PDA

View Full Version : Can any Brisbane Golfers suggest a good teaching pro.

hopeihitstraight
23rd May 2010, 10:16 AM
I went to one pro and wanted to basically wanted to start from scratch. I said I play off 15 and he said you must start new basically. I just want someone that will listen to me and advise.Not just someone wanting 20 lessons just on the take away.

sms316
23rd May 2010, 10:23 AM
Who was the pro?

jaybam
23rd May 2010, 10:39 AM
Where you located at mate?

hopeihitstraight
23rd May 2010, 10:41 AM
The pro was at the Big Easy golf centre I think was last name Smith. Live in Woody Point but will travel dont care need to get it fixed.

sms316
23rd May 2010, 10:46 AM
Geoff Smith I think.

I see Chris Chaplin who is very good. Based at Keperra but does Wednesday arvo at the Big Easy as well.

hopeihitstraight
23rd May 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks SMS316 will try him out thanks for the name

gazgolf1
23rd May 2010, 11:21 AM
I was going to suggest Geoff Smith he has been good for me and others on this forum.

markTHEblake
23rd May 2010, 11:59 AM
HIHS: clearly the guy you have seen already is not a good coach, in that it seems he didn't find out from you what you are looking for.
But are you sure that you know what you are looking for from a lesson?

Are you looking for a quick fix, do you want long term improvement, are you going to practice, are you going to practice a lot?

These are the kinds of questions any potential coach should be asking, and many more. And then he develops a coaching program for you, whether that be one lesson or 20.

Gary Calder is such a coach, has a good reputation, and was or still is Qld girls coach, and has several coach of the year awards. You can find him at Indooroopilly golf club or through his business name Golf Club Innovations

hopeihitstraight
23rd May 2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the feed back all, I will take all info on board.

shazza_rs
23rd May 2010, 12:20 PM
I'd suggest that if Geoff Smith (the guy you saw) wanted to start from scratch then there must be some awful things going on in your swing.

He has given both Pete and I lessons and we have both benefited. Pete has a huge overswing, and Geoff didn't even try to change that because Pete's swing is all about tempo. If he doesn't have the overswing he doesn't get back to where he should be at impact. He also hasn't tried to change my swing either.

hopeihitstraight
23rd May 2010, 02:29 PM
Yes I see he is a good teacher but like I said I just want someone that will listen as well. I just dont see how 5 lessons just on a take away will want me to keep going. then it will be 5 lessons on top of swing and so forth then I havent done a full swing and have done 20 lessons. Well he tried to change me completely. So maybe I will ask a few questions and give another go with him.