PDA

View Full Version : Courty's ****ed-up swing. Help needed!

Courty
27th June 2010, 03:36 PM
Calling Virge/ Razaar: my swing has well & truly self-destructed. I'm really struggling to make even half-decent contact and am at a loss to figure it out. I can't provide video for at least a week but I can describe what is/ isn't happening.

• at address I feel as though my top half is closed, which no doubt has some flow-on effects as below.
• takeaway feels ok to me, but on reflection it's probably inside the line (see above).
• the boys tell me I get quite flat, particularly when I hit the bad ones.
• coming into impact, my left hand is involuntarily tightening which makes release very difficult. My left elbow feels as though it locks in also preventing release.
• I'm hitting most shots fat, the bad ones up to 4-5 inches behind the ball (coincidentally the bad ones also feel as though I'm coming in very steep).
• my divots show a massive out-to-in strike of probably 15 degrees or more (no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get at it from inside the line).
• the face is often open at impact, as evidenced by the high & right ball flight that I mostly get.
• I feel as though the line of my hips & shoulders is pointing to the sky at and through impact, and I also feel as though I've got some swaying/ sliding going on.
• unsurprisingly, I've lost a ton of distance. I hit one today where I thought I'd actually struck it well. I was 160m from the centre of the green (usually a 6 iron). Because I've been struggling, I tried to make a smooth swing with a 5 iron. I thought I'd flushed it but it still dropped just short of the green.
• no doubt due to all the rubbish before impact, I'm obviously unable to complete my turn properly.

That's all for now, if I think of any more I'll add them later.

3oneday
27th June 2010, 03:43 PM
Fore left.

I have nothing further to add.

markTHEblake
27th June 2010, 03:46 PM
I reckon I can see the problem straight away. - you are thinking too much!

Daves
27th June 2010, 03:55 PM
Fore left.

What?, no buy a new driver??:lol:

sms316
27th June 2010, 04:02 PM

No wonder he takes so long to hit it.

Ferrins
27th June 2010, 04:12 PM
Time for some game improvement irons

virge666
27th June 2010, 04:16 PM
Need Vid mate - the feel vs real makes this a bit of an issue.

Ned
27th June 2010, 04:22 PM

Courty is in luck, Solarman has a set he could try!!!

http://img.timeinc.net/golf/i/equipment/2010/03/Adams-Idea-a7-Irons_600.jpg

mike
27th June 2010, 04:37 PM
Courty, your swing is good but it's also unconventional. If you've never had a lesson I suspect he'll want to change multiple parts of your swing. That's tough to work through, unless you're willing to put in plenty of hours at the range.

Buy some Callaway shovels instead.

Cheers

The Guru

Courty
27th June 2010, 05:13 PM
Fore left.

No wonder he takes so long to hit it.

Courty is in luck, Solarman has a set he could try!!!

Wankers! :p

Courty, your swing is good but it's also unconventional. If you've never had a lesson I suspect he'll want to change multiple parts of your swing. That's tough to work through, unless you're willing to put in plenty of hours at the range.

Unconventional: yes. Good: sometimes.
I've talked with Haysey & Tomson about my recent form and they reckon the only thing they can spot is that I sometimes get a bit too flat. Other than that they haven't spotted any obvious flaws (as opposed to my swing when it's working well). That keeps me hoping that there's one fundamental move that I'm getting wrong, and hopefully Virge/ Razaar/ my teaching pro can help find it.

Need Vid mate - the feel vs real makes this a bit of an issue.

I thought you were gonna say that. :neutral:

3oneday
27th June 2010, 05:13 PM
What?, no buy a new driver??:lol:

No need, he bought my 32's ;)

Jarro
27th June 2010, 05:18 PM
Have a break for a while Courty.

You might just forget your bad habits

adlo
27th June 2010, 05:20 PM
Problem seems to be in between the ears!

LarryLong
27th June 2010, 05:39 PM
Be the ball.

adlo
27th June 2010, 05:43 PM
and the club. And the number. Be the number.

Yossarian
27th June 2010, 05:58 PM
Don't know if this will help but I find that when I am getting a bad result but feel my swing is still the same it is

A) alingnment.
B) Mental. And by this my biggest problem is, I think, is I start to quit on the swing really badly. So maybe just really relax not worry about what the swing is doing and just hit some balls. Or just some 1/4 shots to start feeling some awesome compression again. that always makes me feel happy.

Dcanto
27th June 2010, 06:03 PM
What did JD used to tell you - just imagine the ball is someone you really hate and attack.

Courty
27th June 2010, 06:04 PM
Don't know if this will help but I find that when I am getting a bad result but feel my swing is still the same it is

A) alingnment.
B) Mental. And by this my biggest problem is, I think, is I start to quit on the swing really badly. So maybe just really relax not worry about what the swing is doing and just hit some balls. Or just some 1/4 shots to start feeling some awesome compression again. that always makes me feel happy.

