PDA

View Full Version : AFL advice

amanda
12th April 2005, 04:09 PM
Hi all,

Now - I have no idea about AFL - but I'm heading to Melbourne in July for a conference and some collegues have mentioned that Brad and I should get out to a game to see how crazy Melbournians are!

So - here are the 2 options:

Geelong vs. Hawthorn, Telstra Dome, 2:10 PM
Western Bulldogs vs. St. Kilda, M.C.G., 2:10 PM

I'm thinking that the MCG game might be the best because it's close to our hotel (on Collins St near the gardens) and I'll also get to see the new MCG.

Or would the game be better at the Telstra Dome? I have no idea about the form of the participants.

Thanks in advance :D

AndyP
12th April 2005, 04:14 PM
Formwise you could be looking at two floggings.

From a spectactor's point of view, you can't beat Telstra Dome. After all, the ground was made for football, unlike the MCG.

Biggest crowd? Hard to tell. Will depend on form a bit.

I might look into it a little more for you. :cool:

terryand
12th April 2005, 04:14 PM
Hi all,

Now - I have no idea about AFL - but I'm heading to Melbourne in July for a conference and some collegues have mentioned that Brad and I should get out to a game to see how crazy Melbournians are!

So - here are the 2 options:

Geelong vs. Hawthorn, Telstra Dome, 2:10 PM
Western Bulldogs vs. St. Kilda, M.C.G., 2:10 PM

I'm thinking that the MCG game might be the best because it's close to our hotel (on Collins St near the gardens) and I'll also get to see the new MCG.

Or would the game be better at the Telstra Dome? I have no idea about the form of the participants.

Thanks in advance :D

First thing you have to Amande is drop the M.C. and call the hallowed turf "THE G" 8)

You'll fit right in then.

On a serious note If I was going and had a choice of those two games,I'd see if the Melbourne Storm where playing that day,if not take the game At "THE G".

Thats what I would do,seeind as I have not ever been there.

Terry.

oscar
12th April 2005, 04:19 PM
Hi Amanda,

If you want to watch a good match...Bulldogs v Saints should be a better spectacle. Hawks couldnt beat the Geelong cheer squad (I'm a long suffering Hawks fan)

However Telstra Dome is a great new stadium...The G is open and will be cold in July...would be a better atmosphere than the closed in Dome....

Either way have a good time and if you go, cheer on the Hawks for me...

Osc

Flowergirl
12th April 2005, 04:19 PM
You have to go to the Telstra Dome.......great venue......and under cover if it rains. Although the atmosphere at the MCG is pretty special...... :shock: July in Melbourne????????brrrrrrrrrr- go the Dome.

As far as form........ a week is a long time in footy let alone 3 months!

Location is not a problem for either Telstra Dome or MCG......probably similar in distance.
So when did you plan to drive down and see me :?:
How long are you in Melbourne for Mandy?

amanda
12th April 2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the advice - keep it coming!

Is it likely to rain in Melbourne in July? :?:

AndyP
12th April 2005, 06:27 PM
It's likely to rain in Melbourne anyday. Four seasons in one day. ;)

If you want to watch a good match...Bulldogs v Saints should be a better spectacle. Hawks couldnt beat the Geelong cheer squad (I'm a long suffering Hawks fan)
Premiers 2007, oscar. The future looks bright. 8)

By the way, welcome to OZgolf. :)

terryand
12th April 2005, 06:29 PM

AP has found a playmate :smt031

Wecome Oscar even though you support the same team as AP :oops:

Terry.

Iain
12th April 2005, 06:59 PM

AP has found a playmate :smt031

Wecome Oscar even though you support the same team as AP :oops:

Terry.

Welcome Oscar.

We can hope he doesn't support the Brown-cows.

oscar
12th April 2005, 08:08 PM
Not sure about the brown cow reference?

AndyP - This is an outrage...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12825216%255E20322,00.html

Thanks for the welcome's everyone.

Iain
12th April 2005, 08:17 PM
Not sure about the brown cow reference?

AndyP - This is an outrage...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12825216%255E20322,00.html

Thanks for the welcome's everyone.

