PDA

View Full Version : Experiences good & bad when changing home course

TheTrueReview
24th May 2010, 09:44 PM
I was just wondering how a few of the members have got on when they have changed membership in their town/city. I'm not talking about changing membership due to a job transfer away but just simply joining another local club for whatever reason.

Did you cop aggro or the cold shoulder from the members or persons you used to play with?

Or was it the opposite - all good, sweet as a nut?

markTHEblake
24th May 2010, 10:25 PM
Did you cop aggro or the cold shoulder from the members or persons you used to play with?

Did it two years ago, after 10 seasons at the original club, and whilst very nervous about some aggro when playing against the old boys, it come off exactly the opposite.

I guess each situation might be different, though, depends on the reasons for people changing, and whether you moved 'uptown' or downtown as I did. I think I also had a few points up me sleeve as I had a pretty good win record in matchplay with the old club.

PerryGroves
24th May 2010, 10:33 PM
I changed after 20 odd years (on and off) at the one club. I am going to live where I am for a fair while, club is 2 mins from home rather than a 30 minute drive. Still mates with the other boys, don't see them as much but still enough, we do a tour once a year. Still a house member at my old course and cop some digs about the the present course but its all in good fun.

Was wondering why you would be worried?

Dotty
24th May 2010, 10:37 PM
We've had a few move in/out of other clubs in the district, most for business reasons and some to follow friends/wife/kids.
A few have come back as guests on invatation days, and are well received. (They were also smart enough not to burn bridges on the way out.)

ParMaster has made a couple of moves between local clubs.

markTHEblake
24th May 2010, 11:07 PM
Its a fair question. If it was a footballer they might get headhunted the first time they meet up. Our highschool got banned from Aussie Rules for a few years for laying into some kids, smashed him up pretty bad ended up in hospital. Cant say he didnt deserve it, first class prick.

I have known a few people that have changed clubs more than once. When that happens there is always something smelly about that, probably a cheat, or a prick. Basically if you dont show loyalty, you are going to get a reputation whether its warranted or not.

Sydney Hacker
25th May 2010, 08:09 AM
We've had a few move in/out of other clubs in the district, most for business reasons and some to follow friends/wife/kids.
A few have come back as guests on invatation days, and are well received. (They were also smart enough not to burn bridges on the way out.)

ParMaster has made a couple of moves between local clubs.

Subtle... very very subtle!

Hawkers2008
25th May 2010, 01:00 PM
I chopped and changed clubs a bit when I lived in Canberra. Apart from the odd comment which were made mostly in fun it was no big deal. It never cost me any money joining fee wise so when I got jack of one of one it was easy to jump in somewhere else.

WBennett
25th May 2010, 02:57 PM
Hawkers

In Canberra, people seem to move around a fair bit - and it has a lot to do with small or non-existant joining fees at the majority of clubs who are all desperate for membership. Once I retire from footy, I'd like to move to Federal GC if I could get in without the couple of k nomination fee they are charging these days.

IanO
25th May 2010, 04:32 PM
I joined a cheap club when getting back into golf and then moved to a better club once I was sure I was going to continue playing. I still go back for a social round every now and then as they were a really nice bunch. I have never had a problem.

LeftyHoges
26th May 2010, 12:01 PM
I copped a bit of crap a few years back when I changed clubs. My brother (plays off scratch) moved too, but there was 25 years of 'history' behind it all that got to be too much.

Didn't bother me any though. 99% of the members and mates understood the problem and anyone who didnt, I explained it to. Only go to that club twice a year, three if unlucky. One is for charity, the other to win their trophies. The third is pennant. Be a cold day in hell when they get my money from me without me getting something in return now.

Hawkers2008
26th May 2010, 09:29 PM
Hawkers

In Canberra, people seem to move around a fair bit - and it has a lot to do with small or non-existant joining fees at the majority of clubs who are all desperate for membership. Once I retire from footy, I'd like to move to Federal GC if I could get in without the couple of k nomination fee they are charging these days.

Yep the joining fee situation made it easier to chop and change. I paid a joining when I joined Yowani but I am pretty sure I didn't pay one anywhere else. If I'd had to pay joining fees I might have been more circumspect and less inclined to swap around.

If I ever move back to Canberra subject to funds I think I would make Royal my home. If not I could be pretty happy with either Yowani or Queanbeyan. Federal is good too but If I was throwing cash around for joining fees I'd rather join Royal (or wait and save up to join it).