PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Ping Eye 2's

Bushka
6th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Mate has a set of ping Eye 2's black dots still in the plastic what are they worth these days? He wants to get rid of them but doesn't know what the market is like for them. I had a look on ebay but they are all over the place. Lots of different prices etc.

Anyone an authority on these things?

Webster
6th June 2010, 07:38 PM
Are they the "+" model?
What shafts are in them?
Are they 3-PW?
Are they stainless heads or BeCu?
Any pics you can post?

simmsy
6th June 2010, 09:04 PM
$250.00 - PM me.

MegaWatty
6th June 2010, 09:04 PM
LOL!

Bushka
7th June 2010, 08:24 AM
Will grab some more info off him this arvo. I have a suspicion they are the + model with stainless steel heads. My old mans got the copper ones still which he just replaced with mp 52's and i've been trying to grab them off him for a while now, the bastard refuses to give them up.

davepuppies
7th June 2010, 09:32 AM
If they dont have the + on them, they are not worth much as they are not conforming

Bushka
7th June 2010, 09:40 AM
I know these are the ones with the box grooves? Thats what he mentioned when we talked last.

Webster
7th June 2010, 10:00 AM
they all had square grooves.

simmsy
7th June 2010, 10:25 AM
they are conforming if they don't have the plus on them.

Webster
7th June 2010, 10:39 AM
no simmsy, they are only R&A conforming if they have the "+" on them, or if they are the "plus-no-plus" model, which are quite rare. The orginal, unmodified Eye2's cannot be used in comps here.

idgolfguy
7th June 2010, 12:00 PM
Aren't the originals approved because of the court case that 'grandfathered' them for use worldwide?

henno
7th June 2010, 12:02 PM
Aren't the originals approved because of the court case that 'grandfathered' them for use worldwide?

They are for the USGA, whom the court case involved. Not the R&A.

Webster
7th June 2010, 12:10 PM
correct

Captain Nemo
7th June 2010, 12:54 PM
no simmsy, they are only R&A conforming if they have the "+" on them, or if they are the "plus-no-plus" model, which are quite rare. The orginal, unmodified Eye2's cannot be used in comps here.

Whos going to know the difference in a comp at your home club..........

henno
7th June 2010, 12:56 PM
Whos going to know the difference in a comp at your home club..........

I've been asked four times at my club in the last month if my BeCu irons were illegal.

Webster
7th June 2010, 12:57 PM
Apart from the player using them, anyone who looks in the cavity of the iron.

You can't play with non conforming equipment in a competition - it is cheating.

Bushka
7th June 2010, 01:08 PM
whats the + no + model you speak of?

henno
7th June 2010, 01:19 PM
whats the + no + model you speak of?

Call Ping and give them the serial number?

simmsy
7th June 2010, 05:27 PM
I know of a number of people that are using them without the + on them and have done for many years including a club champion at my old club and i know he is still using them. No one has ever questioned it i guess.

Webster
7th June 2010, 06:00 PM
simmsy, they may be using the original ones that have been sent back to PING (in the early 90's) that had the grooves modified so they were conforming. If so, they should have a certificate from PING stating they have been modified, and also some of the ones that were modified had a "o" drilled into the cavity where the "+" should be.

If they are using the old ones that haven't been modified then they are cheating.

Of course if the R&A had simply grandfathered them after the Karsten settlement in the way the USGA did then this would all be irrelevant, expecially considering how little difference those square grooves actually made to the performance of the ball (ie none)

simmsy
7th June 2010, 06:39 PM
So, excuse my ignorance, our equipment (in Australia) must fall under the R&A guidelines all the time? Is that correct?

I had a look on the R&A site but couldn't find a list of non-conforming irons. Drivers, yes but not irons.

Webster
7th June 2010, 07:04 PM
yes simmsy

simmsy
7th June 2010, 07:17 PM
cheers!

I'll have some fun with this.

goughy
8th June 2010, 06:51 AM
I've been asked four times at my club in the last month if my BeCu irons were illegal.

And you answer, heck yeah, they're illegal! But after your partners see your first swing, they realise they aren't going to affect the results for the day ;)

razaar
8th June 2010, 08:40 AM
My understanding is the issue with the non-conforming Pings is the distance between the grooves not the shape and depth of the grooves.

Veefore
8th June 2010, 09:10 AM
Razaar is right. it was actually the radius of the grooves edges which were the problem. The USGA and R&A measured from the edge of where the radius begins, rather than from where the actual sides of the grooves begin which is where Ping measured. As such, under the rules the grooves were too close together. Ping rectified this free under "warranty" by grinding down the faces of the clubs thereby making the radii at the edge of the grooves further apart. Technically it is a modification that almost anyone could do to make non-conforming clubs conform. I hope that makes sense...

Webster
8th June 2010, 09:21 AM
Correct Veefore, however I am pretty sure that the be considered legal they had to be done by PING and not just by someone in their backyard. Hence the certificate being provided by PING to remove any doubt.

