PDA

View Full Version : My first hole-in-one!

Stuart
2nd July 2010, 08:11 PM
I had my first ever hole-in-one today and had to share the experience. It was a bit surreal, and a bit of a let-down in a funny way.

I managed the feat on the 7th at Armidale, a 173 metre uphill par 3 (http://www.armidalegolf.com.au/hole7.htm). I hit a 3-iron into a slight wind, and the ball was one of the Vision/Fantom Bears (thanks Boz!). The ball started out just to the right of the flag, with a touch of draw.

However, the experience wasn't exactly what I would have expected. Firstly, I was playing socially by myself, and no-one else was around to see it, which was a bit of a dampner. If my mate Kevin in the ProShop had stuck his head out at the right time, he might have seen it, but no luck.

Also, I didn't see it go in either (you can't see the bottom of the flag from the tee). In fact, I never even thought about it having a chance of going in. It wasn't the purest of strikes (although it was pretty good), and I thought it was at least a few feet right of the pin. It was a good shot, and I thought I would have about a ten footer for birdie (which is pretty good on that hole at the best of times). It wasn't until I got to the green and couldn't find the ball anywhere that I looked in the cup (as I have done many times before) in the hope it was in. And bugger me if it wasn't. But I didn't have the excitement of thinking I might have a hole-in-one, because I genuinely didn't think it could have gone in. And once I saw it in the hole, it was more surprise than anything.

I always envisioned that if I ever got a hole in one, I would see it go in. And likewise, I thought other people would be around to share the happiness. Its strange, I thought I would be over the moon (although I am pretty stoked to be honest), but these two factors took some of the gloss off.

Having said that, I immediately went into the Pro Shop (the only place people were that early in the morning) to skite about it!

CobraSS
2nd July 2010, 08:31 PM
However, the experience wasn't exactly what I would have expected. Firstly, I was playing socially by myself, and no-one else was around to see it, which was a bit of a dampner.

Sorry doesn't count then

Jack woz here!

Grunt
2nd July 2010, 08:35 PM
Nice!!

Congratulations

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2010, 08:38 PM
Congrats on the hole in one.

Stuart
2nd July 2010, 08:39 PM
Sorry doesn't count then

Funnily enough, it had a bit of that feel to it.

I'll still claim it though :)

Tongueboy
2nd July 2010, 08:43 PM
good on ya..........you know you did it!

good hole too

Stuart
2nd July 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys - appreciate the comments. Nice to share it with some other people, seeing as no-one else saw it.

Yossarian
2nd July 2010, 09:05 PM
Did you just write a 2 on the card?

Well done mate.

Dotty
2nd July 2010, 09:21 PM
Congratulations and I'll help you share the happiness.

Just send me $50. I'll get a nice bottle of red and I'll be very happy that you got an ace.

moree golfer
2nd July 2010, 09:36 PM
Great stuff Stuart. Tough hole too, if i make par on that hole I am happy. Too often I slice one onto the first fairway when I have played Armidale. What was the temperature when you made it?

GolfBallWhackerGuy
2nd July 2010, 09:41 PM
Congrats Stuart. That's awesome.

Eag's
2nd July 2010, 09:44 PM
Well done Stuart.

Stuart
2nd July 2010, 10:11 PM
Congratulations and I'll help you share the happiness.

Just send me $50. I'll get a nice bottle of red and I'll be very happy that you got an ace.

If you are ever in Armidale, let me know and I'll shout you a bottle :)

TheTrueReview
2nd July 2010, 10:11 PM
Congrats Stuart.

Stuart
2nd July 2010, 10:13 PM
Great stuff Stuart. Tough hole too, if i make par on that hole I am happy. Too often I slice one onto the first fairway when I have played Armidale. What was the temperature when you made it?

All of the par 3s are Armidale are buggers :).

Temp. this morning was quite mild. We had a cloud cover, so no frost. It would have been about 5 or 6 degrees I imagine - quite pleasant actually.

I hadn't thought of that until then, but I wouldn't have even bothered playing if it was as cold as recent mornings (-11.2 is just ridiculous!).

Stuart
2nd July 2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks all for the congrats - appreciate it.

markTHEblake
2nd July 2010, 10:32 PM
I had my first ever hole-in-one today and had to share the experience.

bastard.

surely 31 years entitles me to just one.

Golfnut
2nd July 2010, 11:08 PM
Nice one Stu.....that's still a pipe dream for me.

Webster
3rd July 2010, 06:21 AM
pfft

Dotty
3rd July 2010, 06:22 AM
bastard.

I was getting depressed about going 27 years without one.
I feel better now.

kingslayer33
3rd July 2010, 06:36 AM
Congrats Stuart.

(only 24 years and counting for me)

Stuart
3rd July 2010, 07:39 AM
If it helps, its taken 25 years for me.

And, I am the world's worst iron player. I honestly never thought I would do it.

henno
3rd July 2010, 08:57 AM
Holes-in-one are over-rated; any chopper can get lucky and dunk one. ;-)

(Yes, I am bitter because I haven't had one and yes, one of my chopper mates has. :-P)

Stuart
3rd July 2010, 10:32 AM
Holes-in-one are over-rated; any chopper can get lucky and dunk one. ;-)

(Yes, I am bitter because I haven't had one and yes, one of my chopper mates has. :-P)

Very true - I'm the (very happy) proof of that.

