PDA

View Full Version : Why taper tip shafts in OEM iron clubs?

razaar
1st June 2010, 08:04 PM
When doing a search to answer this question, I came across this opinion about custom clubs.

http://clubdoctor.com/whycustom/custom.html

I still remain ignorant as to why taper tips are installed in generic sets. Does anybody know the reason?

markTHEblake
1st June 2010, 08:34 PM
buggar you Ray, i read all that only to find out it didnt reveal that answer to that question, and I am already a convert.
Maybe i should have read your post a bit more closely !

virge666
1st June 2010, 08:51 PM
My understanding is that taper tips were good when we didn't have good epoxys available.

Nowadays - it doesn't make any difference. The advantage is that if you have a frequency analyser, you can match shafts by frequency by continually tipping the shaft.

razaar
1st June 2010, 09:27 PM
Yes but tapers are still the stock shaft in OEM assembled clubs. I seem to recall a comment by somebody recently that many pros prefer the tapers because they give better control.

I am more inclined to suspect that it has something to do with drilling the hosel during manufacture. There will be more room for error using a tapered bit with metal than a parallel bit, therefore there would be less rejections under quality control. But I am only guessing.

goonie
1st June 2010, 10:27 PM
I read that Pros prefer Tapers in there irons, something about the feel. but can't remember where I read it and it doesn't explain why OEM's use them.

One reason OEM's might use tapers could be that most tapers are constant weight, and they don't have to worry about accurate tip trimming and sorting of shafts.

3oneday
2nd June 2010, 07:48 AM
Yes but tapers are still the stock shaft in OEM assembled clubs
Only the decent clubs are tapered though ? A set of R7's will be parallel yet a set of R7 TP's are tapered, ie choppers sticks are generally parallel.

IanO
2nd June 2010, 08:31 AM
OK ... so how do we know it a club has a taper or parallel tip? Do my AP2's have a taper or parallel tip shaft? Is there a good club builder in Melbourne?

3oneday
2nd June 2010, 08:32 AM
AP2's if genuine are tapered.

henno
2nd June 2010, 08:32 AM
AP2s are taper.

IanO
2nd June 2010, 08:34 AM
Ta Henno ... now where do I find a Tourfit in Melbourne?

IanO
2nd June 2010, 08:35 AM
3OD my AP2's are from my local Pro, so they better be real!

virge666
2nd June 2010, 12:10 PM
OK ... so how do we know it a club has a taper or parallel tip? Do my AP2's have a taper or parallel tip shaft? Is there a good club builder in Melbourne?

You measure the diameter of the shaft just before the hosel.

If it is .355", then it is a taper tip
If it is .370", then is it a parallel tip

Next problem ?

TourFit
2nd June 2010, 12:32 PM
Ta Henno ... now where do I find a Tourfit in Melbourne?

Awww, shucks !! Thanks IanO...

...you could fly me to Melbourne !!!! :wink:

It's an interesting question Razaar...and I'm sure there are many reasons....

I think Goonie has a point with the constant weight / no tip trimming, but it also means more inventory for the shaft manufacturers too (doesn't make much sense economically).

Don't know in this day and age about drilling accuracy being that big a problem though Ray...after all, rejection of heads can come from MANY things (under or over weight tolerance, loft & lie tolerances, chroming or polishing issues, face sand blasting problems, stamping or milled groove errors etc etc)

I tend to think it's a looking backwards issue...a lot of pro's/better players are familiar with taper tips... and the equivalent parallel's DO feel and play slightly differently. I think also, that's why the more game improvement versions tend to have parallel tips and also helps with shaft inventory ('cos they 'might' not have the same level of game or feel to REALLY notice the difference)

Yossarian
2nd June 2010, 12:39 PM
Please for all our sakes IanO!

TourFit
2nd June 2010, 12:44 PM
If I'm in Melbourne I can't do your club work...BTW, are you still coming up here?? Or is it the usual Yoss "piss in the wind"!!

Yossarian
2nd June 2010, 12:47 PM
I am trying to find the mental fortitude to make the journey. It may happen today but I have to do some housework first.

TourFit
2nd June 2010, 01:03 PM
Why, for some reason, am I picturing Freddie Mercury and "I Want To Break Free"...

IanO
2nd June 2010, 01:04 PM
...you could fly me to Melbourne !!!! :wink:

What use would you be in Melbourne without that fitting shop of yours?

IanO
2nd June 2010, 01:14 PM
Maybe I should come to Perth :mrgreen:

Maybe play a round or two

TourFit
2nd June 2010, 01:17 PM
That could work...