Veefore
8th June 2010, 09:32 AM
Technically, as long as a club conforms to the specs in the rule book it doesn't matter who did it. It is up to the competitions committee to prove that your clubs don't comply.
The difficulty is finding someone with the measuring equipment to prove your equipment complies when some arseclown starts calling you a cheat.
That's where the certificate from Ping matters.:)

Webster
8th June 2010, 09:35 AM
I reckon it might have been part of the settlement with PING that they had to do the modifications on the Eye2's, not just anyone.

Veefore
8th June 2010, 02:22 PM
I reckon it might have been part of the settlement with PING that they had to do the modifications on the Eye2's, not just anyone.

Part of the settlement was that they had to agree to do the modifications but I don't recall anywhere saying that only they could do them. Thinking about it though and how the non conforming lists work if the clubs do appear on a non-conforming list in their standard guise then that might matter. Maybe by using the drilling in the back of the club ( the + no +) as a sort of addition to the model name that makes it officially a different model. In that case, it could only be done by the manufacturer.

Captain Nemo
8th June 2010, 02:24 PM

Yeh, so what you tell them they are legal.

Captain Nemo
8th June 2010, 02:26 PM
And you answer, heck yeah, they're illegal! But after your partners see your first swing, they realise they aren't going to affect the results for the day ;)

Thats what im talking about, us choppers are not good enough to get the most out of these irons anyway.

Bushka
8th June 2010, 07:35 PM
Ok found out some more details.

They are the Ping Eye 2 model no + on them, long story short they were shipped over from the factory in Phoenix direct to oz in 2008.

They have awt stiff shafts in em and are still in the box they were shipped in never been hit.

2 to Lob wedge. Has the Pw Sw & Lob wedge all unhit so thats pretty cool.

Is there a way to tell if they had the actual work done to make them legal? they just look mint.

They are the stainless steel version. The end.

1/2 inch over standard...so from what i'm reading here the clubs are illegal regardless since they are not the + version?

henno
8th June 2010, 07:36 PM
Is there a way to tell if they had the actual work done to make them legal?

↘↘↘↘↘

Call Ping and give them the serial number?

Bushka
8th June 2010, 09:42 PM
righto will tell him to get his gear sorted :)

hope your shoulders ok tomorrow mate.

Chris32
9th June 2010, 01:53 PM
Mate of mine had the plus no plus version, it has the Karsten stamping up the other way - just to make things more confusing!

My dad has a set in the shed he bought when the + model came out, they are mint - 1 iron to SW. Used them quite a bit and they are great clubs

This dude seems to be a bit of an authority on them - http://www.pongman.com/

Oldplayer
13th June 2010, 09:50 AM
So the plus no plus version are legal for play under the R@A rules? I think i read on their website that under the new 2010 groove rule they are not legal.

henno
13th June 2010, 09:57 AM
Even if that's the case, it won't affect amateurs until 2024.

Chris32
22nd November 2012, 10:35 AM
A friend has given me his set of Eye 2+'s, stainless heads. 4-LW, orange dot with KT shafts to sell, as his back is stuffed and he has given up golf

What do you reckon these are worth? They are in good condition

simmsy
22nd November 2012, 02:52 PM
$150

Chris32
22nd November 2012, 03:07 PM
Kinda what is was thinking, he was hoping for around $350, but I think that's very optimistic!

Johnny Canuck
22nd November 2012, 03:45 PM
There is a set on Gumtree over here for $200.

Oldplayer
22nd November 2012, 08:18 PM
The stainless are not as sought after as the be-cu and their popularity seems to be a little less than a few years ago. Typically sets used to sell on ebay for up to $350 a few years ago, but not now. I have seen sets listed around $200 that haven't sold.
To answer your question they are worth what you can get for them. I would estimate $250 tops.

Webster
22nd November 2012, 09:02 PM
Orange dot (4 flat) holds their price well down. Black and blue dot are the best sellers. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for the orange dots.

damoocow
24th August 2013, 08:07 PM
any ozgolfers playing the eye 2 + irons atm - any reviews?

goughy
24th August 2013, 08:24 PM
When I hit my 1 iron sweet off the tee you don't even feel the impact. I'd love a set and regardless of age probably still some of the best irons around. You looking, or found a set cheap?

damoocow
25th August 2013, 12:25 AM
Saw some cheapish , happy with current irons but thinking of going back to steel shafts for a change

goughy
25th August 2013, 07:40 AM
If ya gonna be a bit retro, do it with one of the best irons ever made. I'd say go for it.

qbnchopper
25th August 2013, 10:14 AM
I'm on the eye 2 + train and loving it - I have blue dots with s400 and oversize grips .... having used a few GI clubs x16, g5, g2, ap1 etc - these are better I reckon .....

Looney
26th August 2013, 11:01 AM
I have just had a set of ISI's in beCu reshafted and am loving them, not as good as the eye 2's but a great iron

spanner039
26th August 2013, 12:22 PM
I have just had a set of ISI's in beCu reshafted and am loving them, not as good as the eye 2's but a great iron

Not exactly the most forgiving Iron Ping came out with !!!!!

Good luck with them Looney

Looney
26th August 2013, 01:26 PM
I think they are a very forgiving iron spanner compared the mizuno mp 68's I have been using