PDA

View Full Version : Cricket 2010-11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 11:27 AM
I believe that we have covered that already.

I just thought maybe you didn't get sledging.

So cricketers boorish behavious is uncool, someone like Campbell Brown acting like a tool on the footy field sits badly with you as well?

As to the state players, I still support the warriors, just one of them was a complete dick once in a social situation. Again maybe I caught him at a bad time.

Anyway lets get back to the cricket.

Sledging, what's not to get? I understand the reason why they do it. Sometimes it's funny (the Healy-Ranatunga thing) sometimes really funny (McGrath- Sarwan) Most of the time it's pathetic. Giving a batsmen a "send-off" is just kindergarten stuff.

Brown didn't need to do that stupid stuff, he was hard as ****. Comparing AFL to cricket is ridiculous, imo.

You actually said it was a few that thought the sun shone, not one who was a dick.

Yes, let's get back to the Nathan Hauritz love-fest ;)

Yossarian
23rd December 2010, 11:36 AM
It isn't a love fest, the numbers back him up quite well.

Arguing with you is ridiculous IMO so I am going to stop. You will say this is because I don't have the right of the situation. So be it.

Peace.

Moe Norman
23rd December 2010, 11:52 AM
It's hard to argue with someone that doesn't actually have a position.

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 12:05 PM
It's hard to argue with someone that doesn't actually have a position.

:-s

How do you get that, Moe?

I think Hauritz is average.
I don't like the antics of the Australian team, hence I do not support them.
I think there's a distinct bias favouring NSW players.
Sledging is a tactic of the weak.

You will obviously disagree, which is fine by me, just don't say rubbish like I don't have a position just because it's the opposite of yours.

Jarro
23rd December 2010, 04:31 PM
:-s

How do you get that, Moe?

I think Hauritz is average.
I don't like the antics of the Australian team, hence I do not support them.
I think there's a distinct bias favouring NSW players.
Sledging is a tactic of the weak.

You will obviously disagree, which is fine by me, just don't say rubbish like I don't have a position just because it's the opposite of yours.

I actually agree with two of your points MJA.

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 04:44 PM
I actually agree with two of your points MJA.

:smt023 Jarro.

I can't work out what the other one is :-?

Yossarian
23rd December 2010, 04:49 PM
Haurtiz is average. He is also the best spin bowling option in the country.

Grunt
23rd December 2010, 04:56 PM
Why is all the is talk of NSW bias? If they are the best player they get picked. Are there other players that would unseat the NSW players in the current team? I cant think of any.

TheNuclearOne
23rd December 2010, 05:07 PM
Have you ever played cricket?

That's a silly and unnecessary question Yoss. It's quite clear he has no clue whatsoever :)

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 05:14 PM
That's a silly and unnecessary question Yoss. It's quite clear he has no clue whatsoever :)

That's a stupid and ridiculous comment. So everyone that has a different opinion to you has no clue?

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 05:21 PM
Why is all the is talk of NSW bias? If they are the best player they get picked. Are there other players that would unseat the NSW players in the current team? I cant think of any.

Phil Hughes v.2 has been a stunning success.

Yossarian
23rd December 2010, 05:22 PM
There are not really a whole pile of openers to pick from.

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 05:25 PM
There are not really a whole pile of openers to pick from.

True but given he wasn't in great form and what happened last time v England it's not a huge surprise he hasn't done well.

Yossarian
23rd December 2010, 05:27 PM
So who would you pick? Or do we play without an opener?

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 05:43 PM
So who would you pick? Or do we play without an opener?

Watson wasn't always an opener.

Yossarian
23rd December 2010, 05:46 PM
So who would you pick?

TheNuclearOne
23rd December 2010, 05:55 PM
That's a stupid and ridiculous comment. So everyone that has a different opinion to you has no clue?

Again your comprehension is deplorable. It's nothing to do with differing opinions or such crap. You keep using this opinion difference thing as a crutch. You simply have no clue. Differences of opinions are everywhere, but you're way beyond that As Moe said, you don't even have a position, well excepting anti Australia :smt023

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 05:58 PM
So who would you pick?

Why are you asking me? I'm not the all-knowing expert like some on here think they are (that's not a barb at you btw). Grunt made an observation and I tried to say why I thought there was a bias. I wouldn't have picked Hughes for the reasons I mentioned.

macjackass
23rd December 2010, 06:02 PM
Again your comprehension is deplorable. It's nothing to do with differing opinions or such crap. You keep using this opinion difference thing as a crutch. You simply have no clue. Differences of opinions are everywhere, but you're way beyond that As Moe said, you don't even have a position, well excepting anti Australia :smt023

Why don't you read the thread properly, I mentioned what my "position" was. Perhaps I should dumb it down further so you can understand it. That will be difficult propostion dumbing it down sufficiently it enough for you to get it.

TheNuclearOne
23rd December 2010, 06:03 PM
So who would you pick?

This will be like pin the tail on the donkey lmao

Yossarian
23rd December 2010, 06:05 PM
Why are you asking me? I'm not the all-knowing expert like some on here think they are (that's not a barb at you btw). Grunt made an observation and I tried to say why I thought there was a bias. I wouldn't have picked Hughes for the reasons I mentioned.

Surely the main reason would be another player was better suited?

TheNuclearOne
23rd December 2010, 06:06 PM
Why don't you read the thread properly, I mentioned what my "position" was. Perhaps I should dumb it down further so you can understand it. That will be difficult propostion dumbing it down sufficiently it enough for you to get it.

You could at least spell "proposition" correctly when talking down to someone via the dumb route :smt115

Moe Norman
23rd December 2010, 09:29 PM

David Hussey, Brad Hodge, Mark Cosgrove, Michael Klinger.

kev
23rd December 2010, 09:36 PM
David Hussey, Brad Hodge, Mark Cosgrove, Michael Klinger.

He's out on a Section 8.

Pieface
23rd December 2010, 11:27 PM
He's out on a Section 8.

Nice!

I'd like to see that fatty cosgrove get a run. If he can't get in while boonie is a selector he has no chance

TheNuclearOne
23rd December 2010, 11:39 PM
Nice!

I'd like to see that fatty cosgrove get a run. If he can't get in while boonie is a selector he has no chance

LOL!!! Maybe Greg Ritchie will make a comeback hahahaha

LarryLong
23rd December 2010, 11:43 PM
The MCG curator is predicting a slow pitch that is good for batsmen who are prepared to take their time. Yawn!

macjackass
24th December 2010, 08:08 AM
You could at least spell "proposition" correctly when talking down to someone via the dumb route :smt115

Apologies one and all for making the first typo on ozgolf.

Jarro
24th December 2010, 08:20 AM
I think Steve Smith is at least as good a bowler as Beer, so why even bother considering playing the debutant ?

Keep the 4 quicks and let Smith/Clarke/Hussey ... whoever ?!? handle the spin duties.

3oneday
24th December 2010, 08:40 AM
Was it the swing or the pace that upset the poms ? Doesn't seem the wicket will respond to pace that well so the short stuff could be dispatched a lot easier.

But i'd be hesitant to change the team and expose Beer, they'll try to take him out of the game early and then we'll be screwed.

macjackass
24th December 2010, 09:06 AM

My comprehension is quite fine. I stated in post #1254 what my position is yet for some reason you are still saying I don't have one. WTF! And you are questioning my comprehension?!? Please, if I have flip flopped a la Moe, quote where I have done so. Please explain why I'm not entitled to express my opinion, yet you and everyone else is entitled to give theirs? Your patriotic fervor is quite emabarrassing. Reading your posts I can now see the type of person who came up with Aussie Aussie Auussie, oi oi oi. Someone like you for people like you.

Jarro
24th December 2010, 09:29 AM
Was it the swing or the pace that upset the poms ? Doesn't seem the wicket will respond to pace that well so the short stuff could be dispatched a lot easier.

But i'd be hesitant to change the team and expose Beer, they'll try to take him out of the game early and then we'll be screwed.

I think it was more that our pace bowlers finally worked out the right line/length to bowl to get wickets :roll:

Really, if you put the ball on the right spot more often than not, you're bound to take a few wickets. Mcgrath was a classic example .... he didn't really rely on the pitch too much to get his wickets, he just didn't give the batsman a chance by giving them easy balls to hit.

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 10:35 AM
Apologies one and all for making the first typo on ozgolf.

It wasn't the typo, it was the tone mixed with the typo that led to your egg running down face moment. But you already knew that LOL

macjackass
24th December 2010, 10:40 AM
It wasn't the typo, it was the tone mixed with the typo that led to your egg running down face moment. But you already knew that LOL

Thanks for coming down from the mount to post that drivel. :roll:

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 10:46 AM
My comprehension is quite fine. I stated in post #1254 what my position is yet for some reason you are still saying I don't have one. WTF! And you are questioning my comprehension?!? Please, if I have flip flopped a la Moe, quote where I have done so. Please explain why I'm not entitled to express my opinion, yet you and everyone else is entitled to give theirs? Your patriotic fervor is quite emabarrassing. Reading your posts I can now see the type of person who came up with Aussie Aussie Auussie, oi oi oi. Someone like you for people like you.

No-one ever said you're not entitled to your "opinion". It's also open for question sunnyshine. Much question in your case lmao!

And if taking on someone openly hoping their country loses Ashes series is embarrassing to you, well, i just feel for you. Maybe somethings just not quite there i guess.

As for Moe, he's kicked you to the curb at every junction and it's been a schooling of epic proportion.

Jarro
24th December 2010, 10:48 AM
Guys, maybe some PM's are in order here.

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 11:02 AM
Guys, maybe some PM's are in order here.

Sorry Jarro. I'll let it alone and await some.

macjackass
24th December 2010, 11:06 AM
No-one ever said you're not entitled to your "opinion". It's also open for question sunnyshine. Much question in your case lmao!

And if taking on someone openly hoping their country loses Ashes series is embarrassing to you, well, i just feel for you. Maybe somethings just not quite there i guess.

As for Moe, he's kicked you to the curb at every junction and it's been a schooling of epic proportion.

The nuclear one in 2005:

"Kicked to the curb" "Sunnyshine" are you serious?!? And you feel for me?

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 11:12 AM
Is that you in blue?

macjackass
24th December 2010, 11:13 AM
Is that you in blue?

Any of those cowards could be you.

3oneday
24th December 2010, 11:15 AM
Stop arguing and get your arse up here :) 8)

macjackass
24th December 2010, 11:16 AM
Stop arguing and get your arse up here :) 8)

See you soon

Yossarian
24th December 2010, 11:16 AM
So who should've played for Hughes?

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 11:18 AM
Coward? Did the cops end up saving you from tomo? Coward? LMAO!

As Jarro said, take it to PM. You'll find this coward very accommodating.

This will be my last post per our own little squabble in here.

macjackass
24th December 2010, 11:23 AM
Coward? Did the cops end up saving you from tomo? Coward? LMAO!

As Jarro said, take it to PM. You'll find this coward very accommodating.

This will be my last post per our own little squabble in here.

Pm sent to one deluded jingoistic goose.

macjackass
24th December 2010, 11:25 AM
So who should've played for Hughes?

I think the question is why should he have been picked given his form and how he went against that opposition last time?

Grunt
24th December 2010, 11:29 AM
So Mac, do we just play with 9 in the batting line up and just use him as a fieldsman? That way we just go into each innings at 1/0.

If Katich did not get injured this would not have been a problem but it happened and he was the best available. Build a bridge and get over it.

Yossarian
24th December 2010, 11:29 AM
I think the question is why should he have been picked given his form and how he went against that opposition last time?

Sure thats part of it, but who should they have picked instead. The complete lack of real form for all openers in the country combined with the fact the guy has test match hundreds to his name.

I'm not sure how a guy went last time on completely different wickets and bowlers is really a great way to select.

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 11:30 AM
Try again, my inbox may have been full. Had to delete a few making sure i missed Tomo's and your address one.

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Hughes score well at the MCG. Fingers crossed.

Grunt
24th December 2010, 03:48 PM
Reports coming through this afternoon that Ponting has been passed as fit enough to play.

TheNuclearOne
24th December 2010, 03:54 PM
Excellent news Grunt, tho we always thought he'd play. Sure thing now.

dean0820
24th December 2010, 05:44 PM
got a mate picking me up at 6:30 to go watch the boxing day test.
darned time difference!
apologies to the lads i'm playing at the vines with the following day, i could be a bit seedy.

Jarro
24th December 2010, 08:09 PM
We'll go in with the same lineup as the Perth test ... 4 quicks.

Grunt
24th December 2010, 08:12 PM
Siddle did not bowl today.

dean0820
24th December 2010, 10:43 PM
Siddle did not bowl today.

just a rest day. these days they try not to overbowl them.
now, when i was a lad.....

kpac
25th December 2010, 11:39 AM
Awesome Xmas present!! Great Southern Stand..... whoop!

Jarro
26th December 2010, 01:30 PM
Once again this summer our top order has been skittled by the pommie quicks :roll:

Time has come for some changes .... we simply cannot go on affording the opposition a leg-up early on in a test match.

Pieface
26th December 2010, 01:48 PM
I really want to lambast the Aussie top order but having watched most of that first session the Pommie bowlers were awesome. Great team bowling, no let up in pressure from any of the bowlers.

Got pretty tired of watching Ponting chasing those leg side deliveries so wasn't sad to see him go.

Jarro
26th December 2010, 01:49 PM
Would've been a nice toss to win 'eh Pieface ?

Pieface
26th December 2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah this wasn't a great toss to lose. Still the bowlers had to put the ball in the right spot. The ball Tremlett got Watson with was a cracker. He didn't know about it at all.

and Smith goes...It will be a sub 200 unless Haddin and Clarke can build a partnership.

Jarro
26th December 2010, 02:20 PM
Stage is set for Clarke to save his career

KristianJ
26th December 2010, 02:24 PM
Oh, for a performance like Andrew Symonds managed 4 years ago in the corresponding Ashes test...

Jarro
26th December 2010, 02:25 PM
Oh, for a performance like Andrew Symonds managed 4 years ago in the corresponding Ashes test...

God knows we need something to save us :roll:

The Poms have bowled very well though i must admit. I just hope ours can bowl as well if not better.

AndyP
26th December 2010, 02:29 PM
Go England.

Tapatalk has been to paradise, but it's never been to me.

Jarro
26th December 2010, 02:30 PM
Mitch will save us :)

Goldy
26th December 2010, 02:30 PM
Stage is set for Clarke to save his career

So much for that...

KristianJ
26th December 2010, 02:41 PM
Tits on a bull.

Pieface
26th December 2010, 02:54 PM
i meant 100 not 200

Jarro
26th December 2010, 03:17 PM
Over to the bowlers now, can they save any chance we've got of winning back the Ashes for Australia ?

The pitch looks like it's really helping the bowlers so far, i just hope our boys can put the ball in the right spot like the Pommie quicks did.

virge666
26th December 2010, 04:34 PM
Just when you thought it could not get any worse...

Didn't make 3 figures and continually bowling on leg stump...

Bring back Steve Waugh... he would be up there with the bowler hitting him in the head on every ball that is on the bowlers pads...

This must be what the English felt like for a decade or so...

Jarro
26th December 2010, 04:38 PM
It's very hard to watch i agree Virge.

I was really hoping we could come out and make the Poms pay, but it appears we just aren't that good :(

It's really hard to see how we can possible bounce back and win this series now.

virge666
26th December 2010, 04:43 PM
It's very hard to watch i agree Virge.

I was really hoping we could come out and make the Poms pay, but it appears we just aren't that good :(

It's really hard to see how we can possible bounce back and win this series now.

It is like watching Tiger Woods this year, waiting for this moment of brilliance when he comes in a wipes the floor with everyone . . . but it just never occurs. Just these little flashes but nothing that last more than an hour or so.

Oh well . . . 2 more years.

MAZA68
26th December 2010, 05:01 PM
98 wtf

terrys
26th December 2010, 05:23 PM
just turned the telly on, looks like normal service has resume. 500 for England?

Onewood
26th December 2010, 05:58 PM
Might have to share some north Queenland rain, We have plenty to share :)

u8ergolfer
26th December 2010, 06:09 PM
FFS I know they have nothing to work with but the bowling attack is chuckin pies down now too..

Jarro
26th December 2010, 06:22 PM
FFS I know they have nothing to work with but the bowling attack is chuckin pies down now too..

Agreed.