Thanks, Yoss. It's taken 15 posts to get something constructive. :roll:

Courty
27th June 2010, 06:05 PM
What did JD used to tell you - just imagine the ball is someone you really hate and attack.

Yeah, true. Now I just gotta pick someone... so many options! ;)

haysey
27th June 2010, 06:11 PM
*This is just an observation and may not be the cause, or even part of the problem*

La Count when he's swinging it well gets into this position at the top

Lately when it turns to shite that left arm is quite often 6-10 inches below where it is in the photo.

markTHEblake
27th June 2010, 06:39 PM
Wankers!

Hey, i was being seriously helpful!

I mean given the detailed analysis you have posted, that suggests to me you are over analysing, thinking too much about your technique and probably trying to do more than one thing when you are actually hitting the ball.

Try the count 1 - 2 - 3 method while you are playing. (Inner Game of Golf -Galwey)
Count 1 and start of swing
Count 2 at top of swing
Count 3 at impact.

You do that and you wont be able to think of anything else and your swing will 'free up'

haysey
27th June 2010, 06:50 PM
Courty, want me to get the video camera out of the bedroom and tape your swing.

I can make time this week if you want?

3oneday
27th June 2010, 06:51 PM
Buy a new driver

Eag's
27th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Step 1 - Don't listen to advice from people on here (no offence Virge)
Step 2 - Go and see a Pro.
Step 3 - If step 2 does not help, have a break for awhile.

haysey
27th June 2010, 07:20 PM
Take up lawn bowls...

mike
27th June 2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Yoss. It's taken 15 posts to get something constructive. :roll:Oi. My post was constructive. Well, most of it.

markTHEblake
27th June 2010, 08:22 PM
Courty, want me to get the video camera out of the bedroom and tape your swing.

How do you know he keeps it there?

sms316
27th June 2010, 08:44 PM
*This is just an observation and may not be the cause, or even part of the problem*

La Count when he's swinging it well gets into this position at the top

Lately when it turns to shite that left arm is quite often 6-10 inches below where it is in the photo.
I'm no swing expert but from this pic I can see how much you cup your left wrist. When you do this you are relying on timing to get into the correct position at impact. The back of your hand should run in line with the back of your arm (a straight line along all) at the top of your swing.

You can still **** up from there but it is a lot more repetitive.

Enjoy!

LarryLong
27th June 2010, 08:51 PM
OK, my attempt at being constructive. I'll start by saying that I'm a clueless hacker and others can help you more, but I'm also somebody who once had a decent swing and now has quite a bit of over-the-toppishness creeping in and I also struggled to hit a ball in the middle last time I played. Here's what I'm putting it down to - maybe some of these might apply.

1. I have spent heaps of time lately practicing my short game with an open stance. I think this has caused my takeaway to go waaaaaay inside when I square back up on the stance, which ends up laid too far back at the top, which I think I compensate for by going OTT on the way back.
2. I'm getting old and stiff and I'm not rotating stuff the way I used to. Are you perhaps getting old by chance?
3. I have a very fast swing and because of point 2, I'm probably not able to get right back and right through in the time I used to be able to. The fix for me is probably going to be slowing down the backswing. OK, I only made that suggestion because I knew it would get a laugh. :)
4. Because of the whole laid off thing, everything just feels wrong. As soon as I feel like my left arm is going 'across my chest' instead of straight back, I know there's going to be trouble. I'm going to concentrate on not doing that. From what Hayesy is saying, that could be the root of all evil for you too.

I'm not really good with swing mechanics and pinpointing what my body is doing, but I kinda know when it's wrong at the top and around impact and usually I can get a good result if I fix those. I would follow Blakey's advice and don't over-think it.

Oh, and don't get a lesson. Lessons are for wimps. :)

haysey
27th June 2010, 09:02 PM
How do you know he keeps it there?

Cause my video camera is set up outside his bedroom window of course....

razaar
27th June 2010, 09:09 PM
My advice Courty is to play with low handicap players and flick those who are obviously exposing you to bad swing habits. Play with choppers and you are in danger of becoming one.;)

Ferrins
27th June 2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah I played with you Ray when I was off 6 and haven't looked back. "You're swing is sh*t" was so encouraging.

haysey
28th June 2010, 12:35 AM
My advice Courty is to play with low handicap players and flick those who are obviously exposing you to bad swing habits. Play with choppers and you are in danger of becoming one.;)

Yeah Courty. What Ray said....Oh wait, GGF!

:wink:

Courty
28th June 2010, 06:01 AM

Thanks Ray. I guess it'll just be me & Solarman from now on. :p

haysey
28th June 2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks Ray. I guess it'll just be me & Solarman from now on. :p

Pffft. Betcha I can beat you to C grade.

