PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the ball from the opposite side

AndyP
28th May 2004, 06:03 PM
When I played at Federal GC, one of my partners was a Lefty who chipped the correct way, that is, right handed. :shock:

He said that when his chipping starts to go bad he swaps around.
I suppose this is because he might get more control on the other side and swapping dominant hands, as power isn't really needed for chip shots.

Anyone else seen anything like this or actually do it themselves? I have some of you talk about guys that have swapped sides altogether.

This also brings in a whole new realm of possibilities for a ho. Left and Right handed clubs. :roll:

goughy
28th May 2004, 06:59 PM
I've heard of some people who putt on the opposite side.

AndyP
28th May 2004, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I guess I can understand putting on the other side, goughy. Not too many adjustments to the action.

990B Luva
28th May 2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah a guy that Onewood and I played with at Logan played right handed but putted lefty

Eag's
28th May 2004, 08:25 PM
I played left handed for about 18 months quite a few years ago :shock:
Didn't do to bad, got down to a 14 handicap :D

Onewood
28th May 2004, 08:35 PM
I played left handed for about 18 months quite a few years ago :shock:
Didn't do to bad, got down to a 14 handicap :D

:shock: What made you change :shock: do you carry a left handed club in the bag :roll:

Actually you could play left handed tomorrow and still beat Jarro and Golfer69, Tezza is already a lefty so you might struggle there :D

Get down early and hit a couple of lefty's for us :P :P

Eag's
28th May 2004, 08:41 PM
Get down early and hit a couple of lefty's for us

Ok kev, might just do that :wink:
Mind you it has been awhile :oops:

markTHEblake
28th May 2004, 09:31 PM
Most sensible golfers wouldnt chip from the other side as takes away one club in the bag, which is something most cant afford.

Jeff Wagner a touring pro putts from both sides. A natural right hander, putts left handed on his short putts.

jaster
28th May 2004, 09:47 PM
Most sensible golfers wouldnt chip from the other side as takes away one club in the bag, which is something most cant afford.

Jeff Wagner a touring pro putts from both sides. A natural right hander, putts left handed on his short putts.

I have a tape of the unsung lefty Steve Flesch hitting perfect drives with a swing to die for right handed. He said it helps his balance? Vijay also hits lefthanded for the same reason. Mac O'grady was a scratch marker off both hands :shock:

My dad started golf as a lefty but changed to a righty as he got given a good set of righty woods (15 years ago). He was playing off 15 hitting woods off the tee right hand and playing the rest of the way lefthand. He then changed to all righty and got down to 12...now he comfortably plays off 17 righthanded only.

McMw
28th May 2004, 10:23 PM
Blaine McAlister (sp?)
WOW...talk about blast from the past...
journeyman on the USPGA tour for the past 10odd years maybe...is one who plays golf right handed, but putts left handed...

The most recent player to do this is Begay (depending on the break of the putt)...but I think he's ditched that silly routine already... :lol: must be taking too much of Tiger's money lately...

Didn't Ogle use to putt left handed too??? Before he went to the Langer grip??? I know he chipped cack-handed for a while...so did Peter Senior...

I'm not afraid to admit that I did putt lefthanded once (for a 9)...
maybe it was the shocking condition of the greens, but I putted worse!!! :lol:

markTHEblake
28th May 2004, 11:03 PM
I remember there is one pro who was also a very good golfer on the other side. May have been Steve Flesch, when he had a problem he would practice the opposite side and when he worked it out, revert to his natural side. weird.

Harry Vardon was almost as good left handed as he was right handed. I beleive he changed to left handed for the 'challenge'

AndyP
29th May 2004, 08:51 AM
Harry Vardon was almost as good left handed as he was right handed. I beleive he changed to left handed for the 'challenge'

Does golf ever get that easy that you need another challenge? :shock:

Golfgirl
29th May 2004, 12:15 PM
I have a tape of the unsung lefty Steve Flesch hitting perfect drives with a swing to die for right handed. He said it helps his balance? Vijay also hits lefthanded for the same reason. Mac O'grady was a scratch marker off both hands :shock:

I'm sure I've said this before... but my physio recommended that we should all do some practice from the opposite side to which we play. Matt is a perfect example - take his shirt off, and you will soon notice that the right side of his back is more muscular than the left and causes his right shoulder blade to sit an inch further away from his spine than his left shoulder blade.... :shock:

I personally can't hit a ball left handed using a full swing, but I can chip out from under trees left handed using the back of an iron.... :wink:

I think that Begay has changed to putting entirely right handed now - hasn't he?? :?

AndyP
29th May 2004, 12:56 PM
GG, I do remember you mentioning that. As a result, I occasionally (but not enough) swing the club the other way during my round to balance out.

senecio
30th May 2004, 07:29 AM
My next door neighbour plays right handed but grips the club left handed (left hand low). He hits it about 225 off the tee and plays off 14.

He says it feels more comfortable to swing this way?

Ryan

McMw
30th May 2004, 11:15 AM

I'm sure I've said this before... but my physio recommended that we should all do some practice from the opposite side to which we play. Matt is a perfect example - take his shirt off, and you will soon notice that the right side of his back is more muscular than the left and causes his right shoulder blade to sit an inch further away from his spine than his left shoulder blade.... :shock:

I personally can't hit a ball left handed using a full swing, but I can chip out from under trees left handed using the back of an iron.... :wink:

I think that Begay has changed to putting entirely right handed now - hasn't he?? :?

fred couples warms up by swinging left-handed...
but Shingo actually hits balls at the range lefthanded as warmups!!! :shock:

Courty
30th May 2004, 09:17 PM
There are a couple of guys at my club who hit right-handed and putt lefty. Both of them are ambidextrous (and both happen to be switch-hitters in baseball)

AndyP
31st May 2004, 08:29 AM
There are a couple of guys at my club who hit right-handed and putt lefty. Both of them are ambidextrous (and both happen to be switch-hitters in baseball)
What's a switch hitter :?:

terryand
31st May 2004, 08:39 AM
He can switch from riht hand to left hand to try and stuff up the pitchers rhythm.

Terry.

AndyP
31st May 2004, 09:06 AM
He can switch from riht hand to left hand to try and stuff up the pitchers rhythm.

Terry.
Thought it might be something like that. Thanks PT. :P
Ambidextrous indeed. :shock: