PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Balls

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 01:58 PM
Yes. Of the golf variety!

Does anyone actually balance their balls? Wishon has a YouTube vid on how to do it using the floating method and of course there is the spinning device.

Does anyone actually believe in it?

mike
4th July 2010, 02:05 PM
no

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 02:08 PM
no

Go Dragons!

Daves
4th July 2010, 02:10 PM
I am pretty sure Boz has commented on this one somewhere before. Basic gist is a decade or two ago it was something the pros tended to do (or it was done for them) due to variations in manufacture. But today's manufacturer tolerances are so much better that there is no real benefit in balancing any more.

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 02:12 PM
I do remember Boz talking about it. Couldn't remember the outcome. I think they're X Rayed these days.

mike
4th July 2010, 02:22 PM
I assume balancing balls is for putting, in which case it would only make a difference if the putting surface was more than perfect.

Waste of time.

Cheers

The Ozgolf Equipment Guru

adlo
4th July 2010, 02:33 PM
Dear Guru,

The real question is, do you hunny dip your balls?

Avid supporter

mike
4th July 2010, 02:43 PM
Dear Avid Supporter,

Only when absolutely necessary.

Cheers

sms316
4th July 2010, 02:48 PM
Dear Guru,

The real question is, do you hunny dip your balls?

Avid supporter

Dear Avid Supporter,

Only when I want to get freaky.

Cheers

:-s

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 02:48 PM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/MikesBook.jpg

mike
4th July 2010, 02:57 PM
Hmm. Almost deserves it's own thread.

mike
4th July 2010, 02:58 PM
MW, back to the serious side of this, is it for putting?

adlo
4th July 2010, 02:59 PM
Hmm. Almost deserves it's own thread.

Do it.

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 03:02 PM
When I said Wishon, I meant Maltby...

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads/35999-Do-you-balance-your-golf-balls/page3

TheBoz_fromOz
4th July 2010, 04:22 PM
Old idea that can show a heavy spot in manufacturing and will effect both putting and full shots.

Xray's are not used now as the solid balls are much closer to perfect ( depending on the source).

Hardly anyone is doing this in regards to performance, we do it to check up on the opposition.

Cheers, Boz.

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 04:24 PM
Hardly anyone is doing this in regards to performance, we do it to check up on the opposition.

And what do you find???

sms316
4th July 2010, 04:34 PM
Do you find a difference between white and coloured balls?

IanO
4th July 2010, 06:19 PM
I was given a ball balancer (golf variety) by my boys last year for my birthday. I read some of the guff written by Dave Pelz in his putting bible book about how it will help the ball roll true when putting. (It works by spinning the ball at some freakish rate with the heavy spot moving to the horizontal point. You put the tip of a permanent pen in a little hole and it gives you a line around the circumference).

Anyway, with the help of the 15 yr old, I balanced a dozen balls and then marked a dozen in the same way without balancing them. I then spent an hour on my carpet and then an hour on the practice putting surface trying to compare the roll. The net result was that I could see no discernible difference between the way they rolled. Maybe the Pro's putting stroke is so pure that they can tell the difference, but with the modern ball I think it is a waste of time.

TheBoz_fromOz
4th July 2010, 07:35 PM
Hi MW, Its interesting that you will find the thermocast covered balls (US) might have a small issue whereas
the TPU injected covered balls (Japan) have less of one, but as Ian mentioned there isn't enough in it to worry.

Hi SMS, the visibility of the yellow ones when in the solution is better. :-)

Cheers, Boz.

razaar
4th July 2010, 08:19 PM
Robert Allenby always has a dot marked on his ball that he always faces directly upwards when he can get his hands on it. I always thought the dot was the result of a ball-balance process. If I was playing each week for obscene money, I wouldn't leave anything to chance, especially a ball that may have a touch of bias.

Veefore
4th July 2010, 10:56 PM
Yes. Of the golf variety!

Does anyone actually balance their balls? Wishon has a YouTube vid on how to do it using the floating method and of course there is the spinning device.

Does anyone actually believe in it?

I used to do it because some of the early solid and nearly all of the wound balls were quite unbalanced. Some were REALLY bad. I stopped doing it when I got to about my third dozen that were all "perfect". I think it was the Wilson "true" series of balls that actually forced the rest of the manufacturers to take a better look at the way they were making balls.