Ned
28th June 2010, 06:06 AM

Well thats great news, because that rules him out of playing with all of the NQ crew except Chopper.....................wait a minute, that wont happen either................Chopper cant even turn up with a note from his mum.:razz:

Does Val have a handicap ?:smt039 (A low one)

razaar
28th June 2010, 08:42 AM
Courty

Did you see Bubba Watson's drive on 18 in regular play - 390+ yds (aided by a bounce off the cross path.:shock: I have never given his swing much attention before (being a lefty). What stands out to me is his arm speed on the forward swing matches his arm speed on the backswing which is leisurely. Ernie Els has the same sort of tempo but smoother. There is a lesson in that for those with even paced swings. :)

solarman
28th June 2010, 10:47 AM

Looks like Haysey and I are not allowed to play with you now.....only A graders allowed.

Jono
28th June 2010, 12:55 PM
Get a new training aid.

oncewasagolfer
28th June 2010, 01:56 PM

I think that is quite true. I started playing in a group with hackers on a regular basis 18 months ago and have gone from 10 to 17. Of course part of that could be attributed to me playing bad but it doesn't help your game.

IanO
28th June 2010, 03:48 PM
Dumb question here .. if everyone is supposed to only play with better golfers than themselves and better golfers are supposed to stop playing with higher handicap golfers (coz it stuffs up their game) do we all start just playing in one's? or only with people on the same handicap?

solarman
28th June 2010, 03:58 PM
Dumb question here .. if everyone is supposed to only play with better golfers than themselves and better golfers are supposed to stop playing with higher handicap golfers (coz it stuffs up their game) do we all start just playing in one's? or only with people on the same handicap?

Hear, hear. Have to have a beer with you.
Sounds like you may like to have a round every now and then with us lowly ranked C Graders who may end up stuffing your game. Good on ya.

sms316
28th June 2010, 07:05 PM
I've played a few games lately on a regular basis with certain OzGolfers. They are obviously to blame for me playing like shit.

markTHEblake
28th June 2010, 08:28 PM
My scores have improved heaps since i started playing with my regular group comprising two C graders and another two off more than 30. Not too mention i usually take money off them.

mike
28th June 2010, 08:35 PM
Courty, start playing left handed.

dhills2
29th June 2010, 10:01 AM
Wait til I get up to Cairns next month... I'll f#%& up all your handicaps :smt098

Dcanto
29th June 2010, 10:09 AM
Wait til I get up to Cairns next month... I'll f#%& up all your handicaps :smt098

Go your hardest! You can't mess with my handicap any worse than I already do. :razz:

dhills2
29th June 2010, 10:23 AM
Unless you're off 36 I have something to work toward ;)

Dcanto
29th June 2010, 10:26 AM
Unless you're off 36 I have something to work toward ;)

Touche' :lol:

Courty
29th June 2010, 04:40 PM

Hopefully I'll be well into B Grade by then. 8)

Sydney Hacker
29th June 2010, 04:52 PM
My scores have improved heaps since i started playing with my regular group comprising two C graders and another two off more than 30. Not too mention i usually take money off them.

Can't they count ?

Jarro
29th June 2010, 05:04 PM
Can't they count ?

They're obviously deaf :roll:

markTHEblake
29th June 2010, 06:29 PM
Can't they count ?
and probably very trusting as well.

They're obviously deaf :roll:

yeah but they can read.

mike
1st July 2010, 07:48 PM
Courty, aren't you over reacting a bit here? It's only a month ago when you had consecutive scores of 81, 79, 79, 81 and 78.
Patience, lad.

Courty
1st July 2010, 09:34 PM
Courty, aren't you over reacting a bit here? It's only a month ago when you had consecutive scores of 81, 79, 79, 81 and 78.
Patience, lad.

That's exactly the point. How can I go from being so consistent to all of a sudden having no clue when even standing near a golf ball?

Ned
1st July 2010, 09:43 PM
Have you got the shanks ? (Serious question)

Courty
1st July 2010, 09:46 PM
No (not yet :roll:).

Ned
1st July 2010, 09:56 PM
Well be thankful.

Shanks cost me 8 shots at the Club Champs.

henno
1st July 2010, 10:15 PM
Well be thankful.

Pfft.... When you can do that in nine holes, call me. ;-)

Courty
1st July 2010, 10:16 PM
Well be thankful.

I almost wish it was the shanks. At least then I would have a clue what's going wrong and what to do about it.

Ned
1st July 2010, 10:29 PM
I have the shanks, will do all the things Ive been told by the two Golf Pros's who I have had lessons off and without warning or anything............socket rocket.

Yet other times I think that I should have definitely shot one right yet the &^%^&*( goes straight!

markTHEblake
1st July 2010, 11:47 PM
Well be thankful.

dont worry, you would have made those up somewhere else if you didnt.

razaar
2nd July 2010, 08:30 AM
I have the shanks, will do all the things Ive been told by the two Golf Pros's who I have had lessons off and without warning or anything............socket rocket.

