....more usewrs and more flow of topics.....well pop into the "other" but this will be home track I think

hows the golf going...?
You obviously know him.

not a bad idea though
A misunderstanding. ;)

TourFit
10th July 2010, 12:29 AM
"Here endeth the lesson..."

MegaWatty
10th July 2010, 12:38 AM
We didn't really need another 6 months ala NUFFIE now did we?

dave1
10th July 2010, 10:59 AM
oops......my etiquette needs brushing up ... :mrgreen:

if someone told me I couldn't wear a beanie.......it might get ugly.....

I have convinced our club to order some beanies with our club logos.....Im on our promotions and membership committee...so far so good...members are supportive...should be here in 2 weeks

either that or freeze to death :lol:

Cosmopolite
10th July 2010, 12:17 PM
oops......my etiquette needs brushing up ... :mrgreen:

if someone told me I couldn't wear a beanie.......it might get ugly.....

I have convinced our club to order some beanies with our club logos.....Im on our promotions and membership committee...so far so good...members are supportive...should be here in 2 weeks

either that or freeze to death :lol:
Dave I am sure beanies are warranted in Albany. It has been so cold in Perth so I hate to think what it is like down there. I have had to dig out thick overcoats, gloves, thermals etc this winter. ugh I hate winter.

TourFit
10th July 2010, 03:23 PM
You need a nice warm bottle of "harden the f**k up", Cosmo...:mrgreen:

Cosmopolite
10th July 2010, 10:38 PM
You need a nice warm bottle of "harden the f**k up", Cosmo...:mrgreen:

well I bought a bottle of scotch today, hopefully that will suffice!

TourFit
10th July 2010, 11:16 PM
Will do nicely...get a nice hip flask and you'll discover that 18 drams will fit into it. Enough for one per hole.

Cosmopolite
10th July 2010, 11:40 PM
Will do nicely...get a nice hip flask and you'll discover that 18 drams will fit into it. Enough for one per hole.

would be good if I didnt have to drive home from golf though

dave1
11th July 2010, 01:49 AM
you need good gear here just to survive...I found an old wetsuit in an opshop......I cut the arms from it....these are my "arm skins" when its cold......they look thick...but man you can still swing and they keep your arms warm....

wear those FJ wintersoft gloves (on each hand)......

and 3 cans of harden up :lol:

Nuffie
12th July 2010, 10:37 PM
Welcome to ozgolf Dave. I remember you from the day down at The Cut last Sept, when you said you had come all the way from Albany.

I bet your home course down there is tough, especially at this time of the year. You'd prob find it easier everytime you come up here and play our metro tracks in Perth.

dave1
14th July 2010, 01:36 AM
yeah the wind and rain isnt pretty

but love the town....

looking fwd to playing the cut again one day

Webster
7th November 2012, 07:41 AM
Dear dave_1,

Please come back to Ozgolf. We all miss you very much. The place just isn't the same without you.

I hate having to go back to ISG for my daily dose of your zany antics.

Love, Jack.

Monsta
7th November 2012, 07:49 AM
nah grab can or two of "harden up".......

ITS never bad wether just wrong choice of clothing

If I didnt play in the rain here you'd miss half the year in Albany!! and be stuck at home wwith zillion jobs and the wife nagging me "when will that be finished"?...rather stand in the cold and wet......

Welcome Dave,

I agree, being from the Nation's Capital, if we didnt play when it was a bit chilly we would only play about 3 months of the year. It is invigorating to get out there and walk around when the temp is only just above freezing..:o

Ashes
7th November 2012, 08:59 AM
Welcome Dave,

I agree, being from the Nation's Capital, if we didnt play when it was a bit chilly we would only play about 3 months of the year. It is invigorating to get out there and walk around when the temp is only just above freezing..:o

You're welcoming a guy who joined years ago and is no longer on here?

Monsta
7th November 2012, 09:43 AM
You're welcoming a guy who joined years ago and is no longer on here?

Ok now I feel like an idiot !!! We are a bit slow in Canberra, just look at Mr Bennett......

WBennett
7th November 2012, 01:29 PM
Oi. I was the first person to have the Albany Idiot on Ignore.

BenM
7th November 2012, 01:54 PM
Welcome Dave,

Off topic but I played all my junior golf at Belconnen... not sure if it's changed or not but the first used to be a downhill par 5 with a great big gum tree in the middle of the fairway. I have fond memories of teeing off early on frosty Saturday mornings when it was misty, it was like teeing off into a sea of white, and you couldn't see the bottom of the tree really, just the top section......

WBennett
7th November 2012, 07:34 PM
Ben - 1 is still the same. They carved the rest up 15 years ago now I suppose for the housing development.

I played there earlier this year and it was in decent nick. Belconnen Magpies FC own the course now and ensure its in good condition.

BenM
7th November 2012, 09:38 PM
Awesome to know! I knew Magpies had taken it over from the website etc but haven't played there for nigh on 20 years. It was a pretty good course for a public track in those days. Back when it only cost $99/yr to be a junior member... and I could still go and practice iron shots on the local ovals before the fun police stopped all that.

I'm going to be up in CBR in a couple of weeks, trying to organise a hit with a couple of high school mates I used to play with, not sure if they will be organised enough to book anything but hopefully we can get on for a bit of nostalgia golf.

WolfieTed
12th November 2012, 02:49 PM
Welcome mate.

I'm new here myself. I got to love your attitude. I played through the storms a few weeks ago. I'm with you, rain or shine I'm game for a game. Being from England makes it easier for me to tolerate the rain mind you... :D

dc68
12th November 2012, 06:07 PM
Haha