Just watched Smith bowl a complete over of half-trackers .... Strauss could've hit him for 6 boundaries if he really wanted to :roll:

u8ergolfer
26th December 2010, 06:27 PM
I hope we win the boat race..

u8ergolfer
26th December 2010, 07:06 PM
Im hoping someone in the spineless backslap fraternity, AKA the Australian Sports Media, take a long handled bat wrapped in a bit of barbed wire to the arses of Messrs Ponting and Co, or whoever turns up to spin doctor some excuse for that pathetic effort today.....These imposters deserve a hammering in the press tomorrow..

Jarro
26th December 2010, 07:27 PM
I agree, there needs to be some serious arsekicking going on tonight !!

There has to be some sackings after this series.

Tapatalking on the Galaxy

MAZA68
26th December 2010, 07:58 PM
At least Ponting came back to contribute

MAZA68
26th December 2010, 08:01 PM
Might have to share some north Queenland rain, We have plenty to share :)

We'll send some from the Gold Coast it'll get there quicker.

perci
26th December 2010, 08:26 PM
How come nobody has mentioned Tim Nielsen,he should be at the top of the sacking list,they've done nothing since he's been coach!

AndyP
26th December 2010, 08:53 PM
It's effigy burning time.

Yossarian
26th December 2010, 09:22 PM
Good day, evenly poised I reckon.

KristianJ
26th December 2010, 09:25 PM
Good day, evenly poised I reckon.

You talking about the Saffers and India, Yoss?

Yossarian
26th December 2010, 09:28 PM
Sorry I was talking about the drinking competion I just had with a friend.

Clarke should definitely go, he has been out of form for a much shorter period than hussey was and has no other redeeming qualities as a cricketer.

TheNuclearOne
26th December 2010, 10:44 PM
Well barring miracles and rain early tomorrow our batting line up (Clarke and Ponting especially) need to find their mojo and score about 600 or more trying to save this game. The poms bowled sensationally and showed yet again that our batting vs the consistently moving ball is still woeful right across the board. Every single wicket caught by the keeper or slips and gully cordon, quite a few of balls that should have been left. Ponting and Watson got snorters but Watson had already had two chances.

The pommie quicks showed us how to bowl tightly while still moving the ball and their bats showed us when to play and when not to play tho our bowlers performed no-where near as intensely as theirs.

An embarrassing day just when many of us had regained some hope.

Even in victory last game our bats had still performed quite ordinary on the whole and with Hussey and Haddin due to fail (and doing so) our worst nightmares came true. Realistically without Hussey and Haddin's rearguard brilliance thru the series we could have had a couple of innings not much better than today already.

Jarro
27th December 2010, 08:59 AM
Yesterday had to be the most disappointing days test cricket from an Australian side that i've ever watched live.

How can we make batting look so difficult, only then to have England come out and make it look so easy ?

shavey
27th December 2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for nothing on my birthday test! Well bowled by the Poms who bowled a good full length and took the necessary catches.

No way this is going to be rained out so lets hope for a massive return to the form for the boys in the second dig.

Member of the Tapatalk cartel.

Coffs_Hacker
27th December 2010, 09:20 AM
Just heard that the cricket wont be on tv today

Apparently 11 spineless aussies taking it up the RS is not suitable to day time TV

Pieface
27th December 2010, 09:21 AM
I knew England were going to perform much better in this test but the Australian effort was upsetting. The bowlers lost discipline after they didn't get a breakthrough and then it was just the odd good ball here and there which Strauss and Cook could deal with and plenty of garbage to score safely from.

Australia have lost the ashes unless they can bat for 2 days minimum in their second dig. Unfortunately nothing I've seen this series indicates that the team can do this. If the pitch doesn't behave the same as yesterday this morning and the Aussie bowlers can't get it right we could be looking at an innings defeat :( On the upside we cold't play that badly 2 days in a row could we?

Jarro
27th December 2010, 09:38 AM
Allan Border has commented that Ponting needs to bat down the order at number 4, possible even 5.

With the way our middle order is going, it puts even more pressure on Ponting to come in early and set the foundation ...... he's not up to it anymore.

I reckon we should bring in a good young #3 and stick with him, push Ponting to 4 for the time being then down to 5 before he's ready to retire.

Yossarian
27th December 2010, 10:45 AM
Who is the good young no 3 though?

WBennett
27th December 2010, 10:46 AM
Brad Hodge :)

Pieface
27th December 2010, 10:48 AM
Petey Siddle...another hat trick would be handy here! Only two more wickets to go :lol:

shavey
27th December 2010, 10:52 AM
Do they persevere with Hughes? Perhaps they move him to 3 because as a specialist opener he has nothing.

Sydney Hacker
27th December 2010, 10:58 AM
Do they persevere with Hughes? Perhaps they move him to 3 because as a specialist opener he has nothing.

Why let 1 fa quickly become 2 fa ?

Perhaps they could get rid of "fasionable" cricketers and go for guys who score slow, dour runs or break away from the marketing mould and admit that Cosgrove is one of the better players in the country and who cares if he is a fat bastard ?

Jarro
27th December 2010, 10:59 AM

Khawaja is the man that's been mentioned by better judges than i

Ponting needs to drop down the list to give himself a chance, he's not up to coming out really early in the innings anymore. Even the great Tendulkar admitted as such and dropped down to 4.

Hughes needs to work on his technique a bit more if he wants to become a permanent opener, he's way to loose.

Sydney Hacker
27th December 2010, 11:02 AM
Khawaja is the man that's been mentioned by better judges than i

Ponting needs to drop down the list to give himself a chance, he's not up to coming out really early in the innings anymore. Even the great Tendulkar admitted as such and dropped down to 4.

Hughes needs to work on his technique a bit more if he wants to become a permanent opener, he's way to loose.

I think you will find Sachin has never batted at 3 in a test match, he has pretty much exculsively batted at 4 with only a small number of innings at 5 & 6. People comparing Ponting to Tendulker really should get the comparisions right, he has slightly changed the way he bats to remove weaknesses, not where he bats in the order.

TheNuclearOne
27th December 2010, 11:08 AM
Come on Siddle, lets have Brissy all over again. 2 down.............4 to go.

Jarro
27th December 2010, 11:55 AM
I think you will find Sachin has never batted at 3 in a test match, he has pretty much exculsively batted at 4 with only a small number of innings at 5 & 6. People comparing Ponting to Tendulker really should get the comparisions right, he has slightly changed the way he bats to remove weaknesses, not where he bats in the order.

Not trying to compare the two really SH, just stating that Tendulkar appears to know when something isn't working and fixes it, Ponting on the other hand seems very pigheaded.

There's nothing to suggest Ponting wouldn't be a better batsman at #4

Jarro
27th December 2010, 11:56 AM
Come on Siddle, lets have Brissy all over again. 2 down.............4 to go.

Would be nice, although KP is starting to look a little settled :(

virge666
27th December 2010, 12:48 PM
There's nothing to suggest Ponting wouldn't be a better batsman at #4

Excuse my ignorance - but does batting order really mean shit when you are batting inside the first 20 minutes of EVERY single match ?

FFS - #6 has been in before lunch at almost every test . . .

Jarro
27th December 2010, 01:24 PM
Excuse my ignorance - but does batting order really mean shit when you are batting inside the first 20 minutes of EVERY single match ?

We're also assuming that the new #3 will last long enough that Ponting wouldn't be required until a lot later on in the piece ;)

Sort of like how the Poms are doing it now.

Sydney Hacker
27th December 2010, 01:26 PM

FFS - #6 has been in before lunch at almost every test . . .

No it probably doesn't make that much difference, but until this series the Aussie top 3 have been our best performing batsmen, Katich, Watson & Ponting have been laying decent platforms until a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately 2/100-150 was quickly becoming 4 or 5/200, until Hussey rediscovered a bit of form.

Yossarian
27th December 2010, 06:07 PM
Melbourne weather forecast??

Jarro
27th December 2010, 06:19 PM
We can only hope :roll:

Yossarian
27th December 2010, 06:38 PM
No, no rain. Oh well.

goughy
27th December 2010, 06:48 PM
This was just what I was thinking. battings crap, bowlings crap, fieldings not at its best. Wot's buchanan up to these days?

Tapatalk! We don't news no stinkin' Tapatalk!