Yet other times I think that I should have definitely shot one right yet the &^%^&*( goes straight!

Hahahaha, that's the feeling of hitting from inside to straight down the line with a natural release.

haysey
2nd July 2010, 12:35 PM
Didn't look to bad today. Apart from the last ya big choker:roll:

Courty
2nd July 2010, 12:47 PM
It was certainly an improvement, but still needs some work.

sms316
2nd July 2010, 12:53 PM
Didn't look to bad today. Apart from the last ya big choker:roll:

What was different?

haysey
2nd July 2010, 12:58 PM
What was different?

He choked when the pressure was on?

No, not really. I'd say a little quicker back swing, a little quicker in the transition and very, very flat swing plane. (Simply guessing. Heaven knows I've got enough problems)

Courty
8th July 2010, 10:06 PM
Starting to show some signs of improvement (I outdrove Tomson the other day 8)). That is all for now.

Ned
8th July 2010, 10:14 PM
Starting to show some signs of improvement (I outdrove Tomson the other day 8)). That is all for now.

Practice putting green doesnt count!

3oneday
9th July 2010, 08:22 AM
that only proves you can shank better than tom.

Courty
15th July 2010, 08:44 PM
I finally gave in and had my first lesson in 20 years today. It's not as bad as I was afraid it might be. Luke was excellent... didn't want to rebuild my swing from scratch. With a bit of video time and some drills to get the feel of what I should be doing, I showed massive improvement by the end of the lesson. It'll just take some time (and practice) to groove the changes.

kingslayer33
15th July 2010, 09:32 PM
Glad to hear your world cup winnings are being spent wisely - who needs another driver? Oops should I have written that here?

IanO
15th July 2010, 10:14 PM
Yep lessons (and a new driver) are the way to go

Ned
15th July 2010, 10:17 PM
Yep lessons (and another new driver) are the way to go

Yep you would be right I reckon!

IanO
15th July 2010, 10:31 PM
My mistake NK .. you are correct :mrgreen:

Courty
16th July 2010, 05:59 AM
I won't categorically rule out buying some new stuff. 8)

Ned
16th July 2010, 08:09 AM
I won't categorically deny already buying some new stuff. 8)

Good for you Count!:wink:

Ned
21st July 2010, 09:04 PM
Well seeing as seeing the swing doctor has worked for Courty, I'm booked in for a tune up as well![-o<

mike
23rd July 2010, 01:47 AM
Well seeing as seeing the swing doctor has worked for Courty, I'm booked in for a tune up as well![-o<Who with? Courty's surgeon or the local bloke?

3oneday
23rd July 2010, 07:27 AM
What irons did you have the lesson with ?

Courty
23rd July 2010, 01:16 PM
What irons did you have the lesson with ?

My Titleist ZBs. Still waiting for the Silverback to reshaft the Mizzies. :roll:

3oneday
23rd July 2010, 01:21 PM
Good irons those mizzies ;) 8)

Courty
23rd July 2010, 01:25 PM
Good irons those mizzies ;) 8)

Apparently.

dhills2
23rd July 2010, 07:49 PM
Hey Courty,
I'm now up in Cairns but still spending my days looking for jobs at the moment. Probably join the club next week. Been to the range twice now on the way back from town to Bentley Park & course looks the goods (looks long!). Pretty sure I heard Tomson get called to the tee for a midweek comp too :) Which comp day do most ozgolfers get out there? Sat morning? I'll yell out on here when I'm gonna get out there & chop up your beautiful course - and we can meet up for a beer in the clubhouse.

Courty
23rd July 2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Courty,
I'm now up in Cairns but still spending my days looking for jobs at the moment. Probably join the club next week. Been to the range twice now on the way back from town to Bentley Park & course looks the goods (looks long!). Pretty sure I heard Tomson get called to the tee for a midweek comp too :) Which comp day do most ozgolfers get out there? Sat morning? I'll yell out on here when I'm gonna get out there & chop up your beautiful course - and we can meet up for a beer in the clubhouse.

Good stuff. Haysey & I both live at Bentley Park also. We usually play Saturday morning (in fact I think we have an opening tomorrow as Tomson is away for the weekend and Solarman's mate has pulled out). A few of us are out there from 3:30pm most weekday afternoons as well. You have my mobile number now, so give me a bell when you're out there next & we'll do some introductions.

haysey
23rd July 2010, 08:12 PM
We had a spot. One of the James boys jumped in.

Welcome to Cairns dhills.

