PDA

View Full Version : Forum falls over at midnight. - (admin: Closed)

markTHEblake
25th April 2005, 12:43 AM
I have been noticing this for ages but until lately i have only begun to notice the time its happening. Seels like every time I am on the forum late at night, it fails for around 3-4 minutes. Like the page times out trying to open. Tonight it happened at 12.02am and i am sure that it always happens at midnight.

Its very strange for this to happen, no web server should be getting rebooted like clockwork, if thats what its doing.

Could be a backup I suppose.

Suggest looking into it, becuase its not normal.

AndyP
25th April 2005, 12:26 PM
Do I have to stay up until midnight though? :smt015

markTHEblake
25th April 2005, 01:34 PM
you clown. i am simply pointing out that something might be wrong.

AndyP
26th April 2005, 12:09 AM
The clock strikes 12.... and there is definitely an issue with the site.

"Connection refused when attempting to connect to ozgolf.net"

Jarro
26th April 2005, 12:39 AM
i had no troubles logging in just now :?

McMw
26th April 2005, 01:27 AM
happens once in a while for me...

around the 9-10pm mark for me (perth time)...

but it also happens once in a while during the day time...

markTHEblake
26th April 2005, 07:57 AM
sorry for having to make you stay up.
yep, at 12.06 my time i couldnt access it.

If its a Ozgolf initiated backup, it shouldnt be run until about 4am, the usual time for system maintenance stuff. Then again i cant see why a backup should cause that.

if its the web host doing something else, then its a crappy service.

AndyP
26th April 2005, 11:01 AM

If its a Ozgolf initiated backup, it shouldnt be run until about 4am, the usual time for system maintenance stuff.  Then again i cant see why a backup should cause that.

I was up anyway. Monday is the one night that I have a late one.

It was down from 12:00am until 12:08am, as can be seen from me not being able to get the post through until 12:09am.

The OZgolf initiated backup is not done on a time basis, as far as I know.  It is triggered to backup after every X posts.

Which means may be the web host.

Fishman Dan
26th April 2005, 11:25 AM

If its a Ozgolf initiated backup, it shouldnt be run until about 4am, the usual time for system maintenance stuff.  Then again i cant see why a backup should cause that.

I was up anyway.  Monday is the one night that I have a late one.

It was down from 12:00am until 12:08am, as can be seen from me not being able to get the post through until 12:09am.

The OZgolf initiated backup is not done on a time basis, as far as I know.  It is triggered to backup after every X posts.

Which means may be the web host.

What backups are performed - so the board might perform a nightly dump to a file as a backup, but is there a tape-backup in the machine as well that writes that file to tape?

That would take system time away from running the board.... if so, schedule the tape backup for 3 or 4am.

AndyP
26th April 2005, 11:34 AM
What backups are performed - so the board might perform a nightly dump to a file as a backup, but is there a tape-backup in the machine as well that writes that file to tape?

That would take system time away from running the board.... if so, schedule the tape backup for 3 or 4am.
:smt102

Beyond the scope of what I have been doing.
The only backup I know of, is the one that I described which occurs after every 10 posts (I think). This is a backup to a file on the local host.

I have already PM'd clikchic to bring this topic to her attention.

markTHEblake
16th July 2005, 12:14 AM
Someones watch has broken. Forum fell over at 11.55pm tonight, very strange.

McMw
4th August 2005, 12:04 AM
not sure if it's a 2 hour time difference btw perth and the east coast, but the forum couldn't link up at 10pm WST...

AndyP
4th August 2005, 07:26 AM
Happens for only a few minutes too.

clikchic
7th August 2005, 01:42 PM
Hey Guys!

I did ask the hosting company about this before but forgot to post it and what their answer was, so asked again, and they do their backups at midnight every night which is what causes the down time. A pain in the bum! I suggested they change it to 4am but they weren't budging...

At least it is only a few minutes. :-)

Robyn