PDA

View Full Version : Removing spikes

MegaWatty
3rd July 2010, 01:10 AM
God damn!

I'm pretty good at removing spikes including using a drill to make the holes grab easier, but I'm stuffed if I can get the spikes out of my Powerband 3.0s!!!

And to make matters worse, one has managed to make it's own way out of the shoe!

It looks like a new locking system. Anyone know what the new locking system is?

EDIT: looks like it's called PINS and has been developed for ADIDAS by SoftSpikes, so I'm guessing Champ spikes are out of question. http://softspikes.com/Default.aspx?tabid=511

Still can t get the pricks out. I think a drill gently into the centre and pliers will be the way to get them.

sms316
3rd July 2010, 07:11 AM
Slide a steak knife in there and cut the bugger off.

Jarro
3rd July 2010, 07:35 AM
Some one on here once said to sit the soles of your shoes in hot water for a little while to soften the spikes up and make them loose.

I tried it and it worked for me :)

henno
3rd July 2010, 08:46 AM
Some one on here once said to sit the soles of your shoes in hot water for a little while to soften the spikes up and make them loose.

I believe that was razaar and yes it worked for me too!

terrys
3rd July 2010, 09:06 AM
or just give them a little blast with a heat gun on low. that loosens them up.

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2010, 09:57 AM
I also use the hot water method. I've always thrown a little dish soap in the water as well. I don't know if it helps or not. I turn the spikes back and forth, clockwise/anti-clockwise to loosen them even more, before they finally give way.

MegaWatty
3rd July 2010, 10:59 AM
Cheers everyone.

We talking hot from the tap or hot from the kettle?

This PINS system looks like they go in pretty tight.

bergsey
3rd July 2010, 11:03 AM
Agree with the guys above re hot water. Have always got out the most stubborn plastic spikes with this method

Put a couple of cm of hot tap water in the bottom of the laundry trough (just enough so that water doesn't get into the rest of the shoe).

Leave a half an hour or so then give it a go. The hot water breaks down all the built up gunk

razaar
3rd July 2010, 11:10 AM
Cheers everyone.

We talking hot from the tap or hot from the kettle?

This PINS system looks like they go in pretty tight.
Kettle...it will stay hot longer.;) Hosing down the soles after a round is a good habit to get into.

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2010, 11:25 AM
Agree with Raz. I use boiling water. I also sprayed some WD40 on the spikes this time before I put them in. I'll see if that helps with the removal the next time.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
3rd July 2010, 11:52 AM

+1. Did the hot water thing las night and definitely got the buggers off.

razaar
3rd July 2010, 01:44 PM
Agree with Raz. I use boiling water. I also sprayed some WD40 on the spikes this time before I put them in. I'll see if that helps with the removal the next time.

JC

All petrolem products including WD40 react with fertilizer. Big chance there will be some chemical reaction if moisture penitrates the plastic threads. Let us know how it works out. Might be something that melds plastic to plastic.;)

henno
3rd July 2010, 02:39 PM
JC

All petrolem products including WD40 react with fertilizer. Big chance there will be some chemical reaction if moisture penitrates the plastic threads. Let us know how it works out. Might be something that melds plastic to plastic.;)

Silicon spray should be alright though. WD40 + plastic is not a good mix, generally.

rodders
3rd July 2010, 02:46 PM
I believe that was razaar and yes it worked for me too!
+3 best thing I have ever read on this website!

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2010, 03:29 PM
JC

Silicon spray should be alright though. WD40 + plastic is not a good mix, generally.

All part of my plan to intimidate my pennant's opponent with my smoking feet.

Thanks for the advice, I might have to remove them and give them a good wipe down tonight.

Jarro
3rd July 2010, 03:48 PM
Use Vasoline instead of WD-40 when you replace the spikes

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2010, 03:50 PM
I'm sure Yoss has some that I can borrow. On second thought, I'll get my own.

Cheers Jarro.

TourFit
3rd July 2010, 07:28 PM
Never had the problem of having to remove/replace spikes...I just have so many shoes that they get little wear !!!

MegaWatty
3rd July 2010, 07:31 PM
I just picked up some new spikes from Adidas which has a new style wrench that locks into the spikes differently. Adidas have obviously done this for a reason. I wonder what that would be...$$$?

TheTrueReview
3rd July 2010, 08:39 PM
Use Vasoline instead of WD-40 when you replace the spikes

Isn't Vasoline a petroleum based product? Same risk as WD40??

MegaWatty
3rd July 2010, 09:51 PM
I just picked up some new spikes from Adidas which has a new style wrench that locks into the spikes differently. Adidas have obviously done this for a reason. I wonder what that would be...$$$?