Ned
23rd July 2010, 08:50 PM
Solarman has mates ?????

haysey
23rd July 2010, 09:03 PM
No. I think he was a figment of Solarmans rather fertile imagination...

solarman
24th July 2010, 04:16 PM
dhills2.....you may get told some things from certain disgruntled individuals soon. Do not pay any attention to any stories about me. I am sure that once we meet, you will form your own opinion. Don't let these immature juveniles with no class get to you.8)8)

dhills2
24th July 2010, 07:45 PM
Hahaha, thanks fellas. Solarman... I usually believe everything I hear so watch out :-) Looks like I am hocking the irons I brought up with me... might be without crubs for a week but I might come loiter at the range a few arvos next week.

haysey
24th July 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm sure we can sort you out with a loaner set. Let me know if your interested and I'll bring em down.

razaar
24th July 2010, 08:58 PM
Courty, this can only help your swing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gNtbTmLUo&feature=player_embedded

Courty
25th July 2010, 03:53 PM
Courty, this can only help your swing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gNtbTmLUo&feature=player_embedded

Interesting, thanks Ray.

Yossarian
27th July 2010, 11:03 AM
Tourfit would love that guy.

dhills2
27th July 2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks haysey but im sure ill find something shortly. F me it's hard to find work here with all the euro backpackers! Humidity is also ridiculous. When was the last time someone posted re courty's swing? :-)

haysey
27th July 2010, 01:45 PM
F me it's hard to find work here with all the euro backpackers!

It isn't a good time to be looking for work in Cairns fullstop

Humidity is also ridiculous.

We'll revisit this comment in December. Assuming you haven't melted:lol:

When was the last time someone posted re courty's swing? :-)

Courty's swing still sucks:razz:

Courty
27th July 2010, 08:09 PM
It's a work in progress. Today the progress was reversed. :roll:

Courty
16th August 2010, 07:43 PM
Lesson 2 booked tomorrow with Luke.

In the first lesson, the only thing Luke had me working on was the plane of my backswing. I was taking the club back outside the line. Interestingly enough, I still managed to drop it into the slot, but was plagued by erratic shots as a result. After a breaking period of about 48 hours, the changes that Luke had me make started showing immediate results. I shot a couple of rounds in the 70s, and was on track to win the Monthly Medal when I injured my wrist (+1 after 14), but that's a story for another day. My wrist still isn't 100%, but it's not affecting my swing any longer. I have been playing rubbish ever since I hurt my wrist, but it occurred to me today that a lot of that may due to something as simple as over-swinging (getting dis-connected).

Outcast
16th August 2010, 08:51 PM
Courty,

why don't you go and see Luke at Cairns GC...

If you talk to him about your swing and where you want to get to you'll find he's pretty good at not f****king with your swing. He actually listens to what you want to achieve...and, being the local pro, he probably knows what your capable of anyway.

I find him particularly useful as he doesn't try to make you swing the way he does, he just takes what you got and tweaks it...

Honest mate, give Luke a try

haysey
16th August 2010, 08:58 PM
Lesson 2 booked tomorrow with Luke.

In the first lesson, the only thing Luke had me working on was the plane of my backswing.

Courty,

why don't you go and see Luke at Cairns GC...

If you talk to him about your swing and where you want to get to you'll find he's pretty good at not f****king with your swing. He actually listens to what you want to achieve...and, being the local pro, he probably knows what your capable of anyway.

I find him particularly useful as he doesn't try to make you swing the way he does, he just takes what you got and tweaks it...

Honest mate, give Luke a try

:mrgreen:

Outcast
16th August 2010, 09:00 PM
:mrgreen:

Yeah, yeah, didn't read that friggin far into the post did I????:oops:

Courty
16th August 2010, 09:04 PM
:roll:

:lol:

Outcast
16th August 2010, 09:06 PM

:lol:

Luke is friggin good to work with though ain't he??

Courty
16th August 2010, 09:09 PM
Luke is friggin good to work with though ain't he??

Yep. Only had one lesson with him so far (a few weeks ago).

haysey
16th August 2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah, yeah, didn't read that friggin far into the post did I????:oops:

I hear that. I struggle to get through more than the first couple of words of Courty's posts as well[-(

solarman
17th August 2010, 08:58 AM
I'm going to him today for my short game.....may as well #### that up too.

Courty
17th August 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm going to him today for my short game.....may as well #### that up too.

How's that? It can't possibly get any worse. :p

haysey
17th August 2010, 08:05 PM
Lukes short game advice to Solarman. "Buy a chipper":lol:

Ned
17th August 2010, 08:11 PM
Lukes short game advice to Solarman. "Buy a chipper":lol:

Its a wonder he just didnt give him one!

haysey
17th August 2010, 08:17 PM
Lukes given lessons to both Solarman and Courty today. Guaranteed he's on the piss tonight:smt030

Courty
17th August 2010, 08:19 PM
Lukes given lessons to both Solarman and Courty today. Guaranteed he's on the piss tonight:smt030

Lucky you didn't hit him up for a lesson as well. They would have had to take him away to a padded cell. :p

Ned
17th August 2010, 08:19 PM

Must be, I texted him a while ago and got a "Im a mess" reply!

haysey
17th August 2010, 08:22 PM
Lucky you didn't hit him up for a lesson as well. They would have had to take him away to a padded cell. :p

Pfft, who needs lessons. I didn't get those dime marks on the irons by being a chopper.8)

Must be, I texted him a while ago and got a "Im a mess" reply!

