PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 7th June

KristianJ
7th June 2010, 04:02 PM
Quiet 18 holes at Windsor today. Course was in pretty good nick considering the Sydney rains of last week. Played off the back tees.

Ended up on 79 (42/37). 3 birdies, 8 pars, 4 bogeys and 4 double bogeys. My percentage of effective tee shots was pleasing, and I was really happy with my driver play.

Otherwise, it was a very up and down round where there was absolutely no consistency when it came to my short game or putting. I holed a few nice 15-20 footers for 2 of my birdies (on 6 and 16), but I just didn't have a good feel for the speed of the greens. Also missed a few inside a metre as well. I had 4 or 5 shots around 100-110m that bordered on hooks instead of gentle draws, and I couldn't make the up and downs.

The wind was swirling around a bit across the front 9, but I'm not blaming it for my poor start (double, double, bogey).

Mahor highlight was a 6 iron on the 11th (par 3 playing about 167m today) to 40cm, making the birdie a formality. That was one of those gentle draws that actually played out as I intended it to.

Next round will be twilight @ The Oaks in Cessnock on Wednesday - will probably only get 9 holes in.

Courty
8th June 2010, 05:40 PM
18 at Paradise Palms this morning with Bruce and some of the NQ OZgolfers (although Chopper71 was noticeably absent :roll:).

I hit some very solid shots and some quite poor ones, particularly on the back 9. Putting was a wake-up call due to the greens being much faster than anything else in the region. Somehow I escaped with only 1 3-jack. :shock:

My aim for the day was to finish with a stableford score of 30 or better. I had an 8 ft eagle putt on the last hole which would have got me the 30 pts, but it burned the edge (only putt all day that didn't break :roll:) so I failed dismally.

87 gross
29 pts

5 fairways
7 greens
33 putts (estimated)

Outcast
9th June 2010, 05:09 PM
Pacific 4BBB Stableford at Cairns today....

My partner and I managed to go bad hole for bad hole and amassed a grand total of 40pts....

Had 34 individually; some good holes and still some I'd rather not discuss!

6 FIR (Now that's more like me)
6 GIR
9 Pars
6 Bogeys
3 Doubles
32 Putts

Daves
9th June 2010, 06:23 PM
4BBB Multiplier at Reddie Bay today. Individually finished with 37 pts with 1 wipe:roll: We paired for 73 points.

Bogeyed the first when the par was there for the taking, then birdie, par, par, par, par to be even par after 6. Then my concentration got interrupted and a couple of wobbles to finish 5 over on the front. Steadied the ship a little on the back but the damage was done. 41/44 or 20/17 points was the end result, so close to that break through round I could almost taste it!

6/18 GIR
9/14 FIR
33 Putts

Flavzz
10th June 2010, 05:52 PM
Played 18 holes at Regency Park today and shot 79 (+9) 38/41 and played pretty well overall. Drove the ball nicely. It's not the longest track but a fair challenge so i was pretty happy. Had 2 birdies, Drained a 40 footer and made one other shorter one. Could easily have gone low 70s due to some poor shots and decisions. Had 2 doubles in the front as well.

Outcast
10th June 2010, 05:55 PM
Played 18 holes at Regency Park today and shot 79 (+9) 38/41 and played pretty well overall. Drove the ball nicely. It's not the longest track but a fair challenge so i was pretty happy. Had 2 birdies, Drained a 40 footer and made one other shorter one. Could easily have gone low 70s due to some poor shots and decisions. Had 2 doubles in the front as well.

Is that the 9 Hole track at Regency Park in South Australia Flavzz?? I used to play there every Sunday morning with my Father when I was just a young pup... Geez, that would be like 30 years ago now...

Flavzz
10th June 2010, 06:08 PM
That's the one mate. It's not too bad a track. Rain made it a bit boggy today but it's enjoyable playing from the different tees the second time through.

Ned
10th June 2010, 06:23 PM
Royal Gordonvale today - Single Stableford

35 points (17/18)
FIR 2
GIR 6
Putts 30

Dcanto
10th June 2010, 11:24 PM
Royal Gordonvale today - Single Stableford

35 points (17/18)
FIR 2
GIR 6
Putts 30

How is the old Royal Gordonvale?

Ned
11th June 2010, 05:32 AM
How is the old Royal Gordonvale?

Depends on who you talk to ....................... new Captain of one month is no longer, greens are coming back pretty well, the rough is pretty deadly!

sms316
11th June 2010, 06:07 AM
new Captain of one month is no longer

That sets a new record.

Incompetent or work-related?

haysey
11th June 2010, 07:34 AM
new Captain of one month is no longer

Is this Maxie you're talking about? Or has Eric pulled the pin already?

That sets a new record.

Incompetent or work-related?

I'd suspect neither. There's issues at Gordonvale that can see your life made very difficult.

solarman
11th June 2010, 12:12 PM

Nothin' to do with this of cause.

Flavzz
11th June 2010, 05:41 PM
Broke my personal best today by 4 shots at the Patawolonga. I was -1 thru 5 holes and ended up
shooting 36 even par on the front which was a first. Played the next 8 holes well and was still only +1 thru 17. Ended up doublng the last after a poor drive for a 75. I've only once shot a 79 there before today so it was a great day.

KristianJ
11th June 2010, 06:23 PM
Brief summary of my few days up @ Cessnock and surrounds:

Wed: The Oaks @ Cessnock - didn't keep a score, but only about 3 or 4 pars and the rest a mix of bogeys and a couple of doubles. The wind was ferocious...most powerful westerly I've ever played. I managed to smoke a 330m wind assisted drive down their 460ish m par 5, but other than that it was a mix of average golf. I forgot to pack enough long tees for the driver, so had to make do with a short one from the 7th onwards. OK course with surprisingly fast greens.
Yesty: The Vintage. Managed to get 36 holes in (first 18 w/ Tongueboy, and the 2nd 18 on my lonesome - the pro shop attendant let me play the 2nd round free of charge, which was very good!). As I covered in the 1st Tee thread, I raised the bat and shot an even 100. A mix of tragic stroke play, the wind, and very challenging pin positions, and the first hole I parred was the 15th. 88 the second time around, and first hole I parred was the 2nd. Fantastic track, greens as fast as I thought they would be, and despite my inadequacies on the day, enjoyed the time there
Today: Hunter Valley G & CC. Another mostly hopeless display with rare bursts of brilliance. 97 off the stick translated to 29 points on the Callaway system. Course was pretty enjoyable otherwise, although the greens were rather slow.

Overall, I was too inconsistent to be happy with how I played. Need to think more about the right approach to windy weather, work on knockdown shots and hitting the ball low enough to not be swept so far off course that finding it is a lost cause. Monday seems so long ago. :lol: Nice area though - will need to get up there again when the weather's a little more inviting.

Ned
11th June 2010, 07:15 PM
Is this Maxie you're talking about? Or has Eric pulled the pin already?

I'd suspect neither. There's issues at Gordonvale that can see your life made very difficult.

Neither.

Trevor Miller was the Captain. Officially he resigned for personal reasons..........................wow thats a line thats been used some where else recently!:roll:

sms316
11th June 2010, 07:21 PM
Neither.

Trevor Miller was the Captain. Officially he resigned for personal reasons..........................wow thats a line thats been used some where else recently!:roll:

As in the NSW Government?

Ned
11th June 2010, 07:27 PM
Thats one place!

haysey
11th June 2010, 07:36 PM
Neither.

Yeah, I heard the story regarding Mr. Miller earlier this evening. I also heard he will apparently need a good lawyer:mrgreen:

Ned
11th June 2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I heard the story regarding Mr. Miller earlier this evening. I also heard he will apparently need a good lawyer:mrgreen:

But according to some people, he is a saint and anything he says (even heard third hand) is correct!

mike
11th June 2010, 07:43 PM

henno
12th June 2010, 08:56 AM
Good work Flavzz!

Flavzz
12th June 2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks henno. Double on the last left a sour taste in my mouth tho.

Courty
12th June 2010, 12:19 PM
I had an absolute chop this morning in the first round of the Club Champs. I turned at 5 over, and doubled nearly every hole on the back 9 as I fought to find a swing. :cry:
I flushed the last full swing of the day, so I should be right for matchplay tomorrow.

93 gross :oops:
85 nett

5 fairways
1 green :cry:
31 putts

5 pars
7 bogies
5 doubles
1 other (quad)

Outcast
12th June 2010, 01:26 PM
I had an absolute chop this morning in the first round of the Club Champs. I turned at 5 over, and doubled nearly every hole on the back 9 as I fought to find a swing. :cry:
I flushed the last full swing of the day, so I should be right for matchplay tomorrow.