No hot water needed. The new wrench works a treat. It locks into the two small holes plus in between the sides of the spikes.

Problem is that there are only crap ADIDAS spikes and Pulsar ones available at the moment with the new system. Hopefully Champ comes out with some soon!

Golfnut
3rd July 2010, 11:44 PM
Timely thread....mine are due for new spikes......
Yeah MW, the Powerband 3.0's have the thin tech cleat from memory, same as what the Tour 360 4.0 use.

Anyone recommend a good cleat for the older (non thin tech) model Adidas shoes?

MegaWatty
3rd July 2010, 11:46 PM
Champ Stingers.

Get 'em on eBay.

TGW have some Addi's on special GN.

Golfnut
3rd July 2010, 11:51 PM
Let's do it!!!

MegaWatty
3rd July 2010, 11:54 PM
Get this...I am set for golf shoes!!!

Got my PB 3.0s. Got my 360 3.0s. Got my Powerband sneakers. Got my Footjoy SynrGs (I think they're a little small). Going to get one more pair with my $150 or so in the Pro Shop.

I've changed!

Cosmopolite
3rd July 2010, 11:55 PM
Imelda?

Golfnut
3rd July 2010, 11:55 PM
Get this...I am set for golf shoes!!!

Got my PB 3.0s. Got my 360 3.0s. Got my Powerband sneakers. Got my Footjoy SynrGs (I think they're a little small). Going to get one more pair with my $150 or so in the Pro Shop.

I'm soft!

:D

MegaWatty
3rd July 2010, 11:57 PM
Imelda?

Have been called that....a couple of times...

I do have a real soft spot for the Tour 360 4.0 Sports though. But I'm thinking I'm going to wait until they go EOL before indulging.

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 12:00 AM
That would make you as old as simmsy by then MW....com'on, live a little!!! (and help me out......wallet full of cash is useless when buying online behind the missus back)

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 12:04 AM
That would make you as old as simmsy by then MW....com'on, live a little!!! (and help me out......wallet full of cash is useless when buying online behind the missus back)

How much are Powerbands shipped? 2.0 or 3.0. Need to be 10.5 wide.

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 12:05 AM
Give us a minute.....

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 12:07 AM
What colour MW?

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 12:09 AM
White green.

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 12:11 AM
OK....the 2.0's are fricken cheap but wierd sizes.....plenty available in the 3.0 at $125US plus shipping

I'll just tally up with 3 pairs of shoes and see what the shipping comes to.

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 12:31 AM
Forget it mate.....too pricey.....$AUS sucks atm......Powerband 3.0 come to about $158US which converts to almost $190Aus, at that price you could walk into any Golf box and get it cheaper.
Same with the Tour 360 4.0....came to about $245Aus. :( Golfdownunder Rocko quoted me $230.

BTW.....Golfbox has a pack of the Thintech cleat packs for $25 online.

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 12:43 AM
Yeh. Bought some today. I could have got two packs of Pulsars online for the same price!!!

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 12:48 AM
But would you have got the the tool to remove the Adidas cleats?

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 12:51 AM
It does come with a tool. I'm guessing they are probably made in conjunction with Softspikes hence why they're the only ones that currently have them!

MegaWatty
4th July 2010, 12:56 AM
PINS™ is the NEW Performance INsert System, developed by Softspikes, for adidas® golf. This revolutionary new insert system will provide golfers with the immediate feedback required to develop a more consistent swing.

;)

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 01:31 AM
PINS™ is the NEW Performance INsert System, developed by Softspikes, for adidas® golf. This revolutionary new insert system will provide golfers with the immediate feedback required to develop a more consistent swing.

WOW, now I must have a new pair of Adidas shoes :roll:

henno
5th July 2010, 10:55 AM
Isn't Vasoline a petroleum based product? Same risk as WD40??

Sure is.

Like I said, silicon spray is the best thing to use when lubricating rubber and/or plastic.

rodders
5th July 2010, 11:18 AM
WOW, now I must have a new pair of Adidas shoes :roll:

Just got a pair of Adipure's for $220 from Drummonds with their recent sale.

Have softest feet known to man and I always blister. Wore these on weekend and are the most comfortable shoe ever! No problems.

Spikes are $30+ from drummonds but sell at adidas store in mlb for $25. Found for $13 in US I think from gpp but neede to add shipping etc.

Swing still shit though...... but consistently so!

TourFit
5th July 2010, 12:04 PM
White / green.

You should get a colour customised set of PowerBand 3.0's. Suggest White/Orange and call them Adidas Ranga's...

And I can't believe I heard/read you say your done with shoes at the moment..."YOU'VE CHANGED MAN !!"