I'll bet. Poor bugger:D

Ned
17th August 2010, 08:26 PM
Pfft, who needs lessons. I didn't get those dime marks on the irons by being a chopper.8)

I'll bet. Poor bugger:D

Thats a bit harsh on Courty really, I mean for all of his troubles with the shanks, he must have some exceptional ability to only have one shank mark on his crubs, he just shanks in the same spot all the time!!!!:razz:

Courty
17th August 2010, 08:32 PM
Thats a bit harsh on Courty really, I mean for all of his troubles with the shanks, he must have some exceptional ability to only have one shank mark on his crubs, he just shanks in the same spot all the time!!!!:razz:

Whilst on that subject... the shanks have been cured. 8)

Funny story though, when Luke asked my to make a few swings to see where I was at (before the lesson commenced), the first 3 were all shanks. :lol:

Ned
17th August 2010, 08:35 PM
Whilst on that subject... the shanks have been cured. 8)

Funny story though, when Luke asked my to make a few swings to see where I was at (before the lesson commenced), the first 3 were all shanks. :lol:

razaar
21st August 2010, 07:47 AM
Courty

I was watching one of our members hitting balls at the range and thought of you. He was hitting a 9-iron with his driver swing, maybe longer than he should swing a driver. His worst shots were shanks and he had plenty of these. This guy has a handicap of 10, so his short game must be really good.

haysey
5th November 2010, 07:43 PM
Warning: Language:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfNxb8GLKOk

mike
6th November 2010, 12:56 AM
Is that the 7th? I recognize the Greek lady.

Courty
6th November 2010, 06:05 AM
Is that the 7th? I recognize the Greek lady.

Sure is, although that's not what most people recognise as the Greek Lady.

Courty
21st August 2011, 11:21 AM
OK, I had a shocker yesterday.
I know that I'm coming over the top quite severely, but I'm not sure what I need to do to stop it. I've watched some Youtube vids about it but I'm still no clearer on the matter. Any ideas?

Yossarian
21st August 2011, 06:24 PM
Head over to ISG and post up a swing thread.

KristianJ
12th September 2011, 10:35 PM
Is it just the angle of the pic in your avatar or is the ball some distance in front of your front foot?

Courty
13th September 2011, 05:40 AM
Angle of the pic... I blame my missus.

Ned
13th September 2011, 06:17 AM
Thread title explains all and Thread Owner solely to blame. :razz:

Jarro
13th September 2011, 10:39 AM
Courty, that backswing looks pretty flat.

Has it always been so ?

Courty
13th September 2011, 05:55 PM
Thread title explains all and Thread Owner solely to blame. :razz:

It was still good enough to take your cash at Paradise Palms. 8)

Courty, that backswing looks pretty flat.

Has it always been so ?

When it goes bad, it gets flatter than that. I was striping driver that day, so maybe that position is what I need to work towards.

Ned
13th September 2011, 05:59 PM
It was still good enough to take your cash at Paradise Palms. 8)

#-o:smt013

Courty
17th October 2011, 12:14 AM
A big thanks to Virge for the 5 minute lesson just before the Champs Saturday round. It screwed me up for that first round, but a quick chat on Saturday night and I got it sorted for Sunday.

Jono
17th October 2011, 03:55 PM
A big thanks to Virge for the 5 minute lesson just before the Champs Saturday round. It screwed me up for that first round, but a quick chat on Saturday night and I got it sorted for Sunday.

You gonna tell us what the tip was? :wink:

haysey
17th October 2011, 04:55 PM
Hit it better?

Jarro
17th October 2011, 04:56 PM
That'll do it :)

Courty
17th October 2011, 05:28 PM
You gonna tell us what the tip was? :wink:

I would, but when I woke up this morning I'd forgotten. Well, that's my excuse for today's score. :oops:

KristianJ
17th October 2011, 05:31 PM
What? Not the added encumbrance of your stunning rain gear??

Courty
17th October 2011, 05:35 PM
What? Not the added encumbrance of your stunning rain gear??

No encumbrance. I was swinging free today. ;)

Courty
25th November 2011, 10:57 PM
Here's a vid taken during today's round (11th at Cairns).

I've been tinkering again, just concentrating on feeling that my hands stay more in front of my chest. It seems to be working, I've been hitting the ball much straighter since trying this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkhe7fQlRI

FWIW, it didn't go in the water. :roll:

It was on a line about 3m left of the flag and carried to the back edge of the green (about 6-8m behind the flagstick).

virge666
28th November 2011, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqbdfOOc1fI

All plane lines do is show you how good your hands are...

You need to sort out the lower half and get some power and consistancy.