Just thats Tez's NRL Team, The Bronco's...... :oops: :oops:

Bruce
12th April 2005, 09:30 PM
Neither is likely to be a sell out so you can wait until the day to make your decision. Both grounds are equally accessable from the top end of Collins St. so you can just check the form going in to the game and the weather on the day.

The G will still have a fair bit of construction in July.

I might be up for watching my Cats do a number on the hawks - as long as we solve our complete inability to kick goals by July. It could happen...

markTHEblake
12th April 2005, 09:46 PM
Mandy, i visited the Dome a couple of years ago, even from the top row of seats the view was pretty good - in fact the higher up the better i reckon. They have done a good job as all seats are well above the row in front.

As for atmosphere, both games are going to be pretty dead, none of these teams are big crowd pullers. I think you will be lucky to get 20000 at the D, and 30000 to the G which means its not going to be much of an experience.

If you try real hard there are some much better games to see that weekend, the Friday night game the atmosphere will be insane - 40000+ under the roof and fairly one sided.

FRIDAY JULY 1
Collingwood vs Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome 7:40 PM AEST

SATURDAY JULY 2
Richmond vs Sydney Swans at M.C.G. 2:10 PM AEST
Essendon vs Kangaroos at Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

SUNDAY JULY 3
Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda at M.C.G. 2:10 PM AEST
Geelong vs Hawthorn at Telstra Dome 2:10 PM AEST

at the end of the day i would choose the MCG. The place is HUGE and you gotta go once.

you cant get the tickets until about 2 weeks before so might as well see how each team is travelling before making a decision.

Fishman Dan
12th April 2005, 10:41 PM
Amanda - you have to go to the MCG.

It's the worlds best stadium, and it's the definition of 'Cauldron' when it comes to sporting events. There isn't another sporting venue like it - and the atmosphere is awesome, no matter who is playing.

The Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda match is 2 Victorian teams - so even if the crowd isn't full, they will be passionate!

And an AFL game LIVE is far better to the 'untrained' than on TV.

amanda
13th April 2005, 08:29 AM
Blakey - Brad won't be coming down until Sunday morning - hence the Friday & Saturday games are out - which is a shame.

I wasn't sure how fast these things sell out - but since I know it's not likely - I will take Bruce & Blakey's advice and wait until the day.

marcel
13th April 2005, 08:37 AM
Another vote for the MCG amanda. (should also be the better game)
The place has so much history and atmosphere, Docklands whilst a good venue can't match it overall. Bit like going to Paddo and choosing between an old style pub and a nouveau tavern.

AndyP
13th April 2005, 08:56 AM
amanda, I just looked into the previous crowds for the two matches over the last few years, and I think you might get a crowd of about 28,000 to both of them, unless both teams playing are travelling really well at that time of year.

MCG has a capacity of about 100,000 (not sure what it is with the current construction work) and Telstra Dome has a capacity of 56,000, and is a lot more closed in.
There might be better atmosphere at Telstra Dome, because it will be half filled, whereas people might be spread out a bit at the G.
But then there is the prestige of the G.

As you say, just wait and see. But at least you can make an informed decision now. ;)

Fishman Dan
13th April 2005, 08:59 AM
Amanda - the Richmond vs Swans game will also be a cracker. Recently all of the old South Melbourne fans have come out of the closet to support the Swans, and their crowd numbers are up for their away games (in Melbourne).

That's the Saturday 2pm game, although you said you were going to wait until Sunday.

amanda
13th April 2005, 09:21 AM
Amanda - the Richmond vs Swans game will also be a cracker. Recently all of the old South Melbourne fans have come out of the closet to support the Swans, and their crowd numbers are up for their away games (in Melbourne).

That's the Saturday 2pm game, although you said you were going to wait until Sunday.
Thanks Fishy - unfortunately I'm in a PhD workshop all Friday and Saturday - damn!

AndyP
5th July 2005, 12:24 AM
OK, Mandy, tell us if you went to a game. And if you did, how was it?

Hope you went to the St Kilda v Bulldogs game, apparently it was a cracker.

markTHEblake
5th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Mandy is not back till thursday then she is off on holidays the next day so she may not get back to us for a while.