PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs.

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 05:20 PM
Playing on monday zuesgolfer pointed out I grip the club with my left thumb around the grip instead of pointing down the grip.

Played around a bit with both today and hit some good and some bad shots. Any reason why I shouldn't keep the thumb wrapped round.

I think it is because I play cricket.

Cheers.

Your cyber pal

Yoss.

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 06:26 PM
Bueller?

KristianJ
9th June 2010, 06:29 PM
I have my left thumb pointing down the grip and I play cricket.

Back to the drawing board for you, I guess :p

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 06:30 PM
It is not the why that bothers me, more the is it a bad thing?

AndyP
9th June 2010, 06:40 PM
Do you find yourself playing sweep shots often?

LarryLong
9th June 2010, 06:47 PM
Kinda hard to hit the ball when you're down on one knee, isn't it Andy?

For the record I'm a cricketer and I have the left thumb going down the grip. Of course, I use an interlocking grip which maybe puts my hands a fraction closer together and that's about the only place I could put my thumb in that instance.

I guess if it works for you, go with it, but others might be able to tell you what sort of f**kups your grip will be promoting. :)

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah I use interlock to, I hadn't even really thought about my thumbs until now. I am so conflicted!

Tomson
9th June 2010, 06:56 PM
Can I be your cyber friend yoss? I put the thumb in different positions depending on shot shape and what I want to do.

AndyP
9th June 2010, 06:57 PM
If your handicap is more than zigwah's, change your grip. Otherwise, carry on.

sms316
9th June 2010, 06:58 PM
When you get hold of one is your first though that there is two in it if you run hard?

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 06:58 PM
Can I be your cyber friend yoss? I put the thumb in different positions depending on shot shape and what I want to do.

Sure you will have to fight with just for no 1 cyber friend status though! :)

Interesting about moving the thumb around, when i had it straight my left wrist felt a lot weaker but the hands felt more at one.

When you get hold of one is your first though that there is two in it if you run hard?

:D

If your handicap is more than zigwah's, change your grip. Otherwise, carry on.

I believe I am winning that battle. Good point!

Tomson
9th June 2010, 07:00 PM
Hey SMS has your thumb scored a supergoal? ;)

sms316
9th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Not possible.

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 07:02 PM
You have just got to come at it from the reverse angle SMS!

Tomson
9th June 2010, 07:03 PM
The famous reach around...

razaar
9th June 2010, 07:03 PM
Yoss you are a throw back to the golfers of the 1800's. That is how they gripped the club with ten fingers and both thumbs wrapped around the club. This grip is called the Mitchell's grip.

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 07:05 PM
It is only my top thumb raz, the bottom one is straight. So I am some funky hybrid!

kingslayer33
9th June 2010, 07:09 PM
Kinda hard to hit the ball when you're down on one knee, isn't it Andy?

Hey Larry, Charles Barkley does a pretty good effort at getting on one knee when he hits the ball ...

s50K65PNeBU

Zeusgolf
9th June 2010, 07:12 PM
I shouldn't have told you....

Yossarian
9th June 2010, 07:14 PM

:lol:

I know, its all good, I just went back to normal and everything is fine. A grip shouldn't be messed with too much IMO and I don't think what I am doing is causing too much drama.

Eldrick
9th June 2010, 07:25 PM
Or saved it a skins game

dhills2
10th June 2010, 11:29 AM
It is only my top thumb raz, the bottom one is straight. So I am some funky hybrid!

Lol, I thought the norm was the exact opposite - ie. most righties have the left thumb on top pointing down the shaft (and acting as a fulcrum point, or at least a point where you get the 'feel' of where the club is at the top) & their right thumb slightly wrapped around/over.

Personally I find it more comfortable to have the left thumb on top and pointing down the shaft but that right hand of mine tends to get lazy and slowly work its way clockwise during a round.

bergsey
12th June 2010, 10:14 PM
Playing on monday zuesgolfer pointed out I grip the club with my left thumb around the grip instead of pointing down the grip.

Played around a bit with both today and hit some good and some bad shots. Any reason why I shouldn't keep the thumb wrapped round.

I think it is because I play cricket.

Cheers.

Your cyber pal

Yoss.

Yoss, perhaps you need your clubs tailor made to fit your grip strength - like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTb1ia5esMA&feature=related

sms316
13th June 2010, 07:49 AM
I suspect Yoss already owns the purple leg warmers anyway.