Same stuff we did at Pelican.

virge666
29th November 2011, 08:51 AM
With many thanks to Marty Ayers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCMT5Uw1Ckc&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

and further

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNfmWjSD_c&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

virge666
29th November 2011, 09:14 AM
One last one from Marty.

For after you get the feeling above. Great Drill for Pitching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOmxmYeRBaQ&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

virge666
1st January 2012, 11:46 PM
Any better ??

Courty
2nd January 2012, 07:22 AM
Yes and no. My pro is on the same track as you, but the latest thing he's got me trying is killing me.

virge666
3rd January 2012, 01:09 PM
Yes and no. My pro is on the same track as you, but the latest thing he's got me trying is killing me.

Awesome - must be good then...

sms316
3rd January 2012, 01:14 PM
A pre-shot routine of less than 20 seconds?

Courty
3rd January 2012, 07:26 PM
Awesome - must be good then...

Not really. He had me setting up with 60+% weight on my back foot. Every time I made a full swing I got stuck on the back foot.

razaar
3rd January 2012, 09:33 PM
Courty
Why not ask your pro something along these lines .

where is the weight on the feet, towards the balls of the feet, the insteps or towards the heels and why?
where are the knees positioned at address and at the takeaway and why?
what do the legs do during the backswing and where is the weight and pressure distributed at the top of the backswing and why?
how is the weight shifted from the right foot/leg to the left foot leg - is there other ways?
what does the left leg and hip do during the forward swing and why?

Courty
17th January 2012, 10:48 PM
Quick update. I've been concentrating on keeping the lower half quiet, and it's beginning to pay off already. I've learnt the feeling of the coil, and have discovered a whole new way to generate power compared to what I've been doing. I'll keep working on it before posting another vid.

Ned
1st April 2012, 02:12 AM
This need revisiting after yesterday's Club throwing fail ?

matty
1st April 2012, 09:43 AM
Love the analysis in post #137 by Virge. One day I'd love to have my swing analysed like that.

What you wrote in your last post Courty about keeping your lower part quiet is what I have been concentrating on after watching how little McIlroy moves his body, keeps his angles when striking. Made me realise I'm a bit all over the joint and it's more luck, manipulation when it comes off. Had some good results. The swing felt more compact.

So, Courty, what's doing with throwing clubs around the place!

Courty
2nd April 2012, 05:13 PM
Love the analysis in post #137 by Virge. One day I'd love to have my swing analysed like that.

Yep. Virge is da man! :smt023

What you wrote in your last post Courty about keeping your lower part quiet is what I have been concentrating on after watching how little McIlroy moves his body, keeps his angles when striking. Made me realise I'm a bit all over the joint and it's more luck, manipulation when it comes off. Had some good results. The swing felt more compact.

When I do it correctly, I realise how good a ball-striker I could be. 8)

So, Courty, what's doing with throwing clubs around the place!

When I don't do it correctly, I get rather displeased with myself. :oops:

virge666
2nd April 2012, 05:35 PM

Load it up on YouTube... front and back

KristianJ
2nd April 2012, 06:44 PM
When I do it correctly, I realise how good a ball-striker I could be. 8)

+1. I had that feeling last Thursday when I hit a 9 iron about 135 uphill to just under 3 feet. Put everything I'd been reading/seeing into practice and my swing, for that fleeting moment, was in near perfect sync.

Then I realised how shite a putting machine I was when I got hasty and missed my birdie putt. :roll: I didn't throw my flatstick though. ;)

Courty
6th September 2012, 07:58 PM
Bump.

Hey Virge666, after reading some of Timah's thread, I have a question... is any of the stuff you got me doing on the weekend RSS?

Are you able to upload the vids you took on your camera?

timah!
6th September 2012, 08:05 PM
I know he's waiting to get a decent quality 'old swing' video from me, hopefully on sunday...

popper81
6th September 2012, 09:01 PM
Everyone is going RSS... ;)

timah!
6th September 2012, 09:05 PM
It's a guys stronger side ;)

Courty
6th September 2012, 09:06 PM
It's a guys stronger side ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-s

;)

virge666
7th September 2012, 09:30 AM
Bump.

Hey Virge666, after reading some of Timah's thread, I have a question... is any of the stuff you got me doing on the weekend RSS?

Are you able to upload the vids you took on your camera?

No RSS for you. Just trying to get you to take the club away without moving off the ball. if it was RSS, I would have you right shoulder a lot lower and hands higher on the backswing.

Should be able to do vids later this evening... meetings all day today

Courty
7th September 2012, 10:25 AM
No RSS for you. Just trying to get you to take the club away without moving off the ball. if it was RSS, I would have you right shoulder a lot lower and hands higher on the backswing.

Should be able to do vids later this evening... meetings all day today

Sweet, thanks.

Remind me again what causes the massive pulls and what to do to fix it?

Edit: you were also going to talk to me about getting steep with the short irons...