Yossarian
27th December 2010, 11:34 PM
Absolute carnage in SA atm! There must be something in the drinks they give these guys!!

Also from Moe on another forum, I hope he doesn't mind, but it is far more precise and succinct than I could be atm.

Well, if it can go wrong, it has. Too late for mass changes, let this group finish the series and then off to the World Cup before generational change commences.

I was strongly against the selection of Steve Smith at #6, but after listening to SR Waugh today, I recall just how he struggled batting #6/7/8 and being an occasional bowler, before he gradually learnt to put certain shots away and become the player he was. Given it's now apparent we just don't have the cattle, I'm inclined to leave him there and have him learn on the job in the same way Waugh did. Despite not taking any wickets, he looks a truckload more threatening than Doherty!

Other young batsmen that absolutely must be blooded in the next 12-18 months should be Lynn, Maddinson & Kawajah - I'm not at all convinced by the likes of Ferguson/Marsh. If cam White can tighten up his technique and become a genuine Top 6 batsman, he could come in - but I don't think he has it in him.

Trent Copeland absolutely must come into calcuations for a fast bowling position, and watching Paul Harris bowl for SA shows exactly why Nathan Hauritz should still be playing Test cricket.

Then of course, there is Cosgrove!

I'd like a core squad looking something like this in the 11/12 Summer:

Top Order bats (1-3):

Watson/Maddinson/Cosgrove/Lynn

Middle Order (4-6):

Ponting/Hussey/Clarke/Smith/Kawajah

WK:

Haddin/Paine

Bowlers:

Hauritz/Copeland/Siddle/Johnson/Hilfenhaus/Swan

Hopefully someone like Alex Keath comes on in leaps and bounds and Butterworth and Bailey also put their obvious talent to better use.

At the end of the day, Cosgrove would solve most of our problems. Bowls ok too, so can take some workload off Watto!

Edit: also, watching Dale Steyn on Fox2 has been as enjoyable as ever, that guy is fast becoming an all-time great. Pretty handy lineup he demolished.

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2010, 12:28 PM
2 1/2 days to bat. Crossing the fingers for Ponting and Clarke to find their best form and Hughes to fire. The pressure for these guys must be electric.

Jarro
28th December 2010, 12:38 PM
I must say i really am looking forward to seeing how our batsman react to the press they've been receiving lately. Surely some, if not all, of them will stand up and perform in the second dig.

What worries me most though is that this will be all over early tomorrow. Siddle was moving the ball around a little bit towards the end there, so the pommie quicks will do likewise :shock:

Jarro
28th December 2010, 04:52 PM
This might be all over today let alone tomorrow :roll:

Really disappointed Ponting didn't make a big score this dig .... i reckon it could be the end of him after this series.

Grunt
28th December 2010, 05:01 PM
Clarke out now, very likely it will be over tonight now.

Coffs_Hacker
28th December 2010, 05:34 PM
Worst team ever bring on the NRL season

AndyP
28th December 2010, 05:56 PM
This makes the next test interesting. Will they make a couple of changes to at least blood some other guys?

Jarro
28th December 2010, 06:21 PM
This makes the next test interesting. Will they make a couple of changes to at least blood some other guys?

I think they should, but i doubt they will.

mike
28th December 2010, 06:25 PM
If Australia can get to 800 they might be a chance.

Jarro
28th December 2010, 06:40 PM
we've probably been flat out making 800 runs for the series so far :(

mike
28th December 2010, 06:42 PM
I lost interest in cricket because of Australia's dominance. This is good.

Jarro
28th December 2010, 06:48 PM
Yep, it seems the wheel has well and truly turned.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces come into the team in the next few months .... i'm pretty sure we have a series against Bangladesh after this series is over.

It'd be a perfect time for a changing of the guard.

jimandr
28th December 2010, 09:37 PM
I really enjoyed todays play, except for the results. There was some very high quality bowling from the Poms, but I was hoping that we'd be able to dig ourselves out. It wasn't to be, and we are just going to have to accept that they are better than we are.

Despite what the test rankings say, on any pitches except Indian featherbeds and raging turners South Africa and England are the two best teams at the moment.

Ponting never really looked likely. I'm sad to say that it is time to tap him on the shoulder, tell him to enjoy his farewell test in Sydney, and look elsewhere.

Iain
28th December 2010, 09:44 PM
But then who captains the side? I don't think Clarke is much of an option...

Jarro
29th December 2010, 11:59 AM
All over ... finally.
Here's hoping we can win the Sydney test. 3-1 sounds much worse than 2 all.

Tapa-daba-do

Grunt
29th December 2010, 12:02 PM
I think Clarke will be a great Captain but not at the moment. Don't know who they will use but I think Jim is right Sydney, will be Ponting last test as captain of the Australian Test side.

Selectors will not make any drastic change before the next test. They will try and square the series and if that works they will say they were unlucky and there should no changes.

Beer will play to save face, no one has played since this test side was selected so no one has had the opportunity to impress so if he is dropped they are truly the major reason this side is doing so bad.

PerryGroves
29th December 2010, 12:12 PM
If the selectors make big changes for Sydney are they not effectively signing their own death warrant. This appears to be one of the issues for me, just like the All Blacks, the whole machine gets wedded to a player roster and style of play, nothing changes until their is wholesale upheaval. Even when it's clear things are not working everyone bands together to put their support behind "the process".

kev
29th December 2010, 12:22 PM
You should see the number of sunburnt POM's on the streets. Not that they're feeling any pain at the moment...

Pieface
29th December 2010, 01:00 PM
well...that was a very disappointing effort from Australia. Hell if Pete Siddle can get 40 runs the top order has little excuse. England bowled superbly in this test to give them their due. They were the superior team barring a few spells of individual brilliance from the Aussies throughout the series.

Sydney will be telling for the state of Aussie cricket. Another innings capitulation will be a bad sign for the next series on the calendar.

Yossarian
29th December 2010, 03:42 PM
Very gay from Australia.

Copeland for Harris!

TheNuclearOne
29th December 2010, 07:09 PM
Even if we SOMEHOW win the last test the way we were beaten so comprehensively will stick a long time in the mind. Wouldn't be surprised if some bats fired with the pressure now realistically off. Then again i swore Ponting and or Clarke would get runs this test and was way wrong.

I think we need a fresh face at the head of selectors after this series for starters. Hilditch doesn't make the tough calls and it's time to move on. Strong chance the coach needs looking at as well. AFTER this we could get a working plan going geared toward the future of Australian cricket in a similar manner to what the Simpson brains trust did all them years ago.

Maybe they will stick with almost the same team for the last game. Ponting must move down the order. Good time to blood a new number 3. This will also drop Clarke back as he should be. I'd give Hughes another go, he was finally doing ok before Watto's silly run. Smith should never have been there instead of Hauritz but until the selection panel is changed somewhat and possibly the captain he's destined not to get a deserved go.

Hilfy bowls ok but struggles terribly to make an impact. He needs to learn the rudiments of variety very quickly. A good off cutter and slower ball would be a start and our entire team need to go back to the basics regarding reverse swing. The poms had that baby working in no time right after we looked pretty straight up and down excepting a bit of Siddle. Pretty much our entire batting line up is vulnerable to sustained movement.

After this series it's time to plot. There will be much pain and suffering before success. After losing so many freakish to superb quality players practically overnight this was the down period we had to have. The boys did good holding it off as well as they did for this long.

Tongueboy
29th December 2010, 07:19 PM
Isn't the coach on the beginning of a 3 year contract?

TheNuclearOne
29th December 2010, 07:30 PM
I hope not.

Jarro
29th December 2010, 07:59 PM
Isn't the coach on the beginning of a 3 year contract?

Yep, they mentioned that today during the coverage.

TheNuclearOne
29th December 2010, 09:45 PM
Ok, contracted to the end of the Ashes 2013.

damoocow
29th December 2010, 10:38 PM
Shane Watson's [Australian] foolish arrogance was demonstrated after the 3rd days play in an interview on ABC radio where he declared in effect that England had the best of the pitch and in both Australian innings the pitch was not at its best.
Have never been able to understand why ACB has players on contracts - where else are they going to go?

chappy1970
30th December 2010, 11:35 AM
I don't have answer to the captaincy question, but IMO Clarke is by no means the answer.

