PDA

View Full Version : Shaft expert help for 3w

Eca
6th July 2010, 08:22 PM
Hi all, looking at putting a diamana on my 3w & installation on MRC site says for standard performance on fairway wood:

Blind Bore - ½" Tip.
Bore Through - No Tip. Insert shaft to 2" depth.

"bore thru" = 0" BBGM?
So if 3w head has 1" BBGM then i tip the same amount?
Thanks in advance.
Eric

Golfnut
7th July 2010, 12:12 AM
Tourfit....where are you???

Johnny Canuck
7th July 2010, 12:25 AM
if you don't hear from tourfit or virge, drop fit a pm.

virge666
7th July 2010, 11:04 AM
Which 3W are you putting it into...

do you understand blind bore and borethrough ?

Where is your shaft from ?

Eca
7th July 2010, 12:33 PM
Which 3W are you putting it into...

do you understand blind bore and borethrough ?

Where is your shaft from ?

Virge, been trying to shop in oz but ended up buying from US Fleabay, should be here in a week. It's going in my CB3 15*.
Seem to be no real standard when i read around the traps especially with blind and 'standard bore. Thru bore however I have to assume 0" BBGM.

Shaft is not pulled yet but it looks like from tip of hosel to ground is only 1.5" and bore depth will likely be .75 to 1". This will give me .5 to .75 BBGM. I read that exotics have pretty shallow bore depths.

Now MRC site says "Bore Through - No Tip. Insert shaft to 2" depth. Are they assuming that tip of hosel to ground is 2" and is he standard bore depth for thru bore?

I just took the bore thru = no tip part so whatever the bbgm, i tip it that much for standard or an extra .5" to make it firm.

am i wrong in my assumptions?
thanks
Eric

Eca
7th July 2010, 01:16 PM
Virge, I just measured tip of hosel to Ground & it's 2" so i may have to go actual BBGM = tipping. More than likely a 1" bore depth (standard?) = 1" tipping?

virge666
7th July 2010, 03:09 PM
Virge, I just measured tip of hosel to Ground & it's 2" so i may have to go actual BBGM = tipping. More than likely a 1" bore depth (standard?) = 1" tipping?

not quite mate - it is actually a ot easier than that.

Driver - do not tip.
3 wood - tip one inch
5 wood tip 2 inches.
7 wood - buy a hybrid shaft.

Easy. . .

TourFit
7th July 2010, 03:13 PM
Agreed...if the BBGM is 1" then trim 1" in this case to get a standard playing flex.

(ie: the bottom of the shaft tip would be 'higher' from the ground in a standard bore than in a blind bore and would thus be softer).

Imagine drawing a line across the shaft at 5" from the tip...if it goes in a bore thru then that line will be 5" from the ground...a blind bore would put the marked line at 5.5" from the ground and a standard bore would make it 6" + from the ground.

TheNuclearOne
7th July 2010, 05:14 PM
What Diamana did you get?

Eca
7th July 2010, 05:18 PM
Tourfit, so if this happens to be a blind bore 1.5 bore depth & bbgm is only .5" then really I only need to tip .5" to play to flex accdg to MRC specs? (just to confirm my understanding)

Eca
7th July 2010, 05:19 PM
What Diamana did you get?

Ilima 80s

TheNuclearOne
7th July 2010, 05:41 PM
What's your driver SS and tempo like?

Eca
7th July 2010, 06:09 PM
What's your driver SS and tempo like?

Tbh no idea. I hit this 3w 240-250m tee 230 deck. Stock shaft feels like a noodle. 3/4 swing smooth. I got told I'm underestimating at 104mph as I lag a lot and really powers at the bottom. I just got a bushnell & learning my distances now. Carry 7i 150m about 10m diff per club.
Not sure if that helps.

TheNuclearOne
7th July 2010, 06:33 PM
I'd be tipping a good inch and leaving it 1/2 longer than it is stock in case you need more tipping later. With the 3' P.T.S. and pretty short insertion of the CB3 you'd still have at least 1/2 to play with. If it played ok you could just lop 1/2 off the butt. Remember too the TEE heads are notoriously light.

You'd likely be verging on X flexes? Surely at the top end of stiff at least. I see you play that in your Devotion.

TourFit
7th July 2010, 07:43 PM
Great advice TNO...

With those figures I'd concur...assuming that it is a std bore & BBGM, trim 1" and play at 43.5". If the flex turns out OK then butt trim 1/4"-1/2" off (being midful of the light head and corresponding swingweight). If you could handle it stiffer, then pull the shaft and do the 1/4"-1/2" off the tip.

If the BBGM ends up as a blind bore (I don't think they are), then SUBTRACT the 1/2" from the initial trim...and do the same exercise, and leave 1/2" on the length to start with.

GOOD LUCK.

Eca
7th July 2010, 08:50 PM
Sounds like a gr8 idea leaving it 43.5 for options. I'll tip whatever the bbgm & see. Looks like I have to leave the 5g lead plug on the sole cavity.

Thanks so much to all that chimed in, really appreciate it.

Btw TNO = John?

TheNuclearOne
7th July 2010, 10:52 PM
Sounds like a gr8 idea leaving it 43.5 for options. I'll tip whatever the bbgm & see. Looks like I have to leave the 5g lead plug on the sole cavity.

Thanks so much to all that chimed in, really appreciate it.

Btw TNO = John?

Yeah mate, that's me. Let us know how it goes, tho with that shaft, head and approach i think you'll be pretty happy.

mike
7th July 2010, 11:06 PM
With those figures I'd concur...assuming that it is a std bore & BBGM, trim 1" and play at 43.5". If the flex turns out OK then butt trim 1/4"-1/2" off (being midful of the light head and corresponding swingweight). If you could handle it stiffer, then pull the shaft and do the 1/4"-1/2" off the tip.

If the BBGM ends up as a blind bore (I don't think they are), then SUBTRACT the 1/2" from the initial trim...and do the same exercise, and leave 1/2" on the length to start with.

+1

The Guru

MegaWatty
7th July 2010, 11:21 PM
+1

The Guru

You really know your stuff!!!

mike
7th July 2010, 11:22 PM
TF rings me for advice all the time.

MegaWatty
7th July 2010, 11:29 PM
TF rings me for advice all the time.

Talks alot eh?

Eca
7th July 2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah mate, that's me. Let us know how it goes, tho with that shaft, head and approach i think you'll be pretty happy.

Will do John. Had to check 'other' PM as ur bag is so different lol

Eca
7th July 2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks again all. I feel comfortable now with this project.

mike
7th July 2010, 11:35 PM
Happy to help.

TourFit
7th July 2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks Guru...

Don't know why you spend so much time getting ME to post your answers? I know you're shy but...;)

TheNuclearOne
8th July 2010, 10:04 AM
Will do John. Had to check 'other' PM as ur bag is so different lol

I'd better update it sometime across the board hahaha.