IanO
3rd July 2010, 11:27 AM
Congrats Stuart

29 years of golf and no hole in one ... very frustrating ... been very close but no prize

oncewasagolfer
3rd July 2010, 12:43 PM
congrats stuart on your ace. I have had one and it was in a comp with my mate and some old duck watching. Nice looking course:)

Yossarian
3rd July 2010, 01:29 PM
I've been playing two years and still no hole in one :'(

razaar
3rd July 2010, 02:01 PM
I've been playing two years and still no hole in one :'(

My sister-in-law (in her 50's) has been playing about 12 months and got her ace in comp recently at Mackay G C.

Tongueboy
3rd July 2010, 04:46 PM
bastard.

another 4 to go blakey. took me 35 years for my 1

AlexMc
3rd July 2010, 04:48 PM
They weren't even looking from the pro shop to see it go in?

Hole in One on the 7th at Armidale is a great shot. Absolute bastard of a hole.

hocko
3rd July 2010, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=CobraSS;497801]Sorry doesn't count then

Good enough for me....well done Stu.....an awsome feeling eh? Would have felt better on the last round of the club champs though.

Daves
3rd July 2010, 09:26 PM
Congratulations Stu. I have a couple of drop bears to try but have not yet put them into play. The X3 is my current main ball, if the drop bears are even better then I will be very happy.

markTHEblake
4th July 2010, 12:30 AM
another 4 to go blakey. took me 35 years for my 1

I have now realised that things are looking up, as every Par 3 that I pass without a hole in one, means i am getting closer to it happening.

cobra23
4th July 2010, 07:53 PM
I was working in pro shop on the friday morning in question. The grin on Stu's face as he walked off the course told me something special had happened. Speaking with Stu I told him that my first hole in one was also in a practice round with only a member of the greens staff in sight. (and he threatened to throw away my ball). My next hole in one wasn't long after and also on the 7th hole at Armidale but this one was in competition and a trophy and a bottle of scotch for this one. I am sure Stu's next one won't be far away and in a competition (when he gets time on weekends to play comps). Well done Stu and hope there are many more to come.

Stuart
4th July 2010, 08:06 PM
I was working in pro shop on the friday morning in question. The grin on Stu's face as he walked off the course told me something special had happened. Speaking with Stu I told him that my first hole in one was also in a practice round with only a member of the greens staff in sight. (and he threatened to throw away my ball). My next hole in one wasn't long after and also on the 7th hole at Armidale but this one was in competition and a trophy and a bottle of scotch for this one. I am sure Stu's next one won't be far away and in a competition (when he gets time on weekends to play comps). Well done Stu and hope there are many more to come.

You didn't stick your head of the proshop in time to actually see it though did you!

Jarro
4th July 2010, 08:09 PM
Nice work Stu 8)

cobra23
4th July 2010, 08:11 PM
You didn't stick your head of the proshop in time to actually see it though did you!
To bloody cold at that time of the morning in Armidale to go sticking my head outside

Stuart
4th July 2010, 08:15 PM
:)

I should also point out that Kev's first hole in one on 12 was a pretty fair effort - its another nasty long (187m from the back) par 3 with a narrow green (http://www.armidalegolf.com.au/hole12.htm).

Courty
4th July 2010, 08:35 PM
Congrats Stuart. Still waiting for my first. :(

Jarro
4th July 2010, 08:42 PM
Maybe we should have a hole-in-one thread, like the Happy Birthday thread ?

Where is Onewood by the way ???

Golfnut
4th July 2010, 11:34 PM
^^^ Jack will explode if he has to ask every H-I-O whether it was in comp or not ;)

hyrola
5th July 2010, 03:31 PM
Congrats mate. In the back of my mind, i reckon i'll never get a hole in 1... but i'll never stop trying.

hocko
6th July 2010, 10:11 AM
Maybe we should have a hole-in-one thread, like the Happy Birthday thread ?

Where is Onewood by the way ???

I can't believe we haven't already jarro.
Is it not the "Holy Grail" of golf?

Jarro
6th July 2010, 10:14 AM
I can't believe we haven't already jarro.
Is it not the "Holy Grail" of golf?

Indeed it is.

As long as it's in a comp of course ;)

hocko
6th July 2010, 10:19 AM
Whether in competition or not it is still a 1. :smt023

matty
6th July 2010, 06:10 PM
Onya Stuart! The more par 3's we hit in regulation the closer we get to the elusive HIO. 3cm is my closest. May as well be 3m.

mrbluu
7th February 2013, 02:31 PM
Sorry wrong thread

WBennett
7th February 2013, 06:35 PM
If anyone writes a 1 on a scorecard next weekend, is it in a comp?

And no, I don't meant the 16 Pooper would put on his card after losing 6 balls in the Moonah at MLL if we were playing stroke...

Jack - what's your thoughts on this?

popper81
7th February 2013, 07:00 PM
Benno... That is easy. Yes. If it is in comp. :lol:

I tell you what, If i do I will be claiming it. I won't give a **** what these tossers think.

Benno, you realise I am a bunter. I am like a big, stronger, sexier and more likeable version of the site owner. I don't spray it.