Jarro
30th December 2010, 11:37 AM
Hussey or Haddin could take charge in the interim

chappy1970
30th December 2010, 12:11 PM
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Haddin captaining the side.

Historically, the captain, at least in my view, is someone who any member of the team would happily take a bullet for. Clarke doesn't appear to have that sort of repore with the rest of the team.

Jarro
30th December 2010, 12:19 PM
I'm guessing the selectors will probably leave Ponting as skipper for the Sydney test, but i'd like to see them drop him down the order to #4 and bring Khawaja in at #3

Tongueboy
30th December 2010, 01:53 PM
ponting isn't playing Sydney. fingeris no good.......now!

Pieface
30th December 2010, 02:38 PM
Watson, Hughes, Kwaja, Marsh, Hussey, Clarke(c), Haddin, Smith, Johnson, Siddle, Bollinger (Beer)

Assuming no recall for Hauritz because the selectors can't swallow their pride and Beer doesn't play because he is a stupid selection not ready for test cricket yet. Can't see any reason to play 2 spinners when we haven't got one with enough class.

Hilf needs a rest. He is a tryer but he can't get wickets. A bit like Gillespie at the end of his career.

kpac
30th December 2010, 03:02 PM
Didn't think ponting was a great captain - but would prefer him to stay one rather than hand the reins to Clarke.... I don't see him a as a suitable captain at any level, and cannot figure out why they are pushing for him to take over.Drop ponting down to 5, and leave him captain for 2 seasons, and let one of the younger lads know that they've got 2 years to learn the ropes and take over.

On a personal positive, if the team gets a serious shake up, it'd at least get me interested to see what these new kids are made of.

I've met clarke once, and i know i slag him off a bit here, that is only a personal difference of opinion - in his defense, he's nothing worse than any other young blokes you can find in passing. But it takes a bit more than that to be the captain of the most critiqued team in the country....

simmsy
30th December 2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah I think ponting is still the best choice for now. Looks like he's knows he needs to move down. Put a few kids in the team with "potential" and let all and sundry know the captaincy is up for grabs.

Jarro
30th December 2010, 04:33 PM
Tim Paines name keeps getting mentioned by commentators and journalists alike as a possible captain after Ponting retires

I wonder if Haddin is getting a bit nervous ?

raidrboy
30th December 2010, 04:36 PM
Hilditch has already made his intention public in that he is stepping down from the job after the T20 World Cup. Maybe that the new coach might wear 2 hats for awhile to try and get some discipline and order back into the side. No 3 spot is a problem as is No 4 who really should be your 2 best batsmen. A player playing only the shorter versions of the game at this time is probably the next best # 3 in Australia and that is Brad Hodge who I believe should have never been out of the side in the first place. Thanks Hilditch your doing. I would agree with another suggestion made in an earlier post and that would to make Haddin skipper.

Jarro
30th December 2010, 04:48 PM
Well we'll find out in about 45 minutes 'cos that's when the team gets announced.

Yossarian
30th December 2010, 05:09 PM
Watto should go to 3, he is well suited to it I reckon.

Maddison, who the more I see the more I like, and Hughes to open.

Hussey to 4

Clarke has to stay now to 5

Haddin to 6

Smith at 7

Haurtiz at 8

Siddle 9

Copeland at 10

and slot in an extra bat in Khawaja or Johnson.

Won't happen though.

Jarro
30th December 2010, 05:45 PM
Shane Watson
Phil Hughes
Usman Khawaja
Michael Clarke (captain)
Mike Hussey
Steve Smith
Brad Haddin (vice-captain)
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Michael Beer
Doug Bollinger

I think Beer will be left out and Smith will be our #1 spin option.

Haddin should bat one above him though.

Grunt
30th December 2010, 08:51 PM
Team is

Shane Watson, Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Michael Clarke (captain), Mike Hussey, Steve Smith, Brad Haddin (vice-captain), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Michael Beer, Doug Bollinger.

Jarro
30th December 2010, 09:04 PM
you're about 3 hours late Grunt :roll:

KristianJ
30th December 2010, 09:11 PM
But you both forgot Hilf. ;)

On the subject of the Big Bash, never thought Warren Smith would ever add cricket to his commentary repertoire.

Grunt
30th December 2010, 09:35 PM
Just a copy and paste from FoxSports Kristian.

Moe Norman
30th December 2010, 10:41 PM
Shane Watson's [Australian] foolish arrogance was demonstrated after the 3rd days play in an interview on ABC radio where he declared in effect that England had the best of the pitch and in both Australian innings the pitch was not at its best.

That is 100% accurate. Doesn't excuse losing my an innings though.

Didn't you notice the green pitc on Day 1 in overcast conditions, then literally at the innings break the sun came out shining like a beacon. I knew we were going to get hammered right then and there, because if the ball aint swinging, 4 of our 5 fast/medium bowlers are f#cking useless.

LarryLong
30th December 2010, 11:02 PM

Didn't you notice the green pitc on Day 1 in overcast conditions, then literally at the innings break the sun came out shining like a beacon. I knew we were going to get hammered right then and there, because if the ball aint swinging, 4 of our 5 fast/medium bowlers are f#cking useless.

The fact that we had just been rolled for 98 was also a good indicator that we were going to get hammered. :)

England did seem to get a few breaks in terms of the conditions in a couple of the tests, but I suppose you have to be able to take advantage of them (and a good side should be able to batten down the hatches and get through until things clear up).

damoocow
30th December 2010, 11:08 PM

Was there [as Watson claims] a significant difference in the pitch between England's 1st Innings and Australia's 2nd?

Moe Norman
30th December 2010, 11:09 PM
It certainly wan't a 98 wicket, but given the way it was both swinging and seaming on the first morning - I'd have been happy to get to lunch at 3-50, 200 would have been Par.

You dance with the devil and pick the side and prepare the pitch assuming you will win the toss and bowl and the other team will bat, then you suffer the consequences. Strauss called our bluff and got the chocolates.

Moe Norman
30th December 2010, 11:10 PM
Was there [as Watson claims] a significant difference in the pitch between England's 1st Innings and Australia's 2nd?

Not huge, but it had dried out and had become very abrasive. Thus the Poms were able to get the ball going reverse in the 13th over, which is unheard of.

damoocow
30th December 2010, 11:13 PM
Not huge, but it had dried out and had become very abrasive. Thus the Poms were able to get the ball going reverse in the 13th over, which is unheard of.

Fair enough then - I trust your judgement. I thought it was an odd claim to make when I heard it.

macjackass
31st December 2010, 09:40 AM
Watto should go to 3, he is well suited to it I reckon.

Maddison, who the more I see the more I like, and Hughes to open.

Hussey to 4

Clarke has to stay now to 5

Haddin to 6

Smith at 7

Haurtiz at 8

Siddle 9

Copeland at 10

and slot in an extra bat in Khawaja or Johnson.

Won't happen though.

Why not leave Watson where he is seeing as though he's going well? Maybe punt Hughes for Maddison and put Khawaja first drop? It seems as though other countries have no problem blooding young guys, maybe it should be tried here.

Jarro
31st December 2010, 09:42 AM
Watson should stay at opener IMO, he's been the only top order batsman who can be reasonably happy with his Ashes performance.

Khawaja will be #3 ... i'm really looking forward to seeing if he's as good as everyone says he is.

chappy1970
31st December 2010, 10:13 AM
I'm prepared for the boy to prove me wrong, but I just don't think Hughes is first 11 material. He is as dodgey as all get out with the chin music and that is exactly what will be served up if he is opening.

Jarro
31st December 2010, 10:23 AM
I agree Chappy, he doesn't exactly instill me with any great confidence in his ability.

Hopefully though they can stick with him, and get his technique sorted out as he really is a great talent.

PerryGroves
31st December 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm prepared for the boy to prove me wrong, but I just don't think Hughes is first 11 material. He is as dodgey as all get out with the chin music and that is exactly what will be served up if he is opening.

Chappy, agreed, the thing is the bloke on his day has a great eye meaning he will get runs. Maybe he is a 5 or 6? Still strange that you can get to Test level with such obvious technique problems and then Justin Langer who led with his head is going to magically sort it out.

Yossarian
31st December 2010, 11:00 AM
It isn't so much a technique problem with Hughes as it is a mental problem. Which is kind of a technique I guess.

He clearly make what he does work and work well. The short ball doesn't get him out, it is the next ball that he doesn't play like he normally would cause he is thinking about the short ball.

The more time he has IMO in the side will help him settle.

MJ Maddison is a young guy and in good form, give him a run. Watson is quite solid and doesn't usually get out early doors which will help stop the procession of wickets.

dave1
31st December 2010, 11:05 AM
the problem with hughes is this...

he has one shot...the cut shot, you place two gullys and a cover point and hes stuck for a shot

he must learn to cover driver..he must learn to play on the leg side, for a player to reach international standard and not be able to play through mid wicket is amazing..and to be honest the coaches who have helped along the way need a kick up the rear....

because all bowlers do to him is bowl just short of length on middle stump or leg stump and hes got no way to score...and eventually they push one wide off and he nicks it because he wants to feel bat on ball...simple plan

smith well he jumps when he faces the ball....hes too young simple as that...

TheNuclearOne
31st December 2010, 11:37 AM
Watson should stay at opener IMO, he's been the only top order batsman who can be reasonably happy with his Ashes performance.

Khawaja will be #3 ... i'm really looking forward to seeing if he's as good as everyone says he is.

Watson's been very consistent and just needs to get over his (mainly) mental hurdle of getting out when he's very well set. He gets himself into position to score big near all the time and is missing out on the fruits of this labour. It's become almost set in stone now and badly needs to be rectified so he can move up to the next level.

We will have to give Khawaja some decent time to find his footing in Test cricket and it doesn't worry me if he fails twice this test, and the next for that matter. The've picked him as our 3 of the future and now need to give him plenty of time to shine. If he shines straight away even better. I really hope Hughes gets runs and finds some footing this test as our stocks are pretty bare for openers.

Moe Norman
31st December 2010, 11:40 AM
smith well he jumps when he faces the ball....hes too young simple as that...

Steve Waugh was too young too, took 29 tests to score a century and 168 tests later he was still jumping at anything short.

I like the move of Watson to his more natural position of #3 because he is clearly having trouble with his concentration levels. It can't be easy standing at 1st slip for an entire innings, then when not at 1st slip - you're bowling, then you get 10 minutes and you're batting. Absolutely no break whatsoever. He never had conversion issues when batting in the middle order, so I'd rather him bat 3/4 and score more hundreds, than open and make 50 every time.

markTHEblake
31st December 2010, 11:48 AM
Tim Paine will be our future captain with Brad Haddin opening the bowling

Uncanny that you said that a week before Steve Waugh said the same thing (almost). Haddin may actually make the team in his own right as a batsman at present. But still I think its not a good idea to have the wicketkeeper as captain, he is just too busy on the field.

Then again, doesn't South Africa have a shared system, where one guy does field placements, another does the bowling changes and someone else does the dressing room stuff?

Go England.

Like.

Ponting on the other hand seems very pigheaded.

Like. The way he carried on for years about accepting the fielders word when a catch might be disputed, and then he has disputed on more than one occasion a third umpire decision that does not go his way, and when he didnt walk when he gloved that ball in perth, shows to me that his own 'word' is not reliable enough.

I lost interest in cricket because of Australia's dominance. This is good.

Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like. I havent enjoyed cricket this much since 1980-84 roughly.

Not huge, but it had dried out and had become very abrasive. Is that abrasive like reading some of the hissy fits in this thread? :-) What the hell does that mean anyway, I noticed both Shane Watson and Jimmy Anderson(?) used the same term in the morning interviews on Day 3 or 4.

It isn't so much a technique problem with Hughes as it is a mental problem. Which is kind of a technique I guess. I am not sure that really matters. Many great test players have been selected on potential and not form, Warne is one of the better examples as is many of the Asians, Hussey the opposite. He really should have been playing years earlier but older players kept him out. I think Australia needs to repeat the strategy of the Border era, and pick a core bunch and build the team around them. And it least pick one spinner and stick with him - so he can be coached.

Whilst 36 seems to be the usual age for players to retire (or be retired) the Australian selectors allow far too many players to play for too long. From memory both Taylor and Waugh carried poor form at the ends of their careers, had their heads on the chopping block and both 'redeemed' themselves by making career saving centuries, well that should never have happened. If they retired in their primes, then the next guys can get blooded earlier. Its just plain ridiculous that a bloke like Hussey did not get a start until he was in his thirties.

Moe Norman
31st December 2010, 12:54 PM
Abrasive means rough/dry etc. When the ball hits it, it gets very rough and torn up very quickly, thus making it easier to achieve reverse swing.

Hughes wasn't selected the first time around on potential, he was selected on form. He has since been the nominated reserve opener and nobody has done anything of note to displace him (except my man Cosgrove!) so when an opener was injured, he was selected.

When Hughes made his debut at 20, he was averaging 65 and had dominated shield cricket like few before him.

Grunt
31st December 2010, 04:07 PM
No one has commented on Watson's running between or selecting a run. The 2 run outs in this series have been shockers, both times he has called the run and left his partners dead.

Jarro
31st December 2010, 04:08 PM
No one has commented on Watson's running between or selecting a run. The 2 run outs in this series have been shockers, both times he has called the run and left his partners dead.

Both times there would've been a single in it if the guy at the other end wasn't ball watching too.

Katich' runout was a classic example of that

Grunt
31st December 2010, 04:15 PM
Are you sure Jarro, first over of the innings? Was not a one day match.

Sydney Hacker
31st December 2010, 07:32 PM
Are you sure Jarro, first over of the innings? Was not a one day match.

Left and right handed openers, the quick single should always be looked for just to stuff the bowlers around early.

The second run out was bad, but Hughes could of made his ground, the first Katich should of made easily.

LarryLong
31st December 2010, 08:51 PM
Left and right handed openers, the quick single should always be looked for just to stuff the bowlers around early.

The second run out was bad, but Hughes could of made his ground, the first Katich should of made easily.

Tend to agree with this. One of the things Australia always did well in their great era was to do the little things really well every time. Pinching quick singles from good balls is great for many reasons. For a start it makes the bowler unhappy with his field and that tends to lead to him bowling a bad line.

Absolutely. I also think he plays the ball off his hip worse than any batsman I've seen, and the poms were right onto that. My problem with Hughes is that he will probably make some big runs if he gets on a flat track against poor bowlers, but he will tend to let you down against good sides, or when the ball is doing a bit. Quite the opposite of what you want out of an opener, but as I've been saying to other people:

Maybe he is a 5 or 6?

This is where I'd love to see him bat. There's no doubt he has the ability to score runs - his shield stats from the last few years back that up. I'd just love to see CA pull some strings and get him sent in at 4 or 5 for NSW and see what happens.

I like the move of Watson to his more natural position of #3 because he is clearly having trouble with his concentration levels. It can't be easy standing at 1st slip for an entire innings, then when not at 1st slip - you're bowling, then you get 10 minutes and you're batting. Absolutely no break whatsoever. He never had conversion issues when batting in the middle order, so I'd rather him bat 3/4 and score more hundreds, than open and make 50 every time.

There's no guarantee he would start making hundreds at 3 though. My money's on temperament, not concentration. Fieldsmen get to him, situations get to him, and I don't think he knows how to settle in and just grind out a ton without changing tempo the way Strauss or Smith do. I sometimes wonder if his issues are fitness related too - he looks awfully stiff moving around in the field and maybe that's a good case for him opening. If they sit him in the rooms for half an hour (Let's face it, he's not going to be there much longer with Hughes in the side!) he might not be able to get back up?

Yossarian
31st December 2010, 09:25 PM
How flat were the decks in SA when Hughes made back to back 100's?

LarryLong
31st December 2010, 09:29 PM
How flat were the decks in SA when Hughes made back to back 100's?

Don't know the answer to that, and it is true that he was facing some quality there. My only thought is that maybe they hadn't seen enough of him to work him out.

Moe Norman
1st January 2011, 12:23 AM
they weren't flat, and he played so well he hit Morkel out of the SA side. Smith set poor fields for him though.

Put 2 slips, 2 gullies, a backward point and watch him pick them out time after time. I've seen a bloke so consistently hit 'cover drives' behind square!

As for Watson's judge of a run, it's fine. He left Katich hanging by not calling at all, as he freely admitted, but there was a run there and Kat was partially at fault for ball watching. As for Hughes, Watson hit it, called loudly and took off, Hughes wasn't backing up, stuttered and still was out by only inches. If he either backs up, or trusts the call - he makes it, and frankly at international level he should be doing both.

