PDA

View Full Version : Iphone gps rangefinder

mardo10
10th June 2010, 12:44 PM
hi guys

does anyone use a gps rangefinder on there iphone ,if so what is the best one to get ?

kingslayer33
10th June 2010, 01:31 PM
Hey mardo there have been several threads on this. I'm only on the iPhone at the moment so I can't be bothered searching for you right now ;)

I use golfshot gps (approx $35 I think) as does my brother and it has worked well on the 1/2 doz. courses we have played so far. He has a 3g and I have a 3gs and we have not had problems with the reported accuracy that others have claimed (17m or so). It does use almost a whole charge for a round though.

AndyP
10th June 2010, 02:50 PM
You could start on the similar threads at the bottom of this page.

kingslayer33
10th June 2010, 06:05 PM
Andy In fairness maybe mardo looked there saw one had been started by everybodys favourite former member from shepparton and bypassed it accordingly.

AndyP
10th June 2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, who knows where that thread would have ended up.

Hux
10th June 2010, 07:34 PM
I use Free Caddy Pro which is not free :-) for the Pro version.

Works fine and accuracy is as good as the iGolf Neo generally. It is NOT as convenient to use however but great when you want to see the layout of the hole on a strange course.

It reports max accuracy as 17m in the detail sarea but if that is the case (which I doubt) then the iGolf is getting no better than 17m. I would have thought it would be @ 4-6m accuracy for the GPS at full strength. It is generally within a couple of meters of sprinkler heads on my home track. You can put that down to the variance in the middle of green marking as well.

Outcast
10th June 2010, 09:15 PM
hi guys

does anyone use a gps rangefinder on there iphone ,if so what is the best one to get ?

I use Golf Shot GPS on my Iphone; it's fantastic with Google earth shots of the courses and the ability to track my stats.

Recently a sister program came out called Golf Plan. Put together with Paul Azinger, it analyses your stats and comes up with a four week practice program to improve your weak areas. Complete with videos to show you the drills.

I love both.

timinsa
10th June 2010, 09:46 PM
Golfshot is the biz. An errors in the GPS readings are almost always due to your GPS chip in the iphone being knackered. It's a common fault with iphones.

Eldrick
10th June 2010, 10:37 PM
ViewTi is another one
Nice and polished like golfshot
Has a few other cool features as well
Haven't had the chance to try it out on the course yet

Zeusgolf
10th June 2010, 10:53 PM
Golf shot and the stats is the biz

Bailsworth
11th June 2010, 11:48 AM
Agreed on Golfshot, have had no issues with it at all, and the sheer volume of courses that they have available is just brilliant.
There are some free ones out there (eg Golftraxx, which i didn't find too bad, although rather limited courses and features i was just lucky that my home club was on there)

Best bet is to hit up Myer or one of the many other places that sell iTunes cards when they have a 2 x $20 cards for $30 special.

mardo10
11th June 2010, 01:02 PM
thnx for all the info guys