PDA

View Full Version : Callaway Diablo Forged iron set - think I just purchased a FAKE set

daMANiack
10th June 2010, 12:38 AM
Hi,

I purchased a set of Callaway Diablo Forged on ebay and think I got a set of fake clubs, I've lodged a PayPal claim.

If anyone has a set, can you look at the back cavity where the sole runs up the back to the cavity.

Is the section around the cavity painted in a semi-gloss gun metal finish?

From the pictures, you can see how some of the painted section is flaking off.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

3oneday
10th June 2010, 01:15 AM
Who from ? USA seller ?

weekend hacker
10th June 2010, 06:30 AM
They look fake , the diablo logo looks dodgy . My mate has a set of these and im pretty sure the whole diablo logo is visible on all his irons , he purchased from drummonds . I have lost faith in ebay and would never purchase new equipment by callaway , taylormade , titliest etc due to the amount of fakes outhere . A low handicapper at my club bought new pro v balls for $40 a dozen and he said he hit it once and the laquer came off , got his money back and the seller told him he bought 40 dozen from china for $10 each and thought they were real . Best advice go to your local and check a set they have and compare them . Good luck with the paypal claim .

razaar
10th June 2010, 07:19 AM
Has the hosel got "FORGED .R." stamped on the back. It should be visible from the angle of your pics. If not they are copies.
The V in the logo is much more complete in the real Callys than that shown in your pics.

3oneday
10th June 2010, 07:22 AM
There are certainly copies available http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/diablo+forged.html#search

daMANiack
10th June 2010, 08:59 AM
Hi,

Australian OZ seller but only a couple feedback, I went in with open eyes, I'm a PowerSeller on eBay, this set was for myself. I wasn't sure if they didn't suit me as I've never used graphite shafts in irons before but use the Aldila DVS shafts in my drivers.

When I say, I would've sold if didn't suit, this would only occur if I was certain they're genuine. I think this should show that I'm an honest guy who only purchases and sells Authentic & Genuine golf gear.

Here's some more pics:

You can see that the DVS logo is different, the flames in the bottom fake especially. The colour of the shaft is also slightly different.

Serial # and FORGED .R. aren't obviously wrong.

The cavity plate and Diablo logo on the toe look dodgy. The face groove area almost looks lightly spray painted rather than sand blasted.

These Callaway Big Bertha DIABLO are the European and Australia style, still have the Carpenter Face and FORGED. These almost look CAST.

With the Carpenter Face, can you see a difference between the FORGED body and Carpenter Face, like a line or seam.

They look fake , the diablo logo looks dodgy . My mate has a set of these and im pretty sure the whole diablo logo is visible on all his irons , he purchased from drummonds . I have lost faith in ebay and would never purchase new equipment by callaway , taylormade , titliest etc due to the amount of fakes outhere . A low handicapper at my club bought new pro v balls for $40 a dozen and he said he hit it once and the laquer came off , got his money back and the seller told him he bought 40 dozen from china for $10 each and thought they were real . Best advice go to your local and check a set they have and compare them . Good luck with the paypal claim .

razaar
10th June 2010, 10:10 AM
Hi,

Australian OZ seller but only a couple feedback, I went in with open eyes, I'm a PowerSeller on eBay, this set was for myself. I wasn't sure if they didn't suit me as I've never used graphite shafts in irons before but use the Aldila DVS shafts in my drivers.

When I say, I would've sold if didn't suit, this would only occur if I was certain they're genuine. I think this should show that I'm an honest guy who only purchases and sells Authentic & Genuine golf gear.

Here's some more pics:

You can see that the DVS logo is different, the flames in the bottom fake especially. The colour of the shaft is also slightly different.

Serial # and FORGED .R. aren't obviously wrong.

The cavity plate and Diablo logo on the toe look dodgy. The face groove area almost looks lightly spray painted rather than sand blasted.

These Callaway Big Bertha DIABLO are the European and Australia style, still have the Carpenter Face and FORGED. These almost look CAST.

With the Carpenter Face, can you see a difference between the FORGED body and Carpenter Face, like a line or seam.

There is no visible seam on mine. The graphite shafts on mine are Callaway Big Bertha Diablo shafts with the serial no on a sticker on the shafts. There is no serial no on the head on mine. Also the ferrule on mine is longer than the ferrule in your pics.

