PDA

View Full Version : Pests in the walls!!

goughy
7th July 2010, 10:50 AM
Living a bit in the stick, I can put up with the odd field mouse that's finding it's way inside in this cooler weather. But I've heard one in the walls today, and I'm not sure what's the best way to get it out? Will a trap up there sucker it out?

Had some fun a few months ago ripping some ply wood up outside. Looked down and saw a mouse skipping along a few feet from me. Thought that was gutsy of it to get so close, until I saw the brown chasing it. Scared the living shit out of me!

virge666
7th July 2010, 11:18 AM
Brown snakes are a great form of pest control, they get rid of cats and possums too.

Much like huntsmen spiders and cockroaches.

Huntsmen spiders don't kill you though . . . so I would go for rat traps.

IanO
7th July 2010, 11:23 AM
Yup ... rat trap vs brown snake? Rat trap every time :lol:

PeteyD
7th July 2010, 11:23 AM
RAt bait.

IanO
7th July 2010, 11:24 AM
Although a good cat can do the job on both the mouse and the snake

Jarro
7th July 2010, 11:28 AM
Get some rat bait Goughy.

We use the Talon stuff and it's fine.

goughy
7th July 2010, 12:19 PM
Doesn't smell when you have a dead mouse in the walls?

moree golfer
7th July 2010, 12:21 PM
I would go for traps and then you haven't got the stench. We had a mouse plague last year and our office stunk of rotting mice in the ceiling with no way of finding them.

Jarro
7th July 2010, 12:35 PM
Doesn't smell when you have a dead mouse in the walls?

Yes it would no doubt.

Are you sure it's mice and not rats that you have in the roof ?

I would go for traps and then you haven't got the stench. We had a mouse plague last year and our office stunk of rotting mice in the ceiling with no way of finding them.

Good point.
We had rats in our roof and the baits were the best option for them.

PeteyD
7th July 2010, 01:13 PM
They leave the building to die. Not sure why but it works. The only issue we had was one stuck in the between floors ceiling cavity which was smelly for a while.

Jarro
7th July 2010, 01:19 PM
They leave the building to die because they're looking for water.

The poison makes them thirsty. So unless you've got water in your roof, they should leave.

well, most of them should anyway.

PeteyD
7th July 2010, 01:28 PM
There you go, ask the pest master!

CobraSS
7th July 2010, 01:34 PM
Where's the "Exterminator" when you need him?

Eldrick
7th July 2010, 01:40 PM
Where's the "Exterminator" when you need him?

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/king-of-the-hill/images/dale-gribble-1.jpg

Chris32
7th July 2010, 04:50 PM

The poison makes them thirsty. So unless you've got water in your roof, they should leave.

well, most of them should anyway.

We put rat bait down in the garage and the bastard chewed through my heater hose in the car to get a nice drink of coolant!

terrys
7th July 2010, 08:20 PM
On our farm its Cats 11 - Snakes 0, though one cat has been to the vet for an overnight stay and some adrenalin after 9 bites to the chin and neck. He still killed it though.

Cats work good for rats and mice as well. We have lots of both as they live in the 100s of bales of hay we have.

I use the bulk talon baits. Get some wire, put 6 or 7 baits on it, and tie it off. That way you have something to hold on to so you can throw them to the far reaches of the roof cavity or under the house if you don't want to go climbing in there.

As said above, most times they will leave looking for water, and if one does die in the cavities, they will stink for a day or so. In winter its not so bad though. Summer is not fun though!

MegaWatty
7th July 2010, 10:30 PM
We put rat bait down in the garage and the bastard chewed through my heater hose in the car to get a nice drink of coolant!

Problem solvered.

mike
7th July 2010, 11:45 PM
Get some rat bait Goughy.We use the Talon stuff and it's fine.

Years ago when I was renting I baited a rat (a white one. Must've been somebody's pet) and it died in the wall cavity. After a week of unspeakable stench I was damn near ready to rip the weather boards off to get at it. We went on a week holiday instead and came back to no more smell.
Phew.

MegaWatty
7th July 2010, 11:55 PM
You make me laugh.