Grunt
1st January 2011, 07:41 AM
I just heard that M Beer has never ever bowled a ball at the SCG. Has there ever been a time in recent history where a player has been in the same situation?

Sydney Hacker
1st January 2011, 08:07 AM
Barring Anderson and maybe Swann most of the English attack ?

Grunt
1st January 2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks SH, but I meant an Australian player. ;)

AndyP
1st January 2011, 11:29 AM
Marrara Oval, Darwin.
Cazaly Stadium, Cairns.

markTHEblake
1st January 2011, 11:34 AM
I just heard that M Beer has never ever bowled a ball at the SCG. Has there ever been a time in recent history where a player has been in the same situation?

Yep,everytime someone has played there for the first time.

Moe Norman
1st January 2011, 11:36 AM
Lords, Headingly, The Oval, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford, Cardiff, Chennai, Eden Gardens, Mumbai, Chittagong, Karachi, Port of Spain, Bridgetown, Lahore, Wanderers, Cape Town, Newlands, Kingsmead, Kensington, Sabina Park, Peshawar, Carisbrook, Colombo, Rawalpindi.

I'm sure there are more, but they are all the test venues I can think of off the top of my head.

Grunt
1st January 2011, 11:42 AM
Lords, Headingly, The Oval, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford, Cardiff, Chennai, Eden Gardens, Mumbai, Chittagong, Karachi, Port of Spain, Bridgetown, Lahore, Wanderers, Cape Town, Newlands, Kingsmead, Kensington, Sabina Park, Peshawar, Carisbrook, Colombo, Rawalpindi.

I'm sure there are more, but they are all the test venues I can think of off the top of my head.

I meant home series against a major test playing nation. Maybe I should have been more specific.

markTHEblake
1st January 2011, 11:48 AM
I meant home series against a major test playing nation. Maybe I should have been more specific.
Then we wouldnt have been able to have any fun? ;-)

You are probably right though.

ddasey
2nd January 2011, 04:28 PM
Team announced.

Australia: Shane Watson, Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Michael Clarke (c), Mike Hussey, Steve Smith, Brad Haddin (vc), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus, Michael Beer. 12th man: Doug Bollinger.

Grunt
2nd January 2011, 04:31 PM
Why do they bother to pick a 12th man nowadays. Seems like if you are picked into the squad it is compulsory to do a test as 12th man.

Moe Norman
2nd January 2011, 07:44 PM
because often, like in Perth - a decision may not be made until the morning of the match.

AndyP
2nd January 2011, 08:08 PM
So who here is embarrassed to see Beer get a baggy green? And who besides the selectors supports the decision?

Grunt
2nd January 2011, 08:27 PM
So who here is embarrassed to see Beer get a baggy green? And who besides the selectors supports the decision?

I am with you AP.

markTHEblake
2nd January 2011, 08:31 PM
To be fair to Beer, Shane Warne had an inauspicious first class career before he was surprisingly selected and did not have any impact until his 6th Test. If he was introduced to Test cricket in the last couple of years it seem the selectors he would have been discarded him just like the other 6 or so debutants that they have tried in that time.

AndyP
2nd January 2011, 08:57 PM
Got any stats on how many first class matches Warne had played before his test debut? I'm sure it was more than Beer.

CobraSS
2nd January 2011, 09:25 PM
Got any stats on how many first class matches Warne had played before his test debut? I'm sure it was more than Beer.

First-class debut
Warne made his first-class cricket debut on 15 February 1991, taking 0/61 and 1/41 for Victoria against Western Australia at the Junction Oval in Melbourne. He was then selected for the Australia B team which toured Zimbabwe in September 1991. His best performance was 7/52 in a four-day match. Upon returning to Australia, Warne took 3/14 and 4/42 for Australia A against India in December 1991. The incumbent spinner in the Australian Test Team, Peter Taylor, had taken only one wicket in the first two tests, so Warne was brought into the team for the Third Test against India at the Sydney Cricket Ground a week later.

From wikipedia

Moe Norman
2nd January 2011, 10:30 PM
Warne was also 20 and full of talent.

Beer is a career plodder in his mid 20's who couldn't even get a start for Victoria.

Onewood
2nd January 2011, 10:51 PM
only 7 from NSW, now thats a bit disapointing :)
No wonder Hauritz missed out, would have looked a bit suz with 8

Moe Norman
3rd January 2011, 09:18 AM

No more embarassed than I was when Doherty, Cullen, McGain and Krezja were handed baggy greens.

Jarro
3rd January 2011, 10:19 AM
Good start for Clarke, he's won the toss !!

Beer is in the side and has a big job to do on a usually spin friendly wicket.

I really hope Khawaja makes some runs

Pieface
3rd January 2011, 11:46 AM
Like Clarke better already, he won the toss!

England have been unlucky but the Aussie openers have showed better application for once

markTHEblake
3rd January 2011, 12:35 PM

From that info, it was was about half a season if he played every game.

Jarro
3rd January 2011, 01:08 PM
Why did Hughes have to play at that ball ?? :roll:

Fairly good start from the Aussies though .... a lot more patience being shown which has been missing the last 4 matches.

BrisWesty
3rd January 2011, 02:05 PM
Nice start by Khawaja! 2 & 4 off his first 2 balls.

Jarro
3rd January 2011, 02:08 PM
Nice start by Khawaja! 2 & 4 off his first 2 balls.

As the commentators are saying, he does seem to have an awful lot of time to make his mind up as to what shot to play.

Saying that though, the Pommie bowlers don't appear to have the same venom they've had for the last few weeks.

Yossarian
3rd January 2011, 02:47 PM
He looks good, much better than I thought he would.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2011, 02:54 PM
He only looks as good as a No 3 batsmen possibly should be. Right now though he is really the rose amongst the thorns.

Jarro
3rd January 2011, 02:55 PM
I just hope they leave him there and put Ponting to #4 when he comes back.

Yossarian
3rd January 2011, 02:57 PM
He only looks as good as a No 3 batsmen possibly should be. Right now though he is really the rose amongst the thorns.

You're right Hussey and Watson have been thorns this series.

I still don't get people that want Clarke dropped.

Webster
3rd January 2011, 04:30 PM

Perhaps the fact that he is woefully out of form, not made a decent contribution for many Test matches, and continues to unjustafiably hold his place in the team based on distant past glories?

Moe Norman
3rd January 2011, 04:33 PM

Every time he comes to the wicket, he manages to look worse than he did the previous time. Given some of his displays recently, thats an achievement.

He obviously needs to start shagging Bingle again.

virge666
3rd January 2011, 04:52 PM
4 for 130 ...

FFS - We are not going to make 300 again.

TheNuclearOne
3rd January 2011, 06:05 PM
4 for 130 ...

FFS - We are not going to make 300 again.

300 might be very distant barring Hussey and Haddin firing yet again. Pretty long tail if their luck ain't in.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2011, 06:08 PM
You're right Hussey and Watson have been thorns this series.

I was thinking more about the Captain he replaced and the bloke who replaced the Captain.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2011, 06:10 PM
300 might be very distant barring Hussey and Haddin firing yet again. Pretty long tail if their luck ain't in.

Good point. with Hilfenhaus batting 10 that suggests 8 out means all out. Mind you, our numbers 7-9 have been in the best form for most of the summer :-)

TheNuclearOne
3rd January 2011, 06:19 PM

If Ponting comes back. There's a sneaky push for the World Cup to be his international swansong. I think he may still have a bit in him batting 4-6 possibly without the captaincy, but they may not go that way. One thing going his way is Australia (so far) doesn't look like suddenly performing miracles without him and the captaincy didn't suddenly spark any runs for Clarke.

TheNuclearOne
3rd January 2011, 06:22 PM
Good point. with Hilfenhaus batting 10 that suggests 8 out means all out. Mind you, our numbers 7-9 have been in the best form for most of the summer :-)

Fair call Blakey, as long as their lucks in this time. Much of the top order has been making them look almost like batsman at times :|

BrisWesty
3rd January 2011, 07:52 PM
I hope Clarke gets dropped by the English slips and gully cordon. Don't like the chances though!

Sydney Hacker
3rd January 2011, 07:57 PM
He looks good, much better than I thought he would.

He looked pretty good today, it was interesting/funny to watch an aussie batsman knicking the ball towards the slips cordon and having it drop straight down to the ground. Perhaps his soft hands might rub off on some of the other batsmen in the team ?

AndyP
3rd January 2011, 08:05 PM
Maybe Fev should take that advice too.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2011, 09:50 PM
There is a movie about the life of Hansie Cronje and his impact on SA cricket, on saturday night 7.30 AEST, on the Australian Cricket Channel (182 on Austar or Foxtel). Looks like it will be interesting story if you are a cricket buff.

The news of Hansie Cronje's involvement with Indian bookmakers and his resulting public confession rocked the international sporting community. An unprecedented rise to glory was followed by the most horrific fall. A tarnished hero fuelled the nation’s fury.

Hansie (played by Frank Rautenbach) once South African cricket’s golden boy, had been stripped of everything he had held dear: a glorious captaincy, the support of his former team mates and the respect of a nation. Hansie’s bravest moment in finally confessing his involvement with bookies had suddenly become a tightening noose around his neck.

Hansie explores the very human drama of a man who, after losing everyting he has worked for, begins the painstaking journey back to choosing 'life'. The journey is cathartic. We celebrate with him his glorious victories on the cricket field but by the same token, we feel the agony of his dishonour ad the relief when he finally forgives himself, weeping in the arms of his friend and mentor, Peter Pollock. Amidst the darkness of his downfall, we are inspired by the power of his wife’s unswerving love, which shines like a beacon of hope. Hansie’s journey takes us to South Africa, India and England and his team’s fiercest battles are against the mighty Australians.

Hansie is a movie that will captivate with its human drama, its action-packed sequences and its riveting match-fixing intrigue. But above all the movie will reassure you of the ability of us all to overcome life’s difficulties with grace and diginity.

Yossarian
3rd January 2011, 10:30 PM
Perhaps the fact that he is woefully out of form, not made a decent contribution for many Test matches, and continues to unjustafiably hold his place in the team based on distant past glories?

If we give him long enough he will be our highest scorer in the next Ashes or the one after. :)

Every time he comes to the wicket, he manages to look worse than he did the previous time. Given some of his displays recently, thats an achievement.

Good points Moe and Jack and I agree in was more in relation to this. How is Punter a better option than Clarke?

Pieface
3rd January 2011, 11:18 PM
Tough day for the Aussies. The English were really all over them and created lots of chances and mistimed shots that just didn't create wickets like they have throughout the series so far. The English bowled as loose as they did at the WACA but still strangled the run rate, great cricket.

Well done to Khawaja. He showed good potential today but unfortunately toed the team line with an unnecessary dismissal. Hughes is not the right man I think but his efforts have been steadily improving. Clarke...realy getting through on virtue of the succession plan that has been in place for some time. Hopefully Smith can produce a good innings. He was reasonable at the MCG.

Should be an interesting day tomorrow. I hope our bowlers have been taking notes.

Jarro
4th January 2011, 11:45 AM
same old, same old .............

TheNuclearOne
4th January 2011, 01:40 PM
same old, same old .............

True enough, with some of our tail out batting the top order again. Johnson top scores for i think the second time this summer.

TheNuclearOne
4th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Actually lets hope it is the same old regarding him, last time he got a 50 he went berko with the ball.

PerryGroves
4th January 2011, 02:11 PM
Never know whether to be happy the tail wagged or whether it's a harbinger of doom that Ben Hilfenhaus can knock up an easy 30 odd. That said, I do like my glass half empty.

Pieface
4th January 2011, 02:21 PM
Hilfenhaus is bowling pies. Mitch seems to be going OK for now.

We need some early wickets here!

Yossarian
4th January 2011, 10:31 PM
If anyone wants to watch some real cricket, switch FOX on and watch Dale Steyn tearing India a new one.

Complete with another ton from Sachin.

I have a massive thing for Steyn.

raidrboy
4th January 2011, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE I have a massive thing for Steyn.[/QUOTE]

He is the current No 1 bowler in the world rankings I think. He hits the pitch pretty hard and being so tall a lot of batsmen find him very difficult to play. Tendulkar is an exception.

Yossarian
4th January 2011, 11:32 PM
Um he is like 5 foot 11.

Jarro
4th January 2011, 11:37 PM
If that.

He has the classic action though that generates pace with seemingly little effort. He's also pretty accurate as well, making him hard to score off.

An awesome bowler

Pieface
5th January 2011, 12:03 AM
How did Beer go today? I did something unexpected and actually played golf.

TheNuclearOne
5th January 2011, 12:04 AM
If that.

He has the classic action though that generates pace with seemingly little effort. He's also pretty accurate as well, making him hard to score off.

An awesome bowler

Exactly. He's just a fantastic bowler.

Moe Norman
5th January 2011, 12:14 AM
Tendulkar isn't the exception either, he struggled to play him as well, but when he was absolutely firing he was safely up the other end for most of it!

Pieface
5th January 2011, 11:22 AM
Hopefully Beer stops makig a habit of these non-dismissals!

Australia looking at a 100 run deficit minimum and will need to bat well for the draw :(

Cook is a machine

Hamo84
5th January 2011, 11:32 AM
Hopefully Beer stops makig a habit of these non-dismissals!

Australia looking at a 100 run deficit minimum and will need to bat well for the draw :(

Cook is a machine

looks like it

Beer's first wicket!! Hooray

Did hughes claim a half volley before? was it obvious?

chappy1970
5th January 2011, 04:09 PM
The only upside to our poor performance in this test is that Clarke wont get a win as the captain.

Did anyone notice the screen pops on Channel nines coverage when Cook was facing Michael Beer, "Beer to Cook".........giggle

Yossarian
5th January 2011, 04:46 PM
**** you siddle and smith. And Dar.

Jarro
5th January 2011, 04:58 PM
How much would it cost to lure Steyn to change nationalities ?

Moe Norman
5th January 2011, 05:27 PM
Why?

The Poms don't need ANOTHER South African do they?

Jarro
5th January 2011, 05:30 PM
Why would i want him to go to England Moe ?

We need him here !!!!!!!

Moe Norman
5th January 2011, 06:20 PM
I was being sarcastic, but I'd be happy to take a few of their cast offs.

JP Duminy currently can't crack a game for them, either can Wayne Parnell or Ryan McLaren. Happy for all of them to walk into our test side tomorrow!

Tongueboy
5th January 2011, 10:58 PM
There is a movie about the life of Hansie Cronje and his impact on SA cricket, on saturday night 7.30 AEST, on the Australian Cricket Channel (182 on Austar or Foxtel). Looks like it will be interesting story if you are a cricket buff.

you wanna bet?

henno
6th January 2011, 09:39 AM
Why?

The Poms don't need ANOTHER South African do they?

This made me giggle.

Jarro
6th January 2011, 01:28 PM
This made me giggle.

Me too, nearly as much as our bowling performance this innings :roll:

Record innings total for England in Australia ... 644

Hamo84
6th January 2011, 03:57 PM
I was being sarcastic, but I'd be happy to take a few of their cast offs.

JP Duminy currently can't crack a game for them, either can Wayne Parnell or Ryan McLaren. Happy for all of them to walk into our test side tomorrow!

Im suprised Duminy cant get a game, whats Graeme Smith's recent record been like, everytime i turn the SA games on he seems to have never made many

Hamo84
6th January 2011, 04:00 PM
Who is our replacement for Hughes? Another rubbish performance by him.

And what was with Watson's runout!! I would have thought survival was the name of the game not take risks and get out.

Chris32
6th January 2011, 04:06 PM
I'd keep Khawaja in and dump Hughes, Ponting back at 3

It will be as good as we can hope for

timah!
6th January 2011, 04:14 PM
Who is our replacement for Hughes? Another rubbish performance by him.

And what was with Watson's runout!! I would have thought survival was the name of the game not take risks and get out.

Shaun Marsh?

I hope Khawaja just bats all arvo. He can be on 30runs of 1000 deliveries, as long as he and Clarke are still there..

just
6th January 2011, 04:16 PM
Shaun Marsh?

I hope Khawaja just bats all arvo. He can be on 30runs of 1000 deliveries, as long as he and Clarke are still there..

Nice work.