TheNuclearOne
7th September 2012, 05:53 PM
Just trying to get you to take the club away without moving off the ball.

Wouldn't that be nice. My biggest fault. I'm trying to keep the weight on the instep of the back foot.

razaar
8th September 2012, 03:57 AM
Wouldn't that be nice. My biggest fault. I'm trying to keep the weight on the instep of the back foot.
When the right arm is used to keep the left from lifting during the takeaway, the weight shifts to the instep. Intense inwards rotation of the right foot and knee keeps it there.

TheNuclearOne
8th September 2012, 04:53 PM
When the right arm is used to keep the left from lifting during the takeaway, the weight shifts to the instep. Intense inwards rotation of the right foot and knee keeps it there.

Can you rephrase that Raz? I'm half picking up what you're putting down.

razaar
8th September 2012, 05:08 PM
Can you rephrase that Raz? I'm half picking up what you're putting down.Start a new thread and we can run through it.

virge666
9th September 2012, 09:52 PM
In my limited understanding of bio-mechanics, it feels like my upper body is moving off the ball, but wouldn't that only be possible if my lower half were also doing so?

The golf swing aint that complex... fixing it is . . . but the basic side is pretty bloody easy.

Break the swing into two parts... the upper body and the lower body. And lets start at impact. All golfers whether that are good all bad have the same sort of impact position. The right side of the body hitting into a strong and stable left side of the body. Even down syndrome retards with a handicap of 40 have this impact position with their body. They have to, it is the only way to get some clubhead on the ball. The only slight difference is that some of the weaker players will have the knee protuded to further brace against the impact.

This is you at impact

And this is you at setup..

So for this to work, we need a way to get into you impact position... and for that we need a good setup position to start from.

The big question is... is your position at the top the best way to get into the impact position ?

Keeping those lines on the pictures shows you that you are correct - it is your upper half that is moving off the ball. So trying to fix your feet or solid them up or bow your legs or whatever rubbish idea you can think of will do sweet FA because your legs has not moved in the first place.

What REALLY has happened is that your right arm is too dominant and isn't folding on the backswing. So the right arm is pushing the right shoulder UP, which is pushing left shoulder down... with me ?

Now... this is where we get technical... will be a simple as I can but since we are working in 3 planes... it is a bit difficult.

Things to know...

#1. The shoulders can work up and down and they can also work around... If you shrug your shoulders... they work up and down. If you pull them back and push them forward whilst sitting upright in a chair... they can work around.

You need to understand this difference, because if you don't. You will never be a consistant ball striker. Good golfers work the shoulders around., Shit golfers work it up and down. Not a truly fair comparison.. as a lot of low markers, me included, have been able to play with quite a bit of up and down movement over the years. But if you want power and consistancy - this will do it.

WHY ?

So - Right shoulder up, left shoulder down... this pushes the hips to the right. THIS IS THE KILLER. If the right shoulder goes around... the hips dont get moved. They can stay stable and then and only then ... the legs can brace and you can hit into a solid left side.

otherwise, you have to slide the hips a mile to the left to get your impact position.

how to identify it... Bloody easy.

virge666
9th September 2012, 10:03 PM

Check out the shoulder angle...

Now check out Brad Lamb

But he is a RSS - how about a normal bloke.

Andre Stolz

Go and have a look on YouTube and you will see the same thing over and over again... the way the left arm works in a better golfer is totally different to the way you do it. You only have to look at the head angles to really see the difference.

Right arm folds, right shoulder is lower on the backswing. This allows the hips to load...

People call it swaying, tilting, moving off the ball and god knows what else.

virge666
9th September 2012, 10:48 PM
Stuck it in the Sway with Ray thread mate.

Courty
10th September 2012, 05:49 AM
Stuck it in the Sway with Ray thread mate.

Thanks mate!

Courty
11th September 2012, 08:43 PM
Virge, I'm making some real progress with the irons, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the driver. I keep hitting it low & left. :neutral:

IamViva
11th September 2012, 08:59 PM
change your driver loft and hit it straighter :p

Courty
11th September 2012, 09:01 PM
change your driver loft and hit it straighter :p

I'll take that on board, supercoach. :mrgreen:

shavey
11th September 2012, 09:51 PM
In my quest for 'Sleep-in Sunday" at the 2013 Champs, I've started down the path of swing changes so I'll be following this thread with interest Courty.

Supercoach looks to have cured the shanks so I'm now working on the full swing.

virge666
11th September 2012, 10:04 PM
Virge, I'm making some real progress with the irons, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the driver. I keep hitting it low & left. :neutral:

It shouldn't change between clubs... Unless you are changing between clubs...

Video it and I am guessing your upper body is going backwards through impact and follow through.. Hence the low and lefts...

Hit a few shots gripped down about 2 inches and see if the low lefts persist.

Report back

Courty
12th September 2012, 06:09 AM
Will do. Thanks mate.