Courty; I didn't know you were my golfiing twin??

I largely did the same as I chopped my way around to an 89 / 80. 7 over at the turn thanks to a double on the 18th, then par, dub, dub, dub, bog, bog, par, dub, par, bog......

AAAAAAARGGGGHHHHH and 37 putts to go with it......:smt087

PeteyD
12th June 2010, 02:24 PM
Foursomes Champs round 1 at Reddy Bay with Goonie today. First time I have played foursomes. You'd think that 2 heads together would improve your course management ... fwiw we ended with a net 79.

haysey
12th June 2010, 04:27 PM

I hereby resolve to never throw a club again.

Knew I had this post saved for a reason:mrgreen:

Outcast
12th June 2010, 05:19 PM

Sometimes ya just have to.......

Courty
12th June 2010, 06:24 PM

Yeah yeah, ya got me. :neutral:

It was a good throw though, wasn't it? :razz:

Eag's
12th June 2010, 06:31 PM

Did this one end up in a tree as well? :razz:

Courty
12th June 2010, 06:32 PM

Would you believe that club is still up there?

Eag's
12th June 2010, 06:33 PM
:lol:

haysey
12th June 2010, 06:37 PM

Twas a +40 meter throw. Impressive stuff, I'll laser the exact distance next week.

I was to scared to do it this morning:D

razaar
12th June 2010, 07:47 PM
Foursomes Champs round 1 at Reddy Bay with Goonie today. First time I have played foursomes. You'd think that 2 heads together would improve your course management ... fwiw we ended with a net 79.
Yep, only one game worse than foursomes...mixed foursomes.

McMw
12th June 2010, 09:59 PM
shot a WTF 81 today which was helped by 34 putts, and 5 penalty shots...AwEsOmE!!! :roll:

WBennett
13th June 2010, 08:34 AM
38 points around Leeton GC yesterday to be tied leading A Grade when I left... My 20 points for the front 9 were more than I scored in my entire last round :shock:

Kristians Mizzies could be in for long time, they were sweet.

Jack's TM Rac LT's to be back on the market soon!

KristianJ
13th June 2010, 12:05 PM
38 points around Leeton GC yesterday to be tied leading A Grade when I left... My 20 points for the front 9 were more than I scored in my entire last round :shock:

My Mizzies could be in for long time, they were sweet.

Jack's TM Rac LT's to be back on the market soon!

Fixed. :p Nice shooting indeed!

Dotty
13th June 2010, 03:08 PM
I'd like to congratulate Benno, but that may violate his 'shuddup Dotty' order in Kristian's Adams driver thread. ;)

ps. 36 Wednesday, 34 yesterday, 32 today. No lost balls.

Outcast
13th June 2010, 05:10 PM
Drummonds Day at Sea Temple Links today.... 34pts off the plates however, this really doesn't illustrate my round or my frustration...

Shotgun start: I started at 16....

Front 9: 44 off the stick
Back 9: 38 off the stick

1 Birdie
8 Pars
8 Bogeys
1 Triple Bogey

FIR 12
GIR 9
Putts 36 Dammit
Chipping: Abysmal...

Took a 3 iron for safety on the first; won't ever do that again as I speared it in the water.... Should have just hit the driver through the fairway... much better result!!!! :mad:

My short game around the green and putting is just so damn unreliable... Time to see my pro I think and get this bit of my game sorted once and for all...!!!!

matty
13th June 2010, 07:41 PM
30 points with 5 wipes. couldn't string two good holes together. nuff said.

McMw
13th June 2010, 09:18 PM
11 shots beta today, and yet again (3rd time in the last couple of months) a miss birdie putt from 6ft in for that 69!!! :roll:

Scottt
15th June 2010, 01:53 AM
Won the Casa Serena Open media day event last Tuesday at Casa Serena in the Czech Republic, beat about 100 other journos from Czech and the UK.

Was +4 through 6 holes but got it together for the last 12 to shoot 78 (+7) for 36pts and a one-shot win.

Two three-putt bogeys was a lowlight. Parring the final four holes knowing I was in with a shot of the win was a highlight.

Hit 10 of the last 11 fairways (11/14 total) and 6 of the last 9 greens (10 total).

Scored an Oscar Jacobsen rain/wind jacket worth £100 for my troubles, and some Z-Stars.

Handicap down to 6.1 now.