3oneday
10th June 2010, 10:13 AM
Email the serial to Luke.McIntosh@callawaygolf.com and see what he says they are.

daMANiack
10th June 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the info, already emailed him with some pics.

Email the serial to Luke.McIntosh@callawaygolf.com and see what he says they are.

daMANiack
10th June 2010, 12:00 PM
Hi m8,

Hope you don't mind me calling you m8, but I feel like you're a friend with your info.

Received a reply from Luke at Callaway Golf, I had a good laugh. :)

Hello Mr. Parker,

We normally do not check serial numbers as they do not prove that the product is authentic due to counterfeiters copying the serial numbers onto their products, however in this case I can tell you that the serial number on these clubs do not belong to a set of Diablo irons.

This serial number is from a set of X20 Tour irons that were sold in the US.

Also we do not offer the DVS shaft in our irons which is also a give away.

Regards,
Luke McIntosh
National Customer Care Manager
Callaway Golf South Pacific Pty Ltd

Kind Regards, Ken :)

3oneday
10th June 2010, 12:04 PM
Luke has been there for years, very nice guy.

Oh well, hopefully you can use that in your paypal claim.

8)

daMANiack
10th June 2010, 09:55 PM
Hi,

It appears the eBay seller I purchased these clubs from was also conned, he thought they were genuine.

He's already processed a full refund.

I've forwarded email I received from Luke at Callaway so the seller can start a claim to recover the money he paid purchasing the fakes.

A great outcome, I hope he recovers his money as well.

Kind Regards, Ken

3oneday
10th June 2010, 10:12 PM
Hi,

It appears the eBay seller I purchased these clubs from was also conned, he thought they were genuine.

excellent outcome for you Ken, however I suspect most of the fake items listed on ebay are probably listed in good faith. The punter selling sees what a good price he can get off whatever website it is, especially when he sees them retailing for twice what he paid.

Ala the number of websites that get listed on here, somehow the fraudulent ones end up on the top of most search engines too !

daMANiack
10th June 2010, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I buy 100% Authentic and Genuine golf equipment from my Direct Sales agents in USA and sell in OZ and I'm amazed with the difference in prices, I can normally sell at a 35-40% discount compared to OZ RRP's.

Now I here you say, why didn't I buy the Diablo Forged from my suppliers of 100% Authenic and Genuine clubs in USA.

It's because the Diablo Forged are still expensive to purchase in USA due to demand, they were released nearly 6 months earlier in OZ, I thought I got a bargain.

Cheerz :) :D :)

excellent outcome for you Ken, however I suspect most of the fake items listed on ebay are probably listed in good faith. The punter selling sees what a good price he can get off whatever website it is, especially when he sees them retailing for twice what he paid.

Ala the number of websites that get listed on here, somehow the fraudulent ones end up on the top of most search engines too !

3oneday
10th June 2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, Callaway has made this agreement where stuff will be released here before the USA, their way of combatting ebay I guess.

Prices will fall, but if $800USD or thereabouts is the best price you can find over there, anything less here is too dodgy to risk. That's my theory anyway :)

By the way, I was going to mention there was someone using your FT-iz pic in an opposing auction the other day.

daMANiack
10th June 2010, 10:39 PM
Hi m8,

HaHaHa, if you mean my MAIN pic, not much I can do about it, I think I pinched it from the Callaway website. ;)

All the other photos of the clubs are usually always from my stock of clubs, I may not take pics for each listing if I have a number of the same for sale.

I'm a firm believer that a potential buyer sees what's he's buying, especially if the club/irons are used. Very rarely does a potentially buyer ask me about the items condition as there's plenty of pictures and everything has a conservative rating from 7 to 10, I won't sell anything below my 7 rating. My 8.5 rating would be what many sellers class as a 9.0 or 9.5. Even my 9.5 is BRAND NEW, just isn't wrapped in plastic.

Rating
Condition

10 out of 10
BRAND NEW IN PLASTIC

9.5 out of 10

Ex-Display stock, shows little wear, does not appear to have been hit. Does not have plastic on the head.

9.0 out of 10

Have played a few rounds. No bag chatter.

8.5 out of 10

Shows signs of normal use, but have no sky marks on woods. There are little to no dings on irons or wedges, may have been professionally re-conditioned.

8.0 out of 10

Shows signs of normal use. May show small marks or nicks on the club head or shaft from normal use.

By the way, I was going to mention there was someone using your FT-iz pic in an opposing auction the other day.